Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Chisenhall HAS to bunt in the 9th. HAS TO. Move the runner over. And if Chisenhall can't bunt, you pinch hit for him with someone who can. It's that simple.

Then in the 10th, you pinch hit Aviles for either Santana or Giambi. If you lose the DH, so be it.

Two critical non-moves on Francona's part. He has way too much confidence in his players sometimes.

I completely agree, but IMO the game might not have went to the 10th IF Chiz is pulled against Smyly. Whoever comes in needs to bunt.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Random I know but does anyone know what ever happened to Chuck's Last Call? Hasn't been on in a while.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 am

ChadS17 wrote:Random I know but does anyone know what ever happened to Chuck's Last Call? Hasn't been on in a while.

Chuck got arrested for a DUI...show has been suspended for the time being. One can only hope it's suspended forever...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 am

Hermie13 wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:Random I know but does anyone know what ever happened to Chuck's Last Call? Hasn't been on in a while.

Chuck got arrested for a DUI...show has been suspended for the time being. One can only hope it's suspended forever...

It was officially canceled. It's a shame.. Youngstown guy who went through rehab. Had tons of nut jobs call in. Hope he gets the help he needs.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:05 am

Musings on the day after another Ubaldo nail biting masterpiece... While it may not seem possible, but, don't look now, Ubaldo is 7-4 with a respectable AL Average 4.37 ERA. In fact.. for the last 9 starts covering 50 innings pitched, he's surrendered 16 earned runs or a very impressive 2.88 era. He still walks too many hitters. and he doesn't go more than 6 innings for most of the time.. but, he's been effective and is continuing to improve.. It's just so damn difficult to trust him with the ball in his hand in a must win situation...

-The charges were OVI, not that it makes a hill of beans worth of difference..The CLC was entertaining.. the wackos and nutjobs that called were handled very well by Galeti.. There was even a touch of humor involved in most everything he said and did.. As far as cancelling.. I certainly hope the dopes and moron who think Al Pawlowski and Jason Stanford should be on the air don't deserve more face time.. both of those guys should join Chuck in the unemployment line..and they can take Andre NUT with them..

-Asdrubal can't buy a hit over the last four or five games.. but, last night, you could see.. "the missing it" was there. Four very good at bats by Droobs.. He'll break out of this slump very soon.. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see tonight's game as a turning point in his season..

-Drew Stubbs leads off with a double.. Bourn bunts him over.. Droobs hits a fly ball for the added insurance run.. Quick and easy.. where was that the night before?..

-Cody Allen is getting better... a lot better..

Comments?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

Danny Salazar is set for his big league debut Thursday, here's a look at him via Minorleagueball.com & Lets Go Tribe....

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/1 ... nd-indians

http://www.letsgotribe.com/2013/7/9/450 ... t-thursday
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:16 am

I like it. Big opportunity for him and a very tough lineup to debut against.

Really like Salazar, so I hope he succeeds. We need one of those rooks to be good from the get go (and Carrasco/Bauer have failed so far). Other teams find those guys too, so it's about time we land one. Last rookie/drafted SP who grabbed an opportunity by the horns and never looked back was Tomlin, and he wasn't really considered a prospect.

Go Danny !
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Probably belongs in a different thread, but while were on the topic of Salazar, he was put in a group of 10 guys who just missed Baseball Americas midseason top 50, putting him somewhere between 51-60. Thats quite the rise for someone who was not even top 150 before the season.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm

BrianM wrote:Probably belongs in a different thread, but while were on the topic of Salazar, he was put in a group of 10 guys who just missed Baseball Americas midseason top 50, putting him somewhere between 51-60. Thats quite the rise for someone who was not even top 150 before the season.

From the outset..it should be noted that Danny Salazar has the stuff to become a pretty darn good starting pitcher in the major leagues.. His biggest hurdle is the ability to throw his change up for quality strikes. His fastball is good enough to keep the wolves at bay, but, he'll only excel if his change up is that fabulous Bugs Bunny thing that Johan Santana was known for when he mattered..

That's the rub.. Salazar's good FB and the change up command..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

There are size / durability concerns with Salazar. He's a guy who could get pegged as a back end bullpen arm, but the Tribe has to exhaust every SP opportunity before such a move, IMHO. Ultimately that's where he might end as a CL or setup man, but Salazar can pitch.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Leaving Masterson in tonight to "get his lunch" was IMO plain stupid. Francona is getting down right weird in some of his decisions. Oh yeah - and now we get a rookie debut with the game on the line.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Leaving Masterson in tonight to "get his lunch" was IMO plain stupid. Francona is getting down right weird in some of his decisions. Oh yeah - and now we get a rookie debut with the game on the line.

Fortunately the rook did his job.. (Congrats to Guilmet, btw)..

NO FREAKIN WAY can Tito leave Masterson in there.. that' was horrendous.. make that two screwed up lousy decisions in the the last three games..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:42 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:Leaving Masterson in tonight to "get his lunch" was IMO plain stupid. Francona is getting down right weird in some of his decisions. Oh yeah - and now we get a rookie debut with the game on the line.

Fortunately the rook did his job.. (Congrats to Guilmet, btw)..

NO FREAKIN WAY can Tito leave Masterson in there.. that' was horrendous.. make that two screwed up lousy decisions in the the last three games..

Yeah - the rook did his job - but by then the lead was gone.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Absolutely pitiful!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Absolutely pitiful!

You shake your head and wonder.. could this be two more to the W's column in the last three or will this be a character builder for the second half of the season. These relievers with their constant ball one counts and walking the bases loaded in a close and late situation.. can't be tolerated.. An RP entering into this situation throws ball one MANDATES that TITO gets up off his ass and goes out to the mound and give this kid a royal ASS RIPPING!!. The minor/loss of focus on the bobbled balls allowing three runs to score was horrendous.. that was the pathetic part...

Now comes one of the best parts about baseball. Tonight's game is done..nothing can change what happened & now onto tomorrow and the matinee..Young Mr Salazar and his electric fastball that he keeps too high in the zone and a change up, that if it isn't on, will make for a very short debut.. Here's hoping the kid comes with attitude and his best stuff.. the Tribe could use a pick me up after tonight's debacle...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Does anyone remember Pena going to the mound and sticking his finger in Mesa's chest to get his attention?

We are giving games away.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Our bullpen has cost us games.. yes. BUUUUT.. Francona has really been costing us games lately with his questionable decisions.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 am

A.Zajac wrote:Our bullpen has cost us games.. yes. BUUUUT.. Francona has really been costing us games lately with his questionable decisions.

Agree here. I think the person that needs the All-Star break more than anyone on this team is Francona. This is getting ridiculous. I can understand sticking with your Ace but he was over 115 pitches and clearly had lost it. Understand not wanting to bring a rookie in there, but why even get him warming up in the 1st place? Francona obviously was going to stick with Masterson unless things got dicey, warm up someone else then.

when he brought in Smith in the 9th I about lost it. 4th day in a row, had thrown nearly 50 pitches, had thrown 69 pitches in the previous 6 days. He even had Shaw in the pen ready to go. This was by far worse than leaving in Masterson IMO.

I almost feel like he's just toying with us and trying to see how bad he can be before he starts getting absolutely lit up by the media like he was by the Boston media. He can't be this bad....can he?

All that said, a lot of the blame here has to go to the offense (and defense). We had Esmil on the ropes in the 1st two innings and only got 1 run. 1st and 3rd and no outs and couldn't get Santana home. And not 1 but 2 errors by outfielders today, the last one costing us the 5th and deciding run....just a bad day all around. Good start by Masterson but other than that bad day (nice to see Bourn get a few hits too).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 am

I think what we are seeing is what people in Boston saw. The difference, IMHO is the Tribe lacks the similar talent that he had in Boston to cover his mgr mistakes. Lets face it, some of these mistakes are going to happen, but for a team like the Tribe they become magnified bc the margin for error is simply much smaller.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think what we are seeing is what people in Boston saw. The difference, IMHO is the Tribe lacks the similar talent that he had in Boston to cover his mgr mistakes. Lets face it, some of these mistakes are going to happen, but for a team like the Tribe they become magnified bc the margin for error is simply much smaller.

The decisions of the last week defy explanation. It will be interesting to see if the media starts to call him on it. I wonder what the players thought as they watched Masterson and Smith get their lunch handed to them when they clearly were gassed. Inexcusable and unexplainable.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Alright.. two innings in and MR SALAZAR is bringing the heat at 95-97.. he has four k's in two innings..his FB is devastating and his change up has the Jays muttering.. I know it's early.. but so far.. he rates.. a bit

wow
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:45 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Alright.. two innings in and MR SALAZAR is bringing the heat at 95-97.. he has four k's in two innings..his FB is devastating and his change up has the Jays muttering.. I know it's early.. but so far.. he rates.. a bit

wow

Should the coaching staff share responsibility for Chiz not wearing sun glasses? This is showing pure stupidity. No wonder the players love Francona - are they accountable for anything?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Alright.. two innings in and MR SALAZAR is bringing the heat at 95-97.. he has four k's in two innings..his FB is devastating and his change up has the Jays muttering.. I know it's early.. but so far.. he rates.. a bit

wow

Should the coaching staff share responsibility for Chiz not wearing sun glasses? This is showing pure stupidity. No wonder the players love Francona - are they accountable for anything?

I think most of the people on this board have played baseball before.. Most wore sunglasses on days the sun was high in the sky and so on.. there are some of us.. that..you just couldn't wear them.. they'd get splattered with sweat..dirty.. and cloud up with humid/perspiration.. As a catcher.. I just couldn't wear them.. at all.. Based on looking at the shine coming off Lonnie..I'll wager he has the same issues..

Manning should just shut his mouth up.. flip downs?. really?. this isn't the 1980's..

Okay.. back to Mr Salazar.. after the fallen pop up. and the walk.. he as out of the stretch.. he looked damn good. He was nasty on Rajai Davis.. I thought he had him picked off at least once.. If Gomes puts that throw anywhere near the first base side of the bag at 2B, Rajai was out there.. The better news out of all this.. Salazar retained his composure and shut the Jays donw the rest of the inning.. Nice..start so far.. and nice continuation....now into the fourth inning...

Okay.. Now he's touching 99 mph.. and has added a few curve balls to go with his heater and change.. This is a clinic in how you want to see a guy pitch.. he's pounding the strike zone and has six K's in four IP.. this is impressive as hell !!

Well.. it seems like Danny Salazar's day may be done.. a lunging/hope to make contact single.. a bunt to move the runner into scoring position and a knock by Joey Bats scored the only run given up.. This was an impressive outing. He acquitted himself well and should be proud as hell of this effort..

And yes..he deserves another start.. sometime soon..

Okay with two outs and the bases empty.. the real CP has official returned to form.. three run lead.. double.. single run scored. passed ball.. walk.. two one two out.. long fly ball.. just foul..long fly ball.. caught on the warning track.. Ball Game. !!... Salazar gets the W.. nice..
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:17 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:

wow

I think most of the people on this board have played baseball before.. Most wore sunglasses on days the sun was high in the sky and so on.. there are some of us.. that..you just couldn't wear them.. they'd get splattered with sweat..dirty.. and cloud up with humid/perspiration.. As a catcher.. I just couldn't wear them.. at all.. Based on looking at the shine coming off Lonnie..I'll wager he has the same issues..

Manning should just shut his mouth up.. flip downs?. really?. this isn't the 1980's..

Okay.. back to Mr Salazar.. after the fallen pop up. and the walk.. he as out of the stretch.. he looked damn good. He was nasty on Rajai Davis.. I thought he had him picked off at least once.. If Gomes puts that throw anywhere near the first base side of the bag at 2B, Rajai was out there.. The better news out of all this.. Salazar retained his composure and shut the Jays donw the rest of the inning.. Nice..start so far.. and nice continuation....now into the fourth inning...

Okay.. Now he's touching 99 mph.. and has added a few curve balls to go with his heater and change.. This is a clinic in how you want to see a guy pitch.. he's pounding the strike zone and has six K's in four IP.. this is impressive as hell !!

Well.. it seems like Danny Salazar's day may be done.. a lunging/hope to make contact single.. a bunt to move the runner into scoring position and a knock by Joey Bats scored the only run given up.. This was an impressive outing. He acquitted himself well and should be proud as hell of this effort..

And yes..he deserves another start.. sometime soon..

Wear the black eye paint.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Danny Salazar has a VERY bright future ahead of him.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:28 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Danny Salazar has a VERY bright future ahead of him.

Yes indeed. It doesn't matter if he is not durable enough to start. Your either looking at a SP who has FOR potential, or an ELITE closer. I have not seen a player with a two pitch mix that good in an Indians uniform in a longgg time. We need him to start and I want him to succeed in that position, but I would love seeing him close the door as the closer for the next six years if starting doesn't work out.

He has been the talk today of all the fantasy baseball podcasts I listen to, and they love him. As I mentioned somewhere earlier too, BA had him in their midseason prospect list of guys who just missed the top 50. We should all be excited. One outing is one outing, but his stuff is something I haven't seen in a long time.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Guthrie.. another one of those SP's the Indians drafted and developed to a point.. he was finished in Baltimore and has been a ML SP for quite some time.. anyway.. two innings.. two scoring chances that fizzled.. the second inning rally was pretty much a poor play by Santana...If Santana reads that fly ball by Lonnie (with Giambi trailing and tagging).. That makes the slow roller by Gomes a run scoring play. If Manning was calling the play.. he's talking about Chisenhall not getting the guys moved over..

Santana with a nice over the should catch to finish the top of the third.. three up.. three down..

What a game.. now who's gonna tell Lonnie he can't wear the all blues anytime he wants?.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:39 am

Well, he can only wear those blues when the rest of the team is wearing them, but that's a technicality.

There's a column on the home page which shows Lonnie is not chasing as many bad pitches as he was before being sent down, and it's made a huge difference. He looks more relaxed and patient at the plate and is working deeper into the count. He looks like a major league ballplayer now.

If the Tribe can keep beating the weak sisters of the division like they have so far this year they can keep things interesting the rest of the way. They need to figure out a way to win at least 3-4 of the remaining seven games with Detroit, though.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 am

I saw Kazmir hit 95 on the gun last night. It sure looks to me like he has found the lost magic.

The bull pen is still leaking oil - badly.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 am

Sitting in the sun on a very warm afternoon inside Progressive...brought the glove, but it seems like all the foul balls are going over there.. to the same place...

What is with Ubaldo.. today..he couldn't throw it into the ocean if he was in a row boat.. Either up.. down. inside or outside.. The plate had to be moving around on him.. or the home plate umpire was out there to work on his tan.. so many close pitches not being called..

You can see what I mentioned early last week.. Droobs has his batting eye back.. he's making solid contact and driving the ball the opposite way. The day off from the field was disappointing.. I was looking forward to watching him not cover ground with his limited range and make throwing errors as a mediocre defensive shortstop...smh..

CC Lee has some joe smith in him.. has some nasty in him as well.. Seemed like any time someone decided to get close to HIS plate CC would buzz the guy up and in with the cheese.. Gotta love a youngster that has no qualms about going inside..

Brian Shaw & Rich Hill have guys swinging for the downs on their pitches. The lesson learned from CC Lee could do either both of them well..

When Swisher his that ball to left field it looked like a sure BOMB.. it just died in the air.. very unusual flight or he got it off the end of the bat or something.. but when it left the bat..it looked like a no-doubter..

Now.. a solid four days of rest for the good guys.. well earned..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Sitting in the sun on a very warm afternoon inside Progressive...brought the glove, but it seems like all the foul balls are going over there.. to the same place...

What is with Ubaldo.. today..he couldn't throw it into the ocean if he was in a row boat.. Either up.. down. inside or outside.. The plate had to be moving around on him.. or the home plate umpire was out there to work on his tan.. so many close pitches not being called..

Should be noted the home plate ump is not a permanent MLB ump, been called up to replacemtn a member of that crew. He wasn't terrible with balls and strikes (seen way worse) but definitely seemed like the strike zone moved a bit and squeezed Ubaldo a few times.. Also missed that play at the plate. Cain was out at the dish. Good to see the Tribe overcome that though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Sitting in the sun on a very warm afternoon inside Progressive...brought the glove, but it seems like all the foul balls are going over there.. to the same place...

Should be noted the home plate ump is not a permanent MLB ump, been called up to replacemtn a member of that crew. He wasn't terrible with balls and strikes (seen way worse) but definitely seemed like the strike zone moved a bit and squeezed Ubaldo a few times.. Also missed that play at the plate. Cain was out at the dish. Good to see the Tribe overcome that though.

From where we were sitting.. I could only see vertically.. the number of pitches called a strike above the and below the knee were indistinguishable. Sometimes it was a strike..sometimes it wasn't..and this was with the same batter.. It was just very inconsistent...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Not that I expected anything else, but what a joke with Rivera winning the AllStar game MVP award. Pitches the 8th inning with a 3-run lead and no strikeouts. Sale or Kipnis should have been the only two choices. So embarrassing that this game decides home field....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:51 am

Hermie13 wrote:Not that I expected anything else, but what a joke with Rivera winning the AllStar game MVP award. Pitches the 8th inning with a 3-run lead and no strikeouts. Sale or Kipnis should have been the only two choices. So embarrassing that this game decides home field....

Completely agree. Not much more to be said.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 am

ChadS17 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Not that I expected anything else, but what a joke with Rivera winning the AllStar game MVP award. Pitches the 8th inning with a 3-run lead and no strikeouts. Sale or Kipnis should have been the only two choices. So embarrassing that this game decides home field....

A few notes on the ASG, which I watched about 10 minutes of, total:
-Thrilled to hear about (and see the highlights of) Jason Kipnis contributing to a winning effort...
-Even more thrilled to hear about Justin Masterson getting to rest and enjoy the ASG experience..
-And last & certainly least, I don't give a rat's ass who won the ASG MVP or if Leyland was right or wrong pitching Mariano in the 8th inning..
-that is all..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

A few notes on the ASG, which I watched about 10 minutes of, total:
-Thrilled to hear about (and see the highlights of) Jason Kipnis contributing to a winning effort...
-Even more thrilled to hear about Justin Masterson getting to rest and enjoy the ASG experience..
-And last & certainly least, I don't give a rat's ass who won the ASG MVP or if Leyland was right or wrong pitching Mariano in the 8th inning..
-that is all..

Personally I have always loved the all-star game. I also love the recent change that gives the winner home field advantage for the World Series. Players on teams with play-off aspirations want to win this game now , or more than they have in the past. Perhpas it isn't as charming as it was in the past, when one could almost call it a glorified exhibition game - but I think it's better this way and well now we see "real" baseball games for the all-star games instead of a showcase.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:29 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Personally I have always loved the all-star game. I also love the recent change that gives the winner home field advantage for the World Series. Players on teams with play-off aspirations want to win this game now , or more than they have in the past. Perhpas it isn't as charming as it was in the past, when one could almost call it a glorified exhibition game - but I think it's better this way and well now we see "real" baseball games for the all-star games instead of a showcase.

I may be in the minority, but think one of the dumbest things Selig has done (and there's been a lot of them) was changing the All-Star game to decide home field advantage. Do these players really want to win more now than before? Go back and watch All-Star games from the 70s...those guys wanted to win WAY more than guys now. Then again back then they were still separate leagues, that never played outside of spring training and the World Series, had separate league Presidents, etc...

Best players still don't always play in the game...fans vote, don't get it right all the time. Players get to pick...hell, they almost do worse than the fans. Some of the best players still get left off (Santana, Donaldson, etc). Too many mediocre relievers make it. Guys still don't go all out...sure home field is nice, but you have to still make the playoffs and get to the World Series. Being healthy and ready for the 2nd half and the 60+ games left is way more important than one game in July. I may be wrong, but I doubt Cano comes out of that game if it's a regular season game against Boston. But an exhibition game? No sense in leaving him in...

And honestly, I liked the "showcase" aspect more than what we see now. It's still not a real game with guys playing 100%...at least before there was some fun to it (like Randy Johnson throwing over Kruk's head, Ripken moving to SS, etc). And you do still see some of the showcase aspect...the 8th inning when Rivera came in....it's just not as fun as it was before.

IMO it would make way more sense to give homefield to the team with the best record. Teams that have clinched may play harder the last week if they are neck and neck with another team in the opposite league. Or make it a bit more interesting and make the 1st decider a head to head record thing if the 2 world series teams had played each other during the regular season.

Radio broadcaster of game made a good point too...if this game really "mattered"...then why wouldn't managers play their best 9 guys for the whole game? Or use their best pitcher for more than an inning or two?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Swisher is lost. Looks like the whole team is still on vacation!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Swisher is lost. Looks like the whole team is still on vacation!

Swisher ripped that foul ball off the right field stands side wall..looked like he was right on that pitch...

Kazmir deserved better tonight.. not much in the way of "outstanding" effort here..

Mauer with the go ahead single.. he's just a good hitter...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 pm

And the lefty was not ready to face the M & M boys. Francona is again on mental absence.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Absolutely pitiful. Swisher has not been worth a damn since becoming a father and Francona's pitching decisions are at times beyond comprehension.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 am

Maybe it's just me... but I would have walked Mauer and took my chances with Morneau. Mauer (and Morneau) but Mauer especially is a very good low ball hitter, hits for high average.. more likely to get a base hit.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:02 am

FWIW for everyone stuck on blaming Francona, because, well, that's what Indians fans do, after the game Joe Smith said he was instructed to pitch around Mauer, he's the numbnut who left a fat pitch out to hit.

@MLBastian: Smith said he was instructed to pitch around Mauer in 8th. When he got ahead, 1-2, he changed approach. Just left a hanger over middle.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:42 am

Why not walk him?

Edit: Paper said the pitch was a 1 and 2 count! Pitching around?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Last post of the night. I give up. Chisenhall is a project that is not suited for a playoff run. Chisenhall is NOT a major league 3b for a playoff run.

And then there is Swisher batting 4.

I wonder if Francona is going to get in the face of any of the lousy plays?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Last post of the night. I give up. Chisenhall is a project that is not suited for a playoff run. Chisenhall is NOT a major league 3b for a playoff run.

And then there is Swisher batting 4.

I wonder if Francona is going to get in the face of any of the lousy plays?

Chisenhall gets to watch today.. Perhaps the level of maturity needed last night (catch the ball, throw the runner out at first base) will become more "real" now that he's seen the results of his rush to prevent a run when a solid defensive play was needed, desperately at that point. HE SCREWED UP.. no bout a doubt it..

Bourn gets the day off.. Stubbs leads off.. Swisher is in the clean up spot (cuz he's one of Tito's guys).

If Joe Smith was told to pitch around Mauer.. how does he get a 1-2 count on him before he sticks the dagger into the Indians heart?. Don't pitch around that guy..that's the guy that's killing the Indians.. WALK HIM. PUT HIM ON BASE..

Additionally, RP's Throw strikes.. There have been waaaaaaaay too many 1-0 or 2-0 counts..

Let's see if the Indians can salvage a W and a single game out of the second half's opening series. Masterson needs to have his best slider working to hurt the Twins' lefties...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:00 pm

i really think the Indians are a 3B, #1 or #2 SP and DH away from being the favorites in the ALC.

between Myers, Jimenez and Reynolds the Indians gain 27.5 Mil, plus the 40 Mil from the TV sale, say some guys on the team get new deals/raises in their contracts takes 17-27 Mil off (Mastersons going to be a bit expensive IMO) theres still 40-50 Mil to spend away.

i say go after young for 5-7 Mil because at 36 he's still hitting almost .290 with a .350 OBP and playing pretty good defense im sure you wont see a major dropoff or go after Peralta if you think he can play 3B. go get Morales for 4-6 Mil so you're already at max 13 Mil spent then go get one of Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Bring back kazmir if he's willing to be a LHP BP guy (probably not)

i like the idea of

Masterson,Johnson,McAllister, Salazar, Kluber in the rotation
Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

in the lineup and field and you have a playoff team and maybe 90 win team
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:39 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:i really think the Indians are a 3B, #1 or #2 SP and DH away from being the favorites in the ALC.

between Myers, Jimenez and Reynolds the Indians gain 27.5 Mil, plus the 40 Mil from the TV sale, say some guys on the team get new deals/raises in their contracts takes 17-27 Mil off (Mastersons going to be a bit expensive IMO) theres still 40-50 Mil to spend away.

i say go after young for 5-7 Mil because at 36 he's still hitting almost .290 with a .350 OBP and playing pretty good defense im sure you wont see a major dropoff or go after Peralta if you think he can play 3B. go get Morales for 4-6 Mil so you're already at max 13 Mil spent then go get one of Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Bring back kazmir if he's willing to be a LHP BP guy (probably not)

i like the idea of

Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

ha, that's all?

I wouldn't hate Young but he is TERRIBLE defensively at 3B. He has not played "pretty good defense". Hasn't played "pretty bad" defense either...he's flat out terrible. Right up there with Reynolds. Young would be a nice DH grab if the deal is right though.

Also, love the optimism, but there won't be $40M+ to spend next year on top of what they already have. They are already looking at a payroll around $80-85M without adding a single player. Sure maybe they move Perez and save money, but adding $40M would be putting them around $115-120M....never, ever gonna happen. $85-90M is tops you'll likely see.

Personally don't touch Johnson. May cost you a draft pick, plus not that special. He's Bedard 2.0. Stay away. Lincecum...in the AL with the troubles he's had, maybe on a 1-year incentive laden deal but he's not the same guy he was a few years ago (no hitter or not). Garza would be nice, especially if he's dealt this summer (then he won't cost a pick). May be out of our price range though after the spending spree last year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:i really think the Indians are a 3B, #1 or #2 SP and DH away from being the favorites in the ALC.

i like the idea of

Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

ha, that's all?

I wouldn't hate Young but he is TERRIBLE defensively at 3B. He has not played "pretty good defense". Hasn't played "pretty bad" defense either...he's flat out terrible. Right up there with Reynolds. Young would be a nice DH grab if the deal is right though.

Also, love the optimism, but there won't be $40M+ to spend next year on top of what they already have. They are already looking at a payroll around $84M without adding a single player. Sure maybe they move Perez and save money, but adding $40M would be putting them around $115-120M....never, ever gonna happen. $85-90M is tops you'll likely see.

Personally don't touch Johnson. May cost you a draft pick, plus not that special. He's Bedard 2.0. Stay away. Lincecum...in the AL with the troubles he's had, maybe on a 1-year incentive laden deal but he's not the same guy he was a few years ago (no hitter or not). Garza would be nice, especially if he's dealt this summer (then he won't cost a pick). May be out of our price range though after the spending spree last year.

Yeah "thats all" considering what they did last year, they could even do better. Young has stats wise been in the top half of baseball defense wise this year, sounds pretty good to me. lightyears better then what we have. not sure what baseball you are watching.

i just showed where theres room to add all the money, again not sure you have a single clue of what you're talking about. but hey keep talking out you're ass, you seem to think you're good at it.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 am

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

i like the idea of

Bourn
Cab
Kip
Morales
Swisher
Brantley
Santana
Young
Stubbs/Raburn

ha, that's all?

Also, love the optimism, but there won't be $40M+ to spend next year on top of what they already have. They are already looking at a payroll around $84M without adding a single player. Sure maybe they move Perez and save money, but adding $40M would be putting them around $115-120M....never, ever gonna happen. $85-90M is tops you'll likely see.

Yeah "thats all" considering what they did last year, they could even do better. Young has stats wise been in the top half of baseball defense wise this year, sounds pretty good to me. lightyears better then what we have. not sure what baseball you are watching.

i just showed where theres room to add all the money, again not sure you have a single clue of what you're talking about. but hey keep talking out you're ass, you seem to think you're good at it.

lol

Young has the stats of a top defensive 3B this year huh?

His Total Zones fielding above average is -6...which is well below average
His Defensive runs saves is -12...way below average.
His UZR is -8.9...UZR/150 is -16.6...way below average.
His FRAA is -7.6...way below average.

So..um...yeah, not sure exactly what "stats" you are looking at... :rolleyes

Not to mention every scout/baseball exec out there agrees Young is terrible defensively at 3B....

ha, and no you didn't show how to add money. I could show you how it will be very, very difficult to add money next year if you really want as I actually keep track of future payrolls and try and see where the Tribe will be not just this year but at least a year into the future.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors