RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2012 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2012 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Probably. Just a quick question, can both wild card teams come out of the same division?

Anyway, will be a tough race between us, Detroit, Boston, Oakland (I think they'll fade), Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa. I think that second WC spot will go to the AL East.

I believe they can both be from same division.
Kinda funny if in the last year of being a 4 team group, both AL wild cards would come from the west.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I have to think Accardo's time in the Tribe bullpen is coming to a close.
As Raffey Perez is about to return, either Accardo is moved to open a spot, or Allen gets sent back down (possible but unlikely), Sipp gets sent down (highly unlikely, they prefer having 2 lefties) or someone else is dealt away to open a spot (always a chance).

Of the possible options, I believe Accardo is outbound.

Well we shall see, looks like Raffy Perez was shut down again with shoulder fatigue, per Jordan Bastian on The Twitter
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:I have to think Accardo's time in the Tribe bullpen is coming to a close.
As Raffey Perez is about to return, either Accardo is moved to open a spot, or Allen gets sent back down (possible but unlikely), Sipp gets sent down (highly unlikely, they prefer having 2 lefties) or someone else is dealt away to open a spot (always a chance).

Well we shall see, looks like Raffy Perez was shut down again with shoulder fatigue, per Jordan Bastian on The Twitter

I'm not a twitter person. Was Jordan's tweet before or after his report yesterday that Perez was scheduled for rest on Thursday the Tribe was trying to determine the next step- either pitching multiple days in a row or entering in the middle of an inning.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Well, Raffy has been shut down for 4-5 days with shoulder fatigue! So, may not have a decision to make for a while!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:22 pm

As we all know... Man does Choo have one hell of an arm. That was a tightrope from the wall.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Well guys - after a stinko Sunday to go with a stinko Saturday and Friday - the silence on the board speaks volumes. Stick a fork in 2012. The sooner we move onto releasing Lowe and Damon and demoting Tomlin the better. We are wasting their appearance times.

Every AB Damon gets or IP Lowe gets detracts from the development of someone who might help us next year.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 pm

I realize there is an off day Monday but I doubt there will be many moves made (although I would like to see it).

My gut is any moves (outside of trades being completed) would happen when then team gets back from this current disaster of a road trip.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:53 pm

The fact that, hot on the heels of our mindblowing acquisition of Brent Lillibridge, we are choosing not to skip the least- likely-to-win-the-Cy-Young-in-the-history-of-pitching Derek Lowe speaks volumes about this management's commitmennt (or lack thereof) to winning...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:The fact that, hot on the heels of our mindblowing acquisition of Brent Lillibridge, we are choosing not to skip the least- likely-to-win-the-Cy-Young-in-the-history-of-pitching Derek Lowe speaks volumes about this management's commitmennt (or lack thereof) to winning...

Unlike any of the 3 pitchers that pitched in Minnesota, Lowe at least had a quality start last time out (6 innings, only 3 earned runs). With McAllister going 117 pitches, an extra day for him isn't a bad idea. Not skipping Lowe has nothing to do with the level of commitment from management.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Will this be Lowe's last start as an Indian? After three hitters - stinking out the house. I would rather watch a rookie with upside get hit than suffer this. Lowe IMO is done.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm

I trust following tonight's game Lowe will be DFA. He is done!

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Well - stick a fork in another one.
Does management even care?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Hermie- giving McAllister an extra day of rest is fine. The point isn't that Zack needs rest, but rather that Lowe should be skipped...forever.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Hermie- giving McAllister an extra day of rest is fine. The point isn't that Zack needs rest, but rather that Lowe should be skipped...forever.

Forever and ever Amen!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 pm

And perhaps the management IS committed to winning, which makes the only alternative conclusion being that they are stupid...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:01 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:And perhaps the management IS committed to winning, which makes the only alternative conclusion being that they are stupid...

Kotchman, Damon. Lowe and Hannahan in August? Hopefully tonight is the message that forces management to give a crap about the fans. If we have to watch this pain - get rid of guys who will never be here next year.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:55 pm

Choo must be disappointed he was not traded. 4ks tonight. I hope Boras is happy.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:45 am

I really hope the tribe was trying to move Lopez before the deadline - I rather see Goedert now. At 3B, OF and DH. Time to see if he can be at least a part time option for Hafner (no longer PRONK) next year. Plus, he can log some time at 3B and in the OF when needed. Fedroff should replace Damon NOW. Look at his AAA numbers, he needs a look and I will argue both Goedert and Fedroff gives you as much (I believe more) a chance to win games as Lopez and Damon do starting tomorrow.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 am

criznit2009 wrote:I really hope the tribe was trying to move Lopez before the deadline - I rather see Goedert now. At 3B, OF and DH.

Considering the Yankees got a better player in Casey McGehee and it only cost them a relief pitcher they were going to release, I don't think there was any market left for Lopez... and the return would have been someone of waiver wire quality. The Jose Lopezes of the world can still be traded at any time, or waived... either way they're never going to get even a fringe prospect for him.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 am

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I really hope the tribe was trying to move Lopez before the deadline - I rather see Goedert now. At 3B, OF and DH.

Considering the Yankees got a better player in Casey McGehee and it only cost them a relief pitcher they were going to release, I don't think there was any market left for Lopez... and the return would have been someone of waiver wire quality. The Jose Lopezes of the world can still be traded at any time, or waived... either way they're never going to get even a fringe prospect for him.

I figured if they did move him it would be as part of a bigger package or a ptbnl/cash consideration deal.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:

Agree with you though I would have said the same about Eduardo Perez and Austin Kearns. Lopez has been so bad though this year....I was surprised when the Yanks reportedly showed interest. Could have understood Hannahan as he's better defensively and having the better year, but Lopez? Agree that they got a better player in McGehee.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Hermie- giving McAllister an extra day of rest is fine. The point isn't that Zack needs rest, but rather that Lowe should be skipped...forever.

Problem is the rotation is beyond terrible. Lost 2 games in Minnesota with Masteron and Ubaldo pitching. Tomlin out of the rotation. Huff stinking in AAA. Gomez struggling in AAA. McAllister can't pitch 7 days a week.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby timdav » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:51 pm

And until the Indians greatly upgrade the success of the player development system, and make better, more successful trades and free agent signings, nothing will really change too much.

Nobody expects them to be perfect. It truly is an inexact science. But, they have to get better. Or, expect declining attendance and revenue streams. THAT will catch attention of the Dolans if nothing else.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Hafner on the Paternity List. Rottino called up from AAA.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm

It will be interesting to see how they call up Kluber to start on Thursday's start.
The options are DFA to Lowe or sending out Tomlin/ Accardo to AAA. Personally I'd prefer to see if Tomlin can regain his starting form in CBus cause our starting depth is rather thin.

Then again, if Tomlin stays in the bullpen, it means there is a spot in CBus so that someone from Akron can get a late season promotion. Is Soto or House ready for the move up???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:It will be interesting to see how they call up Kluber to start on Thursday's start.
The options are DFA to Lowe or sending out Tomlin/ Accardo to AAA. Personally I'd prefer to see if Tomlin can regain his starting form in CBus cause our starting depth is rather thin.

Then again, if Tomlin stays in the bullpen, it means there is a spot in CBus so that someone from Akron can get a late season promotion. Is Soto or House ready for the move up???

Id say Wright is the one they should call up - um oh wait nevermind....

Things look really bleak for the ML team right now, seriously who should I fault for it? I mean according to some of the posters its not Antonetti's or anyone else in the F.O's fault . Its' defenitiely not Dolan's fault.. I guess it must be the baseball boogeyman's fault that about half our line up stinks at the plate. Also - DUNCAN over DAMON and LOPEZ..

Seriously no more god damn Damon - I have had enough!!! And Lopez with his OBP hovering around .250 - how is that acceptable!!!!!!
Last edited by criznit2009 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Id say Wright is the one they should call up - um oh wait nevermind....

You're kidding, right?!

You don't genuinely believe Wright would've/should've been the next cab off the rank if he was still here?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Id say Wright is the one they should call up - um oh wait nevermind....

You're kidding, right?!

You don't genuinely believe Wright would've/should've been the next cab off the rank if he was still here?

I meant the next pitcher (starting pitcher anyway) from Akron to be called up to Cbus.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Seriously no more god damn Damon - I have had enough!!! And Lopez with his OBP hovering around .250 - how is that acceptable!!!!!!

I really hope the Tribe does not just DFA/cut Damon here. From May 30th thru July 31st he nearly outhit Asdrubal Cabrera (OPS was .001 lower). He makes virtually nothing (owed less than $1M). He's a guy that a team could look to grab here in August. Thome is on the DL in Baltimore (Lew Ford is now starting for them). TB could look to grab him (Damon was very big for them in September last year). While I''d like to see some young guys get some ABs too, think you can get something out of Damon. Maybe it's only a Pavno or Byrd like return (Yohan Pino or Mickey Hall)....or maybe it's an Eduardo Perez or Austin Kearns like return (Asdrubal or McAllister). Gotta at least try and get something for him IMO. Makes a quarter of what Lowe was making from us and got better from the start of the season (not epicly worse).

I agree on Lopez though. I guess try and move him too but you DFAed him once and no one wanted him so think it's just time to move on there too.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Seriously no more god damn Damon - I have had enough!!! And Lopez with his OBP hovering around .250 - how is that acceptable!!!!!!

I really hope the Tribe does not just DFA/cut Damon here. From May 30th thru July 31st he nearly outhit Asdrubal Cabrera (OPS was .001 lower). He makes virtually nothing (owed less than $1M). He's a guy that a team could look to grab here in August. Thome is on the DL in Baltimore (Lew Ford is now starting for them). TB could look to grab him (Damon was very big for them in September last year). While I''d like to see some young guys get some ABs too, think you can get something out of Damon. Maybe it's only a Pavno or Byrd like return (Yohan Pino or Mickey Hall)....or maybe it's an Eduardo Perez or Austin Kearns like return (Asdrubal or McAllister). Gotta at least try and get something for him IMO. Makes a quarter of what Lowe was making from us and got better from the start of the season (not epicly worse).

I agree on Lopez though. I guess try and move him too but you DFAed him once and no one wanted him so think it's just time to move on there too.

Typical Hermie number skewing..... Overall his June numbers were ok. His July numbers were awful, only 2 XBH no homers, 2 RB1's and his May numbers sucked too. Acab had an awful July no doubt, but his May numbers (the month you left out to balance your math) were much, much better then Damon's. His June numbers were much better his .871 OPS vs. Damon's .763. Only in July did Damon have a slightly better month and his OPS was a whopping .616. Using the numbers of a slumping team mate to validate the stats of another is a sure-fire way to finish in last place. I think its pretty clear who is a has been the better performer at the plate. Someone might be interested in Damon for cash or possibly a fringy guy later but that is not my point. My point is I think Duncan and Fedroff give this team more of a chance win games NOW and Damon doesnt really do much of anything to help this team win.

One more thing From June 1st to July 31 Cabrera OPS was .049 better not .001. Please explain how to came to the only .001 difference between Acab and Damon, perhaps my math is wrong.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Typical Hermie skewing is correct, it makes him feel powerful and gives him reason to look the other way instead of the bottom line.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Eh... it's all about what you can expect going forward. It's not entirely delusional to suggest that maybe the Johnny Damon of the last two months is more or less what you can expect. He's an okay hitter just using that sample size. He's not a good enough hitter, though, to overcome his defensive limitations. Even just going by those two months, he's still poor at getting on base.

If we're waving the white flag, I'd rather see Fedroff take his spot.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm

This guy's getting klubered out there.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:28 pm

This Kluber guy has no control whatsoever....he's a thrower, not a pitcher...what's he doing up here?

What the hell happened to this team? They beat Verlander in comeback fashion and are TOTAL crap since

Thank god for Lars Anderson :lol
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Lol and another HR, 5-0 in the 1st...game over :exclaim
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Tondo wrote:Lol and another HR, 5-0 in the 1st...game over :exclaim

At least the tribe is showing some life after that 1st inning disaster. 6-4 and Chen has been replaced in the top of the 3rd.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Tondo wrote:This Kluber guy has no control whatsoever....he's a thrower, not a pitcher...what's he doing up here?

What the hell happened to this team? They beat Verlander in comeback fashion and are TOTAL crap since

Thank god for Lars Anderson :lol

Speaking of Squirrelander, look up his first ML game. I remember it well. I know that you're not a reactionary so lets give Kluber a little time.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm

After the first inning, when Kluber was putting the ball on the fat part of the plate with regularity, he settled and was able to get into the fifth inning.. It appeared that he was going with only fastballs and got hammered... Perhaps he won't do that in his next start...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:05 pm

In case anyone is interested, todays (8/3) game between the Tigers and the Indians is the FREE one MLB.TV

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 pm

For the first time in my life, it seems possible that the Indians may never win another game... what a week...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 pm

criznit2009 wrote:In case anyone is interested, todays (8/3) game between the Tigers and the Indians is the FREE one MLB.TV

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp

Thanks.

And I notice Kipnis is batting leadoff tonight, Choo 3rd. Maybe just an attempt to get Kip back on track since it seemed to work for Choo. But I think Kip, Cabrera, Choo as 1-2-3 just makes more sense for next year. Kipnis has become our best stolen base threat and Choo the better slugger. And a big chance for Zeke to start impressing the brass tonight. If his hot hitting in AAA can carry over to Cleveland, he could also be a leadoff candidate for next year and allow us to focus on a bat at 1B. I know that's a big "IF", but at least he's getting the chance. That's what the rest of this season should be about(once again)...evaluating our farm talent at the big league level. Starting now, rather than Sept., should give us a better idea about some of these players. Maybe one of two more are called up soon.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Don't know if anyone else caught the pregame radio show tonight, but Acta praised Damon's professionalism (can't comment either way) and announced that Sundays starter will be Chris Seddon.

I nearly drove off the road with the pitching announcement. IMHO I would have called up Gomez or tossed the SPOT start to Tomlin. Once Bob is ready and able to pitch after the suspension, either the former Lowe spot (most likely) or Kluber's spot will go to him. Can't understand why they would make extra 40 man roster moves.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 pm

There is nothing wrong with this team that getting 25 new players wouldn't cure...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:26 am

MadThinker88 wrote:Don't know if anyone else caught the pregame radio show tonight, but Acta praised Damon's professionalism (can't comment either way) and announced that Sundays starter will be Chris Seddon.

I nearly drove off the road with the pitching announcement. IMHO I would have called up Gomez or tossed the SPOT start to Tomlin. Once Bob is ready and able to pitch after the suspension, either the former Lowe spot (most likely) or Kluber's spot will go to him. Can't understand why they would make extra 40 man roster moves.

Gomez pitched last night; he can't go on Sunday. Besides, I think they want him to keep pitching in Columbus while he works on some specific things. Once they're satisfied he's ready they'll bring him back.

Seddon has had a very good year. He's not in the Tribe's future plans, but I'm happy to see a career minor leaguer rewarded for having a good season. It will be wierd seeing a left-handed starting for the Tribe, though.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter who pitches anymore, does it?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby timdav » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:58 am

I know there's no exact, totally projectable answer since you're dealing with the performance of human beings, but...just a guess....when do any of you think the Indians will get back to being a for-real, legitimate, World Series contender?

2 years, 5 years? 10 years? When do you think?

And, I don't mean some-how, some-way win the division and "anything can happen". That's pretty much a b.s., P.R./spin-type of statement we've heard for years. What it takes to win a weak division and what it takes to have a realistic shot at a ring are often 2 very different things.

So, what do you guys think? Tony? Others?
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby Chiefroy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:59 pm

timdav wrote:I know there's no exact, totally projectable answer since you're dealing with the performance of human beings, but...just a guess....when do any of you think the Indians will get back to being a for-real, legitimate, World Series contender?

2 years, 5 years? 10 years? When do you think?

And, I don't mean some-how, some-way win the division and "anything can happen". That's pretty much a b.s., P.R./spin-type of statement we've heard for years. What it takes to win a weak division and what it takes to have a realistic shot at a ring are often 2 very different things.

So, what do you guys think? Tony? Others?

When they hire me to be GM. And they better hurry up, cuz I ain't gettin' any younger.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby timdav » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Can't even get any serious opinions...LOL. Shows you how far interest has fallen of late.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:43 pm

This is like asking passengers, as the Titanic sinks beneath them, what they think of the future of cruise ships...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby timdav » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Sooner or later you've gotta stop blaming the manager and look to the person(s) who put the team together. This has been going on most of the time since 2001. Am I wrong?
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:50 pm

By no means do I put this losing streak on Acta's shoulders. Literally nothing he can do at this point.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors