RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Hey Manny

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Hey Manny

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:19 pm

.. when you see Ubaldo does not have it - get him out before he tanks the game beyond hope!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:14 am

It looks like the extra days off messed up Ubaldo's complicated mechanics. This guy is like a high performance race car - very hard to keep perfectly tuned.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:30 am

Bearcatbob wrote:.. when you see Ubaldo does not have it - get him out before he tanks the game beyond hope!


Problem is our bullpen is so bad if you take the starter out early you're in for a long day regardless.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:.. when you see Ubaldo does not have it - get him out before he tanks the game beyond hope!


Problem is our bullpen is so bad if you take the starter out early you're in for a long day regardless.

Yep, that early in the game, Barnes is going to be the first guy out of the pen regardless, so did it really make a difference? I'm not sure when Barnes started warming up, but no one plans to lift the starter after two innings. The earliest you could possibly think about getting someone up in the bullpen is after the Encarnacion home run. So I think the best case scenario would have brought Barnes in a couple batters earlier, and avoided the Arencibia double. However, four of the first five batters Barnes faced reached base. The runs hurt just the same whether they're scored off Jimenez or Barnes.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm

This morning in the PD U said he knew he did not have "it" right from the start. It took 8 runs to prove it.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:This morning in the PD U said he knew he did not have "it" right from the start. It took 8 runs to prove it.

Bob


So...take your starter out after 1 batter? Or let a bullpen guy start?
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Hey Manny

Postby danh8 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 am

It's always easy for fans to say what should have been done after the fact... When I watch a game, I always write down notes throughout the game detailing what I'm thinking I would do if I were manager, and when .. I differ with Acta quite frequently, and am proven wrong ....quite frequently. He doesn't go strictly by the book to the extent that Hargrove and Wedge did ...he allows himself to make judgments outside the box based on his feel for a given situation..,and when he does he's had an unbelievably good record this year. Much better than last year comapratively. Last year he started the season like he was being fed info from a higher power and then it all fell to pieces. This year I'm seeing a manager that knows his team's weaknesses well and plays off of the teams strengths and weaknesses as well as I've seen any manager do, given the unconventional and relatively weak roster that he has.

The fact we have a winning record while having given up far more runs than we have scored is pretty much a by product of how he's successfully managed games this season. He has pretty much a team that's built to score runs only against right handed pitchers, and with a three man bullpen ..the remainder in the pen are being used to eat innings in losing causes.

Our games are basically decided through 6 innings ..if he needs to go to the bullpen before the 7th it's a tell tale sign of an impending loss and he saves Smith, Pestano, and Perez for a more advantagous opportunity. If he's going to use one of those three he tries to make sure it's in a game they can have a strong input into the outcome. If we are ahead by 1 or 2 runs or behind maybe just 1 run .. Acta maximizes our strengths and tris to minimize the impact of our weaknesses and has been quite successful at doing just that this season.

The biggest downside has been losing Tim Belcher as our pitching coach this season. Scott Radinsky's positve effectiveness hasn't been seen or felt in very many aspects...Tim Belcher had a profound impact on a number of pitchers last year, and we've seen many of them backtrack this season. Not sure exaclty why he chose to step aside as outr pitching coach, but would love to hve him back in that capacity next season, if possible ..because his loss has been felt.
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby danh8 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 am

Hermie13 wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:This morning in the PD U said he knew he did not have "it" right from the start. It took 8 runs to prove it.

Bob


So...take your starter out after 1 batter? Or let a bullpen guy start?


LOL !! This is how fan's think to manage a game ...they don;t understand, they just vent. I have a buddy who vent texts to me every game... He's never known any manager for the Indians that wasn't a complete moron. He always says what he would have done, after the fact. He was pissed a wekk or so ago because Acta didn't take McCallister out when he had a perfect game going into the 6th .. he said Acta should have known he was tired. I said his pitch count was low that wasn't the problem ..he then got pissed at me. I was confusing him with facts..
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

danh8 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:This morning in the PD U said he knew he did not have "it" right from the start. It took 8 runs to prove it.

Bob


So...take your starter out after 1 batter? Or let a bullpen guy start?


LOL !! This is how fan's think to manage a game ...they don;t understand, they just vent. I have a buddy who vent texts to me every game... He's never known any manager for the Indians that wasn't a complete moron. He always says what he would have done, after the fact. He was pissed a wekk or so ago because Acta didn't take McCallister out when he had a perfect game going into the 6th .. he said Acta should have known he was tired. I said his pitch count was low that wasn't the problem ..he then got pissed at me. I was confusing him with facts..


Well Dan I do not know. It seems like last night Many went to Pestano real quick. Leaving Ubaldo in to get bombed if he had nothing IMO is foolish. If we have no long man - that too is foolish.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:
danh8 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:This morning in the PD U said he knew he did not have "it" right from the start. It took 8 runs to prove it.

Bob


So...take your starter out after 1 batter? Or let a bullpen guy start?


LOL !! This is how fan's think to manage a game ...they don;t understand, they just vent. I have a buddy who vent texts to me every game... He's never known any manager for the Indians that wasn't a complete moron. He always says what he would have done, after the fact. He was pissed a wekk or so ago because Acta didn't take McCallister out when he had a perfect game going into the 6th .. he said Acta should have known he was tired. I said his pitch count was low that wasn't the problem ..he then got pissed at me. I was confusing him with facts..


Well Dan I do not know. It seems like last night Many went to Pestano real quick. Leaving Ubaldo in to get bombed if he had nothing IMO is foolish. If we have no long man - that too is foolish.

Bob


Both Scotty Barnes and Esmil Rogers can go more than one inning, Accardo can as well.. but, who wants to see him in a game.. in 9 of his last 10 appearances, Accardo has been in a losing game. Barnes would be considered the "long man"..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 am

H'mm - looks like Manny did not want to see how Masterson played out last night in the fifth?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:H'mm - looks like Manny did not want to see how Masterson played out last night in the fifth?


H'mmm - hey Manny - you gave this one away in the third!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Well Manny is getting smarter. He pulled the plug on Lowe after 2 1/3 - hell - only 6 runs. I trust Lowe is DFA tonight.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Hey Manny

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Well Manny is getting smarter. He pulled the plug on Lowe after 2 1/3 - hell - only 6 runs. I trust Lowe is DFA tonight.

Bob


Would be kinda dumb to DFA Lowe tonight. At least put the guy on waivers see if someone bites. Not like you need a 40-man spot tonight or tomorrow. Kluber is coming up to start and already on the 40-man. Wouldn't be a huge shocker though if he doesn't make his next start (may only have 1 left anyways with Carmona/Hernandez due back in 2 weeks).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH


Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: El Em and 1 guest

cron