Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 am

Just curious, anyone have or know where a rule 5 list is for this offseason?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 am

Musing on a Monday morning.. knowing full well a west coast string of games is upon us...

-Masty was nasty.. Okay, he didn't get the N0-N0, but he pitched through the seventh inning and didn't walk anyone. The eight K's were impressive, but the 'no walks' showed, this is how to pitch.. After the first two games of this series being given away, Masterson showed true stopper ability..

-Michael Brantley & Jason Kipnis..those guys need to bat closer together in the order..Kipnis is just KILLING the ball.. The best thing for an opposing pitcher w/ the JK-Kid is to walk him..

-CC Lee.. you don't throw strikes you don't pitch. I'd love to see that kind of fast hook on more than just the bullpen kids. Albers and Hagadone and Allen.. all need to know..If you're brought into the game, throw strikes or your night is going to be very very VERY short. A few more bus rides may be in the future too..

-CP Rage.. While it might have been the circumstances of the game (Indians with a six run lead) / ninth inning thing, but CP just blew away Joe Mauer. Mauer had ZERO chance of doing anything against those nasty tailing fastballs..

Onto the great north west.. where the Indians will not get to see Felix Hernandez..Yeah... I know, I wept just a little too.. The Mariners have suddenly caught fire.. sweeping three games against the slumping Angels before the break, then showing dominance by sweeping the largely pathetic Astros for three after the break. This moves the Mariners from a dull / depressing 14 games out fourth place to within one game of being in a dull / depressing 11 games out in third place in the division. A strong showing over the next seven/eight games by the Mariners.. may save Eric Wegde's job.. If a one week period of time is needed for that...then the writing is on the wall...

The matchups for this series should favor the Indians.. Ubaldo versus the Harangutang face off in the opening game. Ubaldo could have those competitive juices piqued after watching his stablemates throw two consecutive outstanding performances.. Ubaldo doesn't want to break the string. Then comes the return of the Z-mac Attack against the M's Erasmo Ramirez, a youngster making his second start in the ML's after a long bout on the DL for elbow issues (his first start wasn't pretty..not pretty at all). The only word that's been uttered regarding McAllister's rehab was, in his last session, all of his pitches were thrown and he was just nasty, throwing bullets and hooks. Perhaps this will translate to the mound on Tuesday evening.. The Wednesday finale will be a matinee featuring Joe Saunders and his garbage can full of stuff on the bump while the Indians attempt to get a W while Rocking the Kazmir..

Should be a good series..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:45 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Just curious, anyone have or know where a rule 5 list is for this offseason?

Tony was kind enough to list that under the reference tab.. Both for 2013 eligible and eligible for drafts beyond 2013.

It appears that there will be some interesting decisions to be made by the FO.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:i really think the Indians are a 3B, #1 or #2 SP and DH away from being the favorites in the ALC.

between Myers, Jimenez and Reynolds the Indians gain 27.5 Mil, plus the 40 Mil from the TV sale, say some guys on the team get new deals/raises in their contracts takes 17-27 Mil off (Mastersons going to be a bit expensive IMO) theres still 40-50 Mil to spend away.

i say go after young for 5-7 Mil because at 36 he's still hitting almost .290 with a .350 OBP and playing pretty good defense im sure you wont see a major dropoff or go after Peralta if you think he can play 3B. go get Morales for 4-6 Mil so you're already at max 13 Mil spent then go get one of Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Bring back kazmir if he's willing to be a LHP BP guy (probably not)

i like the idea of

Masterson,Johnson,McAllister, Salazar, Kluber in the rotation
Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

in the lineup and field and you have a playoff team and maybe 90 win team

ha, that's all?

I wouldn't hate Young but he is TERRIBLE defensively at 3B. He has not played "pretty good defense". Hasn't played "pretty bad" defense either...he's flat out terrible. Right up there with Reynolds. Young would be a nice DH grab if the deal is right though.

Also, love the optimism, but there won't be $40M+ to spend next year on top of what they already have. They are already looking at a payroll around $84M without adding a single player. Sure maybe they move Perez and save money, but adding $40M would be putting them around $115-120M....never, ever gonna happen. $85-90M is tops you'll likely see.

Personally don't touch Johnson. May cost you a draft pick, plus not that special. He's Bedard 2.0. Stay away. Lincecum...in the AL with the troubles he's had, maybe on a 1-year incentive laden deal but he's not the same guy he was a few years ago (no hitter or not). Garza would be nice, especially if he's dealt this summer (then he won't cost a pick). May be out of our price range though after the spending spree last year.

Yeah "thats all" considering what they did last year, they could even do better. Young has stats wise been in the top half of baseball defense wise this year, sounds pretty good to me. lightyears better then what we have. not sure what baseball you are watching.

i just showed where theres room to add all the money, again not sure you have a single clue of what you're talking about. but hey keep talking out you're ass, you seem to think you're good at it.

lol

Young has the stats of a top defensive 3B this year huh?

His Total Zones fielding above average is -6...which is well below average
His Defensive runs saves is -12...way below average.
His UZR is -8.9...UZR/150 is -16.6...way below average.
His FRAA is -7.6...way below average.

So..um...yeah, not sure exactly what "stats" you are looking at... :rolleyes

Not to mention every scout/baseball exec out there agrees Young is terrible defensively at 3B....

ha, and no you didn't show how to add money. I could show you how it will be very, very difficult to add money next year if you really want as I actually keep track of future payrolls and try and see where the Tribe will be not just this year but at least a year into the future.

Show me the EXACT words that i said top, i said top half.
But hey keep trolling with you're useless garbage, someday you might make a valid point
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:i really think the Indians are a 3B, #1 or #2 SP and DH away from being the favorites in the ALC.

between Myers, Jimenez and Reynolds the Indians gain 27.5 Mil, plus the 40 Mil from the TV sale, say some guys on the team get new deals/raises in their contracts takes 17-27 Mil off (Mastersons going to be a bit expensive IMO) theres still 40-50 Mil to spend away.

i say go after young for 5-7 Mil because at 36 he's still hitting almost .290 with a .350 OBP and playing pretty good defense im sure you wont see a major dropoff or go after Peralta if you think he can play 3B. go get Morales for 4-6 Mil so you're already at max 13 Mil spent then go get one of Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Bring back kazmir if he's willing to be a LHP BP guy (probably not)

i like the idea of

Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

ha, that's all?

I wouldn't hate Young but he is TERRIBLE defensively at 3B. He has not played "pretty good defense". Hasn't played "pretty bad" defense either...he's flat out terrible. Right up there with Reynolds. Young would be a nice DH grab if the deal is right though.

Also, love the optimism, but there won't be $40M+ to spend next year on top of what they already have. They are already looking at a payroll around $84M without adding a single player. Sure maybe they move Perez and save money, but adding $40M would be putting them around $115-120M....never, ever gonna happen. $85-90M is tops you'll likely see.

Personally don't touch Johnson. May cost you a draft pick, plus not that special. He's Bedard 2.0. Stay away. Lincecum...in the AL with the troubles he's had, maybe on a 1-year incentive laden deal but he's not the same guy he was a few years ago (no hitter or not). Garza would be nice, especially if he's dealt this summer (then he won't cost a pick). May be out of our price range though after the spending spree last year.

Yeah "thats all" considering what they did last year, they could even do better. Young has stats wise been in the top half of baseball defense wise this year, sounds pretty good to me. lightyears better then what we have. not sure what baseball you are watching.

i just showed where theres room to add all the money, again not sure you have a single clue of what you're talking about. but hey keep talking out you're ass, you seem to think you're good at it.

lol

Not to mention every scout/baseball exec out there agrees Young is terrible defensively at 3B....

ha, and no you didn't show how to add money. I could show you how it will be very, very difficult to add money next year if you really want as I actually keep track of future payrolls and try and see where the Tribe will be not just this year but at least a year into the future.

But hey keep trolling with you're useless garbage, someday you might make a valid point

Enough is enough with calling each other trolls, insulting each other, and whatever else is going on. Difference of opinions is welcomed on the boards, but I won't tolerate the insults. Simmer it down.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:04 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Yeah "thats all" considering what they did last year, they could even do better. Young has stats wise been in the top half of baseball defense wise this year, sounds pretty good to me. lightyears better then what we have. not sure what baseball you are watching.

lol

He is NOT top half, that's the point.

Out of 54 MLB 3B, he has the 3rd worst FRAA...that's 52nd out of 54, not even close to top half.
Out of 23 qualified MLB 3B, Young has the 3rd worst UZR/150...that's 21st out of 23, not even close to top half.
Out of 23 qualified MLB 3B, Young has the 3rd worst UZR...that's 21st out of 23, not even close to top half.
Out of 24 qualified MLB 3B, Young has the WORST dWAR...that's 24th out of 24....you guessed it (I hope), not even close to top half.

Heck, even his fielding percentage isn't top half of the league (16th out of 24).

Again, I wouldn't mind his bat (a decent DH) but the guy is one of the worst defensive 3Bs in baseball. STATS prove that....and even better, watching him play one can easily see that too. But if you really think he is a top half defensive 3B then fine....still would like to see what "stats" you have that show he is but o well...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:05 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

i like the idea of

Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

ha, that's all?

lol

Enough is enough with calling each other trolls, insulting each other, and whatever else is going on. Difference of opinions is welcomed on the boards, but I won't tolerate the insults. Simmer it down.

Haven't called anyone a troll, not insulted. Simply posted facts :ugeek
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

i like the idea of

Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

ha, that's all?

lol

Haven't called anyone a troll, not insulted. Simply posted facts :ugeek

It wasn't necessarily aimed at you Hermie. You're a long time poster here and you're part of the family/community here. The fight between G'Son and ASU though has to stop.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:04 pm

This probably deserves it's own thread (but o well)...

Ryan Braun suspended the rest of the season!! 65 games, no pay. He's not appealing...

And people wonder why fans don't believe anything players say anymore??
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Just curious, anyone have or know where a rule 5 list is for this offseason?

Tony was kind enough to list that under the reference tab.. Both for 2013 eligible and eligible for drafts beyond 2013.

Moncrief, Aguilar and Soto are names that seem relevant to me. Lowery and Chen are putting up good numbers in Akron, but I doubt they add either. Packer, Austin Adams, Flores and Tejada are all bullpen guys that might get some consideration, but I expect none of them to be added. Most of the top prospects who aren't on the roster don't need to be added (Lindor, RRod, Ramirez, Cody Anderson), so it shouldn't be terribly exciting this year. Shouldn't be too hard to clear space for them either. Myers, Marson, Reynolds, Albers, Joe Smith, Giambi, Rich Hill and Raburn all figure to be off the roster after year's end. And you've still got disposable guys like Juan Diaz and Joe Martinez taking up roster spots, before you even have to make tough decisions on guys like Herrman and Tomlin.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:51 am

CC Lee going back to the minors for McAllister
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:

Thanks, MT88 appreciate the tip.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby timdav » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 am

The Indians are 1-4 since the All-Star break. Kicking the ball all over the yards, not really hitting or pitching.

Except for '07 and 4 or 5 years in the 90's....this has been Indians baseball for the most part since the late 1950's...the last 6 decades. And folks wonder why home attendance is so bad. Wow!

The culture of this organization has to some how be upgraded top to bottom or expect more of the same in the future. Francona, IMHO, is a great start. But, he can't do it alone.

You want to be positive and upbeat...but, it's not easy.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 am

Looks like an ugly ending last night.

timdav wrote:The Indians are 1-4 since the All-Star break. Kicking the ball all over the yards, not really hitting or pitching.

Except for '07 and 4 or 5 years in the 90's....this has been Indians baseball for the most part since the late 1950's...the last 6 decades. And folks wonder why home attendance is so bad. Wow!

The culture of this organization has to some how be upgraded top to bottom or expect more of the same in the future. Francona, IMHO, is a great start. But, he can't do it alone.

Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:57 am

Bearcatbob wrote:Looks like an ugly ending last night.

timdav wrote:The Indians are 1-4 since the All-Star break. Kicking the ball all over the yards, not really hitting or pitching.

Oh.. it was culture that caused Lonnie to drop that pop up or why he threw the ball wildly to first base while Mark Reynolds did the splits instead of GETTING IN FRONT OF THE DAMN BALL%@#!!!

If it was easy, everyone would be uber-successful..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 am

Aviles must be dying.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 pm

The team must decide if they are going to suffer the rest of the year with Chisenhall errors for the sake of next year - or make a run for it this year. Some kind of decision on Reynolds is necessary as well.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Bourn with a grandslam, time to bat him 4th!
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Musings after another salvage W from a road series.. 2-4 after the break, so far.. :mad

-The Bourn Supremacy!!!

-Asdrubal's batting eye is coming back.. if the move to the four hole generates better focus.. then WOW.. Tito for MOY !. Even Swisher is having better at bats..

-Could anyone see Rocking the Kazmir coming?. This man has been amazing.. Sign him up !.. The rest of the starting staff.. all doing their job.. As Lou Brown said.."...we're contenders now.." Let's hope the Tigers continue to fumble along with their superior talent and lack of focus.. Perhaps the Indians can steal this division?..

Texas is not going to be easy.. Saturday night.. is going to be a fun game.. I'm looking forward to being there...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 am

With the pitching they've been getting the Indians could have easily been 5-1 or even 6-0 on this road trip with just mediocre defense and a couple of timely hits. Maybe yesterday's 10-run outburst will get the bats going, along with a return to home cooking.

But they can't continue to score 7 or 10 runs in one game, then go three games where they score 1 or 2.

I want to see more Raburn and less Swisher and Reynolds. And Francona needs to get the infielders to stop throwing sidearm.

I'd have Gomes catch every day, put Santana at first and Raburn at DH. Chiz and Reynolds can platoon at 3rd and let's pray that not too many balls are hit their way. Swisher needs some time off to strengthen his shoulder. When he does play it should be against left-handed pitching. His OPS right-handed is .847 versus only .687 hitting lefty. He was swinging and missing a 90 mph fastball right down the middle hitting left-handed.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 am

Prosecutor wrote:With the pitching they've been getting the Indians could have easily been 5-1 or even 6-0 on this road trip with just mediocre defense and a couple of timely hits. Maybe yesterday's 10-run outburst will get the bats going, along with a return to home cooking.

But they can't continue to score 7 or 10 runs in one game, then go three games where they score 1 or 2.

I want to see more Raburn and less Swisher and Reynolds. And Francona needs to get the infielders to stop throwing sidearm.

I'd have Gomes catch every day, put Santana at first and Raburn at DH. Chiz and Reynolds can platoon at 3rd and let's pray that not too many balls are hit their way. Swisher needs some time off to strengthen his shoulder. When he does play it should be against left-handed pitching. His OPS right-handed is .847 versus only .687 hitting lefty. He was swinging and missing a 90 mph fastball right down the middle hitting left-handed.

good thing you're not managing then. Raburn is a career bench guy, not someone good enough to be a full time starter. Gomes isn't good enough at the plate to catch every day, his last 20 games have been pretty bad and going down hill (4 less XBH, 6 less RBI, .20 less BA, etc) in the same amount of ABs as his first 22 games, might as well just have Lou Marson at the plate at this point
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:14 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:With the pitching they've been getting the Indians could have easily been 5-1 or even 6-0 on this road trip with just mediocre defense and a couple of timely hits. Maybe yesterday's 10-run outburst will get the bats going, along with a return to home cooking.

good thing you're not managing then. Raburn is a career bench guy, not someone good enough to be a full time starter. Gomes isn't good enough at the plate to catch every day, his last 20 games have been pretty bad and going down hill (4 less XBH, 6 less RBI, .20 less BA, etc) in the same amount of ABs as his first 22 games, might as well just have Lou Marson at the plate at this point

Gomes > Marson .. even with Gomes struggling lately, I still don't even question Gomes > Marson.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:

Gomes > Marson .. even with Gomes struggling lately, I still don't even question Gomes > Marson.

Marson>Gomes. not even close. People like you rode Gomes coattails when he had a hot streak and now he cant hit his way out of a wet paper bag and people still think he's good. :lol
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:

Marson>Gomes. not even close. People like you rode Gomes coattails when he had a hot streak and now he cant hit his way out of a wet paper bag and people still think he's good. :lol

You're joking, right?

In 2012, Lou Marson had 195 AB.. .226, 27 R, 8 2B, 2 3B, 0 HR, 13 RBI.. .348 OBP/.287 SLG/.635 OPS, 0.1 WAR
In 2013, Yan Gomes has 141 AB.. .270, 22 R, 7 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 22 RBI.. .303 OBP/.496 SLG/.799 OPS, 1.5 WAR

Yan Gomes caught stealing percentage: 55%, .997 fielding percentage, 8.28 range factor, 2 pass balls, catcher's ERA 4.01, 0.7 dWAR

Lou Marson caught stealing percentage (2012): 14%, .993 fielding percentage, 7.3 range factor, 2 pass balls, catcher's ERA 4.94.. couldn't find the dWAR.

Yan Gomes has straight across the board better numbers defensively and offensively, wins in 6 categories, some of which because he has less at-bats than Lou.

Go ahead and tell me how Lou Marson is still better than Yan Gomes.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:good thing you're not managing then. Raburn is a career bench guy, not someone good enough to be a full time starter. Gomes isn't good enough at the plate to catch every day, his last 20 games have been pretty bad and going down hill (4 less XBH, 6 less RBI, .20 less BA, etc) in the same amount of ABs as his first 22 games, might as well just have Lou Marson at the plate at this point

In his last 20 games he's hit 2 HRs with a .657 OPS. Clearly not great....but then again, Salvador Perez was an All-Star this year behind the plate and has hit 4 HRs and has a .695 OPS on the year. So even in a "bad" stretch Gomes has been nearly been as good as an All-Star catcher.

Gomes has only 152 PAs and 42 games played...yet he's 13th in All of baseball with a 1.5 brWAR. He's 12th in All of baseball with a 1.6 fWAR....higher than Salvador Perez (All-Star), Pierzynski, Rosario, and others.

I'm a huge Marson fan still, but Gomes has been very good this year, even in this slump of his (if you can call it that). Been better than Marson's ever been.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:04 am

I'd like to take the time to note that for about 2 months last year, due to a small number of successful at-bats, Lou Marson had better offensive numbers than Carlos Santana. Small sample sizes can do weird things like make you think batting Jose Lopez at cleanup is a good idea.

I'd like to see a bit more Raburn to give Reynolds some time off (as well as Stubbs/Bourn/Brantley), but let's not get ahead of ourselves. And my biggest concern with Gomes is that he wouldn't be a terribly good defensive catcher, but just about everything I've seen suggests that he's as good if not better than Marson defensively, while clearly being a superior hitter. I'm not getting carried away by what he's done with the bat, but even if that IS a mirage of sorts, he's still better than Marson.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am

To start off this response.. as assumption needs to be made.. The question being discussed is who is a better back up catcher for the Indians? Lou Marson, who doesn't have 20 ABs in 2013, a sore shoulder and is coming off three seasons 2010, 2011 and 2012 where he batted .195. .230 and .226, respectively in an average of 230 AB's? and Yan Gomes?

The same Obi Yan who has a solid .270 season working in 2013 and had a combined 2012 season (MiLB and MLB) of .nearly .300?..has almost twice as many home runs in just over a half season in 2013 as Marson has had in his entire major league career.. There is no comparison.. this is a slam dunk...

ASU <== clueless..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 am

GeronimoSon wrote:To start off this response.. as assumption needs to be made.. The question being discussed is who is a better back up catcher for the Indians? Lou Marson, who doesn't have 20 ABs in 2013, a sore shoulder and is coming off three seasons 2010, 2011 and 2012 where he batted .195. .230 and .226, respectively in an average of 230 AB's? and Yan Gomes?

The same Obi Yan who has a solid .270 season working in 2013 and had a combined 2012 season (MiLB and MLB) of .nearly .300?..has almost twice as many home runs in just over a half season in 2013 as Marson has had in his entire major league career.. There is no comparison.. this is a slam dunk...

ASU <== clueless..

Micheal Bourn for Cleanup hitter!
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby nubballguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm

ASUTribefan: why do you think Marson is better than Gomes? On the surface, as a casual fan, Gomes seems superior to me so I'm really curious to know specifically why you think this is not the case. Thanks.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:47 am

Okay.. so there was a little bit of drama tonight...

-Congrats to Rabe's... beautiful swing.. those poor ranger pitchers.. they hang em..we bang em..

-Bullpen melt down..Part 1.. Cody Allen just couldn't throw strikes with his slider..

-BMD Part 2: Joe Smith..was getting pinched on balls that were strikes. Tim McClelland has to learn that home plate is 17 inches wide PLUS the width of the ball on BOTH sides of the plate..His calls are what got to Joe Smith.. nothing even close to the edge of the plate was being called a strike. Umpires that are this inconsistent will be the end of called balls and strikes.. Computer simulations and graphics are 100 % reliable, consistent and increase the safety of anyone dumb enough to stand or squat behind the plate for a living..

-Congrats to the Swisher... two games.. two dingers..

-Bottom of the order.. 7/14, five runs, two RBi's. (Dr Smoooooove, Aviles & Stubbs)..

Game two tomorrow night.. the showcase game.. their best.. versus our best on the hill.. T-Shirts/Jerseys and Fireworks!!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Okay.. so there was a little bit of drama tonight...

-Congrats to Rabe's... beautiful swing.. those poor ranger pitchers.. they hang em..we bang em..

-Bullpen melt down..Part 1.. Cody Allen just couldn't throw strikes with his slider..

-BMD Part 2: Joe Smith..was getting pinched on balls that were strikes. Tim McClelland has to learn that home plate is 17 inches wide PLUS the width of the ball on BOTH sides of the plate..His calls are what got to Joe Smith.. nothing even close to the edge of the plate was being called a strike. Umpires that are this inconsistent will be the end of called balls and strikes.. Computer simulations and graphics are 100 % reliable, consistent and increase the safety of anyone dumb enough to stand or squat behind the plate for a living..

-Congrats to the Swisher... two games.. two dingers..

-Bottom of the order.. 7/14, five runs, two RBi's. (Dr Smoooooove, Aviles & Stubbs)..

Game two tomorrow night.. the showcase game.. their best.. versus our best on the hill.. T-Shirts/Jerseys and Fireworks!!

Smith actually wasn't getting squeezed that much, at least no more than any of the other Rangers/Indians pitchers. I gotta disagree on the computer simulations/graphics being 100% reliable. Nothing is 100% reliable if it's man-made. There was a pitch yesterday that showed up twice on the strikezone graphics...first showed up a bit off the plate, then it switched a second later to being a few inches over the plate. Obviously a computer system would be more accurate than a human back there, but it's far from fullproof. Plus most umps are pretty solid back there. McClelland was far from perfect back there yesterday but he was pretty consistent.

Ugly game for the bullpen though was great to see CP go 2 innings. That 9th may have been the best inning of his career. 5 pitches...3 outs? Let's please see some more of that! :cool

Gotta love how guys like Aviles and Raburn stepped up yesterday. It's been said before, but bears repeating...this bench is so much better than last year's bench, or any bench we've had in a long time. Both those guys need to be in the lineup more IMO, especially Raburn. Yes, he was terrible last year but very solid the previous 3 and he isn't on pace to get as many ABs as he had those years. Nearly had 400 plate appearances a couple years ago and was still solid. Give him that many this year and he'll get 20 HRs.

Also, suppose kudos are due for Francona for sticking with Raburn in the 8th. I know lots of us get on managers when they make a bad move, and while Raburn didn't get the job done in the 8th (with 2 men on, go ahead run in scoring position), he did later in the game (obviously).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 pm

What a 180 from yesterday's game. Great pitcher's duel (not that surprising considering who the starters were though). Lil scary there when the ball left Beltre's bat against Smith but not much carried today. Great finish by Perez too. Dare I say, the last few outings are some of the best he's ever looked as an Indian. Not saying trade him per se...but man he is seems to be raising his value...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 am

A few notes from last night's game...

Yu can't believe how good that game was... On edge.. every at bat.. how many k's were there?. Every ball hit.. seemed like it mattered.. It was a non-playoff game played at the intensity level of a playoff game.. The best kind of game there is..

Seemed like a tourist crowd.. they didn't really get into the game until after the 7th inning.. even then it was more guarded/fearful of impending doom as opposed to cheering on the team for an incredibly well played intense nail biting game.

Masty's standing O on his departure = $$$.

We were just sitting down when The Bourn Supremacy made his mark.. who coulda thought that two and a half hours later.. that would still be the only tally of the evening.. Just a great game... was thrilled to see it..

Yeah.. "he is seems to be" sound about right...lol..

oh.. and Jimmy Johns JJ Garg before the game was pretty good too..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:02 pm

No better way to start the home stand than how we just did. 3 game sweep of a tough Ranges team. 21 straight scoreless innings by the pitching staff. Ubaldo going 8 innings!?!? Love it.

If Red Sox hold on we are only 1 behind the O's for the last wild card spot...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 am

Hermie13 wrote:No better way to start the home stand than how we just did. 3 game sweep of a tough Ranges team. 21 straight scoreless innings by the pitching staff. Ubaldo going 8 innings!?!? Love it.

If Red Sox hold on we are only 1 behind the O's for the last wild card spot...

They did and we are..Nice finish with the sweeeep by the Sons of Geronimo...

-The pitching remains the story for the weekend.. After Friday night's slugfest.. Two solidly pitched games.. Good job by Ubaldo and Masterson..

-Bourn is continuing to set the table.. IDK where Tony's story over the weekend was going, but a few percentage points here or there leading to disappointment? after this club has score over 100 run more than at the same time last year?. That story rang hollow or was less than pithy..

-Defense was played the last two games.. Ryan "Face Plant" Raburn goin and gettin it.. Dr Smoooove with the magic arm... and the unturn DP by Drooobs laying out to stop a ball going through the middle.. All said these guys are bustin it..

Onto the Pale Hose this evening.. Danks on the hill for the CWSox.. a guy the Indians have made a habit of handling.. versus Z-Mac.. we'll see if the last outing was his means of shaking off the rust.. It wasn't a very good outing.. and he didn't really finish well.. So, tonight is a pretty big night for Z-mac.. Maybe the Tribe can score early and often, thereby letting him pitch free and loose... we'll see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:A few notes from last night's game...

Yu can't believe how good that game was... On edge.. every at bat.. how many k's were there?. Every ball hit.. seemed like it mattered.. It was a non-playoff game played at the intensity level of a playoff game.. The best kind of game there is..

Seemed like a tourist crowd.. they didn't really get into the game until after the 7th inning.. even then it was more guarded/fearful of impending doom as opposed to cheering on the team for an incredibly well played intense nail biting game.

Masty's standing O on his departure = $$$.

We were just sitting down when The Bourn Supremacy made his mark.. who coulda thought that two and a half hours later.. that would still be the only tally of the evening.. Just a great game... was thrilled to see it..

Yeah.. "he is seems to be" sound about right...lol..

Was there too behind home plate. One can't appreciate the filthy stuff that Masterson & Darvish have without seeing it up close and personal. Wow! is all I can say. They were impressive and I feel priveledged to have seen it.

oh.. and Jimmy Johns JJ Garg before the game was pretty good too..
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Chip Davis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 pm

I have no idea what happened to my reply. I was there too, behind home plate. One cannot fully appreciate the abilities of Masterson and Darvish without seeing them up close and personal. WOW is all I can say, and I feel priveledged to have seen them both pitch.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 pm

A missed routine bouncer and a blown call at 2b - and now we are on edge. That call at 2b was simply inexcusable.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Michael for Mayor!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Michael for Mayor!

Jason for Governor?! :cool
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 am

Hermie13 wrote:

Yup, yup, yup!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:18 am

Bearcatbob wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Yup, yup, yup!

Ragin Raburn for Lt Governor !
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 am

Imagine that...another come from behind win.. it's getting to be like the 90's at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario..

-Kazmir started the game throwing almost all fastballs.. and got dinged.. even though the third run should have been an out on a bad call, the pitches Kazmir offered in the first inning and at the start of the second inning.. were lifeless.. 90-91 mph Fastballs with minimal movement.. they get hit, hard.. It wasn't until the middle/end of the second inning that Kazmir's velo increased and he broke out his slider.. He, at least, kept the CWSox hitters a little bit off balance, but not much.. This was perhaps Kazmir's best and worst outing in his last ten.. He clearly didn't have his A game..but battled through five innings..

-Okay.. what's with the bottom of the order? 6/11 with three runs and five rib eyed steaks.. amazing contribution..

-Nice hunch by Tito.. taking out "Big G", inserting Ragin Raburn..

-Rich Hill faced one batter, threw six strikes and two balls.. gave up one walk..Bob Davidson's idea of the strike zone and his consistency in calling a strike... BLOWS !!!!

-Bourn refuses to be doubled up.. beating the rap at first saved that inning..amazing game speed..

Onto the third game of this four game series.. Kluber Lang gonna mess up the CWSox.. and Jose Quintana will try to get off to a better start than the game he pitched in Chicago..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am

Definitely a great comeback effort last night. and Thank You Francona for finally starting to utilize that solid bench of yours better. Finally some pinch hitters the last few games and worked out beautifully. Stubbs pinch runner got us that game winning run too (or go ahead at time).

Also...I really want to see that lineup we saw last night more often. Still not in love with the order but want to see Gomes in the lineup more. Also want to see Giambi/Raburn in there more (can switch between the two). Not saying cut Reynolds out completely but need to right the hot bats. Even Aviles needs in more (can split time with Chiz).

Stubbs has lots of skills but as this team is currently constructed his best fit seems to be bench guy. Great late inning replacement and pinch runner.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Houston up 11-0 on Baltimore.
Indians streak looks like its stopping tonight, although these games dont matter if the dont take at least 2 of from detroit this weekend
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Santana walk off solo-HR wins it for the tribe 6-5. Kluber was very good outside of a run of 3-4 batters that tee'd off on him as he nearly went a complete game.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Houston up 11-0 on Baltimore.
Indians streak looks like its stopping tonight, although these games dont matter if the dont take at least 2 of from detroit this weekend

The streak continues.. and of course these games matter.. the weekend games versus Detroit are just more games in the same category..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:01 am

This is probably too early to answer, but interesting to think about. Barring a collapse, Pestano will be back before September 1st to be eligible for playoff rosters. With all the talk about how poorly the bullpen has performed, who doesn't make the postseason roster (assuming there is one, of course)? Perez, Smith, and Allen are locks and Shaw is close to a lock. Assuming Pestano and Scrabble are both pitching well, they both make it. Ideally you carry two lefties, so Hill is safe and Albers' ability to effectively pitch long relief is valuable as well. The bullpen as a whole has performed poorly but there isn't one individual that clearly needs to go. Obviously a lot can change, but my guess is Albers is left off because Ubaldo can be used for long relief. Thoughts?
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am

ChadS17 wrote:This is probably too early to answer, but interesting to think about. Barring a collapse, Pestano will be back before September 1st to be eligible for playoff rosters. With all the talk about how poorly the bullpen has performed, who doesn't make the postseason roster (assuming there is one, of course)? Perez, Smith, and Allen are locks and Shaw is close to a lock. Assuming Pestano and Scrabble are both pitching well, they both make it. Ideally you carry two lefties, so Hill is safe and Albers' ability to effectively pitch long relief is valuable as well. The bullpen as a whole has performed poorly but there isn't one individual that clearly needs to go. Obviously a lot can change, but my guess is Albers is left off because Ubaldo can be used for long relief. Thoughts?

Whoever isn't healthy, first and foremost.

Second, with a shortened rotation in the playoffs, Albers' ability to provide extra innings is less relevant. Although the thought of bringing out Ubaldo in relief doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. If, for whatever reason, they decide that Kazmir is the guy that doesn't get the ball in game 4 situations, then that eliminates the need for Rich Hill (or Scrabble, if he doesn't take to the AL quite so well).
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 am

Knocks on monitor... hello?..did anyone watch the game last night?????.....

-What a great crowd.. really into the game.. stayed for the finished. ROARING and CLAPPING and WILLING the Indians onto the outcome that was... Congrats to the crowd.. they were reminiscent of the 1995 season crowds.. the one with all the thrills/comebacks...

-Corey Kluber.. has learned.. throw strike one.. The CWSox hitters became overly aggressive and got themselves out.. over and over because the Kluber's attack..

-Dr Smooove.. a pair of doubles.. a pair of spectacular catches in the field..a pair of superb base running plays.. ho hum. just another night for Michael Brantley....

-Swisher is heating up,..If the Indians can get there guys all hot at the same time, this team can score..

-Carlos Santana.. Beautiful swing in the 10th.. the latest hero created at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario..

Onto today's matinee.. The pitching match up alone makes this game intriguing. Should be a good one..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors