RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Instructional League thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Instructional League thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 am

http://indianstopprospects.blogspot.com ... sters.html

Interesting for sure to see Kelvin Diaz still exists. No word still if the VISA issues are cleared up, but if I am not mistaken this is his first time stateside, so maybe. Cross the fingers.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Instructional League thread

Postby utrocks84 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 am

The group of players invited sure looks like one of the more talented groups the last few years, and sooo young
utrocks84
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Yeah, Instructs is more for the young guys to get more work and a full month with the entire Indians player development staff. The older guys all go play fall/winter ball somewhere to get more innings and at bats.....while a handful of the older guys who missed time with injuries get some time in Instructs as well to make up some of the at bats and innings.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dnosco » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Tony,

Are they not having two camps like they had last year?

Interesting to see so many "veterans" even including guys like Rondon who, given his innings this year and his relatively advanced level, seems like an odd invitee. Maybe he is just there to get in some conditioning.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Denny, I am pretty sure it is setup the same way this year. With 58 players in camp and only a handful of games, there are guys there just getting in work and others there just for development purposes. A high percentage of the roster is guys are the 2007 and 2008 Draft or UDFAs. Rondon makes some sense as he is still working through some things to solidify his delivery a little bit since he gets sloppy at times with it. Also needs continued work on refining his slider and changeup, so I think he is there more for continued instruction rather than to participate in games and accrue more innings.

By the way, I liked your article on the instructional league last year. Would you mind if I posted it on the site, or you updating it and posting? Would help some of the fans get to know more about it. Lemme know. It is okay either way.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Any chance guys like Rondon are going to 'the Instructs' so the Tribe can get a better sense to cover him with a roster spot (or not)??
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:46 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Any chance guys like Rondon are going to 'the Instructs' so the Tribe can get a better sense to cover him with a roster spot (or not)??

Possibly. But, I think that a guy like Rondon is there just for the extra instruction. Also, I don't think Rondon is a slam dunk to be rostered. They may risk exposing him considering he is still pretty raw and has yet to pitch above A+.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby DAM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 am

MiLB article on Indian's instructional league:

A total of 58 players are expected to take part in the FIL. The first wave of players was due to report Wednesday night, with exhibition games beginning Monday.
The Indians are getting Miller ready to pitch in the Dominican Winter League, where he'll likely log 20-40 innings of work.

"He's doing great," Atkins said of Miller. "He recently went back to Dr. [Thomas] Graham, who performed the surgery, and he feels very confident he's well on his way to being back to 100 percent."
DAM
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks to Denny for allowing me to post the Instructs piece on the site today.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby toledobuck » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:14 am

Tony-

You show that Kelvin Diaz is attending instructs. Does this mean his visa problems are finally squared away?
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 pm

No word on Diaz's VISA status, but with him coming stateside for the first time I would say a good guess is they indeed have been finally cleared up. I'll see if I can get some clarification sometime here in the offseason when/if I get a chance to speak to someone on it before spring training.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:48 am

Ryan Morris is only taking part in the Strength and Conditioning part of the FIL, so Denny, apparently it is still setup like last year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk