RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 am

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Boras has been quoted as saying:
... Soriano "could get $60 million for four years" on the open market this offseason

Soriano converted 42 of 46 save opportunities.. Chris Perez converted 39 of 43 save opportunities..about the same.. If someone wants to drop 15 MM on a 27/28 year old as opposed to a 33/34 year old, that would be to their benefit. Perhaps, not only has the value of Chris Perez gone up.. but so has the urgency. The Yankees are in a situation where they are trying to lower their payroll for the 2013/2014 season.. Hello, Mr Cashman?..

I don't think the Yanks would make a move for Chris Perez until they know more about Mariano Rivera. They have stated they want to save money and if Rivera does come back, then they most likely won't want to pay a setup guy like Perez $7M. Now if they do lose Soriano and Rivera ends up deciding to call it quits, then Perez would be a fit for the Yanks.

As far as 4/$60M for Soriano...he has been solid as a closer but that's $10M more than what Papelbon got last year (which most felt was an overpay)....more power to Boras if he really thinks he can get a team to go for it though I guess...

Hermie.. Mo is most likely done.. 43 year olds don't make come backs to the Major Leagues.. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest of all time. The Yankees will take care of him..give him a chance to capitalize on his successes commercially as well as teach / mentor / nurture his transition to famed former player.. Good luck to Mo. He's been truly a great player to watch (except when he was mowing down Indians)...

Yeah, agree, Papelbon was an overpay.. Soriano will be poorer because of his reliance on Scott Boras and his usual pattern of declining options, holding players out for the last dime.. while watching the people he is supposed to represent lose their shirts as sanity overcomes fiscal stupidity.

The Yankees will have at least one and possibly two closer types they will pursue during this Hot Stove season. Prudence dictates they cannot enter the 2013 season with such uncertainty at the back of their pen. They have a limited choice of internal candidates (although, imho, if the NYY's were to give the closer job to Joba Chamberlain, he would absolutely flourish and become the success he promised in 2007). Their other internal candidate, Dave Robertson, is a LOT like Vinnie Pestano.. a great 8th inning set up guy. In the few chances Robertson was given to close, he was pretty dreadful. That was only a hand full of chances. He could be a LOT better the second time around. Look at Mariano Rivera's career.. He wasn't the greatest at what he became the first time around, either..

Is Chris Perez a target of the the NYY's if Mariano Rivera retires?.. Probably yes. The addition of CP to the NYY's coupled with the exit of Mo and Soriano along with several other contract conclusions would lower the NYY's payroll to below the competitive balance tax threshhold the Yankees seem intent on achieving. FWIW and IMHO, as soon as the Red Sox or the Orioles or the Rays or the Jays show they can kick the Yankees in the teeth, this fiscal sanity program will be thrown out the window..

The Yankees have some interesting prospects, but no one that would be considered a FOR SP or a power hitting Corner OF'er or 1B.. As far as a trading partner, the Yankees don't seem to be a fit for the Indians..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 am

Just a quick note.. Of the top 50 Free Agents for the coming 2013 Hot Stove season, Tim Dierkes (pronounced like Circus) has the Indians signing not one single guy..

Here's the link to the listing: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/2 ... ons-1.html
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:20 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Hermie.. Mo is most likely done.. 43 year olds don't make come backs to the Major Leagues.. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest of all time. The Yankees will take care of him..give him a chance to capitalize on his successes commercially as well as teach / mentor / nurture his transition to famed former player.. Good luck to Mo. He's been truly a great player to watch (except when he was mowing down Indians)...

Yeah, agree, Papelbon was an overpay.. Soriano will be poorer because of his reliance on Scott Boras and his usual pattern of declining options, holding players out for the last dime.. while watching the people he is supposed to represent lose their shirts as sanity overcomes fiscal stupidity.

The Yankees will have at least one and possibly two closer types they will pursue during this Hot Stove season. Prudence dictates they cannot enter the 2013 season with such uncertainty at the back of their pen. They have a limited choice of internal candidates (although, imho, if the NYY's were to give the closer job to Joba Chamberlain, he would absolutely flourish and become the success he promised in 2007). Their other internal candidate, Dave Robertson, is a LOT like Vinnie Pestano.. a great 8th inning set up guy. In the few chances Robertson was given to close, he was pretty dreadful. That was only a hand full of chances. He could be a LOT better the second time around. Look at Mariano Rivera's career.. He wasn't the greatest at what he became the first time around, either..

Is Chris Perez a target of the the NYY's if Mariano Rivera retires?.. Probably yes. The addition of CP to the NYY's coupled with the exit of Mo and Soriano along with several other contract conclusions would lower the NYY's payroll to below the competitive balance tax threshhold the Yankees seem intent on achieving. FWIW and IMHO, as soon as the Red Sox or the Orioles or the Rays or the Jays show they can kick the Yankees in the teeth, this fiscal sanity program will be thrown out the window..

The Yankees have some interesting prospects, but no one that would be considered a FOR SP or a power hitting Corner OF'er or 1B.. As far as a trading partner, the Yankees don't seem to be a fit for the Indians..

Moyer attempted a comeback at 49 so don't think it's crazy at all to think Rivera will try and come back at 43, especially since he has said he doesn't want to go out via a freak injury like he had. Maybe he just can't comeback though and decides to call it quits; we shall see.

I don't see the Yanks as that great a trade partner either unless we're looking at lower level specs and/or take a flyer on one of their injuried/disappointing young starters. Plus the Yanks could give the job to Robertson, who was arguably better than even Pestano this year. Then again, it is the Yanks so you never know....did not see the Soriano addition a few years ago when they still had Rivera...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Just a quick note.. Of the top 50 Free Agents for the coming 2013 Hot Stove season, Tim Dierkes (pronounced like Circus) has the Indians signing not one single guy..

Here's the link to the listing: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/2 ... ons-1.html

Good read. I don't know how accurate his predictions really are, but the analysis of the players was very informative.

The amount of money and years hes projected to players seems incredibly high, but the way the market has been the last couple years, It is probably accurate. I see good news and bad news with this. The bad news is we are unlikely to sign any of the higher end FA's like Bourne, Upton, Jackson, Pagan, and Napoli among others we have discussed (Cody Ross and Melky may still be options). The good news is if it is gonna cost this much to sign average players in free agency, the trade value of Choo, Astroball, Perez, and even guys like Smith, Pestano, and Masterson, may be much more than I had anticipated.

I still believe in a complete rebuild for 2014-2018, and this type information just reinforces my beliefs. Now may be a better time than ever to try to sell on our upside players and try to get top notch young talent in return. Not necessarily mlb ready talent, just very high upside talent. Trading Choo, ACab, and Perez should net us quite a bit and if we do sign a Cody Ross and a Melky Cabrera it should keep us out of the cellar and give us a chance to play .500 baseball. Just my opinion.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Rick Ankiel considering a return to pitching. Maybe an option as a high upside project?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... o-pitching
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Just a quick note.. Of the top 50 Free Agents for the coming 2013 Hot Stove season, Tim Dierkes (pronounced like Circus) has the Indians signing not one single guy..

Not a big surprise considering what the Tribe did in free agency last year....Kotchman, Damon, Wheeler, Accardo...

Tribe was in on serveral top guys last year so maybe this year they are able to land them, but they didn't give much confidence to people to pick them getting anyone of value so IMO can't fault a site like MLBTR for not picking us to get a top 50 guy. Seems too that most media outlets seem to think the Tribe is more likely to sell off much of their team rather than build around what they have for a run in 2013. Personally would like to see a nice mix of both (ala what the A's did this past winter)...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 pm

BrianM wrote:Rick Ankiel considering a return to pitching. Maybe an option as a high upside project?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... o-pitching

Would definitely be an intriguing guy to sign. My guess is a lot of teams will have that idea though as lefties aren't easy to come by in the pen. Will be interesting to see if he does go back to pitching, great arm no doubt.

As an OFer thought he was a guy the Tribe could bring in on a minor league deal, similar to an Austin Kearns. May like him more though as a pitcher even though it's been a few years...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:49 pm

BrianM wrote:Good read. I don't know how accurate his predictions really are, but the analysis of the players was very informative.

The amount of money and years hes projected to players seems incredibly high, but the way the market has been the last couple years, It is probably accurate. I see good news and bad news with this. The bad news is we are unlikely to sign any of the higher end FA's like Bourne, Upton, Jackson, Pagan, and Napoli among others we have discussed (Cody Ross and Melky may still be options). The good news is if it is gonna cost this much to sign average players in free agency, the trade value of Choo, Astroball, Perez, and even guys like Smith, Pestano, and Masterson, may be much more than I had anticipated.

I still believe in a complete rebuild for 2014-2018, and this type information just reinforces my beliefs. Now may be a better time than ever to try to sell on our upside players and try to get top notch young talent in return. Not necessarily mlb ready talent, just very high upside talent. Trading Choo, ACab, and Perez should net us quite a bit and if we do sign a Cody Ross and a Melky Cabrera it should keep us out of the cellar and give us a chance to play .500 baseball. Just my opinion.

Napoli is a guy I am not so sure is out of the Tribe's reach. Hasn't played in 120 games the last 2 years, an average at best defensive catcher, and took a big step back from his 2011 performance. Agree with Dierkes that there doesn't look like a lot of teams out there that seem to be in such need of a catcher that they'll break the bank on Napoli. Does have great power but missed most of August. I agree again with Dierkes that if he's offered arby by the Rangers that he may very well accept as I don't think he'll get $13M on the open market. May decide he wants a multi-year deal more but I think he could be had for a deal around (or even less) than what Cuddyer got last year. Don't think that is out of the Tribe's price-range...though they could decide it's not worth it. IMO would be a nice add though as he can fill C/1B/DH along with Santana and obviously fills that RH power slot we need. Actually think Napoli may be more likely than Ross at this point.

Agree with you a bit on trading guys too and building for 2014, but as I mentioned I'd like to see a little of both selling and buying. Seems you kinda feel the same way. Think .500 is very doable if the Tribe has a solid off-season...and we saw this year you don't have to be much better to make the playoffs.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm

I think Napoli could be a guy that lands any where in the $9 - $12M range. It depends on where teams see him (C/1b) and want to utilize him. I'd definitely offer him 3 yrs w/ 4th yr option at $42 M. Similar deal that I'd offer on Sanchez, Jackson, Upton.

I completely disagree with the mlbtraderumors top 50 FA's projections. I'd be willing to say the Tribe lands 2/3 of them and a bench player on a much lesser level (Casey McGehee / Juan Rivera).

I believe the Tribe will move Perez this offseason. Choo and Acab are guys who could go now but will go at the deadline if not sooner. Also, the Tribe will move Joe Smith at some point too, I'm guessing they hold him until the deadline IF / WHEN CPerez is traded.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think Napoli could be a guy that lands any where in the $9 - $12M range. It depends on where teams see him (C/1b) and want to utilize him. I'd definitely offer him 3 yrs w/ 4th yr option at $42 M. Similar deal that I'd offer on Sanchez, Jackson, Upton.

I completely disagree with the mlbtraderumors top 50 FA's projections. I'd be willing to say the Tribe lands 2/3 of them and a bench player or two outside the top 50.

A few of the predictions don't make any sense IMO. Mike Napoli might like Texas, but Houston makes very little sense to me. I get they'll have the DH next year. I can't see a 32 year old power hitter that has plenty of value left, being signed or signing to play in a complete rebuild project. I would believe there will actually be a solid market for Napoli since he is right handed and can be versatile to a lineup splitting time between C, 1B, & DH
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I think Napoli could be a guy that lands any where in the $9 - $12M range. It depends on where teams see him (C/1b) and want to utilize him. I'd definitely offer him 3 yrs w/ 4th yr option at $42 M. Similar deal that I'd offer on Sanchez, Jackson, Upton.

I completely disagree with the mlbtraderumors top 50 FA's projections. I'd be willing to say the Tribe lands 2/3 of them and a bench player or two outside the top 50.

A few of the predictions don't make any sense IMO. Mike Napoli might like Texas, but Houston makes very little sense to me. I get they'll have the DH next year. I can't see a 32 year old power hitter that has plenty of value left, being signed or signing to play in a complete rebuild project. I would believe there will actually be a solid market for Napoli since he is right handed and can be versatile to a lineup splitting time between C, 1B, & DH

I agree. The article mentioned that teams don't need catchers, but plenty of teams need rh bats. He will be coveted by more than just a couple teams. I will also concede to you Hermie about Napoli being out of our price range. He will be expensive, and I don't know how I feel about throwing good money and years at him, but I do think it is fairly realistic that the tribe could throw that 4 year deal at him, if they like him enough, and he would accept.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm

BrianM wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

I agree. The article mentioned that teams don't need catchers, but plenty of teams need rh bats. He will be coveted by more than just a couple teams. I will also concede to you Hermie about Napoli being out of our price range. He will be expensive, and I don't know how I feel about throwing good money and years at him, but I do think it is fairly realistic that the tribe could throw that 4 year deal at him, if they like him enough, and he would accept.

Yeah I dont know where is coming up with his Napoli stuff, if he ends up in Houston that means IMO Houston had one of the busiest and bestest off-seasons. Also if it is believed he can be an "everyday" catcher then a few teams will be in on him.

As far as price goes I am starting to think it will be too much for the tribe. We will see, I have very low expectations for this years off-season so I hjope to be surprised in a good way.

Also, there are enough closers and back end BP arms out there to weaken CPerez's trade value right now. His value could sky rocket or sowly erode. I listen to offers but unless it's a no-brainer I am hanging onto Perez. Now as next seasons trade deadlilne nears, both Perez and Choo could possibly return quite a bit more than they would right now or then again they could return nothing.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm

I think Choo's value will be about the same now as it would at the deadline -- assuming he remains healthy, which is risky business if you ask me. I'd rather see the Tribe move on to the future in RF, but that's not here now and would likely have to come by way of trade.

I think ther could be a solid mkt for Perez this offseason there are qlty arms out there but no closers worth mentioning IMO outside Soriano. Teams like LA Angels, Philly, Miami, NY Yanx, NY Mets, Detroit, TX and SF could all have interest.

Napoli is a guy teams could be weary of bc of the number of games he's missed or hasn't caught if they want / need a C. I'd love to seethe Tribe land him for 3yrs w/ an option for 4th BUT I could see someone dropping $12M on him per yr over 4/5 yrs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:29 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think Choo's value will be about the same now as it would at the deadline -- assuming he remains healthy, which is risky business if you ask me. I'd rather see the Tribe move on to the future in RF, but that's not here now and would likely have to come by way of trade.

I think ther could be a solid mkt for Perez this offseason there are qlty arms out there but no closers worth mentioning IMO outside Soriano. Teams like LA Angels, Philly, Miami, NY Yanx, NY Mets, Detroit, TX and SF could all have interest.

Napoli is a guy teams could be weary of bc of the number of games he's missed or hasn't caught if they want / need a C. I'd love to seethe Tribe land him for 3yrs w/ an option for 4th BUT I could see someone dropping $12M on him per yr over 4/5 yrs.

Couple of points.. Choo's value won't be any higher than it will be this off season. The teams that are looking to acquire him will have an opportunity to trade for and sign him to an extension. That kind of deal seldom happens at the trading deadline. The Indians should exhaust ALL avenues to move Choo during this hot stove. I like the Nats and the Dbax as trade partners for Choo.

As far as Mike Napoli is concerned.. the same situation exists as what was happening with Willingham last off season. Two year deal with a club option for the third is as far as the Indians should go. Longer than that and he has to be a corner OF'er or IF'er that has to be less than 28 years old... Napoli signing with the Indians is a long shot under the best of circumstances.. Almost zero chance he signs with the Indians now...

The market for a closer that has proven to be one of the best in the AL over the last two or three years and is just entering his prime along with a first year price tag at a reasonable $ 7 MM makes CP all the more attractive. Even if the club that acquires him has to pay his ARB III salary in 2014, he's still a bargain compared to what Scott Boras is asking for.. Two years of CP for about the same price as one year of Papelbon, Soriano, etc... can't be beat.. not for that kind of performance.

The real question becomes.. when is the best time to make the trade. If during this year's Hot Stove season, the Indians are approached by anyone of the teams mentioned (excluding the Tigers, even though they've made trades in the recent past), then it has to be a deal that would have to be an 'overpay'. Otherwise, what's the point? Keep CP until the trading deadline or until someone who reallllllly thinks they're going contend loses their closer. e.g.. the Nats may become desperate for a closer and have a prospect or prospects such as Anthony Rendon or Alex Meyer or Lucas Giolito or Tyler Moore that would interest the Indians.. hmm?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

BrianM wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

I don't think Napoli will be out of our price range, though he could be out of our 'years' range...I just don't see the Tribe throwing 4 years at him. Years are more important to the Tribe than money a lot of the time (as we saw with Willingham last year). I'm not even sure we'd go 3 years on Napoli to be honest (though think it's a worthwhile risk if the money is right).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 pm

While I believe Buster Olney is only being speculative, he mentioned the Indians & Angels having a lot of common ground regarding potential dealings.

He mentions Chris Perez and Pete Bourjos and Vernon Wells (with LA paying) specifically.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 pm

A team I haven't seen mentioned for Choo (though maybe someone has) is the Cincinnati Reds. They are looking for a leadoff hitter and Choo had the 2nd highest OBP out of the leadoff spot this year (of qualifying hitters) in all of baseball, behind only some guy named Mike Trout. Reds have a lot of money tied up in Phillips and Votto so probably can't afford a guy like Bourn...maybe they can land a guy like Victorino but Choo would be a solid add to LF (or RF if they move Bruce to LF), especially if Ludwick moves on. Reds have a few intriguing prospects and personally would inquire on Homer Bailey's availability as well (though Leake is probably the one they'd move from the rotation). A few minor league arms that would be nice adds IMO too.

Actually think the Reds could be fits for all 3 of our top trade guys (Choo, Perez, and AC).

Madson declined his mutual option (not sure why to be honest but o well) and there's still talks of Adolis Chapman moving to the rotation so may be in need of a closer there. Reds did sign Madson to a 1 year $10M deal (plus option)....CP would be essentially a 1 yr $7M deal with a $10M or so option after that (my early guess of what he'll get in arby in 2014). Few people are projecting them to go after a Valverde or trying to re-sing Broxton as well but just another team that could be in need of a closer this winter.

Cozart did ok this year but they could look at it as they are close to being a World Series team and could look at that upgrade. In 2 years Hamilton should be ready to step right in for AC then when his contract is up (if he's not dealt or moved to CF). For the Tribe getting a guy like Cozart would be a step down offensively but an upgrade defensively and gives you a cheaper guy that has more years. Allows you to bring Lindor along as his pace instead of possibly rushing him to get him here when AC is gone.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:While I believe Buster Olney is only being speculative, he mentioned the Indians & Angels having a lot of common ground regarding potential dealings.

He mentions Chris Perez and Pete Bourjos and Vernon Wells (with LA paying) specifically.

Not a big fan of getting Wells even if the Angels paid though there was talk of Soriano last year so could see it. Guess if he costs less than $2-3M total (over the life of his terrible deal) you could say it's worth a gamble. Still hoping for Haren from the Angels and wouldn't mind Wells if it was a combo. Not the biggest Bourjos fan but love his defense and worst case could be a guy you move later as lots of teams need a CFer and teams love defense these days.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 am

Hermie13 wrote:A team I haven't seen mentioned for Choo (though maybe someone has) is the Cincinnati Reds. They are looking for a leadoff hitter and Choo had the 2nd highest OBP out of the leadoff spot this year (of qualifying hitters) in all of baseball, behind only some guy named Mike Trout. Reds have a lot of money tied up in Phillips and Votto so probably can't afford a guy like Bourn...maybe they can land a guy like Victorino but Choo would be a solid add to LF (or RF if they move Bruce to LF), especially if Ludwick moves on. Reds have a few intriguing prospects and personally would inquire on Homer Bailey's availability as well (though Leake is probably the one they'd move from the rotation). A few minor league arms that would be nice adds IMO too.

Actually think the Reds could be fits for all 3 of our top trade guys (Choo, Perez, and AC).

Madson declined his mutual option (not sure why to be honest but o well) and there's still talks of Adolis Chapman moving to the rotation so may be in need of a closer there. Reds did sign Madson to a 1 year $10M deal (plus option)....CP would be essentially a 1 yr $7M deal with a $10M or so option after that (my early guess of what he'll get in arby in 2014). Few people are projecting them to go after a Valverde or trying to re-sing Broxton as well but just another team that could be in need of a closer this winter.

Cozart did ok this year but they could look at it as they are close to being a World Series team and could look at that upgrade. In 2 years Hamilton should be ready to step right in for AC then when his contract is up (if he's not dealt or moved to CF). For the Tribe getting a guy like Cozart would be a step down offensively but an upgrade defensively and gives you a cheaper guy that has more years. Allows you to bring Lindor along as his pace instead of possibly rushing him to get him here when AC is gone.

Hermie, Choo to Cincinnati discussed here:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/b ... -eve-33267

Hilarious Albert Belle reference. Here are some guys we should be trying to get:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/ ... t-for-2013

Three guys in the top 12 for AZ. Disgusting, and that doesn't even include Miley or Corbin. Also, I really don't like either of the Seattle guys, Walker or Hultzen.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 am

Rocky55 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:A team I haven't seen mentioned for Choo (though maybe someone has) is the Cincinnati Reds. They are looking for a leadoff hitter and Choo had the 2nd highest OBP out of the leadoff spot this year (of qualifying hitters) in all of baseball, behind only some guy named Mike Trout. Reds have a lot of money tied up in Phillips and Votto so probably can't afford a guy like Bourn...maybe they can land a guy like Victorino but Choo would be a solid add to LF (or RF if they move Bruce to LF), especially if Ludwick moves on. Reds have a few intriguing prospects and personally would inquire on Homer Bailey's availability as well (though Leake is probably the one they'd move from the rotation). A few minor league arms that would be nice adds IMO too.

Hilarious Albert Belle reference. Here are some guys we should be trying to get:

Three guys in the top 12 for AZ. Disgusting, and that doesn't even include Miley or Corbin. Also, I really don't like either of the Seattle guys, Walker or Hultzen.

ughhh if you werent a believer in needing to rebuild this team before, just look at that list. Im not sure the indians would have a guy in the top 75.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 am

Rocky55 wrote:

Missed that article.

Not a big fan of Soto as the main piece in a Choo deal. Has power but not much else. Probably needs more time at AAA. Fear he's a younger version of Matt LaPorta. Wouldn't be a bad buy low guy after only 14 HRs in AAA but again, not the main piece. If you're going specs from the Reds one of their two young pitching studs makes way more sense to me (really like Cueto...err, Corcino).

Also, if you were to approach the Reds about Choo, I'd ask on Stubbs. yes yes, he strikesout right up there with Dunn and Reynolds, but is he really all that much worse than say BJ Upton, whom the Tribe (supposively) had great interest in last year? Solid defensive CFer who can steal bases when he's on. Obviously didn't get on much in 2012, but if he could at least get back to 2011 levels he'd be a solid add (and has 3 years left). Not a guy at the top of my wishlist but someone that probably could be had...adn again, not a guy I'd want as the main piece for Choo.

Not a huge Hultzen fan either. Think he can be a very solid MLB pitcher, but don't think he'll be an Ace and may only be a #3 for contending team. Thought Seattle overdrafted him, especially with so many other high-end guys in that draft. Not complaining though as I thought Lindor would have been a great pick for them (and some rumors they were considering it).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 am

Once again speculation from Jon Heyman, but interesting to note what he says Michael Bourn and BJ Upton could fetch as FA's noting the Nationals and Phillies as the favorites.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... -elsewhere

Bourn is seen as potentially signing for $80 million over five years, and Upton $perhaps 60 million over five, maybe even more. Center field is perhaps the strongest free-agent position, with Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino also free, but the market should be especially strong for Bourn and Upton.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 am

Hermie13 wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

Missed that article.

Not a big fan of Soto as the main piece in a Choo deal. Has power but not much else. Probably needs more time at AAA. Fear he's a younger version of Matt LaPorta. Wouldn't be a bad buy low guy after only 14 HRs in AAA but again, not the main piece. If you're going specs from the Reds one of their two young pitching studs makes way more sense to me (really like Cueto...err, Corcino).

Also, if you were to approach the Reds about Choo, I'd ask on Stubbs. yes yes, he strikesout right up there with Dunn and Reynolds, but is he really all that much worse than say BJ Upton, whom the Tribe (supposively) had great interest in last year? Solid defensive CFer who can steal bases when he's on. Obviously didn't get on much in 2012, but if he could at least get back to 2011 levels he'd be a solid add (and has 3 years left). Not a guy at the top of my wishlist but someone that probably could be had...adn again, not a guy I'd want as the main piece for Choo.

Not a huge Hultzen fan either. Think he can be a very solid MLB pitcher, but don't think he'll be an Ace and may only be a #3 for contending team. Thought Seattle overdrafted him, especially with so many other high-end guys in that draft. Not complaining though as I thought Lindor would have been a great pick for them (and some rumors they were considering it).

To some degree, I'd disagree with you on Neftali Soto.. he doesn't hit at all like Matt Laporta. He hits a LOT more like Victor Martinez does from the left side of the plate (yes, I know Soto is a RH hitter).. The key to Soto's hitting is his tremendous hand eye coordination and balance through the hitting zone. You seldom see that combination from someone who has a long swing and a slightly uppercut swing that generates the kind of power this kid does. He has great hip action. His load mechanics are true and unfettered by excessive or extra movement. His stride through the ball very compact and repeated. In short, he's a slugger that puts the bat on the ball. His BA might be lower than you'd like, but I think it's more a factor of poor pitch recognition that swing mechanics and bat speed, which he has plenty of (very much UNLIKE Matt LaPorta). If the Indians can get this kid, he'd be a fine addition to the club, but, would need to be coached up some.

You are correct in identifying him as a part or piece of a trade, but not the primary primary. Dan Corcino and/or Nick Travieso & Kyle Lotzkar (if he is deemed healthy by the Indians docs prior to a trade). The Indians might also inquire on Xavier Paul who seems to be "available" from the Reds.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Once again speculation from Jon Heyman, but interesting to note what he says Michael Bourn and BJ Upton could fetch as FA's noting the Nationals and Phillies as the favorites.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... -elsewhere

Bourn is seen as potentially signing for $80 million over five years, and Upton $perhaps 60 million over five, maybe even more. Center field is perhaps the strongest free-agent position, with Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino also free, but the market should be especially strong for Bourn and Upton.

There have been reports that Bourn is looking for a $100M contract...to me that's just insane for a guy that's not that great a leadoff hitter. Plays amazing defense but need to hit to be worth that IMO. Even $80M is outrageous but then again what the Nats gave Werth was ridiculous so who knows. $60M for Upton is just as crazy IMO, though could see him getting it, especially from someone like the Philies or Nats..
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm

BrianM wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

ughhh if you werent a believer in needing to rebuild this team before, just look at that list. Im not sure the indians would have a guy in the top 75.

You might be right Brian, unless we could get Haley stretched out to start. Haley's arm is better than most of the guys on the list. The best current SP's we have at AA or above might be Salazar & TJ House.

House has surprised me. I'd written him off due to his early maturity & only middling arm strength. Thing is, it looks like he went out & learned how to pitch. After a quite good season at Akron beginning with a short stint in Carolina, House is really pitching well in the AFL. If he can continue to progress I could see a late season call up to the big club in '13.

Another thing, Crick & Blackburn at 36 & 38, maybe we send Choo to SF & get both of them. Pagan might be pricing himself out of SF, if his reported salary demands are true.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:To some degree, I'd disagree with you on Neftali Soto.. he doesn't hit at all like Matt Laporta. He hits a LOT more like Victor Martinez does from the left side of the plate (yes, I know Soto is a RH hitter).. The key to Soto's hitting is his tremendous hand eye coordination and balance through the hitting zone. You seldom see that combination from someone who has a long swing and a slightly uppercut swing that generates the kind of power this kid does. He has great hip action. His load mechanics are true and unfettered by excessive or extra movement. His stride through the ball very compact and repeated. In short, he's a slugger that puts the bat on the ball. His BA might be lower than you'd like, but I think it's more a factor of poor pitch recognition that swing mechanics and bat speed, which he has plenty of (very much UNLIKE Matt LaPorta). If the Indians can get this kid, he'd be a fine addition to the club, but, would need to be coached up some.

You are correct in identifying him as a part or piece of a trade, but not the primary primary. Dan Corcino and/or Nick Travieso & Kyle Lotzkar (if he is deemed healthy by the Indians docs prior to a trade). The Indians might also inquire on Xavier Paul who seems to be "available" from the Reds.

Guess I just don't see it in Soto. Most scouts feel he's a power hitter who won't hit for average or draw a ton of walks. Everyone has their own opinions on all prospects, but BP compared him to Russell Branyan (saying he could reach those levels). Doesn't strike out that much but did K in 25% of his ABs this year. Not a good defender at 1B either and lack of speed...maybe could play LF if needed as arm is ok but I stand by my LaPorta comp. If the Tribe were to land him I hope you are right though. If we could get him and Corcino that would be a very good haul for 1 year of Choo. Would have no issues with that, even with Soto being a 1-dimensional player in my eyes (though only seen him play once live...wasn't impressed). I just don't see the Reds giving up both of them for 1 year of Choo...I think even getting Corcino for Choo would be tough...

Xavier Paul could be a nice add as a platoon guy (had like 3 at-bats against lefties all year). Personally would prefer Heisey who I know many were interested in last year. Took a step back this year but still hit lefties very well. He'd be on the bench again if they got Choo so they may be open to moving him. A Paul/Heisey platoon actually doesn't look that unappealing IMO...Think Reds would actually be smart to consider that for LF if Ludwick leaves..
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
BrianM wrote:ughhh if you werent a believer in needing to rebuild this team before, just look at that list. Im not sure the indians would have a guy in the top 75.

You might be right Brian, unless we could get Haley stretched out to start. Haley's arm is better than most of the guys on the list. The best current SP's we have at AA or above might be Salazar & TJ House.

House has surprised me. I'd written him off due to his early maturity & only middling arm strength. Thing is, it looks like he went out & learned how to pitch. After a quite good season at Akron beginning with a short stint in Carolina, House is really pitching well in the AFL. If he can continue to progress I could see a late season call up to the big club in '13.

Another thing, Crick & Blackburn at 36 & 38, maybe we send Choo to SF & get both of them. Pagan might be pricing himself out of SF, if his reported salary demands are true.

I still think Haley is only a bullpen arm, though with that lack of high-end starting specs, may be worth a shot. Agree he's got a great arm, but thought he was a releiver the day we drafted him (few teams eyed him as such from reports at the time).

Been a huge House fan, probably too high on him. I think he does have a shot at seeing the bigs late next year. I hope he doesn't end up moved to the pen like Barnes was though could see it as he doesn't have great upside as a starter (but think he'd be a nice BOR guy with MOR potential).

Choo to the Giants does make a lot of sense, especially if Pagan moves on. A spot where I could see him eventually re-signing too (large Asian population there).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Rocky55 wrote: Another thing, Crick & Blackburn at 36 & 38, maybe we send Choo to SF & get both of them. Pagan might be pricing himself out of SF, if his reported salary demands are true.

Rendering an opinion here.. We might consider adding in Eric Surkamp's name to the possible return for Choo, even though he missed all of 2012 recovering from TJ surgery. He won't be ready for the start of the 2013 season but could be a late season call up if his health and pitching ability gets all the way back. He'd be that "extra guy" the Indians would get to go with either Kyle Crick or Clay Blackburn.. I doubt the Giants give up both. Of the two, {Crick or Blackburn} I don't who would the Giants would be more willing to give up..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:13 pm

I could see a Choo and Smith for Gary Brown, Kyle Crick, Clayton Blackburn & Eric Surkamp type deal getting done.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Indians claim Blake Wood from KC off waivers
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:21 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I could see a Choo and Smith for Gary Brown, Kyle Crick, Clayton Blackburn & Eric Surkamp type deal getting done.

I kinda like that trade but want to keep Smith. I think he sets up Pestano if CP is traded. Wasn't my idea but I read it and agree with it. Perfect bridge for Allen. SF doesn't need pitchers anyway. Don't know who else to include with Choo.

Agree with Hermie (no, really) about Soto, I wouldn't trade anything resembling a prospect for Soto. Like to get Corcino and/or Stephenson. As suggested, I'd do Choo for Heisey & one of the pitchers too. Or, we could do Choo+ for Mesoraco & move Santana to RF...and leave him there.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:24 pm

The O's have claimed Alexi Casilla 2b off waivers from the Twins. I think he could have been an interesting bench piece for the Tribe. But he's projected to get about $1.8 M in arb. I would have thought about using him to replace Hannahan, just saying would have thought about it.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Cubs claimed former Tribe farm hand Zack Putnam off waivers from Colorado
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Angels trade Dan Haren to the Cubs for closer (at times) Carlos Marmol

EDIT: Aaaannnnd of course now the trade "is not done" and Marmol has the Angels on his no trade list.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:58 am

Here's a list of players who recieved a qualifying offer tied to draft pk compensation. Teams that sign these players will lose their draft pk unless it is top 10 protected, while the team losing the player will gain the comp pk after rd one. Teams no longer recieve the other teams pk as compensation.

- Josh Hamilton, Rangers
- David Ortiz, Red Sox
- Rafael Soriano, Yankees
- Nick Swisher, Yankees
- Hiroki Kuroda, Yankees
- B.J. Upton, Rays
- Kyle Lohse, Cardinals
- Michael Bourn, Braves
- Adam LaRoche, Nationals
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Esmil Rodgers for Mike Aviles and Yan Gomez. I like it. Lots of versatility with Aviles and Gomez. Think this means guys named Hannahan, Godert, Donald (<-- the OF maybe?) are not expected to be part of the 2013 tribe. Canzler and Anderson could be jotted at the end of that list too IMO. Also if you think Aviles has everyday SS ability Acab is now for sale.

Kinda funny, our best 2012 pick-up, an in-season cash deal for a DFA"d player turns into one of the better off-season moves in recent history... Holding my breath though, Lowe's signing was a "good" start last year but we saw where it went from there...
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Esmil Rodgers for Mike Aviles and Yan Gomez. I like it. Lots of versatility with Aviles and Gomez. Think this means guys named Hannahan, Godert, Donald (<-- the OF maybe?) are not expected to be part of the 2013 tribe. Canzler and Anderson could be jotted at the end of that list too IMO. Also if you think Aviles has everyday SS ability Acab is now for sale.

Kinda funny, our best 2012 pick-up, an in-season cash deal for a DFA"d player turns into one of the better off-season moves in recent history... Holding my breath though, Lowe's signing was a "good" start last year but we saw where it went from there...

I don't think this move affects Donald that much. He's not really viewed as a SS, more a 2B, 3B, OFer. Do think this means Hanny could be gone (unless Asdrubal is dealt). Do think this also eliminates Goedart too, though not sure he was every really of any consideration for the Tribe unfortunately.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I really meant Godert being added to the roster..He still may recieve a "temporary" one and I think he should.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:12 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I really meant Godert being added to the roster..He still may recieve a "temporary" one and I think he should.

I would like to see that too, just dont' think the Tribe was ever gonna do it....he didn't get a September call-up which was telling IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
BrianM wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

I agree about Haley's arm. I've always been surprised how quickly he was written off by IPI (he was completely off the top 50 a year or two ago) -- Haley has all the tools, and Tony often ranked very mediocre arms ahead of him in recent years.

Haley's got a pitcher's frame and generates excellent arm speed. There's a lot of those types that never make it, but there's a ton to like. It's really disappointing the Indians haven't gotten through to him. The Indians have no track record developing those kind of guys -- I wonder if he'd be developed by another (better) organization that he'd be more of a prospect, but that's just conjecture.

If at some point things click with Haley, he's got a very good upside as a front of the rotation kind of pitcher and I agree with Rocky that he shouldn't be limited by the bullpen at this point in his career. Had Haley gone to Rice out of HS, he'd be a year out of college and many of us would be clamoring about this very talented, high velocity speculative arm that the Indians took in the 4th/5th round or so. He's had struggles and has clear warning signs (command is poor) but Haley is 22 years old and very talented. Maybe a 5% chance he reaches his upside, but he shouldn't be overlooked.

Regarding the Indians minor league arms, the position prospects wouldn't have that much better of a showing. It's a major problem that needs to be addressed in one way or another.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:29 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Hyun-jin Ryu <=== could be the "patch" to keep Shin-soo Choo with the Indians while acquiring a talent left handed starter that is about to be posted..

Here's a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hXgYXhL3d4

nice movement on his pitches.. the view from behind on the high FB strike shows the ball explodes out of his hand.. nice control too.. even the pitches that missed were close enough that ML'ers would be swinging at..

Anyone else see this candidate as "interesting"?? The Indians could possibly pay him 600,000,000 won per year ($630K) !..

I like him. That last pitch hit 148 on the radar gun!
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby BrianM » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Another top 50 free agent article from rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/4 ... gents?pg=3

Couple interesting tidbits...

35. Ichiro Suzuki (OF Yankees - Age 39 - Prev. #57): Ichiro finally got it together in the final two months, hitting .332 in 196 at-bats in his best stretch of play since 2009. He enjoyed his time in the Bronx and he's hoping to stay put, but it's hard to imagine the Yankees will be content to have both he and Brett Gardner starting in the outfield next year. If Ichiro is willing to except a lesser role, it'd be a different story. However, to have any shot at getting to 3,000 hits (he's at 2,606 right now), he really needs to spend a couple of more years as some team's primary leadoff hitter.

28. Cody Ross (OF Red Sox - Age 32 - Prev. #32): Ross settled for $3 million last winter, but he found himself in the perfect situation with the Red Sox and now he seems likely to land a nice three-year deal as a result. Still, Ross remains a glorified platoon player, with most of his production coming against lefties: he's a career .253/.312/.415 hitter against righties. Last year, 12 of his 22 homers came in his 132 at-bats versus southpaws. He also hit .298/.356/.565 in Fenway, compared to .232/.294/.390 on the road. It'd be a bad idea to give him the $18 million-$21 million he may command.

They also have Drew at number 21, which means the SS market really is that thin, and they had a Japanese closer ranked pretty high. They speculate he will be a setup man with a contender for 3-5 mil a year, but it expands the closer market if someone wants to give him a shot at closing right away.

I had liked the Cody Ross idea before, but this info makes me a little skeptical. I didn't think we had a shot at Ichiro, and really still don't think there is much of a chance, but if he really wants to get 3,000, and the indians tell him he can lead off and give him a two year deal with an option, maybe...
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:48 am

homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ironmike » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am

Tony says, Rogers can easily be replaced? By who? If so, why the hell wasn't the guy on our staff last year?

It won't be easy replacing Rogers.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:22 am

ironmike wrote:Tony says, Rogers can easily be replaced? By who? If so, why the hell wasn't the guy on our staff last year?

When you don't want to see or hear something.. it's virtually impossible to see or hear..

-Nick Hagadone.. was on the staff last year./ and is primed to be in the pen in 2013... that's one..

-Scotty Barnes.. was on the staff last year.. and is primed to be in the pen in 2013... that's two.. (he may also get some starts)

-David Huff.. was on the staff last year.. and is primed to be in the pen in 2013... that's three.. (he may also get some starts)

-Rafael Perez.. was on the staff last year.. and is primed to return to the pen in 2013.. that's four..

Shall I go on?..& these are the guys who are actually on the staff already. There are several others who can replace Esmil "Cy" Rogers.. If your reasoning is so flawed that you have to make up a lie to convince yourself as well as others, you should give it up and go back to becoming a Curling Fan... smh..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:28 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's a list of FA predictions... http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... 1y6omWEM/1

Colon just signed with Oakland for 3 million for 1 year that can reach up to 5 million.

It predicted Colon to Cleveland for 1 million. No thanks. Even for a million.

It also predicts Kevin Youkilis will fetch 30 million over 3 years. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass. No way no how. Just no.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:31 am

ironmike wrote:Tony says, Rogers can easily be replaced? By who? If so, why the hell wasn't the guy on our staff last year?

The fact that Rogers NEVER performed well before reaching Cleveland leads me to believe he will have trouble duplicating his season after being bought for 150K. He was a worthy risk that paid off. End of story.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 am

Per ESPN, Mo Rivera told the Yankees he'll pitch next year.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Here's another interesting FA prediction... http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -1.4185073
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:38 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's another interesting FA prediction... http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -1.4185073

I would be for Melky Cabrera at a cheap rate. Decent reward but pretty big risk. If Scott Hairston could actually be had for 6 million over 2 years them the Indians need to make it happen.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors