RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 pm

nubballguy wrote:Gson, I think your analysis is flawed on Salazar's innings limitations. I just think your starting supposition is incorrect. My guess is a limit of around 130 innings. With about 100 under his belt going into tonight's start, I think he's got around 4 starts left on the season. Unless they convert some of those innings into the pen. Which I kind of think is unlikely. But not impossible.

If DiceK has another effective outing for Columbus his next time out, I think the chances of him being a stopgap become even more likely. Just my hunch.

Nubball.. you may be right and 130 IP is the number.. but I scoured the net for stories from reliable sources (Sources who actually have the Indians best interest as their primary agenda item) and only the Ross Atkins comment (and that was even added by the author) was found.. 3 years removed from TJ Surgery tells me that the surgery isn't the primary reason a limit is possibly being adhered to.. being 23 & in the major leagues while facing one of thee most dangerous lineups in baseball.. might add just a skoch of drama to the proceedings...

The kid did account for himself very well.. he didnt have the command of his change up like he did in his start with the Jays, but a 99 mph FB gives him a significant margin of error..

..and we'll just disagree about Dice-K.. he's done & going through the motions. He's an honorable guy and will play through the end of the season.. good for him..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:The experiment with ACab in the 4 hole MUST end!

the ACab experiment must end period. he's a terrible hitter this year . his OBP dropped under .300 his BA is going to drop under .240 and he's only getting 2 HRs a month! its Lindor time

As much as I want Lindor to be up here, he isn't ready yet.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Left Shaw out too long, IMO.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Man.. this one really hurts. No other way to put it. And if we lose tomorrow.... I'm not sure we can overcome that.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Left Shaw out too long, IMO.

Left Salazar out too long way back in the 8th inning.
absolutley terrible decision to leave him for a 4th time through the line-up in only his 2nd ML Start, just not enough experiance and he was near 100 pitches
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:35 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:

Left Salazar out too long way back in the 8th inning.
absolutley terrible decision to leave him for a 4th time through the line-up in only his 2nd ML Start, just not enough experiance and he was near 100 pitches

Completely agree with you, said the same thing on Twitter. He's never thrown that many pitches. I would have sat him down in the dugout prior to that inning and told him we'll let the bullpen finish this one out.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:38 pm

The Tigers just OWN Francona this year, No matter what he does he just cant figure out any possible way to put a good lineup/rotation to beat the Tigers. It would take an absolute miracle not to finish with a 10+ Game losing streak vs Detroit this year
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby nubballguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am

But, at that point, the score was tied, the team had already utilized 4 of their relievers and Shaw (#5) had handled things fairly efficiently with only a walk in the 11th and a bunt single in the 12th.
I know asking him to go three is a lot but, considering what the options were at the time, I can't really fault them in this case in trying to stretch it. Even if you want to say you should've pulled him after the leadoff double by Jackson, I think you have to look at the matchup at that moment and Tito decided Shaw vs. Hunter was better than bringing in the lefty there. In other words, he thought, get me the outs and I'll go to the matchup lefty vs. Fielder. Almost worked as he turned it over with the score still tied at that point. One way or the other, that was to be Shaw's final inning. Had Rzepczynski been able to do his job, he probably would have gone out for the 15th and Albers would've been in reserve should he have faltered or to pick it up in the 16th and beyond. After that, Kazmir probably would've gone. And/or UJ after that.

As for Salazar, would you have pulled him before the 8th started? If so, for whom? I mean, I know his velocity was "down" to "only" 96 on the one he threw for the home run but seriously, very few can even touch 96! I mean, it's not like he was really gassed and remember, he had two outs before the base hit by Hunter and then first pitch to Cabrera. I'm really not sure who to go with at that juncture. And hey, you got beat by Miguel Cabrera. That's gonna happen.

I will say I've been critical of Francona's pitching management at times this year but in this particular game, looking at it closely, I have to withhold criticism. Sometimes things just don't go your way. :sad
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 am

nubballguy wrote:

But, at that point, the score was tied, the team had already utilized 4 of their relievers and Shaw (#5) had handled things fairly efficiently with only a walk in the 11th and a bunt single in the 12th.
I know asking him to go three is a lot but, considering what the options were at the time, I can't really fault them in this case in trying to stretch it. Even if you want to say you should've pulled him after the leadoff double by Jackson, I think you have to look at the matchup at that moment and Tito decided Shaw vs. Hunter was better than bringing in the lefty there. In other words, he thought, get me the outs and I'll go to the matchup lefty vs. Fielder. Almost worked as he turned it over with the score still tied at that point. One way or the other, that was to be Shaw's final inning. Had Rzepczynski been able to do his job, he probably would have gone out for the 15th and Albers would've been in reserve should he have faltered or to pick it up in the 16th and beyond. After that, Kazmir probably would've gone. And/or UJ after that.

As for Salazar, would you have pulled him before the 8th started? If so, for whom? I mean, I know his velocity was "down" to "only" 96 on the one he threw for the home run but seriously, very few can even touch 96! I mean, it's not like he was really gassed and remember, he had two outs before the base hit by Hunter and then first pitch to Cabrera. I'm really not sure who to go with at that juncture. And hey, you got beat by Miguel Cabrera. That's gonna happen.

I will say I've been critical of Francona's pitching management at times this year but in this particular game, looking at it closely, I have to withhold criticism. Sometimes things just don't go your way. :sad

This I agree with.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am

Kenny Rosenthal just tweeted that the Indians are recalling Preston Guilmet, said he's unsure of who's going down.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

the Indians are 28-39 vs Playoff contenders and 34-13 vs everyone else

not very good, we are also 3-13 vs Detroit this year

we are something like 5-20 vs the AL East this year

Overrated? IMO you have to beat contenders to be considered a good team and i think we have maybe only won 4 series vs playoff contenders and 2 were vs the same team
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 am

Jordan Bastian tweeted out that Mark Reynolds has been DFA'd
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:47 am

Not disagreeing with the decision, but we have to be the first team to DFA the team leader in HRs (tied) in August while still in contention.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:the Indians are 28-39 vs Playoff contenders and 34-13 vs everyone else

Overrated? IMO you have to beat contenders to be considered a good team and i think we have maybe only won 4 series vs playoff contenders and 2 were vs the same team

That may be the case but teams have won the WS with just as poor records (see Cardinals a few years ago). Also, just being in a pennant race in September will go a long way to help this team take a step forward (financially and from a team attitude perspective).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:•The Twins believe they had enough interest in Justin Morneau that if he continues to hit well and shows power, he could be moved to a contender in a waiver deal. The Blue Jays might claim him but the Rays, Orioles, and Indians might also have some interest.

And things just got alot more interesting if the Twins let him go
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm

daingean wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:the Indians are 28-39 vs Playoff contenders and 34-13 vs everyone else

That may be the case but teams have won the WS with just as poor records (see Cardinals a few years ago). Also, just being in a pennant race in September will go a long way to help this team take a step forward (financially and from a team attitude perspective).

the Indians aren't even in the playoffs yet and Texas has an even easier schedule then we do
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Phillies put Michael Young on waivers and we didnt make a claim? Thats a surprise considering how bad we need a bat.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Phillies put Michael Young on waivers and we didnt make a claim? Thats a surprise considering how bad we need a bat.

full no-trade clause. It's extremely unlikely he accepts a trade here. Plus defense at 3B is God-aweful. Reason all 29 teams passed on him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Not disagreeing with the decision, but we have to be the first team to DFA the team leader in HRs (tied) in August while still in contention.

Yeah, kinda torn here too. He has been beyond terrible of late, but don't see how he was hurting the bench. Does have some pop and in about 3 weeks you can expand rosters. Doubtful anyone claims him but you never know.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:The experiment with ACab in the 4 hole MUST end!

Needs to be hitting no higher than 6th for the time being. Maybe lower.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Phillies put Michael Young on waivers and we didnt make a claim? Thats a surprise considering how bad we need a bat.

full no-trade clause. It's extremely unlikely he accepts a trade here. Plus defense at 3B is God-aweful. Reason all 29 teams passed on him.

dont need to play defense as a DH, plus its better then what Chisenhall/Reynolds bring. Theres a reason we're about to get swept in the biggest series of the year too.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:Not disagreeing with the decision, but we have to be the first team to DFA the team leader in HRs (tied) in August while still in contention.

Yeah, kinda torn here too. He has been beyond terrible of late, but don't see how he was hurting the bench. Does have some pop and in about 3 weeks you can expand rosters. Doubtful anyone claims him but you never know.

He was getting outplayed by Jason Giambi, they needed a roster spot for the pen, worst guy gets the boot and it happens to be reynolds
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:52 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

dont need to play defense as a DH, plus its better then what Chisenhall/Reynolds bring. Theres a reason we're about to get swept in the biggest series of the year too.

Tribe doesn't need a DH though. Raburn/Gomes both can play more and either DH (in Raburn's case) or move Santana to DH (in Gomes' case).

And again, Young wasn't accepting a trade here. you claim him and you don't get him, you still have to trade for him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Tribe doesn't need a DH though. Raburn/Gomes both can play more and either DH (in Raburn's case) or move Santana to DH (in Gomes' case).

And again, Young wasn't accepting a trade here. you claim him and you don't get him, you still have to trade for him.

Yes the tribe absoltuley need a DH. Young is a much better bat then Raburn and Gomes and its not even close. and again thats false.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:55 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

He was getting outplayed by Jason Giambi, they needed a roster spot for the pen, worst guy gets the boot and it happens to be reynolds

My issue is that I don't see the big need for the extra bullpen arm. Starters have still been going 7+ innings. Yeah we had an extra inning game yesterday...Allen threw 9 pitches (and didn't pitch Tuesday), Albers didn't pitch, Smith threw 14 (and didn't pitch Tuesday), Perez threw 13 (and didn't pitch Tuesday)...you're saying these 4 guys can't handle today's load? Even Hill should be available today. Not like it's a day game after a night.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

My issue is that I don't see the big need for the extra bullpen arm. Starters have still been going 7+ innings. Yeah we had an extra inning game yesterday...Allen threw 9 pitches (and didn't pitch Tuesday), Albers didn't pitch, Smith threw 14 (and didn't pitch Tuesday), Perez threw 13 (and didn't pitch Tuesday)...you're saying these 4 guys can't handle today's load? Even Hill should be available today. Not like it's a day game after a night.

the move isn't just for today, why waste a roster spot on someone who's not going to help the team?
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:01 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Yes the tribe absoltuley need a DH. Young is a much better bat then Raburn and Gomes and its not even close. and again thats false.

I agree that it's false that Young is a much better bat than Raburn or Gomes right now.

Young's OPS+ is 105, OPS is .747, has 8 HRs in over 400 PAs (in a great hitters park).
Gomes's OPS+ is 145, OPS is .875, has 8 HRs in less than 200 PAs (in a more pitchers park, especially for righties)
Raburn's OPS+ is 160, OPS is .925, has 13 HRs in 212 PAs (again in a more pitchers park for righties)

So...how is Young outhitting those guys???

I mean, would I take Michael Young? Sure, would be a nice bench bat/spot starter at DH at times, but he's not a guy I want everyday anymore, not with how well Gomes and Raburn are playing. I wouldn't have been opposed to getting him for a low-A guy/non-spec or a lesser bullpen arm though.

Also, Young still can be traded. Wouldn't hold my breath on him ending up in Cleveland though (again, full no-trade).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:01 pm

after Detroit puts the final nail in the coffin tonight and puts us 7 games back we have 3 with LAA and 3 with the twinkies, hopefully we end this stretch with a 6 game winning streak and get out of this 20 game stretch with a 15-5 record.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

the move isn't just for today, why waste a roster spot on someone who's not going to help the team?

If the Tribe doesn't play 14 innings yesterday, Reynolds is still on the big league club. This was a move for today.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I agree that it's false that Young is a much better bat than Raburn or Gomes right now.

Young's OPS+ is 105, OPS is .747, has 8 HRs in over 400 PAs (in a great hitters park).
Gomes's OPS+ is 145, OPS is .875, has 8 HRs in less than 200 PAs (in a more pitchers park, especially for righties)
Raburn's OPS+ is 160, OPS is .925, has 13 HRs in 212 PAs (again in a more pitchers park for righties)

I mean, would I take Michael Young? Sure, would be a nice bench bat/spot starter at DH at times, but he's not a guy I want everyday anymore, not with how well Gomes and Raburn are playing. I wouldn't have been opposed to getting him for a low-A guy/non-spec or a lesser bullpen arm though.

Also, Young still can be traded. Wouldn't hold my breath on him ending up in Cleveland though (again, full no-trade).

:lol in what universe do stats tell the whole story again?
Gomes has been a streaky hitter this year and Raburn has a history of being bad as an everyday hitter, thats way more then enough for me to know Young is a much much better option then either one. and again Full no trade means absolutley nothing.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

If the Tribe doesn't play 14 innings yesterday, Reynolds is still on the big league club. This was a move for today.

Nope, Couldn't possibly be anymore wrong if you tried.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:07 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Gomes has been a streaky hitter this year and Raburn has a history of being bad as an everyday hitter, thats way more then enough for me to know Young is a much much better option then either one. and again Full no trade means absolutley nothing.

Full no trade means A TON. Are you kidding? The only teams I could see him accepting a trade to are the Yankees and the Rangers. Why the hell would he waive his no trade to come to Cleveland? He has no connections here either.

By the way, Gomes a streaky hitter? Or is that because you think Marson is better? :lol
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Unknown team has claimed Rios.

He's owed a ton...but would be a bold move if it was Cleveland. Personally think he's overrated but would be in a contract year next year potentially ($13.5M option for 2015).

Texas is the one that makes the most sense but maybe a team like Cleveland tried blocking them..
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:11 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Full no trade means A TON. Are you kidding? The only teams I could see him accepting a trade to are the Yankees and the Rangers. Why the hell would he waive his no trade to come to Cleveland? He has no connections here either.

By the way, Gomes a streaky hitter? Or is that because you think Marson is better? :lol

Full trade means nothing. and Yes Gomes is a streaky hitter
he has 2 months of batting under .250 and 2 months over .300, explain how not consistantley hitting anywhere close to the same averages month after month isn't streaky ? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thats got to be the first time in baseball history someone can bat .200, .370, .244, .313 and not be considered inconsistant or streaky, im literally dying of laughter over this clowns post sometimes :lol :lol :lol :lol
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Unknown team has claimed Rios.

He's owed a ton...but would be a bold move if it was Cleveland. Personally think he's overrated but would be in a contract year next year potentially ($13.5M option for 2015).

Texas is the one that makes the most sense but maybe a team like Cleveland tried blocking them..

I talked about this today on The Inside Pitch, put going after a guy like Rios or Dunn would make some sense because after this season.. they have money coming off the books in Reynolds, Ubaldo, Perez (probably), Cabrera (probably), Myers.. so something like this wouldn't shock me per se.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Unknown team has claimed Rios.

I talked about this today on The Inside Pitch, put going after a guy like Rios or Dunn would make some sense because after this season.. they have money coming off the books in Reynolds, Ubaldo, Perez (probably), Cabrera (probably), Myers.. so something like this wouldn't shock me per se.

I'd rather have Dunn of the 2 personally (more power, better OBP). Another guy I could see Texas going after. Would want the ChiSox to pick up some money on either player though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Rios would probably be a DH, Stubbs has been better then Rios in the field
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

he has 2 months of batting under .250 and 2 months over .300, explain how not consistantley hitting anywhere close to the same averages month after month isn't streaky ? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thats got to be the first time in baseball history someone can bat .200, .370, .244, .313 and not be considered inconsistant or streaky, im literally dying of laughter over this clowns post sometimes :lol :lol :lol :lol

In April, he hit .200, but also only had 25 at-bats... in his first real taste of the big leagues.
.244 I'll give you, BUT.. it's called a slump. Every hitter goes through it. AND, if you want to include that .244, he's hitting .296 from June through August. Take out that month of April in general, so May through August, he's hitting .321. Yeah... real streaky.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

In April, he hit .200, but also only had 25 at-bats... in his first real taste of the big leagues.
.244 I'll give you, BUT.. it's called a slump. Every hitter goes through it. AND, if you want to include that .244, he's hitting .296 from June through August. Take out that month of April in general, so May through August, he's hitting .321. Yeah... real streaky.

Who knew August only had 8 Days in it :lol Take out that month of July and he sucks, works both ways. Its also called a fluke like may, every hitter goes through it. Yeah he is real streaky
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Who knew August only had 8 Days in it :lol Take out that month of July and he sucks, works both ways. Its also called a fluke like may, every hitter goes through it. Yeah he is real streaky

Actually, if you take out the month of July, he's still hitting .300 even. :lol :lol :lol
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:47 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Actually, if you take out the month of July, he's still hitting .300 even. :lol :lol :lol

and he still hit .200 and .244 in 2 months of the year :lol :lol :lol
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:10 pm

An unknown team has claimed Alex Rios...... Hmm could it possibly be our Cleveland Indians?? Would be a pretty good fit if you ask me... Odd are though, at least in my opinion that it is more than likely he was claimed by whatever team to block another team.

Still though - for the right price I would love to have him for the remainder of the year and next.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:19 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Rios would probably be a DH, Stubbs has been better then Rios in the field

Rios would start in RF. Raburn/Giambi would DH (with Santana filling in when Gomes catches). Stubbs would move to the bench and be a late inning replacement (though Rios isn't a bad RFer) and pinch runner. That's assuming a guy like Stubbs isn't included in the deal...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Rios would probably be a DH, Stubbs has been better then Rios in the field

Rios would start in RF. Raburn/Giambi would DH (with Santana filling in when Gomes catches). Stubbs would move to the bench and be a late inning replacementquote]

Nope
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Moot point, Rangers claimed Rios
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Moot point, Rangers claimed Rios

Not entirely moot, as the Indians have the lower record at the moment and could have out-claimed him. I guess they weren't interested.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Edible14 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Moot point, Rangers claimed Rios

Not entirely moot, as the Indians have the lower record at the moment and could have out-claimed him. I guess they weren't interested.

Especially considering Texas is in the WC hunt with us.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Jordan Bastian said on STO the Indians are still very high on Lonnie Chisenhall and when the Cubs asked for Chisenhall for Garza the Indians ended the conversation. Not sure why they still so high on him, he'll be 25 next year while accomplishing nothing past AAA and still sucks vs left handers.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:21 pm

3:29pm: The Rangers and White Sox "weren't even close" on an agreement when discussing Rios prior to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, tweets Danny Knobler of CBS Sports. Knobler also tweets that Rios was placed on waivers on Monday, and the deadline to work out a deal for him is tomorrow. That would suggest that Rios was claimed earlier in the week, but the news only broke today.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Jordan Bastian said on STO the Indians are still very high on Lonnie Chisenhall and when the Cubs asked for Chisenhall for Garza the Indians ended the conversation. Not sure why they still so high on him, he'll be 25 next year while accomplishing nothing past AAA and still sucks vs left handers.

To be fair, the price was likely not just Chisenhall. Given what the Rangers gave up for him, it was likely Chiz, one of our middle infield prospects (not Lindor), Salazar and something else. And the Indians would have also had to turn around and deal Jimenez or call down Kluber/McAllister. And they would have had a black hole at 3B once again. Chisenhall hasn't been great, but at least he's a decent defender there (as opposed to Mark Reynolds). Aviles can play there in a pinch, but he's not a natural 3B by any stretch (backed up by UZR ratings, which have him as above average over his career at 2B/SS, but significantly below average at 3B), and his hitting isn't actually that much better than Chisenhall. The best configuration for the Indians at this point has them platooning Aviles and Chisenhall there, not starting Aviles and foresaking all of that lineup flexibility that he gives you off the bench.

And again, Garza wasn't *that big* of an upgrade over your current rotation. The rotation is not the problem in Cleveland. The problem is the bullpen (which is hard to fix because nearly all relievers are volatile).
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors