RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Dereck Lowe...

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Dereck Lowe...

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 15, 2012 5:24 pm

...where would we be without him? Sometimes we get a pleasant surprise from a seemingly minor acquisition. No matter how he finishes - he has given this team a start in the right direction that hopefully we can build on.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Dereck Lowe...

Postby daingean » Tue May 15, 2012 5:50 pm

After last year, I didn't really know what we would get from him. He's always performed better in a contract year. You just don't know if last years failures were due to age or personal issues (i.e. DUI charge). I thought he'd be better than last year but didn't expect this good. Hopefully, he can keep it going.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm

he is really toying a fine line - doesn't have the stuff to over power hitters, was never much of a factor in the K department. Its a long season and love the early success, hopefully he doesnt wear down.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indians1 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:48 pm

I love what lowe has done, but if we have to depend on him as our ace, we are in trouble. For us to compete, we need ubaldo to become our ace.

Masterson can be good, but he only has one good year as a starter, just like ubaldo. There are so many unknowns with this team and unfortunately we have very little room for error.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 pm

indians1 wrote:I love what lowe has done, but if we have to depend on him as our ace, we are in trouble. For us to compete, we need ubaldo to become our ace.

Masterson can be good, but he only has one good year as a starter, just like ubaldo. There are so many unknowns with this team and unfortunately we have very little room for error.

I agree, though Ubaldo has had more than 1 good year as a starter. He was very good in 2009 and very solid in 2008 as well in addition to his 2010 Cy Young-caliber season.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby danh8 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:55 am

Bearcatbob wrote:...where would we be without him? Sometimes we get a pleasant surprise from a seemingly minor acquisition. No matter how he finishes - he has given this team a start in the right direction that hopefully we can build on.

Bob

Wow, was I wrong about this pickup. I didn't have too many kind things to say about this signing this past offseason, and I'll be the first to admit I was dead wrong on this one. I thought he was a pitcher who had hot the proverbial wall last year, and we were getting basically a guy that no longer had the ability or stamina to succeed ,especially in the AL.

But, thank God I was wrong ...this may go down as Antonetti's best move of his short tenure as our GM. Don't know where we'd be if we didn't have him in our rotation this spring, with Masterson's and Jimenez''s downward spiral ealry on, Tomlin's injury problems that are of great concern, and Fausto Carnandez's disapearance.

With all the issues that have hot our starting rotation this spring it is actuyally a minor miracle we are having success and are in 1st place.... makes you believe that if a few things begin to go our way as the season progresses, we could be positioned to shock the world later on this season ...
danh8
Rookie Baller

Re: Derek Lowe...

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 am

criznit2009 wrote:he is really toying a fine line - doesn't have the stuff to over power hitters, was never much of a factor in the K department. Its a long season and love the early success, hopefully he doesnt wear down.

I wonder if they will find a way to give him an extra day after the complete game pitch count?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am

danh8 wrote:
Wow, was I wrong about this pickup. I didn't have too many kind things to say about this signing this past offseason, and I'll be the first to admit I was dead wrong on this one. I thought he was a pitcher who had hot the proverbial wall last year, and we were getting basically a guy that no longer had the ability or stamina to succeed ,especially in the AL.

Derek's 2011 was a messed up season. I think much of his struggles had a lot to do with the DUI. His stuff (last year) was good enough to pitch but it seemed like he just lost concentration on occasions. I mean he'd be breezing through a line up for 4 innings then give up a 6 spot in the 5th. I was pleased when we got him but stated he needed close monitoring in each game. I thought he'd be good enough but didn't imagine he'd be this good.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:13 pm

daingean wrote:I thought he'd be good enough but didn't imagine he'd be this good.

I can't imagine anyone thought he'd be this good.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Fri May 18, 2012 1:09 am

danh8 wrote:With all the issues that have hot our starting rotation this spring it is actuyally a minor miracle we are having success and are in 1st place.... makes you believe that if a few things begin to go our way as the season progresses, we could be positioned to shock the world later on this season ...

That's kind of where I sit. This team has had some injury issues and lots of inconsistency from some starting pitchers and guys in the lineup, yet they are 22-16 and in 1st place. Totally different from last year when almost everything went right the first 45 games when they raced out to a 30-15 start as the offense, starting pitching and bullpen were all clicking.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 am

Like Tony says, this team has been hitting on four or five cylinders and yet is in first place, thanks to the Tigers surprisingly bad start. With Brantley, Choo, and Kotchman finally starting to hit, things are getting more interesting all the time.

Raffie Perez is starting to throw and the bullpen will get a boost when he returns. He was missed yesterday when Manny had to let Joe Smith face three lefties in a row in the 11th because he already used Sipp and Hags. Smith gave up the go-ahead run which could have cost us the game.

If Masterson gets his act together and they finally pull the plug on the Damon experiment, this could be one of the better teams in the A.L.

You wouldn't think Lowe can keep pitching this effectively all season, but he's not doing anything special. He just throws the sinker and hits his spots. I read he was throwing a lot of breaking balls last year but now he's just throwing the sinker and keeping it down. Hitters know it's coming but just can't elevate it. In his shutout of the Twins he said only 7-8 of his 127 pitches were breaking balls.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors