Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Best MLB Teams with Lowest Team Payrolls Heading into 2012 A

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Best MLB Teams with Lowest Team Payrolls Heading into 2012 A

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Best MLB Teams with Lowest Team Payrolls Heading into 2012 All-Star Break: Fan’s Observation

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/best-mlb-t ... --mlb.html
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Best MLB Teams with Lowest Team Payrolls Heading into 20

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:20 am

Good read. The Phillies are 13 games under .500 and in last place despite a payroll of $174 million. Wow.

While the Pirates are 11 games over .500 at $64 million.

It seems like every year there's a couple of teams that either hugely overachieve or underachieve. I'm still waiting for the Tribe to be one of those overachievers.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 am

Prosecutor wrote:Good read. The Phillies are 13 games under .500 and in last place despite a payroll of $174 million. Wow.

It seems like every year there's a couple of teams that either hugely overachieve or underachieve. I'm still waiting for the Tribe to be one of those overachievers.

I'd counter that the Indians in 2011 and especially this year have overachieved. Considering the mess we have at 1B and LF (2 offensive positions) and we were in contention in September last year and are competing this year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 pm

daingean wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Good read. The Phillies are 13 games under .500 and in last place despite a payroll of $174 million. Wow.

I'd counter that the Indians in 2011 and especially this year have overachieved. Considering the mess we have at 1B and LF (2 offensive positions) and we were in contention in September last year and are competing this year.

I'd agree. In another sense, I think the Indians are very fortunate to be 44-41 considering their opponents have outscored them by 29 runs so far this year. Only the Minnesota Twins (87 runs), Kansas City Royals (41) and Baltimore Orioles (36) have worse run differentials in the AL.

The relatively famous Pythagorean equation (based on runs scored and runs allowed) suggests the Indians should be 39-46 or 40-45 (depending on how you round the numbers). Say what you will about basic statistics -- they are what they are.

The good news is that Ubaldo is looking better and I think Zach McAllister is a good arm. Also, finding a competent LF or 1B could easily help provide the Indians another win or two in the second half.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:

I'd agree. In another sense, I think the Indians are very fortunate to be 44-41 considering their opponents have outscored them by 29 runs so far this year. Only the Minnesota Twins (87 runs), Kansas City Royals (41) and Baltimore Orioles (36) have worse run differentials in the AL.

The relatively famous Pythagorean equation (based on runs scored and runs allowed) suggests the Indians should be 39-46 or 40-45 (depending on how you round the numbers). Say what you will about basic statistics -- they are what they are.

The good news is that Ubaldo is looking better and I think Zach McAllister is a good arm. Also, finding a competent LF or 1B could easily help provide the Indians another win or two in the second half.[/quote]

One thing about stats is they do not measure toughness. Toughness allows teams to win close games and the Indians have won more than their share. They just don't blow people out at the same level they get blown out. The old saying that there are 60 games you will win and 60 games you will lose...it's how you play in the other 42 that makes your season. With the Indians current configuration it is more in the range of 70 wins 70 losses and the middle 22 makes your season. They are winning a majority of those middle 22 but it probably won't be enough without better 1b and LF production.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors