RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2012 Draft Prospects

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2012 Draft Prospects

Postby daingean » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Richard Stock C Nebraska

Richard's older brother Robert was drafted by St. Louis as a C but has apparently been converted to a P. At 15, Robert was rated the #1 prospect at his age group. He graduated at 16 and enrolled at Southern Cal but disappointed. The Cards still drafted him early. Robert followed in Richard's footstep first going to USC then transferring to Nebraska.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ohioteamz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm

daingean wrote:Richard Stock C Nebraska

Richard's older brother Robert was drafted by St. Louis as a C but has apparently been converted to a P. At 15, Robert was rated the #1 prospect at his age group. He graduated at 16 and enrolled at Southern Cal but disappointed. The Cards still drafted him early. Robert followed in Richard's footstep first going to USC then transferring to Nebraska.

Their dad is a nice guy but selected a rather unusual style of hitting for the boys from a site called Setpro (Paul Nyman). Very Rotational is how I would describe the methodology, with an extreme emphasis on swinging with the body, and very little talk of the hands. Be interesting to see if Stock the Younger can swing it a little better than Stock the Elder. Maybe they abandoned that stuff with the younger son.
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Tondo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Well, a rather dull 3rd day imho...15 of the 25 selections were HS or JC and most of them won't sign, some are Top 10 round pick handcuffs

Indians pretty much drafted specs from Cali and Texas all draft with some Arkansas sprinkled in

From the College pool I think we got nice value with Sever in the 21st and Stock in the 23rd...the only LHP, Fant, in the 29th was a solid selection too and drafting Hamilton's son is a good story (and the kid had a good season, so there's some hope)...the other BP arms we drafted were rather uninspiring, especially Head in the 18th and Stokes in the 22nd...I have Dickerson flashbacks with most of them...do we really need organizational guys in the low minors right now? after this draft?

Overall I hope we sign our top 12 picks (Vick and esp. Lucas could be tough though) and 1 or 2 between Booth, Peoples and Rodriguez...from the day 3 crop 8 to 13 signings
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:08 pm

MLB.com shows we drafted Josh Lester in the 30th round...as a LH shortstop? Is that a typo or is this kid trying to reinvent the position? ha
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby elrod enchilada » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Lester is right-handed.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 pm

That Garza kid has intrigued me. I hope the Tribe doesn't break the bank to sign him but man, the numbers sure make it tempting.

As something to Tony, Jeff and other draft gurus: what are the seven guys (regardless of round/ slot) drafted that you most want to see the Indians sign???

For me, reading Garza's draft profile put him in that group of 7.
Last edited by MadThinker88 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Overall, I think we had a very nice draft. Considering the new rules, the not so great draft class and our draft position (I always hate these mid teens slots), I think Grant and his crew did very well. Especially if we can sign our top 12-15 picks to go along with a kid like Garza, I think we have a solid influx of new talent with some diamonds in the rough mixed in (I'm looking at you McClure!).

Next year will be exciting too with the new lottery system in place which we'd probably take part in.

Also, props to everyone involved in draft coverage on IPI and in this thread as well. Lots of good discussions and interesting information. We should do this again :cool
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:27 pm

So if Hammy's kid makes it to MLB can we make him the color guy when he retires?

Interested to see if DJ Brown from James Madison is recovered from whatever injury it was. Maybe a renunion with Jake Lowery would ease the transition to pro ball. A guy that big gives you hope.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 am

Good read on SR and new draft system:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/dra ... ned-cheap/
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 am

For the ESPN Insiders in the building, Keith Law said he'd slot Tyler Naquin right behind Francisco Lindor in the Indians system, with Mitch Brown right behind him.

Not too bad, I guess.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:For the ESPN Insiders in the building, Keith Law said he'd slot Tyler Naquin right behind Francisco Lindor in the Indians system, with Mitch Brown right behind him.

Not too bad, I guess.

I'd still have D. Howard in front of Naquin. His ST injury certainly makes him a bit forgotten but he is still ahead wrt to development.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 pm

daingean wrote:
Magneticnorth451 wrote:For the ESPN Insiders in the building, Keith Law said he'd slot Tyler Naquin right behind Francisco Lindor in the Indians system, with Mitch Brown right behind him.

Not too bad, I guess.

I'd still have D. Howard in front of Naquin. His ST injury certainly makes him a bit forgotten but he is still ahead wrt to development.

Agreed. Until Naquin gets on the field at least, I'd still have Lindor 1, Howard 2, Naquin 3, Brown 4..
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Does this mean that Jared Goedert is going to continue to be overlooked as a prospect even though he's raking like a madman (.395/.476/.613 at AA before being promoted to AAA where he's caught fire again) at the highest level of minor league baseball??????..

Where's the love for Jared?.... How about Chun Chen?..

It's easy to see that Francisco Lindor should retain his claim to the top spot.. but, come on !.. Tyler Naquin has to earn the spot. Hopefully he signs early and shows he's the goods..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 pm

I wouldn't put Naquin at #2, but I certainly wouldn't put Goedert there either, in fact, I wouldn't even put him in the top 10.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm not a prospects guru and know next to nothing about Naquin, but perhaps the kid is actually pretty good?

That being said, I'd like to see him play before ranking him, but Law was just doing a fun thing for Insiders, I suppose.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Going by vid & PG I'd put Baker after Lindor & Naquin with Howard/Brown 4/5 interchangeably. Baker's gonna move quick.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 pm

I really like Baker, he is a must sign. Personally, I'd rank Baker and Brown 4,5. IMO Baker has more upside than Brown and may move qkly bc of his power stuff. Nonetheless, both are very interesting arms.
Lindor.
Howard.
Naquin.
Baker.
Brown.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Going by vid & PG I'd put Baker after Lindor & Naquin with Howard/Brown 4/5 interchangeably. Baker's gonna move quick.

My only issue with putting Baker that high is there seems to be many that think he may end up only a bullpen guy, which for now would knock him down in my eyes. I agree he could move quick but quick as a starter or a 8th inning guy?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

JP_Frost wrote:I wouldn't put Naquin at #2, but I certainly wouldn't put Goedert there either, in fact, I wouldn't even put him in the top 10.

Agree on both counts. We saw Jered Head put up big numbers last year. Doesn't mean he's a top spec. Would love for Goedert to keep this up though and mash at the ML level, but as a spec...not top 10, probably not top 20.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Going by vid & PG I'd put Baker after Lindor & Naquin with Howard/Brown 4/5 interchangeably. Baker's gonna move quick.

My only issue with putting Baker that high is there seems to be many that think he may end up only a bullpen guy, which for now would knock him down in my eyes. I agree he could move quick but quick as a starter or a 8th inning guy?

It's tough to know. We have a video from 2009 where, like Rocky, I believe he looks good with a very nice, easy delivery. That is definitely not the type of delivery that suggests that he's a future bullpen arm.

There are reports from BA and PG (maybe of which are second-hand or even third info, especially at BA), and other reports on the internet that are basically just rehashes of BA's and PG's published work (its a game of telephone that may create noise and distortions). I've been reading these reports from BA for years now, and frankly many of those (especially on the draft) reports are done hastily by one or two people that write very general stuff just fill out a profile. I stopped subscribing b/c of it. "Could be a starter, but if not could work out in the bullpen" is what is said on MLB's website (still photo video of Baker). I'm like, what is that supposed to mean? You could say that about anyone. It's like they are saying things just to say something, which often happens with some of the lesser followed prospects (such as Baker at a JC)

I think it's kind of tough to know exactly what we've got with Baker. It'd be nice if there was a more recent video of him (summer/fall of '09 is quite stale), but the package looks and sounds pretty good.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm

The Braves signed their 1st Round Pick Lucas Sims under the slot value. Now Sims is a local boy down here but hopefully this gets the ball rolling:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/06/07/braves-sign-sims-to-1-65-million-bonus/
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:06 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

It's tough to know. We have a video from 2009 where, like Rocky, I believe he looks good with a very nice, easy delivery. That is definitely not the type of delivery that suggests that he's a future bullpen arm.

There are reports from BA and PG (maybe of which are second-hand or even third info, especially at BA), and other reports on the internet that are basically just rehashes of BA's and PG's published work (its a game of telephone that may create noise and distortions). I've been reading these reports from BA for years now, and frankly many of those (especially on the draft) reports are done hastily by one or two people that write very general stuff just fill out a profile. I stopped subscribing b/c of it. "Could be a starter, but if not could work out in the bullpen" is what is said on MLB's website (still photo video of Baker). I'm like, what is that supposed to mean? You could say that about anyone. It's like they are saying things just to say something, which often happens with some of the lesser followed prospects (such as Baker at a JC)

I think it's kind of tough to know exactly what we've got with Baker. It'd be nice if there was a more recent video of him (summer/fall of '09 is quite stale), but the package looks and sounds pretty good.

Fully agree with this.

Too many reports about pitchers say pitching in relief is an option. That goes for any pitcher. In the case of Baker I think it has a lot to do with him being a bit wild, but other than that I don't really see any reason to move him to the pen. He may eventually end up there, but for now I think they will try to develop him as a starter.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:30 am

A few excerpts from PG's bio on Dylan Baker:

In a game against Eastern Utah in early March:

"Baker's fastball topped out at 96mph that day, and he complimented it with two dominant breaking balls--an 86 mph slider with explosive lateral movement and a hard downer curve at 83."

"Baker had precise command of all three pitches throughout."

"His fastball has since peaked at 97 and his command has become increasingly refined with every outing."

On Baker's arsenal:

"In addition to his vastly superior stuff, Baker generates excellent deception on his pitches as he hides the ball well, making it difficult to pick up as it gets on hitters so quickly."

It then goes on to say that the only thing he really needs to work on is further refining his command & developing a changeup.

The most surprising thing about this report was the bit about deception. When I watched his vid I noticed, as has been pointed out by OB, that Baker is very long in the back of his delivery. I mean his arm is almost straight back. After I read OB's mention & having read PG's scouting report, I went back to see from where this deception could be generated. The vid is not shot from straight on, being a little on the first base side of the plate. The only thing I could see is that it looks like Baker keeps his front shoulder closed very well. As OB also noted, Baker has a very easy delivery. It's almost like those old black & white vids of those long, loose deliveries of those guys from the Thirties & Forties.

I really like this guy. He may still need to develop a change or a cutter but I don't think it's a stretch to consider him the #1 SP spec in the system. I believe that he has the talent to be a FOR starter in MLB.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:28 am

Can't say I disagree with rankings, but it says a lot that the top 5 are from the last two draft classes. A supplemental first usually is around 6-9, let alone 2nd and 5th round puck being considered for top 5.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:54 am

petes999 wrote:Can't say I disagree with rankings, but it says a lot that the top 5 are from the last two draft classes. A supplemental first usually is around 6-9, let alone 2nd and 5th round puck being considered for top 5.

Last year we graduated our Chiz, Kipnis, and Hagadone to the ML's (3 top 10 guys) and traded Pom and White (2 more top 10 guys). The year before it was Santana. That's the way the system is supposed to work (graduating guys or using them to acquire now help). Kip, Hagadone and Santana look to be mainstays in our line-up. Guys like Chiz, Phelps, and LaPorta are still trying to establish themselves and the jury is still out on them. But getting 4 key cogs from your system in the last 2 years is great (should be 5 w/Ubaldo but not sure he's a key cog right now). Prospects often fade. All of that opened up a lot of top 10 slots for draft picks.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 am

daingean wrote:
petes999 wrote:Can't say I disagree with rankings, but it says a lot that the top 5 are from the last two draft classes. A supplemental first usually is around 6-9, let alone 2nd and 5th round puck being considered for top 5.

Last year we graduated our Chiz, Kipnis, and Hagadone to the ML's (3 top 10 guys) and traded Pom and White (2 more top 10 guys). The year before it was Santana. That's the way the system is supposed to work (graduating guys or using them to acquire now help). Kip, Hagadone and Santana look to be mainstays in our line-up. Guys like Chiz, Phelps, and LaPorta are still trying to establish themselves and the jury is still out on them. But getting 4 key cogs from your system in the last 2 years is great (should be 5 w/Ubaldo but not sure he's a key cog right now). Prospects often fade. All of that opened up a lot of top 10 slots for draft picks.

In addition, there are six guys drafted by the Indians at AAA Columbus who are either knocking at the door or getting close to it: Jared Goedert, Tim Fredroff, David Huff, Cody Allen, Chen-chang Lee, & T.J. McFarland. These six guys have earned a stay in Cleveland for a short stay (Huff) or may contribute in the next 16 months. The depth of the Indians farm system isn't filled with "high impact" players as much as "lunch pail" players who just get the job done. This philosophy is evident in the selection of Tyler Naquin.. He's not exactly an impact kind of player.. He's more of a dirt bag/jason kipnis kind of player. The St Louis Cardinals, the Indians next opponent, have a team FULL of these guys.. and they win..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am

Rocky55 wrote:A few excerpts from PG's bio on Dylan Baker:

In a game against Eastern Utah in early March:

"Baker's fastball topped out at 96mph that day, and he complimented it with two dominant breaking balls--an 86 mph slider with explosive lateral movement and a hard downer curve at 83."

"Baker had precise command of all three pitches throughout."

"His fastball has since peaked at 97 and his command has become increasingly refined with every outing."

On Baker's arsenal:

"In addition to his vastly superior stuff, Baker generates excellent deception on his pitches as he hides the ball well, making it difficult to pick up as it gets on hitters so quickly."

It then goes on to say that the only thing he really needs to work on is further refining his command & developing a changeup.

The most surprising thing about this report was the bit about deception. When I watched his vid I noticed, as has been pointed out by OB, that Baker is very long in the back of his delivery. I mean his arm is almost straight back. After I read OB's mention & having read PG's scouting report, I went back to see from where this deception could be generated. The vid is not shot from straight on, being a little on the first base side of the plate. The only thing I could see is that it looks like Baker keeps his front shoulder closed very well. As OB also noted, Baker has a very easy delivery. It's almost like those old black & white vids of those long, loose deliveries of those guys from the Thirties & Forties.

I really like this guy. He may still need to develop a change or a cutter but I don't think it's a stretch to consider him the #1 SP spec in the system. I believe that he has the talent to be a FOR starter in MLB.

Rocky, that is just what I was thinking when I read that PG write-up (regarding the deception). Maybe the angle of the video itself is deceiving and the batter doesn't get a long, clean look at the ball during delivery. I'm inclined to believe that since the video is from '09 that his arm stroke in the back has been modified to help improve deception, but it's tough to tell. Regardless, PG does a good job and I think their report on Baker holds weight.

It's possible that Baker and/or McClure end up being the highest impact players from this draft. Hopefully the Naquin deal was somewhat pre-packaged (I know there are rules against this but it still happens) and is quite a bit under slot to make room for those two.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Rocky55 wrote:It then goes on to say that the only thing he really needs to work on is further refining his command & developing a changeup.

Those are two pretty big things to work on though. Command and developing a changeup are some of the hardest things for a young pitcher....the difference between a starter and a reliever in most cases, which is why IMO there are some strong reports that he could end up a bullpen guy and moved fast. Think you gotta try him as a starter though as we have so many bullpen options between the bigs, AAA, and AA. Maybe he moves fast as a starter too...seems pretty advanved so maybe can move like Alex White did.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:34 pm

If the Tribe signs Baker for $200k $(36k) under slot as is rumored, the Tribe has gotten an absolute steal. I was honestly expecting $500 k.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby petes999 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
daingean wrote:

In addition, there are six guys drafted by the Indians at AAA Columbus who are either knocking at the door or getting close to it: Jared Goedert, Tim Fredroff, David Huff, Cody Allen, Chen-chang Lee, & T.J. McFarland. These six guys have earned a stay in Cleveland for a short stay (Huff) or may contribute in the next 16 months. The depth of the Indians farm system isn't filled with "high impact" players as much as "lunch pail" players who just get the job done. This philosophy is evident in the selection of Tyler Naquin.. He's not exactly an impact kind of player.. He's more of a dirt bag/jason kipnis kind of player. The St Louis Cardinals, the Indians next opponent, have a team FULL of these guys.. and they win..

Technically, that is not how it is suppose to work, having such a large hole between graduates and next wave. It should be one wave after another. You can say we traded white and Pom, yet they would have been on our ml team this year instead of Jiminez and a reliever (for White). Saying we just had a ton of graduates makes us feel good but wanting a NY system where you have both draft and Latin signees to even out the waves of talents, so someone is always ready. It also kind of shows you a deep system means nothing if you go safe route on college payers without enough upside potential to be a top flight prospect. Great we can draft a ton of relievers but we haven't taken the risks on upside like Avilies or Baker in middle 4-9 rounds until last coupe years to have a few of several risks break out and be that top flight prospect this year to use as a trading chip or fill in at LF or DH. A weak system would put a top non-first draftee in 4-8 slot for a system, not in 2-5 slot. And, of Jg, Tf, DH, Tj list at AAA, who in that group will be more than a back-up/middle reliever ... Maybe Allen? Lunch pail is fine if it means Thome or Sizemore type of hard workers ... Not a Ducanesse type person with limited upside.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Looking ahead to 2013, I'm trying to think of some top, legit college prospects and it's pretty difficult. Karsten Whitson and Auston Wilson are the highest profile names being top HS prospects, but I saw Whitson this year and thought he's regressed quite a bit (his numbers show it, too) and while Wilson's power tools are very impressive, can the guy hit? There's big questions on both of those guys. I'm assuming that Ryne Stanek of Arkansas is one of the top guys, but he's not a knock-out.

There's about a dozen or so college sophomores that come to mind, but I've got reservations with a lot of them. You can poke some serious holes in a lot of the top college sophomore prospects. MLB really plucked the heck out of the talent from college ball b/c the cubbard is kind of bare at the top.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm

I think Bobby Wahl is draft eligible. Can't say I have followed his college career at all.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:57 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think Bobby Wahl is draft eligible. Can't say I have followed his college career at all.

Yeah, he is eligible and is looking like a first rounder. He had a game televised on ESPNU this year and I thought he looked a bit underwhelming. I think he's surely a talented pitcher, but he topped out at 91 in that game (as a starter), and I believe the readings on the gun b/c everyone else looked right. As a reliever, I saw him in the Cape League game last summer and he was higher around 94,95 (tops), but that was in a short burst. Good pitching prospect, but not a front of the rotation type.

Also, there was some talk about Lewis Brinson on this board last week. I heard Goldstein/Parks talking about him on their podcast and they both thought his "hit" tool was not much above a 20 on the 20-to-80 scale. They couldnt think of another player that looked so bad at hitting in HS to make the majors.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Looking ahead to 2013, I'm trying to think of some top, legit college prospects and it's pretty difficult. Karsten Whitson and Auston Wilson are the highest profile names being top HS prospects, but I saw Whitson this year and thought he's regressed quite a bit (his numbers show it, too) and while Wilson's power tools are very impressive, can the guy hit? There's big questions on both of those guys. I'm assuming that Ryne Stanek of Arkansas is one of the top guys, but he's not a knock-out.

There's about a dozen or so college sophomores that come to mind, but I've got reservations with a lot of them. You can poke some serious holes in a lot of the top college sophomore prospects. MLB really plucked the heck out of the talent from college ball b/c the cubbard is kind of bare at the top.

TeT
As for as East Cobb kids there are 2 that stand out. Terry McClure a CF prospect with all the tools and Connor Justice a SS from Cartersville. I have heard both are studs. Then there is Jacob Heyward (Jason's brother) but he's not as high of a prospect as Jason.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:46 pm

daingean wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:Looking ahead to 2013, I'm trying to think of some top, legit college prospects and it's pretty difficult. Karsten Whitson and Auston Wilson are the highest profile names being top HS prospects, but I saw Whitson this year and thought he's regressed quite a bit (his numbers show it, too) and while Wilson's power tools are very impressive, can the guy hit? There's big questions on both of those guys. I'm assuming that Ryne Stanek of Arkansas is one of the top guys, but he's not a knock-out.

TeT
As for as East Cobb kids there are 2 that stand out. Terry McClure a CF prospect with all the tools and Connor Justice a SS from Cartersville. I have heard both are studs. Then there is Jacob Heyward (Jason's brother) but he's not as high of a prospect as Jason.

Thanks, I'll get to see McClure this summer at Wrigley Field. Looking forward to it.

For those interested in the draft, today was a great day on all ESPN channels for the '13 names, and even some '14 guys. The game just got suspended but Jonathan Gray ('13 guy) of Oklahoma was real impressive. Damn. I rarely just stay in and just watch TV all day, but can't help myself.

NC State Carlos Rodon ('14) might have the best blend of stuff and polish in college baseball right now.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Cuban defector, Jorge Soler has signed a 9 year $ 30 MM contract with the Chicago Cubs.. As this is the last time an International Free Agent can be signed without the new restrictions being imposed by the new CBA (or will be imposed) the Indians may have lost out on a future RF'er that could have filled a HUGE void in the farm system. 9 years is a long time. The dollar value was at least, reasonable for a top 50 prospect..

Thoughts?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:40 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Cuban defector, Jorge Soler has signed a 9 year $ 30 MM contract with the Chicago Cubs.. As this is the last time an International Free Agent can be signed without the new restrictions being imposed by the new CBA (or will be imposed) the Indians may have lost out on a future RF'er that could have filled a HUGE void in the farm system. 9 years is a long time. The dollar value was at least, reasonable for a top 50 prospect..

Thoughts?...

Meh, I'd rather grab someone at the deadline and spend some money that way or extend Kipnis.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Cuban defector, Jorge Soler has signed a 9 year $ 30 MM contract with the Chicago Cubs.. As this is the last time an International Free Agent can be signed without the new restrictions being imposed by the new CBA (or will be imposed) the Indians may have lost out on a future RF'er that could have filled a HUGE void in the farm system. 9 years is a long time. The dollar value was at least, reasonable for a top 50 prospect..

Thoughts?...

Meh, I'd rather grab someone at the deadline and spend some money that way or extend Kipnis.

Is someone related to anyone?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

A.Zajac wrote:

Thoughts?...

$30M is very steep for a guy that may need to start in A-ball, even if it's spread out over 9 years and even if Soler is a top 50 spec (as BA pegged him pre-season). I'd have loved to have landed him, don't get me wrong, but agree with Zajac here, think we need to put the limited resources we have to a more immediate use. In less than a month the new rules for international free agents take effect, so no sense for a small market team like Cleveland to throw huge money at a guy now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 pm

I think the Cubs made a good gamble.
If Soler pans out, the new leadership will be canonized.
If Soler flames out, the new leadership will be able to say it is only money and claim the overall weakness of the club & farm requires a few well placed risks to turn the ship around b4 2016.

This is a move that while I wish Dolan et al would have tried to make, I really cant be mad they passed.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

30 million is alot of money. 30 million spread out over nine years is not alot of money - Solder could end up playing in the ML for 7 or more seasons under that deal. If he becomes a great ML player the cubs scored big time. Definitely a gamble but considering he will make a little more than 3 million per season for 9 years could be one of the best and cost friendliest contracts signed in recent history.

Dolan would never make a deal like that
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:37 pm

criznit2009 wrote:30 million is alot of money. 30 million spread out over nine years is not alot of money - Solder could end up playing in the ML for 7 or more seasons under that deal. If he becomes a great ML player the cubs scored big time. Definitely a gamble but considering he will make a little more than 3 million per season for 9 years could be one of the best and cost friendliest contracts signed in recent history.

Part of the deal being tweeted by Jon Heyman is that Soler can opt out and go to arbitration instead if he wants to when he is eligible. With that, the argument about the deal saving you money on the guy is pretty much moot.

So, if he bombs, he costs you $30m

If he doesn't he costs you probably a lot more
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 pm

You're right that does make a difference but if he opts for arby - he is obviously playing pretty damn well. Its a risk for sure but could end up being a great deal is my point. It is a gamble but if it pays - it pays HUGE.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 am

criznit2009 wrote:You're right that does make a difference but if he opts for arby - he is obviously playing pretty damn well. Its a risk for sure but could end up being a great deal is my point. It is a gamble but if it pays - it pays HUGE.

At the end of the day, it's a medium/low risk, high reward kind of transaction. It would have been a nice acquisition based on the current needs of the farm system. The thought process of when Jorge Soler became a FA and able to sign with any club (after establishing residency) appeared to fit right in with Mr Dolan and the Indians spending on new talent. The past few drafts had an average total of approximately $ 9 MM per year. With the new CBA & slotting, the Indians are slated to spend $ 4.8 MM on draftees. Adding another $ 3.3 MM (Soler's contract value), along with other IFA signings, this would have brought the total to around $ 9 MM for the 2012 signing period or right in line with the recent average spending.

Additionally, the 9 year average for some of the Indians currently on the roster include Travis Hafner 76 MM over 8 years, Grady Sizemore $ 32 MM over 7 years, Ubaldo Jimenez $ 28 MM over six years, etc.. The promulgation of the "Mr Dolan is cheap" comments have become pretty tiresome. Mr Dolan never taking such a risk is misplaced on this forum. It belongs on Cleveland.com.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 am

Maybe Soler wasn't interested in joining the Tribe. That's a possibility as well.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 am

JP_Frost wrote:Maybe Soler wasn't interested in joining the Tribe. That's a possibility as well.

+1

That is a real and distinct possibility... Chicago has a pretty large Hispanic population and several Latin/Cuban players already there. That comfort zone along with the length of the contract were no doubt key facets of Soler's decision...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 pm

criznit2009 wrote:30 million is alot of money. 30 million spread out over nine years is not alot of money - Solder could end up playing in the ML for 7 or more seasons under that deal. If he becomes a great ML player the cubs scored big time. Definitely a gamble but considering he will make a little more than 3 million per season for 9 years could be one of the best and cost friendliest contracts signed in recent history.

He could end up playing 7 or more seasons under this deal....also could end up flaming out after 2-3 MLB seasons (if he makes it). This is a high risk/high reward deal. One a big market club like Chicago can make. $30M is a lot to guarantee a kid thru his arby years, especially one that's never taken a ML swing (or heck, a minor league one at that).

Definitately a talent that would have looked great in our system, but not at that price.
Last edited by Hermie13 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TheWord » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Nelson Rodriguez is going to sign relatively soon.

His Facebook status is:

"To all my friends that came to the party I'm going to miss ya all. Now my life would change and ill be doing what I love to do the most play baseball."
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2012/06/cleveland_indians_close_to_sig.html

Looks like Naquin will sign soon. This is one good thing about the new CBA, guys are signing early. I certainly don't like much of the CBA but getting these guys in early helps. Plus it looks like Naquin is going to sign for under slot.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Looks like Mitch Brown also signed (Per @Indians and others on the Twitter)
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk