RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

How'd the A's get so good & why not us?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

How'd the A's get so good & why not us?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

As I wake up this morning I find the A's are 51-44, and just swept the Yankees. The Indians today have the 4th worst record in the AL, and couldn't sweep the Yankees if they were spotted 2 runs a game.

How did we get to this lowly state. How did the A's get so good?
Both are in "mid-market"cities. The Indians play in what is IMO a palace. The A's play in a dump. The Indians ownership is considered "cheap" by the fans. But the A's are so cheap they made a movie about it.

The A's roster is made up mostly by what I would call "competant" ballplayers. The A's did go away from form and sign FA Yoenis Cespedes. He looks like a keeper.

Their pitching staff is comprised mostly by young, hard throwers. But Tyson Ross is the only SP drafted by the A's. The rest were obtained by trades and low level FA pickups.

Make no mistake: pitching is why the A's are where they are; and we are not.
The Indians have actually scored more runs; 416 to 362.
But the A's ERA leads the Indians 3.38 to 4.56.

So what, or who has made the difference? :question
Let's call ownership a draw. The Indians attendance may be down, but I bet in overall revenue we do better.
Billy Beane is the A's GM. Love him or hate him, he usually is able to find good players on a shoestring budget.
Also, Dan Feinstein is the A's Director of Professional Scouting. For the past six years he was Dir. of baseball operations for the Rays.

I wish the Indians could bring in front office talent from another organization. Sometimes a fresh perspective can do wonders.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: How'd the A's get so good & why not us?

Postby ironmike » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 am

Billy Beane is the reason. A superior baseball talent evalutor. None of this is rocket science.

When the Red Sox tried to hire Beane away from the A's they gave him a percentage of ownership to keep him.

Did we have any team try to steal Shapiro? Hell no, there is your answer. Our owner rewarded him with the President position for the team. Therein lies the problem with the Indians. We reward those who tore down our legacy of the 90's.

Very poor business practice and you are seeing it in the lack of measurable, successful results.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby ClevelandBlues » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 am

Oakland has not finished above .500 since 2006. They have only won one playoff series under Beane. We were a game away from the world series in 2007. When Oakland was good it had more to do with Zito-Mulder-Hudson than Beane. If we are going to emulate another organization, I would prefer Tampa to Oakland.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 am

I'm not sure that I agree that Beane is as good as IronMike says. Their drafts since taking Swisher in the 1st round has really only hit on 3 1st rounders (Weeks, Pennington, and Street). Most of their current roster were FA signing and most of them were the AAAA type guys (Sizemore, McCarthy, Gomes).

Oakland has 2 things that go for them:

1. Geography (basically SF) which helps them attract FA's
2. They play in a distinctly pitchers park in the AL. I'd say Progressive Field is more of a neutral field (leaning hitters) but a neutral park doesn't give you a "Type" of player to acquire.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Daingean, baloney!
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:48 pm

ironmike wrote:Daingean, baloney!

About what? Look down their roster and how they were acquired!!!! Beane got his rep because of a nice run from 2000-2004 with players acquired during the Sandy Alderson era (Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Giambi, Tejada.....). Just because Hollywood made a movie championing his "Money Ball" doesn't make it all true.

Note: the Indians teams of the '90s had a core either drafted earlier (Belle, Ramirez, Thome, Nagy) or guys acquired when they were prospects (S. Alomar, Bearga, Lofton) or were guys signed late in their careers after their prime (Hershiser, D.Martinez, E.Murray, T.Pena) or AAAA guys signed (Sorrento, Alvaro Espinosa). They didn't make the big splash which you champion until afterward when they acquired guys like Seitzer, R.Alomar, Williams or Fryman.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:17 am

I'd say that Oakland has made trades of players that you'd be surpised to see dealt.

Guys like Gio Gonzalez, Trevor Cahill and Andrew Bailey were pretty inexpensive and under A's control for a few more seasons. Yet, Beane saw that as creating "over value" for these guys, due to their lower cost, and making them more appealing to other teams in trade.

Looking at who he acquired, based on their BA rankings this past offseason, he got a great haul for all three of these young pitchers.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors