Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2013 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2013 MLB Draft

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Apparently he has played some 3rd in HS. Could be an option.

Really like the pick.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Apparently he has played some 3rd in HS. Could be an option.

Really like the pick.

Manny was a 3B in HS........Frazier is an OF.......plays OF on same travel team as Meadows.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 pm

This is great. Moran goes next pick. Helll effin yeah!!!!
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Reading through various scouting reports again, is Shin-Soo Choo a fair comp for Frazier?

Also, I now fully expect the Indians to draft a "safe" College pitcher at 79....Overton, K.Emanuel, Windle, Skulina, T.Williams or even Buck Farmer if they need to save serious money....speaking of: what will Frazier demand? All of the 3,8mil? More?
Last edited by Tondo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 pm

I was standing in my living room mouthing the words alond with Selig. Can't believe it worked. Don't expect good things when you're a Tribe fan.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

I think you can kinda comp him with Grady. Better arm though.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BuddyLee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Rocky55 wrote:I think you can kinda comp him with Grady. Better arm though.

Probably a stupid question, but do you think it's tough to comp a righty with a lefty hitter?
The draft guys were saying comp was Trout, which might be a little extreme though.
BuddyLee
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Rocky55 wrote:I was standing in my living room mouthing the words alond with Selig. Can't believe it worked. Don't expect good things when you're a Tribe fan.

Did the same thing. Outside of the Lindor pick, this is the happiest I've been with a Tribe pick in recent memory.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Is Carlos Beltran a good comp minus the switch hitting? Does Fraizer have the speed Beltran once had?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 pm

BuddyLee wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:I think you can kinda comp him with Grady. Better arm though.

Probably a stupid question, but do you think it's tough to comp a righty with a lefty hitter?
The draft guys were saying comp was Trout, which might be a little extreme though.

I'm talking speed/power/fielding/baserunning/balls to the wall attitude type player as a CF who could leadoff(hopefully not, but could) or bat 3rd or 4th. Bonus of a top 5 in the draft arm. The top rated HSer by PG. Best draft pick since CC, IMO. Hermie's right though, Lindor is close.
Last edited by Rocky55 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Bleacher Report comp. Frazier to Justin Upton.

99.9% chance Frazier will sign. I would guess $3.25M - $3.5M gets Frazier signed. I'd suspect the Tribe works for a little breathing room to snag a few upside picks later. I'd suspect a cpl college arms rds 3 & 4.
I heard an interview with Frazier several days ago. He said something to the effect he couldn't wait to get his professional career started. He will be costly, but I'd think he will give the Tribe some breathing room. FWIW, Kyle Zimmer the 5th overall pk last yr signed for $3M. The slot for the pick is about $3.75M.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Is there any pick that John Hart doesn't like?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Kind of surprised Braden Shipley fell all the way to 15 to the AZ DBacks. There are concerns he's a two-pitch pitcher. He has a plus FB and plus CH, but his CB is a real work in progress. AZ seems like a suitable landing spot to develop him. I think he's fine but will take a little patience.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BuddyLee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 pm

From what I just heard on the radio. the Indians have told Frazier he will be an outfielder. So apparently the third base thing was a mistake.
BuddyLee
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I think it's great the Indians got frazier. Exact opposite feeling I got from last year when the Indians went with naquin. Frazier is probably the top high school prospect in this draft, which I think means a good deal since teams seem to prefer the college prospect.

Interestingly, ryne stanek is really falling. There's gotta be something to that; money, character issues? I know he's been disappointing this year and he needs to work on some things, but he's got a lot to work with with still some projection left . IMO. On talent and prospect status, he shouldn't still be on the board.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Interestingly, ryne stanek is really falling. There's gotta be something to that; money, character issues? I know he's been disappointing this year and he needs to work on some things, but he's got a lot to work with with still some projection left . IMO. On talent and prospect status, he shouldn't still be on the board.

Think teams got creeped out by his "pedophile" mustache.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Agreed, Stanek is a guy I really liked coming into the yr. I thought he was a lock to go 1-5. I didn't expect a free fall of sorts...he's probably near topped out physically too so that's probably part of it.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I think it's great the Indians got frazier. Exact opposite feeling I got from last year when the Indians went with naquin. Frazier is probably the top high school prospect in this draft, which I think means a good deal since teams seem to prefer the college prospect.

For a pitcher, it would be a dream to get drafted by the Diamondbacks, Braves, or Giants.....those teams know how to develop pitchers.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Agreed, Stanek is a guy I really liked coming into the yr. I thought he was a lock to go 1-5. I didn't expect a free fall of sorts...he's probably near topped out physically too so that's probably part of it.

Stanek's mechanics look all screwed up to me. It says something when you can put up the results he has in spite of it. He's got talent but needs a lot of work IMO. The mechanics seem to have regressed from last year. Not just one tweak, he's really inconsistent with his delivery/stride length/arm extension, which may all be related. If he gets straightened out though, look out.

Just heard Cards took Kaminsky. Really like Kaminsky.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BuddyLee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I think it's great the Indians got frazier. Exact opposite feeling I got from last year when the Indians went with naquin. Frazier is probably the top high school prospect in this draft, which I think means a good deal since teams seem to prefer the college prospect.

So you gotta wonder whether Naquin was truly an anomaly. I'm sure the scouts liked Naquin, but I think we might have gotten caught up trying to work the new $$ bonus pool system instead of just drafting the best talent. I think the front office probably learned something from last year, because we clearly didn't worry about taking that approach again this year. I agree that Frazier was the right way to go.

On another note, anybody think Tyler Skulina would be a possibility in round 3? I paid some attention to him at KSU and he always appeared to be pretty solid.
BuddyLee
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Agreed, Stanek is a guy I really liked coming into the yr. I thought he was a lock to go 1-5. I didn't expect a free fall of sorts...he's probably near topped out physically too so that's probably part of it.

Stanek's mechanics look all screwed up to me. It says something when you can put up the results he has in spite of it. He's got talent but needs a lot of work IMO. The mechanics seem to have regressed from last year. Not just one tweak, he's really inconsistent with his delivery/stride length/arm extension, which may all be related. If he gets straightened out though, look out.

Just when the Cards where short on pitching.... 2 LHSP tonight already. PG had Kaminsky #2 HS talent, that says a lot, IMHO.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:04 pm

BuddyLee wrote:

So you gotta wonder whether Naquin was truly an anomaly. I'm sure the scouts liked Naquin, but I think we might have gotten caught up trying to work the new $$ bonus pool system instead of just drafting the best talent. I think the front office probably learned something from last year, because we clearly didn't worry about taking that approach again this year. I agree that Frazier was the right way to go.

On another note, anybody think Tyler Skulina would be a possibility in round 3? I paid some attention to him at KSU and he always appeared to be pretty solid.

If Skulina lasts that long I think he's a real possibility. He has late 1 talent. I think the 2nd Rd could be a bit wilder than rd 1, everything seems to have went fairly smoothly, only one big surprise (Dozier) outside of Stanek's fall from grace.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm

BuddyLee wrote:So you gotta wonder whether Naquin was truly an anomaly. I'm sure the scouts liked Naquin, but I think we might have gotten caught up trying to work the new $$ bonus pool system instead of just drafting the best talent. I think the front office probably learned something from last year, because we clearly didn't worry about taking that approach again this year. I agree that Frazier was the right way to go.

I think Naquin was the pick because there was something the FO didn't like about the other picks......I don't think they were intentionally going for the signing bonus. I think they just thought the other guys weren't worth the money when they saw everyone's warts......My problem with Naquin is the lack of power.....I think he can be a Mike Hargrove with wheels and a cannon.....just not the power you want in a first rounder......

Frazier on the other hand.....is everything I want in a #5 pick......
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Rocky55 wrote:

I think you're right on Stanek. When I saw him he looked good, but his K/BB totals were pretty bad this year which suggest something has been wrong. I think a good pitching coach could do wonders with him. Tampa could be a good organization for him. I think people expected too much of him this year. For comparison's sake, Jonathan Crawford of Florida is a horrible pick in the first round. I never in my right mind would take him over Ryne Stanek.

Regarding the question on Skulina, yes, I think he's in play in the 3rd round. I think he's very talented, but he had some mechanical issues this year and really struggled at times. I think he's raw for a college guy, but he's big and his arm works very well. If he can be straightened out, he's late first round caliber.

I think there's some good players available for the Indians tomorrow in the 3rd and 4th rounds, so tomorrow should be interesting.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:13 pm

daingean wrote:
BuddyLee wrote:So you gotta wonder whether Naquin was truly an anomaly. I'm sure the scouts liked Naquin, but I think we might have gotten caught up trying to work the new $$ bonus pool system instead of just drafting the best talent. I think the front office probably learned something from last year, because we clearly didn't worry about taking that approach again this year. I agree that Frazier was the right way to go.

I think Naquin was the pick because there was something the FO didn't like about the other picks......I don't think they were intentionally going for the signing bonus. I think they just thought the other guys weren't worth the money when they saw everyone's warts......My problem with Naquin is the lack of power.....I think he can be a Mike Hargrove with wheels and a cannon.....just not the power you want in a first rounder......

Frazier on the other hand.....is everything I want in a #5 pick......

You must have seen him play in person, right?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm obviously jumping the gun here but I already like this yrs draft class one pick into it. I see potential to be better than last yrs already.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Really hate seeing Knebel going to detroit. Saw him pitch twice & was blown away. Hope they trade him.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I viewed Moran in the same light as Naquin and I didn't want that 2 drafts in a row. Frazier looks to be a special talent and while his floor is lower, his ceiling is much higher. Indians are putting together the components for a good looking future outfield with Naquin, Santander, Smith, McClure, Rodriguez, Moncrief, Washington, Myles, and now Frazier. I am very pleased with the selection, but I hope they concentrate on pitching from here on. It would be awesome if they could sign the defected Cuban pitcher. I think his name is Hernandez.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby TheWord » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Really hate seeing Knebel going to detroit. Saw him pitch twice & was blown away. Hope they trade him.

Some character concerns with him, but all-in-all he's a pretty low ceiling reliever.

Power arm and could help them soon, but I'm glad they're taking low ceiling guys and trying to help their big league roster instead of taking higher ceiling guys who could help their system.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 am

Here's a link to a best available list from MLB.com.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... racker.jsp
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:48 am

Here's Baseball America's top remaining top 25...

Rank / Player / Position / School:
25. Jon Denney, c, Yukon (Okla.) HS
34. Connor Jones, rhp, Great Bridge HS, Chesapeake, Va.
35. Kyle Serrano, rhp, Farragut (Tenn.) HS
37. Bobby Wahl, rhp, Mississippi
42. Cord Sandberg, of, Manatee HS, Bradenton, Fla.
48. Rowdy Tellez, 1b, Elk Grove (Calif.) HS
49. Trey Masek RHP 4YR Texas Tech
50. Andrew Mitchell RHP 4YR Texas Christian
58. Ryan Boldt OF HS Red Wing (Minn.) HS
61. Kent Emanuel LHP 4YR North Carolina
63. Tyler O’Neill C HS Garibaldi SS, Maple Ridge, B.C.
65. Dom Nunez C HS Elk Grove (Calif.) HS
66. Garrett Williams LHP HS Calvary Baptist HS, Shreveport, La.
67. Cavan Biggio 2B HS St. Thomas HS, Houston
68. Jared King OF 4YR Kansas State
70. Chandler Eden RHP HS Yuba City (Calif.) HS
72. Chris Okey C HS Eustis, Fla., HS
73. Tyler Skulina RHP/1B 4YR Kent State
75. Jacoby Jones 2B 4YR Louisiana State
78. A.J. Vanegas RHP 4YR Stanford
79. Michael O’Neill OF 4YR Michigan
80. Jake Brentz LHP HS Parkway South HS, Manchester, Mo..
81. Trey Michalczewski 3B HS Jenks (Okla.) HS
84. Garrett Hampson SS HS Reno (Nev.) HS
85. A.J. Puk LHP HS Washington HS, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BuddyLee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 am

My guess is we probably go with a college pitcher next round. Someone like Wahl, Emanuel, or Skulina would seem to be right up our alley. Or maybe even Tarpley since we drafted him before. Should be interesting to see how aggressive we we will be next few rounds.

Also noticed there is a pretty deep crop of catcher available, but I still think we try to load up on pitching for a while.
BuddyLee
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 am

BuddyLee wrote:From what I just heard on the radio. the Indians have told Frazier he will be an outfielder. So apparently the third base thing was a mistake.

He was also listed as an outfielder on his nameplate that he put up as part of the MLB TV coverage, so yeah think it was just a mistake too. Though as mentioned he did play some 3B in high school (even some SS). CF/RF seems the likely spot though have seen the Tribe move guys in before (Crowe, Kipnis). Kid seems athletic enough to play almost anywhere on a diamond.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Tondo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:21 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's Baseball America's top remaining top 25...

Rank / Player / Position / School:
25. Jon Denney, c, Yukon (Okla.) HS
34. Connor Jones, rhp, Great Bridge HS, Chesapeake, Va.
35. Kyle Serrano, rhp, Farragut (Tenn.) HS
37. Bobby Wahl, rhp, Mississippi
42. Cord Sandberg, of, Manatee HS, Bradenton, Fla.
48. Rowdy Tellez, 1b, Elk Grove (Calif.) HS
49. Trey Masek RHP 4YR Texas Tech
50. Andrew Mitchell RHP 4YR Texas Christian
58. Ryan Boldt OF HS Red Wing (Minn.) HS
61. Kent Emanuel LHP 4YR North Carolina
63. Tyler O’Neill C HS Garibaldi SS, Maple Ridge, B.C.
65. Dom Nunez C HS Elk Grove (Calif.) HS
66. Garrett Williams LHP HS Calvary Baptist HS, Shreveport, La.
67. Cavan Biggio 2B HS St. Thomas HS, Houston
68. Jared King OF 4YR Kansas State
70. Chandler Eden RHP HS Yuba City (Calif.) HS
72. Chris Okey C HS Eustis, Fla., HS
73. Tyler Skulina RHP/1B 4YR Kent State
75. Jacoby Jones 2B 4YR Louisiana State
78. A.J. Vanegas RHP 4YR Stanford
79. Michael O’Neill OF 4YR Michigan
80. Jake Brentz LHP HS Parkway South HS, Manchester, Mo..
81. Trey Michalczewski 3B HS Jenks (Okla.) HS
84. Garrett Hampson SS HS Reno (Nev.) HS
85. A.J. Puk LHP HS Washington HS, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Obviously lots of signabilty questions pop up with the HS specs on this list and it's a part of the draft where you can't take a flyer and risking to lose a valuable pick and a lot of pool money. Combined with the Frazier pick at 5, all signs lead to the Indians going College guy with pick 79 and I'm perfectly ok with that, as there are some pretty good ones left.

I though Denney would sign, but considering how far he's dropped, who knows now. That's the good thing picking at the top of round 3 though. Teams have a lot of time to check out the remaining HS players and their (maybe "adjusted") demands. The most likely HS picks for the Tribe at 79 could be LHP/OF G.Williams, C Nunez or C Okey. That said, I'm not a fan of drafting HS Catchers high, especially not in a deep C-class with plenty of good College-C in the mid rounds (Turner, Garver). Boldt, Serrano, Jones, Sandberg and Biggio all seem like difficult signings at this point and Tellez does not strike me as a guy the Indians would look at this early. Don't know much about RHP Eden or C T.O'Neill

All that said, the top guy left for the Tribe should be clearly Bobby Wahl. They have drafted and obv liked him before, so he's a strong candidate.

Here's my wishlist:

1. RHP Wahl
2. LHP Emanuel
3. RHP Masek
4. RHP Mitchell
5. RHP Buck Farmer

I would be happy with Denney, Williams, Nunez or Okey too if we can sign them, as Frazier and this pick represent 4.48mil of the Indians' 6,19mil pool, so if they go "aggressive" overslot here (1mil +), they probably will pick 2 or 3 SR next, which I would be perfectly ok with if their names are B.Farmer, Garver, Mazzilli, Boyd. My "fear" is Boldt at 79, as he's the kind of athlete they like to gamble on in the 2nd to 4th round range (McClure, LeVon Washington). I say fear because he's a high risk pick that will demand a lot of money, so it would be buying real high. I see a much higher floor with the the other HS specs I mentioned. Then again, very unlikely after picking Frazier. Best bet is a College pitcher I guess

Very good start with Frazier, but there's some serious talent in rounds 3to5 and beyond that, so I hope Grant continues to make good selections
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby adaree » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:10 am

Have to believe if Wahl is still there they would take him. They drafted him three years ago and he's only gotten better since.
adaree
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 am

The first couple rounds today should be exciting. Unfortunately I'm going to be on the road and miss most of the draft action, but I really like Andrew Mitchell of TCU and Cavan Biggio. Bobby wahl is interesting, too. Didn't think these guys (w exception of Biggio) would be around in the 3rd. Mitchell has some real good swing and miss stuff but really struggles with command. Biggio is just a very nice projectable 2b that should hit well and develop power as he matures. I know biggio isnt as popular with others but i like him. If he goes to college i can see him doing well in 3 years. Should be interesting.

As far as tools go, jan Hernandez is really interesting. I think he's a little raw at the plate but his bat speed is quite impressive and he's got good run and throw tools. Would be a great 5th round pick if available
Last edited by OhioBaseball on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 am

First off.. it was a thrill to see the Indians select a player like Frazier..a big +1 on the selection. Now they just need to sign him...Guys to look for in the coming two days...with an obvious focus on young pitching w/ upside...

-Jordan Sheffield, RHP, Tullahoma High School Tennessee; big kid with easy mid 90's heat and hammer curve.. has two other secondaries and is just beginning to grow into his 6'3" frame...

-A.J. Puk is a LHP first and a slugging 1B next. He hails from some podunk town in Iowa and could be the mirror image of Trey Ball.. 6'6" ball players with a low 90's fastball and curve that could gain some ticks as he matures seem to be growing on the trees, lately...

-Chris Oakley is a RHP that pitched for St. Augustine HS in New Jersey..he's a monster.. He tips the scales at over 240 pounds and looks down on almost everyone as he's over 6'7" tall.. He has a mid 90's FB that has late life and two other secondaries that could develop into very good pitches. He's the proverbial diamond in the rough..

-cOF'er Ivan Watson.. RH, Ruston High School. Masher with ML potential. Swing Speed is phenomenal..speed and arm too

-SP/OF'er Cody Thomas.. hard to say what this kid would be best at.. supreme athlete with speed and power...It will take a BIG CHECK to get this kid to eschew his Oklahoma Sooner commitment.

-OF'er Max McPhearson.. speed merchant.. the kind that is a game changer.. the next kenny lofton? ..

-RHP Trevor Clifton 6'5"" 180 SP; who is all projection at this point. Has a legitimate 90+ mph FB with sink

-RHP Derek Beauprez 6'5" 220 SP; with a low to mid 90's FB that is new to pitching

-RHP Carlos Salazar 6'2" 200 RHSP; with a power arm, FB touches upper 90s with Change up and Curve

-RHP Casey Shane 6'4" 210 SP; Three pitch mix and lots of projection

-RHP Bret Morales 6'2" 190 SP; converted IF'er. 92 MPH FB with two developing secondaries. quite an athlete

-LHP Hunter Green 6'4" 170 SP; low 90's FB with lots of room to add velo, A plus kid all around

-LHP Stephen Gonsalves 6'5" 210 SP; Has a Paul Byrd kind of wind up, lots of moving parts but has great feel for pitching

-LHP Tyler Nurdin 6'3" 215 SP; Mid 90's FB and control, best when facing the best

-SS Jan Hernandez 6'3" 195 pound SS out of the Carlos Beltran Academy of do nothing but think baseball, eat baseball and play baseball....oh did I mention.. this kid is all about baseball?

-OF'er Trey McClure 6'2" a 190 pound Speed Merchant.. This kid has two speeds.. fast and faster.. I don't think he's related to D'Vone, but, I could be wrong...

Thoughts?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 am

GeronimoSon wrote:First off.. it was a thrill to see the Indians select a player like Frazier..a big +1 on the selection. Now they just need to sign him...Guys to look for in the coming two days...with an obvious focus on young pitching w/ upside...

-Jordan Sheffield, RHP, Tullahoma High School Tennessee; big kid with easy mid 90's heat and hammer curve.. has two other secondaries and is just beginning to grow into his 6'3" frame...

-A.J. Puk is a LHP first and a slugging 1B next. He hails from some podunk town in Iowa and could be the mirror image of Trey Ball.. 6'6" ball players with a low 90's fastball and curve that could gain some ticks as he matures seem to be growing on the trees, lately...

-Chris Oakley is a RHP that pitched for St. Augustine HS in New Jersey..he's a monster.. He tips the scales at over 240 pounds and looks down on almost everyone as he's over 6'7" tall.. He has a mid 90's FB that has late life and two other secondaries that could develop into very good pitches. He's the proverbial diamond in the rough..

-cOF'er Ivan Watson.. RH, Ruston High School. Masher with ML potential. Swing Speed is phenomenal..speed and arm too

-SP/OF'er Cody Thomas.. hard to say what this kid would be best at.. supreme athlete with speed and power...It will take a BIG CHECK to get this kid to eschew his Oklahoma Sooner commitment.

-OF'er Max McPhearson.. speed merchant.. the kind that is a game changer.. the next kenny lofton? ..

-RHP Trevor Clifton 6'5"" 180 SP; who is all projection at this point. Has a legitimate 90+ mph FB with sink

-RHP Derek Beauprez 6'5" 220 SP; with a low to mid 90's FB that is new to pitching

-RHP Carlos Salazar 6'2" 200 RHSP; with a power arm, FB touches upper 90s with Change up and Curve

-RHP Casey Shane 6'4" 210 SP; Three pitch mix and lots of projection

-RHP Bret Morales 6'2" 190 SP; converted IF'er. 92 MPH FB with two developing secondaries. quite an athlete

-LHP Hunter Green 6'4" 170 SP; low 90's FB with lots of room to add velo, A plus kid all around

-LHP Stephen Gonsalves 6'5" 210 SP; Has a Paul Byrd kind of wind up, lots of moving parts but has great feel for pitching

-LHP Tyler Nurdin 6'3" 215 SP; Mid 90's FB and control, best when facing the best

-SS Jan Hernandez 6'3" 195 pound SS out of the Carlos Beltran Academy of do nothing but think baseball, eat baseball and play baseball....oh did I mention.. this kid is all about baseball?

-OF'er Trey McClure 6'2" a 190 pound Speed Merchant.. This kid has two speeds.. fast and faster.. I don't think he's related to D'Vone, but, I could be wrong...

Thoughts?...

Lot of names on there to like. Take your pick from Sheffield, Puk, and Oakley. Hunter Green, Carlos Salazar perhaps. Tyler Nurdin gets points simply because of his name.

Would probably add Bobby Wahl to that list simply because the Indians drafted him back in 2010 but only because of that. Not sure what type of interest there is in him now.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am

Really deep draft. Lots of good talent still around.

I'd take OB's boy Biggio with no qualms. Likewise Okey, even though his HS was my HS team's arch rival. Heard/read that he'd make a great 2B if he didn't stick at catcher & the bat is nice. Really athletic.

Liked Jan Hernandez forever, would love to grab him. He'd fit great at 3B. Huge power potential & really smooth.

Liked Beauprez & Oakley since seeing the PG game at Petco last August. Beauprez looks like Paul Bunyan. Heard his slider is coming along nicely to go with the plus FB/Changeup combo. The change is sweet.

Oakley looks like a big,sloppy guy but is deceptively athletic & pretty polished. Nice mix of pitches & good command. Competes like Frazier.

Too bad that Martarano is probably going football, the bat is like Bryce Harper-lite.

If Denney is signable, that would be a coup. Top ten bat at 79?

Sheffield is a top 5 HS pitcher. If he's healthy & signable, amazing pickup at 79.

Read on MLB that Serrano's dad tweeted that his son would join him at U of Tennessee.

Don't want Ryan Boldt. He's a speed guy who isn't that fast & the bat didn't impress me. Plus he's been injured.

Cord Sandberg is still out there & hasn't been mentioned. He's a big old strong kid who I only saw for 1 AB. Saw him in the OF though. He looks the part, kinda reminded me of Hunter Renfroe. Read that he might go football.

There are a whole list of JC pitchers still around, most of whom Homer listed & two of whom I posted about, namely Reed & Schiraldi. I like both better than Tarpley.

Ideally we could land & sign Martarano. I'd consider him to be the most polished bat still available.

Round 3 starts up at 1:00 PM, right here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... ve_app.jsp

Edit: Scratch Reed, KC took him in Round 2. Damn them.
Last edited by Rocky55 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am

On day two, the focus will clearly be on upside arms.. which ones.. lots of em.. As far as taking college guys for the 'safe / signable" quotient, bad plan. If a guy can pitch, a guy can pitch. Let the finance guys figure it out later.. Get the guy(s) who can pitch...period.. If the Indians sign 5 of their top ten.. and they can ALL play.. that's better than signing 9 of the top 10 with only 2 or 3 being able to play...

As far as legacy names, Cavan Biggio is clearly a name that is recognizable..as well as a recognizable skill set. He's, in many ways, the mirror image of his dad..fast hands and good everything else.. He'd be a nice add but would not project to be the BPA in round 3. If he lasts to round 5 or 6, then that would be different.. Other legacy names include: Mike Yastrzemski, Torii Hunter JR..etc, but, the name that would tweak this author's funny bone would be none other than Manny being Manny.. that is, Manny Ramirez, Jr....if he works at hitting like his dad.. he'd be a helluvan addition...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm

There's a lot of talent left on the board, I'm surprised by Denney, Biggio, Wahl all being on the board still. I hinted at this yesterday, "we will be surprised by a few of the picks." I mentioned there will be qlty players left, I think some with 1st - 2nd rd talent will last into the 5th round. That's possibly 4 high level talents from this draft and potentially more.

Today, I expect the Tribe to take at least 2 college seniors probably rds 9-10. Brad Grant hinted at a balanced draft approach, but they should be able to draft some upside arms today too. There's several college arms I like still on the board that could probably be landed in some of the middle rounds. I'll guess out of the 8 picks 3 will likely be position players and the other 5 pitchers. The Tribe generally like to take a chance on at least 1 JUCO player in the top 10, I expect that trend to continue,
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:On day two, the focus will clearly be on upside arms.. which ones.. lots of em.. As far as taking college guys for the 'safe / signable" quotient, bad plan. If a guy can pitch, a guy can pitch. Let the finance guys figure it out later.. Get the guy(s) who can pitch...period.. If the Indians sign 5 of their top ten.. and they can ALL play.. that's better than signing 9 of the top 10 with only 2 or 3 being able to play...

Why is this a bad plan? You can still sign 5 "high upside" (whatever that means, it's all baseball nerds hype BS imho, pardon my french) HS specs AND add 5 cheap College SR, who are actually pretty good at what they do, they've proven it in College. Last I checked, having 10 lottery tickets > having 5 lottery tickets. What's the point of drafting the best HS specs knowing you can only sign 5 or 6 of them? That's stupid and a waste of resources. How about you draft 5 or 6 of them AND add some of the best College producers too.

I gave you all a link yesterday to a BA study where College players clearly outplayed HS guys (in terms of WAR) over a 20 year sample size.

Guess I just don't get the "only HS picks are good picks" mentality from most on here. Newsflash: the Indians were bad at drafting both recently. There are good and bad College players and good and bad HS "upside". It's about finding the good ones...just a reminder :wink
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:40 pm

I posted this a few weeks back but here's a breakdown of the Indians draft from 2010-2012.

Here's a breakdown of the Tribe's top 10 picks from 2010-12.

OVERALL: (30) Includes both Pitchers and Position Players. (Only 2011 8th Rd Pk: LHP S. Tarpley was unsigned).

College: 15
High School: 12
JUCO: 3

OUTFIELDERS: (7)

College: 4
High School: 2
JUCO: 1

INFIELDERS: (4)

College: 2
JUCO: 0

CATCHERS: (3)

College: 1

RIGHTHAND PITCHERS: (14)

College: 7
High School: 5
JUCO: 2

LEFTHAND PITCHERS: (2)

College: 1
High School: 1

PERCENT OF PICKS USED BY SCHOOL:

College: 50%
High School: 40%
JUCO: 10%

PERCENT OF PICKS USED BY POSITION:

RIGHTHAND PITCHERS: 47%
OUTFIELDERS: 23%
INFIELDERS: 13%
CATCHERS: 10%
LEFTHAND PITCHERS: 7%
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Here's a parallel look a the Indians 2012 & 2013 top ten draft picks

2012 Indians draft picks: 2013 Indians draft picks:
1-15..............................1-5.
2-79..............................3-79.
3-110............................4-111.
4-143............................5-141.
5-173............................6-171.
6-203............................7-201.
7-233............................8-231.
8-263............................9-261.
9-293............................10-291.
10-327...........................11-321.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby adaree » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Tondo wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
I gave you all a link yesterday to a BA study where College players clearly outplayed HS guys (in terms of WAR) over a 20 year sample size.

There's evidence to suggest that this simply isn't true in recent years. I didn't see what you linked to, but I assume you're referring to the Baseball America article by Matt Eddy? According to Eddy's study, college players had a much higher GRADUATION rate (48.5% compared to 30.2% in HS), but the college players didn't hold a large advantage in terms of impact:

"Despite the large disparity in graduation rates for college position players and high school ones, the gap in impact rates is much narrower. About 14 in 100 college players in our study have accumulated at least 10 WAR for their careers, while nearly 11 in 100 high schoolers reached that level. In fact, the star-of-stars high school position players (Top 5) produced more wins above replacement (1,091) than their college counterparts (1,016), which is remarkable when you consider their lower graduation rate, lower impact rate and the fact that prep stars spot roughly three years of experience to college players at the time of their draft selection, a phenomenon that ought to make collegians in the later years of our sample considerably more productive.

High school position players keep track with collegians if you expand the impact threshold to 20 career WAR (34 high school, 31 college), 30 career WAR (17, 17) or 40 career WAR (11, 11).

In broad strokes, high school players drafted as shortstops, catchers or outfielders (particularly center fielders)—those positions that require the most athleticism, speed and/or skill—tend to outproduce their college counterparts. This is apparent from the comparative Top 5 WAR sums above—776-449 in favor of high school players—and also in the head count of 40-WAR players. For the high school set, those players would be Carlos Beltran, Johnny Damon, Torii Hunter, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Jason Kendall, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez and Jimmy Rollins—with Carl Crawford and Joe Mauer in hot pursuit. For collegians, J.D. Drew, Nomar Garciaparra, Chuck Knoblauch and Tim Salmon are the lone representatives in the 40-WAR club, though Curtis Granderson, Dustin Pedroia and Troy Tulowitzki could get there if their careers track normally."
adaree
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Tondo wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:On day two, the focus will clearly be on upside arms.. which ones.. lots of em.. As far as taking college guys for the 'safe / signable" quotient, bad plan. If a guy can pitch, a guy can pitch. Let the finance guys figure it out later.. Get the guy(s) who can pitch...period.. If the Indians sign 5 of their top ten.. and they can ALL play.. that's better than signing 9 of the top 10 with only 2 or 3 being able to play...

Why is this a bad plan? You can still sign 5 "high upside" (whatever that means, it's all baseball nerds hype BS imho, pardon my french) HS specs AND add 5 cheap College SR, who are actually pretty good at what they do, they've proven it in College. Last I checked, having 10 lottery tickets > having 5 lottery tickets. What's the point of drafting the best HS specs knowing you can only sign 5 or 6 of them? That's stupid and a waste of resources. How about you draft 5 or 6 of them AND add some of the best College producers too.

Guess I just don't get the "only HS picks are good picks" mentality from most on here. Newsflash: the Indians were bad at drafting both recently. There are good and bad College players and good and bad HS "upside". It's about finding the good ones...just a reminder :wink

I don't have a problem with college guys.......just I think that the first round should be for ceiling and that usually means HS guys. Plus the Indians have been more productive with HS guys since Jacobs took ownership (prior to that the team was ran badly on every level). 3 year College guys that panned out were A. Belle and Nagy but at the HS level they got Manny, CC, Jaret Wright, Brian Giles (Thome was a CC guy which is a different category).....sure the team needs to hit more frequently with these guys. Just my opinion but when the Indians go college it looks more like Sowers/Crowe than Nagy/Belle......and to be clear (I did use Belle and Thome), my preference for HS guys is 1st round (there are always exceptions) but your study is all teams but I am looking at the Indians specifically (sure this is a small sample size but it also incorporates the Indians drafting/developing philosophy, yes they need to get better at developing guys but prove to me you can do it with guys after the first round).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Twinks took my mancrush. You bastards!
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Indians picked RHP Dace Kime....thats one hell of a name thats for sure.

Big kid, 6-5 220
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Boston takes Denney & they'll sign him.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Dace Kime RHP Louisville (out of Defiance Ohio)......to the Tribe in the third

also, Kent Emanuel LHP goes to the Astros in round 3.......go Kent....make the Woodstock Wolverines proud and join Nick Markakis in the show!!!!
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk