RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Trade Hannahan?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Trade Hannahan?

Postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 am

It's looking more and more like the Indians will be buyers at the trade deadline if not sooner. The left field situation is still dire, with Damon continuing to be an offensive and defensive liability. Also, the Tribe is hitting only .212 against left-handed pitching, which doesn't hurt them too badly during the regular season (today they face a right-handed starter for the 11th straight game), but in a short playoff series they could be vulnerable.

Grady is due to return in mid-June or July, but his ability to be productive after all those surgeries and not having played baseball for a year is questionable, as is his ability to stay healthy if he plays every day. Even if he can, he doesn't hit left-handed pitching even at his best.

The question is who on their roster has significant trade value and could also be adequately replaced. The answer is obvious: Jack Hannahan.

Hanny is played Gold Glove caliber defense and is hitting .287 with an .801 OPS. He's been nails in the clutch with 18 RBI's in 101 AB's despite hitting in the 9 hole where there are fewer RBI opportunities. No question he could start at third base for a playoff team.

If Hannahan were traded, the Tribe could replace him with Jose Lopez, who has been fine defensively and has an eight-game hitting streak with a BA of .357 or thereabouts. It's only been a couple of years since he had 24 HR's and 96 RBI's as an everyday player, and he said he feels like he's back to where he was then. He's only 28 years old. Finally, his right-handed bat is a welcome addition to the unbalanced Tribe lineup.

In addition to Lopez we also have Lonnie Chisenhall, who's hitting .340 at Columbus.

Third base is looking like the strongest and deepest position the Indians have right now in terms of the major league roster and who is major league ready at AAA.

It looks to me like shopping Hannahan is practically a no-brainer. Whether they can find a trade partner that is in need of an upgrade at 3rd base and has an expendable outfield bat is another question.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Re: Trade Hannahan?

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

This is one of those threads that only identifies the problem. The lack of an impact RH bat, preferably an OF'er.

Sure, with the emergence of Lopey and Chisenhall chomping at the bit to make his way back to Cleveland, your posting seems to make sense. The two of these guys could be a platoon or could be the straw that stirs the drink for the Indians and their chances of contending in the AL Central for the 2012 season..

Furthermore, we all know that the Indians adore Jack Hannahan... what he brings to the table.. his fit with the club / chemistry, his relatively low salary, and, most of all, his character. These are attributes the Indians WANT ON the club.

Finding / Identifying a team that is in need of a 3B (and more) is pretty simple.. The Angels, the Reds, the Pirates, the A's, and the Dbax all seem to be in need of an elite glove man who hits like Hanny..

FWIW, the Angels seem to be the best fit. They have a glut of OF'ers (Trout, Bourjos Hunter, Wells (DL), Trumbo, Calhoun, etc) a guy hitting .240 with no power at 3B. The target from them would be Mark Trumbo.. In addition to the pop at 3B, the Angels also need an infusion of a bullpen arm Mike Scioscia can rely on close and late in games. Make no mistake, Mark Trumbo would be expensive (read: Vinnie Pestano level), but could be provide the biggest boost to the Indians chances in 2012 and beyond. The Angels have made some unusual moves to cover their bullpen woes.. The addition of Vinnie Pestano would be HUGE for them.. Big risks get big rewards...

Would you be willing to give up Vinnie Pestano and Jack Hannahan for Mark Trumbo? ( I already know Rusty Mike's response)...
btw.. With the return of Josh Tomlin & the performance of Zach McAllister, Don't discount the possibility of trading Z-mac to the Marlins for Austin Kearns.. again.. (just kidding)...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 am

Hannahan can be a piece in a trade, but certainly not the centerpiece. He's performed well, absolutely... but he still doesn't have a ton of value alone. So I wouldn't see the point of doing that unless he was a piece to a much larger trade that would net us a RH bat. In that case, then by all means, do what's necessary..
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:12 am

IMO the reasons you listed are reasons to keep him. I'm not ready to commit to Lopez after a week and a half, and there is no guarantee that Chisenhall is going to produce. And really, a team can look at last season, when he was hitting just as well early and then tanked. Bottom line is he's not going to net what we need (power hitting RH outfielder) without giving up a much more significant piece along with him.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 pm

I just don't really see Hannahan has having the trade power that would make it worthwhile to trade him......That is unless some team loses their 3B and are desperate.....wouldn't trade him to the Tiggers though (that would be the ideal situation as they want to win NOW and 3B is a defensive liability) unless we get a difference maker.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chiefroy » Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 pm

daingean wrote:I just don't really see Hannahan has having the trade power that would make it worthwhile to trade him......That is unless some team loses their 3B and are desperate.....wouldn't trade him to the Tiggers though (that would be the ideal situation as they want to win NOW and 3B is a defensive liability) unless we get a difference maker.

Miguel Cabrera is pretty smooth at 3rd base. He is not their problem.

As far as Trumbo for Pestano and Jack H., I don't make that trade. Chris Perez has been much better of late(and my current MVP for his performance and his statement to the fans), but Pestano has been just as good in his role. Let's not screw up a good thing at the back of the bullpen. We're playing good right now and have the division lead....no need to think trade right now. Lopez has been good and maybe we give LaPorta or Goedert a shot soon. Maybe Grady gets healthy or Damon starts hitting. Duncan or Cunningham need to contibute with a big hit or defensive play when they get the chance. We'll probably have a guy need a DL stint and THEN we may need a callup or need to burn a trade chip. Until then, let's not upset the applecart.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Chiefroy wrote:Miguel Cabrera is pretty smooth at 3rd base. He is not their problem.

:eek

Here's a fun Tigers fact: Through yesterday's games, the MLB batting average on ground balls was .226. Against Detroit it's .286. That's nearly 27% more grounders that are getting through the open gate they call their infield as opposed to the rest of the league.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Thu May 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
Chiefroy wrote:Miguel Cabrera is pretty smooth at 3rd base. He is not their problem.

:eek

Here's a fun Tigers fact: Through yesterday's games, the MLB batting average on ground balls was .226. Against Detroit it's .286. That's nearly 27% more grounders that are getting through the open gate they call their infield as opposed to the rest of the league.

Probably also don't help Fielder is a big boy too...
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm

If jhonny peralta aka slug/sluggo is possibly the Tiggers best DEFENSIVE infielder, it's no wonder more balls make it through the infield.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 pm

I can't see it at all. Trumbo is only 26 years old. Last year, in his first full season, he hit 29 HRs and 87 RBI. This year he's hitting .325 with a .944 OPS. This guy is a young cornerstone player. Why would they trade him for a 32-year-old 3rd baseman and a relief pitcher, especially since they're 20-25, 7 games behind Texas, and don't look like they'll be in the playoff race this year unless they really turn it around?

This guy is going to be in the middle of their lineup for years. No way they deal him for Hanny and Pestano.

I'm not looking to get a 26-year-old .300/30/100 guy. I'm looking for an older but productive player who is expendable because his production can be replaced, who's on a team that expects to contend but needs more offense and defense at 3rd base. Some names that have been brought up are Youkilis and Konerko. However, both are infielders and both are on teams that are still in contention. But if we can find an outfield equivalent of those guys that would be the target.

There may be some teams that have a productive right-handed outfielder they're willing to deal because they're not going to contend this year, but those teams would be looking for prospects, not a guy like Hannahan. That's a different thread.

Like I said, I don't know if there is a match, but if there is, I'm sure the Tribe would be willing to include a prospect, especially a relief pitcher given the number of quality relief prospects in the system.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Fri May 25, 2012 3:18 am

Trumbo is intriguing. I'd find ways to make a deal for him. Might take another team to get involved.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri May 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Hannahan has very little, if any trade value. It would have to be to a very specific need.

Trumbo might be had for some relief pitching. But not Pestano. He is one of the best setup men/future closers in baseball right now.

Buster Olney mentioned today that the Tribe might be considering Youkilis or Bryan Lahare of the Cubs. They're interesting names, but Indians need to come to resolution about LaPorta first.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 25, 2012 1:37 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Hannahan has very little, if any trade value. It would have to be to a very specific need.

Trumbo might be had for some relief pitching. But not Pestano. He is one of the best setup men/future closers in baseball right now.

Buster Olney mentioned today that the Tribe might be considering Youkilis or Bryan Lahare of the Cubs. They're interesting names, but Indians need to come to resolution about LaPorta first.

To get a big stick like Trumbo carries.. it might take a big arm like Pestano's.. A one for one wouldn't be out of the question. While I'd hate to see Vinnie in Angels Red, I'd like to see the RH hitter problem solved more. The Indians may have several better options to replace Vinnie Pestano (Chris Ray, Hector Ambriz, Frank Supe'Herrmann, Cody Allen) as a sixth/seventh inning set up man than a right handed power hitter (Goedert, LaPorta, Canzler) in the heart of the lineup..

If it means Mark Trumbo and his stat line of :.315/.378/.538 with 11 2B, 6 HR's and 34 runs produced (RBI's + Runs Scored) is coming to the Indians..then it has to be considered...or at least it should be considered...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 25, 2012 1:44 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Hannahan has very little, if any trade value. It would have to be to a very specific need.

-Youkilis is a neanderthal and clubhouse poison. Keep this over paid prima dona away from the young wahoos..
-Brian Lahair is not interesting at all.. He can't hit left handers. PERIOD.

Buster Olney is clueless... Pass on both..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chiefroy » Sun May 27, 2012 12:13 am

GeronimoSon wrote:

To get a big stick like Trumbo carries.. it might take a big arm like Pestano's.. A one for one wouldn't be out of the question. While I'd hate to see Vinnie in Angels Red, I'd like to see the RH hitter problem solved more. The Indians may have several better options to replace Vinnie Pestano (Chris Ray, Hector Ambriz, Frank Supe'Herrmann, Cody Allen) as a sixth/seventh inning set up man than a right handed power hitter (Goedert, LaPorta, Canzler) in the heart of the lineup..

If it means Mark Trumbo and his stat line of :.315/.378/.538 with 11 2B, 6 HR's and 34 runs produced (RBI's + Runs Scored) is coming to the Indians..then it has to be considered...or at least it should be considered...

If Pestano actually was our sixth/seventh inning setup guy, I'd be all for including him in a deal for Trumbo. But he's not. He's the guy that gets us to Chris Perez and he's our best option for closer if Perez can't go or becomes injured. i wouldn't trust any of the arms you mentioned to replace Pestano, with the possible exception of Ray, but he seems just as likely to go the same route(disaster) as Wheeler. Smith could be an 8th inning option, just not as good a one as Pestano, imo. I like Sipp and Hagadone where they are, matching up w/lefties. Our 8th and 9th inning guys are doing the job...and it's an important one. If we trade either of them, we'd better be fast-tracking Bryce Stowell, who looks like he may be the guy for late innings in the future.

Not that I wouldn't love to have Trumbo on this team(assuming he's even available). I just don't think we can get him without giving up Pestano + Chisenhall + someone like LaPorta or a good young arm. I think we should give LaPorta one more try and/or Goedert. Those two couldn't be any worse than what we now have at 1B and LF. Damon, Cunningham, Duncan, and Kotchman are all weak links and it won't be long(I think) until we see someone cut. I just don't want to screw up the backend of the bullpen or lose a guy like Chisenhall, especially without trying internal options.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 am

There is no way on God's earth that Laporta is not better than Damon. The statistics we all decry for Loporata are super star stuff compared to what we are getting from Duncan. The black hole Damon has been in the lineup was tolerable with the top and middle of the order working. Now - there is no middle of the order. We have gone from euphoria with our sweep of Detroit to a looming disaster in Chicago. Thankfully we get a break against KC - but man - they always play us tough.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:If it means Mark Trumbo and his stat line of :.315/.378/.538 with 11 2B, 6 HR's and 34 runs produced (RBI's + Runs Scored) is coming to the Indians..then it has to be considered...or at least it should be considered...

Technically, you should deduct HRs from that "runs produced" stat because they are counted twice if you simply add RBIs and runs together.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 28, 2012 11:53 pm

No way the Indians get Trumbo for Pestano. The Indians would have to offer a lot more.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 am

Now it's being reported that the Tribe plans to play Hannahan only 3-4 games a week from here on out. He apparently has a chronic back problem. It was an issue last year, in spring training this year, and he just missed 9 games when it flared up on him. It sounds like a bulging disk to me, especially after it got worse on the plane flight.

With Lopez providing a much needed right-handed bat and now Chiz back in town, I wonder how they're going to find playing time for all these guys once Pronk is ready.

Trading Hannahan is the logical move, IMO, but now that he's no longer considered an every day player I wonder if he has any value.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 am

TonyIPI wrote:No way the Indians get Trumbo for Pestano. The Indians would have to offer a lot more.

"More" should be considered.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 am

Prosecutor wrote:Now it's being reported that the Tribe plans to play Hannahan only 3-4 games a week from here on out. He apparently has a chronic back problem. It was an issue last year, in spring training this year, and he just missed 9 games when it flared up on him. It sounds like a bulging disk to me, especially after it got worse on the plane flight.

With Lopez providing a much needed right-handed bat and now Chiz back in town, I wonder how they're going to find playing time for all these guys once Pronk is ready.

Trading Hannahan is the logical move, IMO, but now that he's no longer considered an every day player I wonder if he has any value.

Playing or doing anything with a bad back is just torture. Hannahan may get a few starts at 1B, to ease the strain on his back. It wouldn't hurt the Indians much to have a 1B with at least a little range and a great glove manning the spot while hitting better than 2 bucks 20..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Tue May 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Even if Hannahan were healthy and playing everyday, you still wouldn't get much for him. He's a 32-year old part time player with a career OPS below .700. Sure the glove is great, but he's a platoon guy at best. I can't see the Indians getting much more than a low A fringe prospect or a PTBNL in a Hannahan deal.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 pm

TonyIPI wrote:No way the Indians get Trumbo for Pestano. The Indians would have to offer a lot more.

Pirates fans thought the same thing about Brians Giles and Rincon...

If you're an Angels/Trumbo fan you gotta like how he has picked up his walk rate this year, but there is absolutely no way he maintains that .390 BABIP of his (highest it ever was in the minors was .329). His average is gonna be in for a big drop, and likewise his OBP. Would still be a solid add for any team (not just Cleveland) but not for what the Angels would be asking IMO.

Probably a moot point as the Angels are most likely not moving him as he's just too valuable with the ability to at least play 3B, OF and 1B. Wouldn't be surprised if he's manning an OF spot full-time for them next year once Hunter is gone.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:54 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Even if Hannahan were healthy and playing everyday, you still wouldn't get much for him. He's a 32-year old part time player with a career OPS below .700. Sure the glove is great, but he's a platoon guy at best. I can't see the Indians getting much more than a low A fringe prospect or a PTBNL in a Hannahan deal.

I agree here, though the Tribe has done well in the past with trading guys that seemed worthless and still getting some solid value. Think you hold on to Hanny though for this season. This winter though he will be arby eligible for the 2nd time and may not be worth $2-2.5M or whatever he could get, so even getting only a fringy spec could be a good value.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors