RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 am

Rocky,

First, I wouldn't place Yoenis Cespedes expectations on Dariel Alvarez but kid is a 24 yo OF that can man any of the OF positions. It should be noted Alvarez is said to need some development. I'd actually like to see the Tribe land Adelmys Diaz too, bc of the org strength the team would have and the upper level talent that would become available in adding the depth to the org.

Second, I completely agree with those numbers (3 yrs / $39 M) for Edwin Jackson. I definately think they will offer him 4 yrs / $44 M but it looks like a cpl other clubs might easily bid in that range. The best option for the Tribe to land Edwin Jackson could be to offer him 3 yrs with a vesting option - something that would protect the Tribe like 500 IP but make him want to sign like a club buyout of $3 M. Btw, if I recall correctly Jackson posted a sub 4 ERA until the last few weeks where he struggled in a cpl starts.

Third, I'd be willing to move ACab for starting pitching and won't be surprised to hear about them talking deal with a few clubs like the Red Sox, A's and Cards. I like Lance Lynn and he's said to be 'mildly in the dog house' bc of the Cards concerns for his poor conditioning. If the Tribe could land Lance Lynn - RHSP and Matt Adams - 1b / DH I'd be satisfied with that return.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 am

Rocky55 wrote:Taking a break at work here, trying to remember everything from last night. Last thing, if Dempster signed for 2 yrs/$26.5 million would Jackson sign for 3 yrs/$39 million? Is he worth it or would we be better off trying to trade for a SP or 2? I'm kinda hoping we keep Asdrubal now unless we get bowled over.

While it makes sense to acquire another pitcher (or two) by whatever means, the trade option is still the best option...
AND GET BACK TO WORK !!...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Rocky,

First, I wouldn't place Yoenis Cespedes expectations on Dariel Alvarez but kid is a 24 yo OF that can man any of the OF positions. It should be noted Alvarez is said to need some development. I'd actually like to see the Tribe land Adelmys Diaz too, bc of the org strength the team would have and the upper level talent that would become available in adding the depth to the org.

Second, I completely agree with those numbers (3 yrs / $39 M) for Edwin Jackson. I definately think they will offer him 4 yrs / $44 M but it looks like a cpl other clubs might easily bid in that range. The best option for the Tribe to land Edwin Jackson could be to offer him 3 yrs with a vesting option - something that would protect the Tribe like 500 IP but make him want to sign like a club buyout of $3 M. Btw, if I recall correctly Jackson posted a sub 4 ERA until the last few weeks where he struggled in a cpl starts.

Third, I'd be willing to move ACab for starting pitching and won't be surprised to hear about them talking deal with a few clubs like the Red Sox, A's and Cards. I like Lance Lynn and he's said to be 'mildly in the dog house' bc of the Cards concerns for his poor conditioning. If the Tribe could land Lance Lynn - RHSP and Matt Adams - 1b / DH I'd be satisfied with that return.
Decisions and Determinations... to deal or not to deal ACab... The cardinals represent one of the three best fits for the Indians:

Lance Lynn or Trevor Rosenthal or Joe Kelly?..

Matt Adams.. okay.. but what about Matt Carpenter? or, if the Cardinals are really into getting Droobs, Oscar Taveras?

Does adding Lou Marson bring a better quality of return from the Cardinals?

The other fits.. the A's and the Mariners. I dont think the Red Sox would trade Matt Barnes, so, they'd pretty much be a non-starter organization..

From the A's... either one of AJ Griffin or Dan Strailly along with Grant Green or one of the Michaels (Choice or Taylor)?

From the M's.. Would you trade Asdrubal and Lou Marson for Brandon Maurer, Jack Marder & Justin Smoak?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:01 am

I'm kind of at the point where I think the Tribe should make a 'standing offer' for Swisher 4 yrs / $62 M with $2 M in incentives. I think it's time to move on from Swisher though, and offer aggressively on Cody Ross 2 yrs / $18 M with a club option for a third yr to get him up to 3 yrs / $25 M with a $1 M buyout. In essence it would guarantee him 2 yrs / $19 M. Btw, Ross is reportedly "ONLY" asking for 3 yrs / $25 M

IF somehow the Tribe lands both guys in that scenario they could trade ACab for a cpl young pitchers OR Michael Brantley looking for a Denard Span / Ben Revere return - just saying its highly unlikely but why not give themselves some options by landing more than what they need. Kind of the same thoughts behind my suggestion IF they miss Swisher they should go after both Ross and Hairston aggressively.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 am

It looks like the Cubs got tired of Anibal Sanchez using them to drive up the price of the Tigers and have now pulled their 5 yr / $77.5 M offer off of the table. (Mlbtraderumors).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:35 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm kind of at the point where I think the Tribe should make a 'standing offer' for Swisher 4 yrs / $62 M with $2 M in incentives. I think it's time to move on from Swisher though, and offer aggressively on Cody Ross 2 yrs / $18 M with a club option for a third yr to get him up to 3 yrs / $25 M with a $1 M buyout. In essence it would guarantee him 2 yrs / $19 M. Btw, Ross is reportedly "ONLY" asking for 3 yrs / $25 M

IF somehow the Tribe lands both guys in that scenario they could trade ACab for a cpl young pitchers OR Michael Brantley looking for a Denard Span / Ben Revere return - just saying its highly unlikely but why not give themselves some options by landing more than what they need. Kind of the same thoughts behind my suggestion IF they miss Swisher they should go after both Ross and Hairston aggressively.

While your approach would pretty much cover the Indians with all of the above, you can honestly come to the conclusion that if Nick Swisher was going to return to his roots in Ohio/West-by-god-Virginia, etc... he would have. He's a player that loves the spotlight. He's not going to get it in Cleveland. W/R to Ross/Hairston, I'm just not a fan & it has nothing to do with the prices being mentioned. The trade route is the only route. FA's like Swisher & Bourn don't go to Cleveland... period. The ones that do give RustyMike's reasoning a microscopic amount of credibility...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:It looks like the Cubs got tired of Anibal Sanchez using them to drive up the price of the Tigers and have now pulled their 5 yr / $77.5 M offer off of the table. (Mlbtraderumors).

Just like the Indians should do with Swisher...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 am

I think the Tribe could go with Stubbs in RF short term and continue to look to fill RF at a later date. Landing a guy like Soriano would be an extreme fallback option IMO but he could man LF and DH a little.

I'm not a huge fan of Ross although I like the RH power, I actually like Scott Hairston better and he would likely come cheaper. The Tribe could offer Hairston a deal similar to Jonny Gomes 2 yrs / $10 M... OR... a deal similar to what Jeff Keppinger signed 3 yrs / $12 M. I'd prefer the shorter 2 yrs / $10 M myself. Ross at this point is just the next guy down the list and offering him exactly what he's said to want would seemingly land him.

I agree that Swisher has just been playing the waiting game, waiting for Hamilton to get done to have a mkt. Philly has offered on Ichiro and reportedly offered on Hamilton, I think it's reasonable to assume they may do the same with Swisher.

As for talking trade with the Cards RE: ACab I think the Tribe and Cards sticking point was Matt Carpenter. I'd agree to move away from him but only with the inclusion of Lance Lynn, Matt Adams and Kevin Seigrist. That's a solid return for ACab IMO. Lynn would obviously slot into the 3 spot in the rotation. Adams would be the 1b of the future, and add some pop to the lineup. Seigrist would be LHRP option.

What could the Tribe land for a bullpen arm or two? I'm pretty certain they didn't add both Albers and Shaw to fortify the pen. I think it was done to give themselves some other options in trades. I'm guessing that any of Perez, Shaw, Smith and Albers maybe even Pestano could be had IF the price is right. Btw, I like Shaw and Albers but I could see the Tribe trying to land a SP / OF option with one of Pestano, Perez, Shaw, or Smith and Albers for a LHRP.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 am

Wow, Anibal Sanchez lands a 5 yr / $80 M contract from the Tigers. I really like Sanchez but talk about using the system for your personal advantage - he played the Cubs or so it seems...

That should set up Kyle Lohse and Edwin Jackson for some nice pay days.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 am

There was another one of those trade ideas brought up in the FFBaseball Speculation Trades site. While most of the trades are wild four and five team events with seven to fifteen players involved, they're mostly okay to look at from a concept perspective and not much more. There are a number of IDIOT-based trade idea.. Giancarlo Stanton for Nunez, Gardner and Banuelos, as an example.. There was one that.. sort of said.. hmm.. this does make sense..

Indians get Brett Lawrie, Rickey Romero, Avisail Garcia and Bruce Rondon
Jays get Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson, Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Lindor
Tigers get Mark Buehrle, Asdrubal Cabrera, David Huff and Chris Perez

The Tigers getting Porcello out of their rotation and replace him with a SOLID LHSP in Buehrle is the key to trade being what may be considered viable. If they Tigers don't like or want Buehrle, then this trade is cooked.. done, over.. But..

It points out the possible match between the Indians and Jays, especially the Jays overt Right Handedness, in a much much smaller deal or

Indians get Aaron Sanchez and Brett Lawrie?
Jays get Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Lindor

Thoughts?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Per Bob Nightengale the Tigers original offer to Anibal Sanchez was 4 yrs / $48 M. He signed for 5 yrs / $80 M huge spike in his perceived value.

I think 4 yrs / $48 M would be a solid offer on Edwin Jackson. Could see the Tribe offer 3 yrs / $39 M to Jackson and / or Kyle Lohse.

Although the mkt probably just jumped significantly. Sanchez is good, but has had elbow issues and 5 yrs at $16 M per for him is vast over pay IMO.

Another note of interest... Buster Olney suggests the Tigers and Pirates could hook up in a deal: Porcello for Hanrahan. I still think CPerez could be an option for the Tigers. In a pkg maybe 2 of: Asavail Garcia, Casey Crosby, Drew Smyly, Bruce Rondon and Brennan Boesch?
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Why do you guys keep hoping for Ross?

Am I the only one concerned by his OPS away from Fenway? :confused

Hairston > Ross imho
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Per Bob Nightengale the Tigers original offer to Anibal Sanchez was 4 yrs / $48 M. He signed for 5 yrs / $80 M huge spike in his perceived value.

I think 4 yrs / $48 M would be a solid offer on Edwin Jackson. Could see the Tribe offer 3 yrs / $39 M to Jackson and / or Kyle Lohse.

Although the mkt probably just jumped significantly. Sanchez is good, but has had elbow issues and 5 yrs at $16 M per for him is vast over pay IMO.

Another note of interest... Buster Olney suggests the Tigers and Pirates could hook up in a deal: Porcello for Hanrahan. I still think CPerez could be an option for the Tigers. In a pkg maybe 2 of: Asavail Garcia, Casey Crosby, Drew Smyly, Bruce Rondon and Brennan Boesch?

I just don't see the Indians and Detroit matching up on a deal. When there are so many other options at closer still available like Hanrahan I don't see them jumping at the chance to send their prospects here.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Go Tribe,

I agree the Tribe and Tigers probably won't matchup. Kind of suggesting it could be possible, Hanrahan is a cheaper option and Tigers and Pirates just worked a deal sending Andy Oliver to the Pirates so I suggest they could match up again.

IF the Pirates and Dodgers, Angels, whomever match up I think it could be an option. Right now I'd guess another arm or two gets dealt in order to fill either RF, SP or LHRP spots that are open. I think it's more likely that Chris Perez gets dealt at the trade deadline. Never know the Yankees, Phillies, RedSox, A's, Giants, Dodgers and Angels could come calling.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Tondo,

I like Ross bc of the RH power. Over a full season he averages... 20+ hrs .260 avg. That's not spectacular but solid numbers and the mkt is thin, 2 yrs with an option wouldn't be a long term commitment. That's what we're probably talking about with Ross.
Hairston has some RH power too (20 hrs last yr) especially after his career best yr. Hairston is a solid role player / platoon type. I like him but I'm not convinced he's an everyday guy. But he could post some decent serviceable numbers when put in the right position.
Personally, IF the Tribe misses on Swisher than Cody Ross is naturally the next option, but I think the Tribe could consider adding Hairston too. Btw, Hairston could play RF / LF / 2b / DH which would add some positional flexibility if the Tribe signed him.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:There was another one of those trade ideas brought up in the FFBaseball Speculation Trades site. While most of the trades are wild four and five team events with seven to fifteen players involved, they're mostly okay to look at from a concept perspective and not much more. There are a number of IDIOT-based trade idea.. Giancarlo Stanton for Nunez, Gardner and Banuelos, as an example.. There was one that.. sort of said.. hmm.. this does make sense..

Jays get Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson, Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Lindor

The Tigers getting Porcello out of their rotation and replace him with a SOLID LHSP in Buehrle is the key to trade being what may be considered viable. If they Tigers don't like or want Buehrle, then this trade is cooked.. done, over.. But..

It points out the possible match between the Indians and Jays, especially the Jays overt Right Handedness, in a much much smaller deal or

Indians get Aaron Sanchez and Brett Lawrie?
Jays get Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Lindor

Thoughts?

I don't see the Tribe doing either of those trades. Lawrie would be an upgrade over Chiz in 2013 but has his flaws. Romero has been worse than Masterson each of the past 2 years so that's a downgrade, though suppose you do get an extra year (maybe 2) since Romero has signed an extension. While getting Garcia and Rondon would be nice, we have plenty of power RH arms and losing Lindor is just a deal breaker (we're giving up the best prospect by far in this deal). Plus don't see the Tigers being all that interested in Buerhle (or the Blue Jays interested in moving him). Rotation seems set with Verlander, Fister, Sanchez, Scherzer, and Smyly. Reason Porcello could be moved is they are getting full in the rotation.

Even the 2nd deal is a no-go for me. Lindor > Sanchez and while the Tribe needs pitching, they could get a better spec IMO for Lindor. And I don't see a big enough gain in Lawrie over Chiz to make up for it personally. Lawrie is definitely the better overall player right, but I like Chiz power potential more.

Plus, I really think it's a moot point on that 2nd one...why would the Blue Jays, who just took on a lot of salary including Josh johnson who has 1 year left, downgrade for 2013 at 3B?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Matt Adams.. okay.. but what about Matt Carpenter? or, if the Cardinals are really into getting Droobs, Oscar Taveras?

FWIW, I was just listening to a BA podcast, and they have Taveras as the 2nd best position prospect in all of baseball, behind only Profar and ahead of Myers. I was hoping he would be available in a deal, but highly doubtful, especially for someone like ACab.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Tondo wrote:Why do you guys keep hoping for Ross?

Hairston > Ross imho

You aren't the only one that has that concern, though Ross did post a home OPS over .800 in 2010 when he was playing in Florida and SF (two very big ballparks). Some guys just always hit better at home vs the road. Ross's career OPS at home is 85 pts higher than on the road. That said, this year was a pretty big difference.

I'm personally more worried about his second half dropoff than the home-road split though.

Ross is the better player for me because of the higher OBP. though when you factor in money/contract length...I think a case can be made that Hairston could be the better fit for Cleveland.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 pm

BrianM wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

FWIW, I was just listening to a BA podcast, and they have Taveras as the 2nd best position prospect in all of baseball, behind only Profar and ahead of Myers. I was hoping he would be available in a deal, but highly doubtful, especially for someone like ACab.

Agree on Tavares for ACab being highly doubtful....then again, I'd have said Bauer for Choo was highly doubtful as well...

Though think it's safe to say the Cards are better run than the Dbax
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:35 pm

The Cardinals were on the door step of the World Series last yr and they have the capacity to do the same. I know some of these teams are building juggernauts that seem unbeatable but they still have to play the games. I could see the Tribe land Tavares from the Cards. But the deal would probably have to become much bigger than we'd like or maybe something like ACab, Marson and Shaw for something like Tavares and Joe Kelly.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Taking a break at work here, trying to remember everything from last night. Last thing, if Dempster signed for 2 yrs/$26.5 million would Jackson sign for 3 yrs/$39 million? Is he worth it or would we be better off trying to trade for a SP or 2? I'm kinda hoping we keep Asdrubal now unless we get bowled over.

Yesterday I think Jackson could have been had for 3yrs/$39M....today, probably 4yrs/50M if not closer to $55. Don't see Sanchez as that much better personally.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Tondo wrote:Why do you guys keep hoping for Ross?

Hairston > Ross imho

I don't see the advantage of Ross or Hairston, tbh.. Both are mediocre average ML'ers with not much upside. or..Tim Fredroff without the experience... <shrugs>
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The Cardinals were on the door step of the World Series last yr and they have the capacity to do the same. I know some of these teams are building juggernauts that seem unbeatable but they still have to play the games. I could see the Tribe land Tavares from the Cards. But the deal would probably have to become much bigger than we'd like or maybe something like ACab, Marson and Shaw for something like Tavares and Joe Kelly.

I would do that trade right now, Homer..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Curious but could the Tribe be interested trying to land Michael Bourn IF they miss out on Swisher? Brantley could man LF with Stubbs in RF.

I still tend to think the Tribe could try to get creative and add a RF maybe someone like Chris Young, Garrett Jones, or even Yoenis Cespedes.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm

G'Son,

I would too but I expect it could cost more. Maybe Wolters or Rodriguez too. I really think the Tribe focuses on landing an OF and a SP from this point in FA or by flipping ACab, Perez, Masterson, Marson, Smith, Albers, Shaw, Lindor, Wolters, Rodriguez whatever it takes to add another solid SP and an everyday RF.

I know it's unlikely they trade Masterson but you never know. Maybe the Cards or someone falls in love with Masterson and want to pull off a huge trade. Texas and Boston have called btw. Id propose a crazy deal...

Cards get...
Masterson
ACab
Marson
Indians get...
Lynn
Kelly
Tavares
Adams
Carpenter

I know now I'm talking fantasy draft but you never know the Tribe might just pull out another block buster deal.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:52 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:G'Son,

I would too but I expect it could cost more. Maybe Wolters or Rodriguez too. I really think the Tribe focuses on landing an OF and a SP from this point in FA or by flipping ACab, Perez, Masterson, Marson, Smith, Albers, Shaw, Lindor, Wolters, Rodriguez whatever it takes to add another solid SP and an everyday RF.

I know it's unlikely they trade Masterson but you never know. Maybe the Cards or someone falls in love with Masterson and want to pull off a huge trade. Texas and Boston have called btw. Id propose a crazy deal...

Cards get...
Masterson
ACab
Marson
Indians get...
Lynn
Kelly
Tavares
Adams
Carpenter

I know now I'm talking fantasy draft but you never know the Tribe might just pull out another block buster deal.

I would do that deal in a heartbeat, but honestly I don't think there is any way that happens.

If we are looking to acquire Tavares in a deal, I think we are looking at something like this...

Indians get - Lynn, Tavares, Carpenter
Cards get - ACab, Pestano, Marson
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:55 pm

BrianM wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:G'Son,

Cards get...
Masterson
ACab
Marson
Indians get...
Lynn
Kelly
Tavares
Adams
Carpenter

I would do that deal in a heartbeat, but honestly I don't think there is any way that happens.

If we are looking to acquire Tavares in a deal, I think we are looking at something like this...

Indians get - Lynn, Tavares, Carpenter
Cards get - ACab, Pestano, Marson

I think this deal is a bit more realistic but even then not sure St Louis would go for it.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:56 pm

From Kenny Rosenthal FWIW

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hot- ... ans-121412

• Dodgers. They began shopping right-hander Aaron Harang and lefty Chris Capuano at the winter meetings, anticipating that they would add at least other two starting pitchers.

Righty Zack Greinke and lefty Ryu Hyun-jin turned out to be those two starters, and now Harang and Capuano are even more in play. The Pirates, Mariners, Twins, Blue Jays and Indians are among the teams checking in, major-league sources tell FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.

• Indians. Their four-player return for right fielder Shin-Soo Choo and infielder Jason Donald will not deter the team from moving right-hander Justin Masterson, shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera or closer Chris Perez in the right deal, according to a source.

The Indians, rival teams say, insisted upon major leaguers or major-league ready pieces for Choo; right-hander Trevor Bauer, center fielder Drew Stubbs and relievers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers qualified.

Presumably, they would seek to make the same type of deals with their other veterans.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Brian and Homer.. I'd make both of those deals.. without reservation or delay.

Tribe028.. no way on Harang.. Capuano could be interesting, but only if more than just him was coming from the Dodgers. Specifically, Lee, Puig, Pederson, Gordon, Withrow and Magill. The actual deal could be darn near anything, at this point..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:46 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Brian and Homer.. I'd make both of those deals.. without reservation or delay.

Tribe028.. no way on Harang.. Capuano could be interesting, but only if more than just him was coming from the Dodgers. Specifically, Lee, Puig, Pederson, Gordon, Withrow and Magill. The actual deal could be darn near anything, at this point..

Agree I'll pass on Harang. Would rather just let Kluber and Gomez chew up innings out of the 5 hole if Harang is the best option the Indians can come up with. Cap wouldn't exactly set the world on fire but having a compitent lefty would be worth having in the rotation.

Don't see the Indians having anything worth the Dodgers time in regards to specs like Puig & Lee outside of Cabrera. LA was rumored to be interested in either a SS or 3rd baseman and have Hanley Ramirez play opposite. Really depends on just how much more crazy the Dodgers want to get out there.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Reports have the Mets really pushing hard to deal RA Dicky ASAP.

Looks as if Toronto is the front runner right now.

@JonHeymanCBS: Arencibia and gose were mentioned in dickey trade talk. Would be realistic package if that's it. #jays #mets

Texas was thought to be interested as well but Rosenthal is claiming they're not in the hunt any longer believed to at one point offer Buckel & Olt.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Rangers no longer involved in Dickey talks. And did not offer Olt and Buckel to #Mets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Reports have the Mets really pushing hard to deal RA Dicky ASAP.

Looks as if Toronto is the front runner right now.
@JonHeymanCBS: Arencibia and gose were mentioned in dickey trade talk. Would be realistic package if that's it. #jays #mets
Texas was thought to be interested as well but Rosenthal is claiming they're not in the hunt any longer believed to at one point offer Buckel & Olt.
@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Rangers no longer involved in Dickey talks. And did not offer Olt and Buckel to #Mets.

Toronto could absolutely solidify their SP rotation with the acquisition of RA Dickey. If the Indians could get him, even for one year, next year, 2013 and know he's leaving, then he would work perfectly. The extension is another matter altogether. The Mets are going to trade him for whatever they can get because for what ever reason the decided that having a cy young winning SP is not goig to help their squad.. Pretty damn foolish, imho. RA Dickey is perfect for that club and field.

btw...Surprising the Rangers would pull out of negotiations. They've stuck in there most of the way in other situations. Perhaps Daniels is tired of the games.. He gave his best offer and got a "we'll call you" kind of response.. FINE screw him, the Rangers are looking elsewhere.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Some times, late on a Friday, you run out of motivation to continue working that week, so you look for a distraction to stimulate the creativity of your mind...and NO, I HAVEN'T BEGUN TO LOSE MINE...

Ah.. a trade rumors site. And, someone has posted a three way trade, Tigers, Indians and jays.. hmm..could be interesting.. the author, without the benefit of punctuation writes: indians tigers jays trade indians get victor martinez brett lawrie max sherzer ricky romero tigers get asdrubal cabrera david huff mark burhle jays get rick porcello justin masterson lonniechisenhall matt laporta

Really?. Victor coming back! You initially like having him, not his price tag. and Brett Lawrie, OH MY, put who ever is better at 3B and move the other to 1B.. would be perfect.. Max Scherzer?. we're getting Max Sherzer too!! wow, this is really getting interesting !.. and now, RICKEY ROMERO TOO? You wonder, where this guy has season ticket at Progressive Field. He may be sitting near where I like to sit !!.

Wait, if it sound to good to be true, it probably is.. we're Indians fans, we already know, we aint getting this lucky.. something is wrong with this deal.. the only question what?..

Well Max Scherzer isn't going anywhere. The Tigers are keeping him, so, something has to change. The Jays also won't give up Lawrie unless something real good is coming back..and why is matt laporta in this deal?. just wait until he's released.

So, the next step is to respond to the trade suggested and so you start with a nice comment about old friend Victor Martinez.. The return to the Indians of Victor Martinez will gladden the hearts of many Indians' fans, but they'd prefer younger guys like Avisail Garcia and Bruce Rondon, even if it costs losing Chris Perez. The Jays would want someone other than LaPorta as a throw in from the Indians, perhaps a BP arm like Matt Albers (AA is notorious for getting a BP arm in just about any trade) and something a LOT more interesting, like a # 1 Prospect. For the Tigers, see above.

At the end of the day, your original trade concept would look like:

Indians Get Brett Lawrie. Rickey Romero, Bruce Rondon and Avisail Garcia.

Jays get Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson, Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Lindor.

Tigers get Adrubal Cabrera, David Huff, Mark Buehrle and Chris Perez.

You let the guy down a bit and let him see the changes, as a suggestion and you offer: Like so many of these "blockbuster" kind of Fantasy Baseball Trades, it has almost no chance of happening, but the concept does have some merit.

You wait for a reaction that says, someone read your posting, understood the changes and might have a " constructive" comment showing that new found knowledge and perhaps a suggestion!!...

Then you wait a while.. nothing happens. You look at the posting, not much happening so you restate the trade clearer and more easily followed so:

-and you get "No thanks from Jays" okay, but doesn't say why.. Then you get: Scherzer's going nowhere. (geeze that's what I just said in the trade. Maybe he didn't comprehend what he read?) Then there's the Nor is Garica or Rondon. The Tigers would rather keep those two than trade for Chris Perez. Sorry Indians fans. Well.. 10 minutes later, you find out that, maybe he wasn't comprehending this stuff. He says: Scherzer isn't going anywhere... v mart isn't either.. Well, this is pretty clearly becoming a personal matter.. no doubt about it. He thinks he's right. He thinks the Tigers are better with those guys, and not with other ones.. Saying he'd rather keep his own, that's an opinion I can respect.. But how did he know I was an Indians fan? Okay, so, maybe this is a little more than an opinion for sure, let me find out...

So I write a little note.. Of course Max Scherzer or Victor Martinez are going anywhere.. And, no, Chris Perez isn't the only player being traded to the Tigers, Asdrubal Cabrera is going three along with two P's, one a starter and very well respected, the other a quality closing option, perhaps the becoming the best on the Tigers squad. The Tigers would have to give up Rick Porcello, who they are shopping all over the ML's right now, and two young prospects with a lot promise.... but not veteran ML'ers at this time.

The Tigers are in it to win it in 2013. You tell me, do the tigers have a better chance to win with a proven closer, an impact middle infielder who can play both SS and 2B and a proven Lefty who knows the AL Central?...

This is a perfectly good question to ask at this time. Essentially it's are experienced and quality players going to give your squad a better chance at winning the WS than a group of players who show a lot of promise but haven't exactly established themselves at the Major League level. Which group is going to give the Tigers an advantage !.. and then you throw in a zinger to see if they are still wanting to spar a bit: uh huh.. perhaps you might want to think with the head above your shoulders...The response could be anything at this point...

Taking the "high road" as it would be after the blatant zinger, this is what is offered: I'd stick with Peralta, Porcello, Garcia, Rondon, etc., than give up the future for one title. Let me ask you: What is better? One title now, or 4, the first coming in 2015? I'd rather take 4, and wait. And, sorry, but Huff's not worth anything to us. Send A. Cabrera to the Cardinals, or somewhere else. We'll stick with our prospects.

Hmm.. Peralta is staying too. he wasn't even in the trade to begin with.. Oh, and here's a question. One Title now or 4 (HOW MANY??!!) what?.. the first coming in three years? huh? but you'll still take the 4 World Series Championships?. .

I'm dealing with a cro-magnon personality. He is right about Huff, though, so I have to make sure he's aware there are points that we agree on. As far as sending A Cabrera (did he mean Asdrubal or just one of the Cabrera's as in A Cabrera that could be Asdrubal or Miguel)to the Cardinals. Is he going to offer a fourth team to this deal? (btw, the Jays fan has given up on this discussion, I'm surprised anyone else is still reading, but that's me.) Back to the story. and he says that he's keeping his guys and that's that.. or, I'm tired of arguing this subject.. must be the ADD or ADHD.. I'll find out by responding..

Well a bird in the hand beats two in the bush or four in the bush or would that be five in the bush?. It will just have to wait for another day..

That is pretty odd, though.... T

The Tigers are targeting Edwin Jackson (who, Buehrle would be equal to or better than with his experience) and Joel Hanrahan (who, Chris Perez would be equal to or better than with more experience in the AL Central) & Asdrubal Cabrera, who, would be the best SS on the Tigers squad or the best 2B on the Tigers squad could also be part of what that team. I guess those four Championships would be MUCH MORE CERTAIN than one right now..

So I am waiting for the response from this.... and I got the work that needed to be completed, finished....

edit: it's now four hours later.. and absolutely ZERO response.. lost interest. moved on to more interesting trade proposals that make even less sense...yada yada.
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Curious but could the Tribe be interested trying to land Michael Bourn IF they miss out on Swisher? Brantley could man LF with Stubbs in RF.

I still tend to think the Tribe could try to get creative and add a RF maybe someone like Chris Young, Garrett Jones, or even Yoenis Cespedes.

I would think Cespedes was pretty close to untouchable. they paid big bucks to get him and he rewarded them with a big year. Maybe Crisp or Young from Oakland but can't see Cespedes (or Reddick).

I'd throw David DeJesus out there again. Cubs are said to be shopping Soriano but they'd probably be open to moving DeJesus too. Would need someone to platoon with him as he's god awful against lefties but solid OBP to replace the loss of Choo.

I don't see the Tribe pushing that hard for Bourn. He's really not any better than Brantley with the bat IMO and with Stubbs as a good defensive CFer, he's just not needed. Maybe (still big maybe though) if he would take a 1-year deal but I think a team like Seattle will overpay for him.

Sounds like Kubel could still be moved....already made one good trade with the D'backs, maybe try for two.

Also think a creative idea would be moving Santana to RF. Has the arm and is athletic enough to make a decent OFer. Would require getting a catcher but something to consider if you're Cleveland I'd think.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 pm

and the idea that Michael Bourn is a Scott Boras client, doesn't exactly endear him to the Indians...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 pm

I was just curious what the consesus was on Michael Bourn. IF I recall correctly the Tribe didn't want give up a cpl young arms for him - instead turning their attention to a SP who had FOR stuff. I think we all know how that worked out... Back to Bourn, he just doesn't really have a mkt unless TX or Seattle jump in on him and I'm not convinced they would right now.

There's obviously alot that goes on that we fans don't ever get wind of and some of us ponder "hey what if...". I think that's kind of where most of us are here. The Tribe does an excellent job keeping things quiet btw. But there are rumors etc., that get out some by agents, others by other org. and so on. It's interesting to see some of the rumors, speculation, etc., that goes on about your team. I was reading a blog earlier today about the St. Louis Cardinals one of the proposed trades they had about the Indians was ACab for Tyrell Jenkins straight up. Seriously? An Indians fan told them they'll need a lot more than that to land ACab and I completely agree. St. Louis is a team the Tribe has talked to about ACab and supposedly were close to a deal - depending on who you believe Joe Strauss / Paul Hoynes. I honestly believe we could see the Tribe and Cardinals come together on a deal, they have had talks several times and match up fairly well.

I know the A's have a lot invested in Yoenis Cespedes but they also have a ridiculous amount of depth in pitching and outfielders. Funny thing is they lack that dominate Closer and they have a hole at SS. The Tribe curiously has a plethora of talent that could fill their needs. Could the Tribe try an aggressive trade to land the young Cuban? Probably not, but the A's are likely facing a difficult climb in the AL West and the Tribe and A's could combine for some sort of deal that would satisfy the needs of both. Here's an idea or two...

Yoenis Cespedes and AJ Griffin for ACab and Chris Perez.
Dan Straily, AJ Griffin and Michael Choice for ACab and Vinnie Pestano.

I've heard that both Texas and Boston have called on Justin Masterson at one point or another, while I'd hate to move Masterson I could see the Tribe landing a solid deal for Masterson bc of the rising cost of the mkt. I'm not saying I think the Tribe should move Masterson but I think it's becoming clear the prices on the FA mkt could get crazy and IF a team really wants to add a FOR type arm at a cost controlled price Masterson could be a target.

I read on mlbtraderumors the Tribe was one of the teams inquiring in on Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. Harang is a bit over priced but Capuano seems to very reasonably priced. I'm not sure what the cost is but honestly, I'd simply prefer to see the Tribe get a cpl young arms to add to the rotation instead of Capuano - I think it's necessary they land at least one more solid high upside arm to the rotation thats ready now. There's plenty of offseason left and a number of teams that could step up and pay the price to land the pieces they perceive will put them over the top. I'm expecting the Tribe to remain busy and act aggressively to fill the holes on the big league roster.

I'm curious when / what the roster move is to add Mark Reynolds to the 40 man roster. Could they be intentionally delaying it because of a potential deal that is close?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I was just curious what the consesus was on Michael Bourn. IF I recall correctly the Tribe didn't want give up a cpl young arms for him - instead turning their attention to a SP who had FOR stuff. I think we all know how that worked out... Back to Bourn, he just doesn't really have a mkt unless TX or Seattle jump in on him and I'm not convinced they would right now.

There's obviously alot that goes on that we fans don't ever get wind of and some of us ponder "hey what if...". I think that's kind of where most of us are here. The Tribe does an excellent job keeping things quiet btw. But there are rumors etc., that get out some by agents, others by other org. and so on. It's interesting to see some of the rumors, speculation, etc., that goes on about your team. I was reading a blog earlier today about the St. Louis Cardinals one of the proposed trades they had about the Indians was ACab for Tyrell Jenkins straight up. Seriously? An Indians fan told them they'll need a lot more than that to land ACab and I completely agree. St. Louis is a team the Tribe has talked to about ACab and supposedly were close to a deal - depending on who you believe Joe Strauss / Paul Hoynes. I honestly believe we could see the Tribe and Cardinals come together on a deal, they have had talks several times and match up fairly well.

I know the A's have a lot invested in Yoenis Cespedes but they also have a ridiculous amount of depth in pitching and outfielders. Funny thing is they lack that dominate Closer and they have a hole at SS. The Tribe curiously has a plethora of talent that could fill their needs. Could the Tribe try an aggressive trade to land the young Cuban? Probably not, but the A's are likely facing a difficult climb in the AL West and the Tribe and A's could combine for some sort of deal that would satisfy the needs of both. Here's an idea or two...

Yoenis Cespedes and AJ Griffin for ACab and Chris Perez.
Dan Straily, AJ Griffin and Michael Choice for ACab and Vinnie Pestano.

I've heard that both Texas and Boston have called on Justin Masterson at one point or another, while I'd hate to move Masterson I could see the Tribe landing a solid deal for Masterson bc of the rising cost of the mkt. I'm not saying I think the Tribe should move Masterson but I think it's becoming clear the prices on the FA mkt could get crazy and IF a team really wants to add a FOR type arm at a cost controlled price Masterson could be a target.

I read on mlbtraderumors the Tribe was one of the teams inquiring in on Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. Harang is a bit over priced but Capuano seems to very reasonably priced. I'm not sure what the cost is but honestly, I'd simply prefer to see the Tribe get a cpl young arms to add to the rotation instead of Capuano - I think it's necessary they land at least one more solid high upside arm to the rotation thats ready now. There's plenty of offseason left and a number of teams that could step up and pay the price to land the pieces they perceive will put them over the top. I'm expecting the Tribe to remain busy and act aggressively to fill the holes on the big league roster.

I'm curious when / what the roster move is to add Mark Reynolds to the 40 man roster. Could they be intentionally delaying it because of a potential deal that is close?

I like your reasoning for wanting to trade Masterson. Being a good GM is all about understanding the market around you, and that market seems to have changed a number of times since we made the legendary Bartolo Colon trade. I agree that right now, with our current lack of high upside minor leaguers and rising costs of FA's, it may be beneficial to trade Masterson if he could land us Matt Barnes and another pitcher. Having multiple years on pitchers should give us power and the ability to always keep our organization filled with young talent, similar to what the A's have done the last decade. We could bring in massive hauls for above average pitchers just entering their arby years (3 years of control left) and we could use those young players we get in return to retool our major league team or trade to find a missing piece to an already competitive roster (for example, RA Dickey, Mike Morse, Justin Upton would be prime targets this year if we had any trade pieces).

I also like your trade scenarios with the A's. Cespedes is an all star, and relatively cheap, so I don't think he's going anywhere, but I like the second one. I don't like wasting time and throwing out offers that other teams would never agree to, but as much as I like the idea of getting 2 ML pitchers and a nice outfield prospect, I think I would need to ask for more for Acab and Pestano. You would have to think that the A's would value Pestano more than CP considering he is controlled longer, and cheaper.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby timdav » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:18 am

If the Indians real goal is to win a ring, I believe they should avoid the temptation to kid themselves that with a trade or two they are close to legitimate world series contender status. Not saying that they are kidding themselves, just fear they might make a successful trade or two and believe their work is over.

The Indians still need a LOT...especially starting pitching, but also at least a couple power-hitting corner position players.

They may care to call it something other than rebuilding their organization, but that's what IMHO they need to continue to do, as many of you have made great comments about here.

We need at least one more "Choo"-type trade that includes Bauer-type upside...maybe 2 more pitchers like him if they can pull it off for players like A-Cab or Chris Perez. (I'm guessing Masterson might be worth more to the Indians to keep him and work with him).

As you guys have been pointing out...the cost of FA's...even average-player/journeymen free agents has reached the crazy-stage. Teams like Cleveland just can't afford to build the core of a championship caliber team through free agency...especially pitching.

Great comments, guys.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby ironmike » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 am

Still some great players available including; Swisher, Jackson, Michael Bourn and Trumbo just to name a few.

IF the Indians want to get serious and WIN they still need to add two impact players / bats and a better than average starting pitcher. If they do, lots of good things could happen, including getting the fans back on their side.

Swisher, Trumbo and Jackson, those are John Hart kinda guys.

Go all out to get all three of them, whatever it takes.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 am

ironmike wrote:Still some great players available including; Swisher, Jackson, Michael Bourn and Trumbo just to name a few.

IF the Indians want to get serious and WIN they still need to add two impact players / bats and a better than average starting pitcher. If they do, lots of good things could happen, including getting the fans back on their side.

If it were only that easy. "Whatever it takes" is flatout irresponsible and in the case of Trumbo, probably impossible. Swisher clearly doesn't want to come to Cleveland, and Bourn's agent is in fact Scott Boras. Right or wrong, I don't see the Indians dealing with Boras anymore since he's nothing more than a walking headache.

The most realistic option, and that might be stretching it, is Jackson. I hope the Indians can get him with some type of 4 year offer. I think money is important to him, but after being passed around nearly every season since his birth, stability could be huge for him.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 am

Looks like the Mets and Blue Jays have an agreement in place, Heyman reporting teams are reviewing medical reports.

Players aren't known aside from the obvious, RA Dicky, but looks like the Mets are getting Travis D'Arnaud.

Also the Phillies signed reliever Mike Adams for 2 years 12 million with a vesting option.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
ironmike wrote:Still some great players available including; Swisher, Jackson, Michael Bourn and Trumbo just to name a few.

If it were only that easy. "Whatever it takes" is flatout irresponsible and in the case of Trumbo, probably impossible. Swisher clearly doesn't want to come to Cleveland, and Bourn's agent is in fact Scott Boras. Right or wrong, I don't see the Indians dealing with Boras anymore since he's nothing more than a walking headache.

The most realistic option, and that might be stretching it, is Jackson. I hope the Indians can get him with some type of 4 year offer. I think money is important to him, but after being passed around nearly every season since his birth, stability could be huge for him.

He might not want to play for the Indians but him waiting to get more $ certainly doesnt prove that. The reason he wouldnt is because they dont offer as much $ as other teams. That has always been the most likely scenario and he and his agent knew it was a long shot for the Indians to be willing to pay what others would. Jackson seems just as unlikely.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:22 am

An anonymous posting kind of caught my eye this morning:

14 Dec 2012 21:26:38
Indians and Angels finalizing trade to angels Asdrubal Cabrera and Justin Masterson Indians get Peter Bourjos and Mark Trumbo

And that's all it said.. Sounds like a lot of hogwash/hope/aint happen'in to me, but..

thoughts?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:42 am

BTw.. the same source for the Angels / Indians trade says the RA Dickey deal was done last night and it will be Anthony Gose, Adam Lind and Travis d'Arnaud for RA Dickey. This would give the Mets one too many 1Bs, no?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 am

Phillies sign John Lannan on a 1 year deal, 2.5 million guaranteed. Can make another 2.5 with incentives.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Don't know if he's speculating but FWIW I like the idea

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Multiple AL clubs in play for Kendrys Morales as it appears Halos want to hold on to both Trumbo & Bourjos.possible destinations? TB Hou Cle
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:05 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:An anonymous posting kind of caught my eye this morning:

Indians and Angels finalizing trade to angels Asdrubal Cabrera and Justin Masterson Indians get Peter Bourjos and Mark Trumbo

And that's all it said.. Sounds like a lot of hogwash/hope/aint happen'in to me, but..

thoughts?

Considering Jim Bowden's recent tweet about Morales, I'll call that tweet bs
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:An anonymous posting kind of caught my eye this morning:

thoughts?

Considering Jim Bowden's recent tweet about Morales, I'll call that tweet bs

I'd agree that it could be BS.. but then again.. so was the chance of getting a F.O.R. SP, a starting CF'er and two useful BP arms for Shin-soo Choo, Jason Donald, Tony Sipp, and the real deal breaker, Lars Anderson !!..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:53 pm

I like Morales, depending on what we have to give up in a trade. He is a little risky, but also massive upside if he can get back to his pre-injury form. How is his defense at 1st base? I would only be interested if he could still play first. No more DH only guys.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm

BrianM wrote:I like Morales, depending on what we have to give up in a trade. He is a little risky, but also massive upside if he can get back to his pre-injury form. How is his defense at 1st base? I would only be interested if he could still play first. No more DH only guys.

He played 28 games at first last season so he could at the very least spell Reynolds if they just want to give Santana a full day off.

Not sure how his range or mobility are and how well he can pick it since he busted his ankle though, he was only charged with 1 error for what it's worth.

The down side is he's a FA after 2013 so he would almost certainly be a one and done acquisition. Would prefer the Indians get a longer term solution.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors