RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Should the Indians be buyers or sellers ?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Should the Indians be buyers or sellers ?

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Cunningham DFA'd - he had his chance and well good luck Aaron.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Cunningham DFA'd - he had his chance and well good luck Aaron.

Last AB was a successful suicide squeeze.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chiefroy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:26 pm

We're only 3.5 games out at the moment, so I wouldn't be trading either Perez or Pestano. If they have confidence in Cody Allen, I could see Joe Smith being moved for a piece, but he sure ain't gonna bring back Allen Craig. I doubt the Cards even consider a deal involving Craig given the health issues of Berkman and Beltran. They could certainly use a bullpen guy for the 7th inning like Smith or Sipp, but I would think they'd part with Adams or Carpenter, not Craig. They really don't need much, so using Craig in a deal would be overkill.

Ruggiano's on an extended hot streak right now, but he's the Marlin's starting CF right now and playing great for (I think)minimum wage. They could see him as a starter for next season as well. His value is at a high point now and they would probably require an overpay for him. We coulda signed him to minor-league deal before the season(Houston did), but I guess we liked Aaron Cunningham.

Belt, Adams, or Carpenter could all be solutions at 1B for now and beyond the season, or they could be no better than Matt LaPorta. I really don't know.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I have no reason to believe the Indians would be interested, but for some reason Corey Hart is sticking out like a sore thumb to me as a reasonable trade target.

Must be the recockulous K:BB numbers. :eek

Still a +.800 OPS on the season (just barely) and signed through 2013.

EDIT: I should have added, "If the Indians choose to be 'buyers'"
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 pm

BrianM wrote:There are a lot of interesting and realistic trade posibilities being thrown around by everyone. Most of these proposals could leave us the opportunity to contend in a weak division this year, but also improve our chances of competing in the future.

Its been noted before that Chase Headley has also been linked to deals involving Cleveland. I really don't know what the asking price would be, but Id be willing to part with Chisenhall if they were interested. Headley is a switch hitter who has hit much better away from his home ball park the last couple years (.330 in 2011 and .279 in 2012). Time will tell if he would be an upgrade over Chiz in the long run, but for the next season and a half, I would think he would certainly be an upgrade. He is controlled for the next 5 years I believe. Josh Tomlin may also spark interest from a team in a pitchers park.

The last player worth noting is Justing Ruggiano. I mentioned him in a post earlier, and stand by my belief that he could be an upgrade in LF right now. He's a 30 year old who never really cut it with Tampa Bay early in his career, but has flourished in his opportunity with Miami this year. In 116 ABs hes got 7 HR and is batting .362 and .417 in 48 AB against LHP. He may just be on a hot streak, but he may be one of those guys who has finally figured it out. Miami is having a fire sale, and Ruggiano should be cheap. No matter what his production be for the rest of the year, you would have to think he is worth the gamble.

Sounds like the Padres are asking for a ton for Headley. Still a guy I'd love to get, but wouldn't go too crazy on him. His road stats are very good though but the track record as an overall hitter is just not good enough IMO to give up a guy like Lindor (fear that's what they may be asking for but maybe I'm way off here). If we can get him without giving up Lindor though, count me in (maybe see if they'd throw in a guy like Denforia too).

Ruggiano is a guy I would be on board with...but there have been reports that the Marlins have no interest in dealing him. Not a free agent til like 2017 or something and makes the league min so not much incentive to deal him unless a team vastly overpays.

A guy I'd throw out there that I haven't seen mentioned (though maybe he has?) is Hunter Pence. Shane Victorino is a guy I've seen mentioned but some reports are saying the Phillies are trying to deal Pence as well. The Tribe had interest last year so could again. For what it's worth...here are Pence's numbers compared to Headley's (who the Tribe also has shown interst in obviously):

Chase Headley: 98 games, 362 AB, 21 doubles, 11 HR, 50 RBI, 10 SB, .268 AVG, .361 OBP, .423 SLG, .784 OPS

Hunter Pence: 97 games, 384 AB, 15 doubles, 17 HR, 58 RBI, 4 SB, .268 AVG, .336 OBP, .451 SLG, .786 OPS

Pence makes way more and only has 1.5 years left (Headley has 2.5) before free agency as well (so asking price/demand may be less for him). He's not putting up 'amazing' numbers so a guy I think you definitely need to check in on if you're the Tribe.

And staying with Philly...sounds like the asking price may not be too bad for Victorino either...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:I have no reason to believe the Indians would be interested, but for some reason Corey Hart is sticking out like a sore thumb to me as a reasonable trade target.

Must be the recockulous K:BB numbers. :eek

Still a +.800 OPS on the season (just barely) and signed through 2013.

EDIT: I should have added, "If the Indians choose to be 'buyers'"

He's a guy that would be a good fit for the Tribe....can replace Damon/Duncan in LF/crazy beard.

A guy that would fit at least in terms of bat would be Aramis Ramirez. Not a fan of his defense at 3B but livable there, could move to 1B/DH too. Big issue (and probably why the Brewers are open to moving him) is that his contract is very backloaded with $10M in 2013 (not bad) and $16M coming to him in 2014, plus a mutual option for 2015. Having a solid year but age is getitng up there. Maybe you can get the Brewers to throw some money in though (for 2014).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors