RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2012 Draft Prospects

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2012 Draft Prospects

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

It's too soon to know who slots where but I'm getting more hopeful that we might go HS PP with the 15th pick. I'd bet that Wacha & Beck will be the BCSPPA. I defer to OB on Wacha whom I haven't see but have personal reports on Beck that seem to indicate a future MOR SP as a pro. That's a valuable commodity, especially if your staff is on the thin side, but I'd like to get impact talent.

Looking at things as they currently stand, the impact guys that might be available at 15 seem to be HS guys, PP's in particular. If Gallo, one of the Williams boys, Seager, Winker, Barnum, Hawkins, Trahan or Russell are available, they might represent the BPA moreso than a CSP.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Rocky55 wrote:It's too soon to know who slots where but I'm getting more hopeful that we might go HS PP with the 15th pick. I'd bet that Wacha & Beck will be the BCSPPA. I defer to OB on Wacha whom I haven't see but have personal reports on Beck that seem to indicate a future MOR SP as a pro. That's a valuable commodity, especially if your staff is on the thin side, but I'd like to get impact talent.

Looking at things as they currently stand, the impact guys that might be available at 15 seem to be HS guys, PP's in particular. If Gallo, one of the Williams boys, Seager, Winker, Barnum, Hawkins, Trahan or Russell are available, they might represent the BPA moreso than a CSP.

I don't know anything about Beck, but as I said in my original post on this thread months ago, I don't think there's much of a difference between Wacha and Gausman. Both are similar pitches with similar upsides; I'd even argue that Wacha is more projectable than Gausman (Wacha's arm just moves more free and loose), but I think Gausman gets a little more velo right now.

I agree with you, Rocky, on getting impact HS talents at 15. I'm pretty impressed with the talent at the prep level this year, which offsets the college class which I think sucks. I still can't get over BA's rankings that had so many college guys at the top. There's a LOT of high school talents out there with impact tools and projection at the major league level, and BA seems to have underrated the VAST majority of them. Trey Williams at 27, Lucas Sims at 32, Addison Russell at 37, Nick Williams at 42, etc. -- I mean, if my team took like Kenny Diekroeger over all of those guys, I'd lose faith in my scouting director.

Just my two cents. I like Wacha, Gausman, Zunino and Appel (if he fell), but if I were calling the shots, I'd have my scouts hitting the high school prospects a lot this spring. I just don't see a lot of interesting college guys out there -- sure, there are some good ones, but in the early rounds, it looks like the value will be at the HS levels. Am I crazy?!?
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

OB Said: ..I agree with you, Rocky, on getting impact HS talents at 15. I'm pretty impressed with the talent at the prep level this year, which offsets the college class which I think sucks. I still can't get over BA's rankings that had so many college guys at the top. There's a LOT of high school talents out there with impact tools and projection at the major league level, and BA seems to have underrated the VAST majority of them. Trey Williams at 27, Lucas Sims at 32, Addison Russell at 37, Nick Williams at 42, etc. -- I mean, if my team took like Kenny Diekroeger over all of those guys, I'd lose faith in my scouting director..

What BA may be doing is projecting the "prospects" as they may be drafted as opposed to the talent level. With the changes to the compensation for losing free agents in the new CBA, college players will be given higher appraisals as they are less likely to become a non-signing draftee, especially for the "next to" highest picks.. That is, after the first three, four, or even five selections, the actual amount of money teams can spend on draftees plummets rapidly, thereby making the decision to honor the commitment to go to college more likely. The benefit is kids go to college, get an education, etc.. not a bad situation from a humanistic perspective, but, it certainly does feed the frenzy of baseball fans. No team drafting in five to fifteen range wants to 'waste' a pick on a high school kid that won't sign for a paltry couple of million when they can go to college, be poor for two or three years, then get drafted and sign for the same paltry couple of million.. <shrugs>..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Lucas Giolito sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow yesterday and will be out six to ten weeks: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2012/03/baseball-lucas-giolito-hurts-elbow-might-be-lost-for-season.html

I wonder how much this affects his draft status.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:37 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Lucas Giolito sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow yesterday and will be out six to ten weeks: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2012/03/baseball-lucas-giolito-hurts-elbow-might-be-lost-for-season.html

Like I said in the above comment, if it looks like a prep school player has any kind of issue that puts him out of the top four or five overall spots, coupled with the restricted budget for signing draft picks of all kinds, it could mean Giolito decides to go to college and forget about professional baseball for a while.. IDK who, if anyone, he's got a scholarship with, but whoever it is.. has to be "soft pedaling a THRILLED countenance" with this news...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 pm

He's committed to UCLA.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:20 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Lucas Giolito sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow yesterday and will be out six to ten weeks: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2012/03/baseball-lucas-giolito-hurts-elbow-might-be-lost-for-season.html

Even if he had Tommy John surgery, he'd be worth taking at 15th overall if not fully committed to college.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 am

OhioBaseball wrote:

Even if he had Tommy John surgery, he'd be worth taking at 15th overall if not fully committed to college.

+1

I could see that..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 am

Ouch. The Jeff Ellis IPI jinx. :lol
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:

Torn on this. With the new CBA limiting the money you can give, really not sure you could pull him away from a UCLA commit even if he was leaning towards going pro. I know if you then don't sign him you get a comp pick the next year...but again, with the new CBA you're limited with money so you're almost forced to go a real safe route since that comp pick won't be protected.

Guess it will depend what talent is there at 15 though. Maybe there's nothing there and the risk of getting stuck with a unprotected comp pick in 2013 is worth it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:29 pm

I can't believe that Gioloto falls to 15 even if he needs TJ. This is miles past the Adenhart situation where TJ wasn't accepted to be a pretty much "sure cure". I can't imagine any team between 2-14 that wouldn't just promise to pay for the TJ, promise to pay for college, promise him a statue, promise to name the team plane after him, whatever it took.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 am

Rocky55 wrote:I can't believe that Gioloto falls to 15 even if he needs TJ. This is miles past the Adenhart situation where TJ wasn't accepted to be a pretty much "sure cure". I can't imagine any team between 2-14 that wouldn't just promise to pay for the TJ, promise to pay for college, promise him a statue, promise to name the team plane after him, whatever it took.

I think you're right, unfortunately. He's just too talented and TJ surgery doesn't scare people the way it used to. Frankly, he doesn't even need the surgery (yet, at least). The one thing, however, that may hold scouting directors back on him is command. There's no doubt about his talent and ceiling; both are excellent, but scouts won't get the opportunity to see if he can consistently hit the catcher's glove this spring and that matters.

The guy I've had on my radar screen since last summer is LHP Max Fried. I love his arm action, his arm speed, his arm slot, looseness. The thing that will probably keep him out of the top 10 is his body; he's narrow and thin. He's always going to be thin; that upper body doesn't have much to grow into the way Kershaw was when he was in high school. Anyone can lift weights to get stronger, but your bone structure is your bone structure -- you can't change it.

Fried's got the arm action, slot, and arm length (very long) to throw a very nice curveball with very good depth. I think Fried has the stuff to be a strike out pitcher in the minor leagues, and I think at physical maturity he could be 89-93 mph comfortably. That's a good prospect.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:28 pm

There are so many routes the Indians could take in this draft and I'm pretty much fine with all of them. I'm still holding out a little bit of hope for Trey Williams as I think he could be something very special.

I really think we should atleast consider Richie Schaffer in the first round. He's putting up absolutely insane numbers at the moment and the scouting reports seem to warrant a 1st round pick. I also think he'd be an easier sign than some the HS kids and could move through the system very quickly.

Speaking of college 1st baseman, Jayce Boyd is a guy I'd target in the 2nd/3rd round if he's there.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

I have a hard time believing the Indians would let Cleveland native Matt Smoral get past them. Could easily be taken in the top 10, though. He's a 6'8" lefty from Solon High School. Keith Law had him ranked #14 in his early 2012 Draft Rankings. Mid-90's fastball with an out-pitch breaking ball. Has a lower arm slot, like Masterson, and committed to North Carolina.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:39 pm

PEngle39 wrote:I have a hard time believing the Indians would let Cleveland native Matt Smoral get past them. Could easily be taken in the top 10, though. He's a 6'8" lefty from Solon High School. Keith Law had him ranked #14 in his early 2012 Draft Rankings. Mid-90's fastball with an out-pitch breaking ball. Has a lower arm slot, like Masterson, and committed to North Carolina.

You mentioned it...his arm slot...it sucks. It's a shame someone taught him to pitch like that b/c he's a really good talent with excellent size, a very good pitcher's arm, and good athleticism. (A left handed) Justin Masterson is a very good comparison; I wish I had thought of it myself.

Frankly, he's a first round talent but I'd be really disappointed if the Indians took him. I hate guys with low slots b/c I think they have trouble missing bats of hitters on the other side (in Smoral's case, I don't see how he'll be able to miss bats against right handed hitters) and that's a major problem. I can see him going in the middle of the first round and think your point is definitely valid, but I sure as hell wouldn't be the guy taking him that high.

Randy Johnson had a similar low slot, so yeah there are exceptions, but I've seen too many of those kind of pitchers with relatively flat stuff have K/BB ratios that really flatten out once they get to Double-A.

Yeah, Masterson became adequate vs. lefties last year and was overall successful (b/c he's death on righties) but he'll always be structurally challenged vs. lefties. Lots of other guys don't see the success Masterson had last year and end up in middle relief if they are fortunate enough to make the majors.

Just my opinion. I'm not paid to make these decisions so take it for what it's worth!
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 pm

JP_Frost wrote:There are so many routes the Indians could take in this draft and I'm pretty much fine with all of them. I'm still holding out a little bit of hope for Trey Williams as I think he could be something very special.

I really think we should atleast consider Richie Schaffer in the first round. He's putting up absolutely insane numbers at the moment and the scouting reports seem to warrant a 1st round pick. I also think he'd be an easier sign than some the HS kids and could move through the system very quickly.

Speaking of college 1st baseman, Jayce Boyd is a guy I'd target in the 2nd/3rd round if he's there.

Saw Jace Boyd play the other day. Given the one time look(this year), I liked what I saw. He's improved since last year. This is a smooth, athletic player who has the upside to be a GG caliber 1B with a mid .800's OPS. JP, you mention Shaffer & I believe Shaffer ends up at 1B as a pro. Shaffer might go late 1st & we might be able to grab Boyd in the 2nd. To me Boyd is as good as Shaffer with the bat & will be a better defensive 1B. Boyd could be a steal in the 2nd.

Boyd's team mate Ramsey is having a great year but is a Senior who has limited pro upside IMO. Great college player though.

People on the fan sites are deserting the Marrero ship in droves, even going as far as suggesting that he slips out of the 1st. Lots of these guys were earlier musing over whether Marrero would go 1.1 in the draft.

Hey OB, they're coming around to our side. :biggrin
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 am

The Akron Beacon Journal had a nice article about a Tallmadge RHP, Tucker Linder. He's a senior this year, stands 6'5 and 215 with a maturity to pitch at the next level(s):

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-school/ ... d-1.282191

He has committed to attend Kent State in the fall, however, from the article, it's clear he would certainly entertain an opportunity to begin his professional baseball career if his draft position nets him a 'good' bonus. The Indians may not want to spend their first round pick on him, but, certainly, somewhere in the first three rounds could do it for this athletic kid..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 am

Last night 5 scouts (Natinals, Phillies, Brewers, Orioles, Rangers) were on hand at Woodstock High School (Georgia) to see 2 SS....Cole Watson (Woodstock - Georgia Southern commmit) and Dansby Swanson (Marietta - Vanderbilt commit)....I don't think either is a 1st rounder but both were impressive. Both had a couple hard hit balls and both showed good speed....the real star of the show was Marietta Jr. CF Nick HIgh with several hard hit balls and showed a very good arm in CF...

I think it shows something when 5 area scouts show up to see a HS game on a Friday night when colleges are featuring their #1 starters especially w/the new collective bargaining agreement (where imo if a HS isn't taken in 1-10 range they will be heading to college and not pros).

On a side note, I overheard the scouts talking about the kid that ended up at Russell County who I assume is Rock Rucker who transferred from Redan HS to Russell County (Ala) this spring. I heard them say "Didn't do his homework".
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:A couple of us here were really enthusiastic about drafting Bobby Wahl as a late round flyer 2 drafts ago. He was one of those really high upside HS SP's with which you like to stockpile the system. Well, he struggled with injury & ineffectiveness as a freshman, but after a successful stint at the Cape last summer he's projected to be the #1 starter for Ol Miss. I don't fault the org for missing on him, at least not like I did with Lincecum. We offered a ton of money & he turned it down. In the preview the writer(s) do a short scouting/projection report on the leagues top prospects, including their predictions of which round they'll be drafted. They project Wahl to be a 1st round pick.

I saw Bobby Wahl pitch last summer. I thought he looked good. Certainly a 1st round talent, though still needs some refinement.

Too bad we missed on him. Had he signed and been in our farm system right now, he'd probably be like the 5th best prospect or so, but that doesn't say too much.

Bobby Wahl came up big against the #1 Gators on Fri, going 8-IP, 0-ER, 2H, 3BB, 6K.

Richie Shaffer's down to .319 but his OPS is still over 1.100. He's already got 7 Errors in only 27GP. Future 1B.

Mark Appel didn't help himself much against AZ: 8IP, 12H, 6ER, 2BB, 5K. Miss some bats whydon'tya.

Michael Wacha went 6.1IP, 12H, 4ER, 1BB, 5K against Missouri. Ditto.

Kevin Gausman went 6.2IP, 5H, 5ER, 2BB, 12K against Ark.

Raph Rhymes(LSU) is doing his best Pete Rose imitation(no, not betting on games) as he's up to .491/.533/.574. Really, this kid is a Pete Rose clone, 6' & stocky with a flat swing that stays on plane a long time. Makes hard contact with no lift, lots of line drives. Not much physical projection but that bat should play. Fun to watch.

Saw a good game on Sunday, pitching duel between Ryne Stanek(Ark) & Ryan Eades(LSU). Stanek went 7IP, 6H, 1ER, 1BB, 10K. He has a strong arm(91-93), good deception & a really nice slider. Did a good job changing eye levels. Eades didn't throw quite as hard but located better, getting tons of called strikes on the corners. His line 7.1IP, 5H, 1ER, 1BB, 8K. They both left with the game tied 1-1. LSU won with a walk off single in the 9th. This was the middle game of a LSU sweep over the weekend of then #3 Arkansas.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Stanek is a guy I was hoping the Indians would draft when he came out of HS. Good to see him doing well.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby ohioteamz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 am

Rocky55 wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:Speaking of college 1st baseman, Jayce Boyd is a guy I'd target in the 2nd/3rd round if he's there.

Saw Jace Boyd play the other day. Given the one time look(this year), I liked what I saw. He's improved since last year. This is a smooth, athletic player who has the upside to be a GG caliber 1B with a mid .800's OPS. JP, you mention Shaffer & I believe Shaffer ends up at 1B as a pro. Shaffer might go late 1st & we might be able to grab Boyd in the 2nd. To me Boyd is as good as Shaffer with the bat & will be a better defensive 1B. Boyd could be a steal in the 2nd.

I saw Boyd play here at UCF. FSU won the game 1-0, and the only run was a laser home run, and I am pretty sure he smashed two other balls during the game so when they replayed it on BHN I made it a point to watch the homer and was quite impressed with his swing mechanics. I wouldn't be shocked to see him succeed in the pro game.
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 am

ohioteamz wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:Speaking of college 1st baseman, Jayce Boyd is a guy I'd target in the 2nd/3rd round if he's there.

I saw Boyd play here at UCF. FSU won the game 1-0, and the only run was a laser home run, and I am pretty sure he smashed two other balls during the game so when they replayed it on BHN I made it a point to watch the homer and was quite impressed with his swing mechanics. I wouldn't be shocked to see him succeed in the pro game.

Welcome ohioteamz. If you're at UCF you can keep an eye on DJ Hicks & Ben Lively for us, or anyone else we need to know about.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ohioteamz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I live right there but don't get to too many games since my own kids are playing HS ball. DJ Hicks is solid, but I am not sure his swing is as sweet as Jayce Boyd's. He is a big dude for sure, but I would need to study his mechanics to see for sure. I once made a couple of clips of Allen Dykstra hitting in Alaska and told a scout, his swing won't cut in the pro's despite being a very big guy with great NCAA stats, so I should probably take a look at Hicks.
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:58 am

daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
People on the fan sites are deserting the Marrero ship in droves, even going as far as suggesting that he slips out of the 1st. Lots of these guys were earlier musing over whether Marrero would go 1.1 in the draft.

Hey OB, they're coming around to our side. :biggrin

Rocky, Marrero has been terrible. Will he fall out of the first round? He still has major league SS tools, and given how many teams love college players, I think he may still get taken in the first round. I mean, Levi Michael went in the first round last which blows my mind, but it happened. Marrero has a lot more tools than Michael, even if he's not hitting.

I've said it before, but this college class really sucks. Mark Appel has been far from dominating. There are apparent flaws with pretty much all of these college guys, and I just don't see how a MLB scouting director can feel good about taking a lot of these guys in the top 10 overall. It's really a stretch taking some of these guys (but not all) that early.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Someone mentioned Matt Smoral of Solon as a potential upper draft candidate.. well, bad news for Matt (From BA):

..Matt Smoral, a lefthanded pitcher at Solon (Ohio) High, will have surgery on the fourth metatarsal of his right foot on Friday, April 6, his father confirmed in an e-mail to Baseball America. The surgery will be performed by Dr. Brian Donley of the Cleveland Clinic. Donley said the expected recovery time is 12 to 14 weeks and while he couldn't guarantee anything, he expects a full recovery with no limitations for Smoral afterward..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Been reading on PG about a couple of HS guys that sound really interesting.

Albert Almora, Hialeah, FL HS, RH OF, a very sound fundamentals guy who plays CF & is expected to stick there in pro ball. Does everything well but whose only exceptional tool is hitting line drives. Average runner that plays up because of good instincts, average arm that plays up do to perfect fundamentals & excellent accuracy, takes great routes in the OF, not much present or projected power but the best hitter on every team he plays with. I'm sure he's not a guy the Tribe pops at 15 but it sounds like he'll have a really successful pro career.

Avery Romero, St. Augustine, FL HS, RH. Currently a MIF who is projected to catch as a pro. A quote from PG scout '11 Area Code Games: "Put on a hitting clinic, crushed ball in BP, crushed ball in games, showed power & lift, can hit any pitching, charges very well, plays hard & has fun." He's resisted switching to catcher but is a Florida commit who is heir apparent to Zunino. It was noted that he has worked out at catcher for scouts & showed raw mechanics(obviously), but quick reactions, pop times in the 1.8's & a "huge potential ceiling". Has all of the catching tools in abundance.

Here we have two HS guys, one a mostly finished but excellent product, the other one very raw but with great potential at his projected position. Both middle of the diamond guys who have hit very well against the best HS pitching & in Almora's case, the best International pitching in his age group. I'd be interested in scouting reports of anyone who has seen these guys play. My guy in Florida who told me about Lindor originally has cut way back on his involvement as all of his boys are out of HS now.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ohioteamz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 am

Almora played a game at our field earlier this year and had one double. I've yet to see one home run on our field in the BBCOR era must just be a tough place to put one out (kid with 7 doubles and a triple and always a little short). Tons of scouts were at the game, in fact I think I posted a pic on facebook, we don't normally see that even when Bichette played at our field. I am told the Red Sox GM (whom I am too lazy to look up the name) was one of the guys watching. They had a loaded team with Rey Sanchez Jr. as well. I wish I'd took video of his swing, I am pretty picky on swing mechanics, as to whether I think they be studly at the next level. That said he seemed to pass the eye test as far as approach and viciousness of swing. However I'd have to look at a frame by frame swing before I'd recommend the Tribe cut that $2,000,000 check. (or less perhaps I don't know the new draft rules). I do not remember seeing speed that was special, but I really wasn't paying close attention.
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ohioteamz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:53 am

From looking at this I'd say he's going to be an athlete who is a project. Nowhere even close to as crisp and ready for pro-ball as say Dante Bichette Jr. was last year. Kind of an up and over with the hands. Very much an effort swing here, however I'll take into account he was between 11th and 12th grade here, but if you look at Josh Hamilton's swing as a HS kid for instance it was pretty damn good and largely hasn't changed much. I don't follow the minor league's like you guys do, but I'd be curious to know how many guys are able to make a mechanical overhaul to their swing past say 19 or 20? I know Bautista pulled it off, but you don't see that too often. Pro hitting coaches are more like advisors they obviously can't ask guys to make a big change. Small adjustments, approach, mental thoughts, is where most of them live.

If you have youtube downloader you can view this in mp4 with quicktime to do frame-by-frame analysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kX_eORhMBQ
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ohioteamz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm

PG Mock draft has this kid going 9th overall in the first round so don't listen to me. Of course I am basing my opinion on the fact that he'll need a swing overhaul in the lower levels based on what I've seen so far.

As much as I like to think we want to get the next great hitter in the first reality says those guys bust a lot too so while this swing would need to change to be great, I would assume he'll have a chance at being an everyday guy (say a Michael Brantley)
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Rawnsley has his 1st Mock up on PG & has Andrew Heaney, LHP, OK State. His stat line goes: 67.1 IP, 49H, 14BB, 85K, .214 ERA, .200 BAA. Rawnsley calls him the top ranked college LHSP. Says he'll be a fast tracker to MLB, a ground ball machine whose slider is a strike out weapon.

All sounds nice, plus the fact that he's been well thought of since HS. Mayo calls him a "pitchability" lefty with stuff to go with it. But---

A little research shows me that in the admittedly few bad games he has had, RH batters have hit him like a drum. The 1st I noticed was Josh Elander who is a high level bat. Getting hit hard by Elander is no shame. Then I saw what Ben Turner(?) of Missouri, Josh Ludy(?) & Jake Miller(??) of Baylor, Zac Elgie(???), Kevin Kuntz(???), & Alex DeLeon(???) of Kansas, and Mark Payton of Texas did. Not exactly murderer's row but they all hit Heaney pretty hard. Pass.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:03 am

Rocky55 wrote:Rawnsley has his 1st Mock up on PG & has Andrew Heaney, LHP, OK State. His stat line goes: 67.1 IP, 49H, 14BB, 85K, .214 ERA, .200 BAA. Rawnsley calls him the top ranked college LHSP. Says he'll be a fast tracker to MLB, a ground ball machine whose slider is a strike out weapon.

All sounds nice, plus the fact that he's been well thought of since HS. Mayo calls him a "pitchability" lefty with stuff to go with it. But---

A little research shows me that in the admittedly few bad games he has had, RH batters have hit him like a drum. The 1st I noticed was Josh Elander who is a high level bat. Getting hit hard by Elander is no shame. Then I saw what Ben Turner(?) of Missouri, Josh Ludy(?) & Jake Miller(??) of Baylor, Zac Elgie(???), Kevin Kuntz(???), & Alex DeLeon(???) of Kansas, and Mark Payton of Texas did. Not exactly murderer's row but they all hit Heaney pretty hard. Pass.

I saw Heaney earlier this year and the thought of the Indians taking him freaked me out, b/c he profiles as the kind of guy the Indians might take (college arm, relatively close to the majors). I hate his arm action -- he short-arms his stroke very badly.

He's got very nice tools. He's got a good body, long, loose arms and a very quick arm (actually may to project to throw harder down the road) but I don't take a lot of comfort in that arm action. I'm with you, Rocky. I don't like him.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for the personal insight OB. If Heaney's body & tools are that good along with some projectability, someone's going to take him early. There must be something about his motion that makes him hittable by some pretty pedestrian college hitters. It's gotten a lot harder to hit HRs in the college game with the new bats. One of those guys I listed had 2 HRs this season, is batting sub .300, & yet one of his HRs is against a supposedly dominant CSP. You have to square up really good to hit one out now. Doesn't augur well for future success against RH hitters in MLB.

A couple of posts up ohioteamz mentioned Albert Almora's swing mechanics & the feasiblity of changing/improving them for an already accomplished HS player. IMO it would be easier to change swing mechanics than an overhaul of a pitching motion. I don't mean moving from one side of the rubber to the other or encouraging a longer stride or more extension, although even those would likely affect command pretty significantly. Imagine how hard it would be to change the arm extension/path/motion with a mature college pitcher?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Here's a link to MLB.com's top 50 with bio info. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/ ... list=draft
Top 5
Appel
Marrero
Buxton
Zunino
Gausman
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Just to finish up, hopefully for good, with Heaney, Klima posted a scouting report. He gives Heaney a 50 grade, which in his grading system equates to the low end of what he terms a "Mild Prospect", 50-52 grade, a #4 starter or "quality" set up man. The physical description sounds like Chris Sale.

I want more out of the #15 pick.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:50 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's a link to MLB.com's top 50 with bio info. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/ ... list=draft
Top 5
Appel
Marrero
Buxton
Zunino
Gausman

It's amazing to me to see Marrero ranked #2. He's batting .279 right now.

Rocky, you mentioned him before, but this Almora guy seems to be getting a lot of buzz. All I've seen is video, but the thing I really like about him is how well his upper body moves in his swing. It's really quite excellent how free and loose his upper body is during his swing -- very nice swing and projectable athleticism. He's got a good swing plane and potentially could have some very very good bat speed in a couple years. I agree that he seems like a little bit of a reach given his profile, though, unless he's just a very true, pure hitter and I can't judge that off a little video. For a HS guy, there's just too little present-day physical tools to be taken so early.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby ohioteamz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:57 pm

My problem with Almora from the video I've watched and seeing him live at our field is his bat speed is out front. His hands push forward almost immediately, there is no concept that the back leg is the first thing to turn, he shifts up to the front side and hammers. If you look at the first ground ball I linked to the PG highlights, and download, watch frame by frame you don't see the back leg do anything until he shifts his weight. That's spin. Again the kid is clearly an elite athlete but does stuff like that get corrected by a professional team? I don't think so.

At the 1:07 mark he has a ball he doesn't swing at, and his hands are coming too far forward. If he never corrects that he'll never be an elite hitter. If this were my son, we'd be in the back yard cage correcting a few things, I wouldn't settle for his swing for my own kind or anyone I taught. Anyway look at the check'ed swing on a ball so far inside it almost hits is back foot and he his hands traveled forward a long way. What that tells you is he will really struggle with the 94 MPH guy with a good curve.

Here is another one.

https://p.twimg.com/ArBdPiSCEAE7CMw.jpg:large
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am

Ahh.. the # 15 pick. 14 guys will be taken before the Indians are on the clock. That list will include the Appel's, Zunino's, Buxton's, the Fried's.. et. al.. While these guys would be coveted by any and all teams..only the top of the draft teams will have a chance to draft them..

So, with that said.. who are the 'realistic' players who 'should' be available in the 12-18 range? Here is a brief list of a half dozen LH pitchers the Indians may look at:

1. Alex Wood: LHP Georgia, Power armed lefty who brings his best stuff to park when facing the best opposition. At 6'4" and 220 & athleticism to be a workhorse at the highest levels.. more of a safe pick: high floor, limited ceiling that has a similar motion to Ubaldo without the six pitch repertoire.
2. Mason McVay: Florida Intl: BIG 6'5" Commander of the baseball, post TJ and has his velocity back into the mid 90's. If nothing else, his mustache & charisma will scare the be-jeesus out of batters..
3. Matt Smoral: Solon HS kid currently on the sidelines with a broken foot. Could be a later round steal
4. Max Foody: Two way Florida High School star, committed to Florida State, An athlete as an outfielder and pitcher. Athleticism and drive make him an elite prospect going forward provided his shoulder is healed.. Danger Will Robinson..
5. Chase Mullins: 6'9" LHP.. listed at 260, but tips the scales at three bills plus. Doesn't have a smooth athlete's body, but at his size, can intimidate the least timid batter who dares to enter the batters box.. Being a bit 'wild', doesn't hurt either..
6. Taylor Jones: 6'6" LHP.. if he's 190, he has a ten pound weight in his back pocket. Will grow some and, with mound presence & maturity, this Washington kid could become a special talent..

thoughts?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:37 am

ohioteamz wrote:My problem with Almora from the video I've watched and seeing him live at our field is his bat speed is out front. His hands push forward almost immediately, there is no concept that the back leg is the first thing to turn, he shifts up to the front side and hammers. If you look at the first ground ball I linked to the PG highlights, and download, watch frame by frame you don't see the back leg do anything until he shifts his weight. That's spin. Again the kid is clearly an elite athlete but does stuff like that get corrected by a professional team? I don't think so.

At the 1:07 mark he has a ball he doesn't swing at, and his hands are coming too far forward. If he never corrects that he'll never be an elite hitter. If this were my son, we'd be in the back yard cage correcting a few things, I wouldn't settle for his swing for my own kind or anyone I taught. Anyway look at the check'ed swing on a ball so far inside it almost hits is back foot and he his hands traveled forward a long way. What that tells you is he will really struggle with the 94 MPH guy with a good curve.

Here is another one.

https://p.twimg.com/ArBdPiSCEAE7CMw.jpg:large

I've never been a hitting coach and pure hitting mechanics have never been a strength of mine in analyzing players, but I think I understand where you're coming from on Almora. Basically, his lower half isn't fully utilized in his swing. I remember Tyler Greene (current STL utility infielder, but former Georgia Tech, Saint Thomas Aquinas his shool guy). At 6'3", very athletic and a good body, he was compared by some to Alex Rodriguez when he was in high school. Heck, if you watch him right now, he's still quite impressive. He's very athletic, strong, moves very well, keeps himself in great shape, but his swing is pretty much all upper half. He's never reached his ceiling and that could be a good reason why?
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 am

Geronimo, I've heard of some of those guys, but this is a very weak draft in LHP's outside of like Max Fried, who seems to be getting some buzz in the top 10 overall (which seems quite high to me even though I like him). Could be hard prying Smoral away from college -- perhaps if it was last year the Indians could have tried something.

It will be interesting to see who goes first; Mark Appel or Kevin Gausman. Going into the year, I liked Gausman as much as I liked Waccha, but Gausman has been better against better competition, and I think his velo has been better, so he's got the clear edge over Waccha. It'll also be interesting to see where Marcus Stroman goes. Stroman just does not look like a major league starting pitcher, but his collegiate success has been impressive. I'd pass on him at 15th overall; hope the Indians do, too.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

The Indians traditionally stay away from smaller pitchers. Most there arms are 6 ft or taller.

Matt Smoral LHP from Solon, could be a guy the Tribe looks at. He's had a foot injury which shut him down early but could still be a 1st or probably a 2nd rd pk. Smoral is s power lefty hitting 94 with the frame (6'8) to add more strength.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 pm

This is BA's top 100 (from early Feb.)

Rk. Player Pos. B/T Ht. Wt. School
1. Mark Appel RHP R-R 6-5 190 Stanford
2. Lucas Giolito RHP R-R 6-6 230 Harvard-Westlake HS, Studio City, Calif.
3. Byron Buxton OF R-R 6-2 175 Appling County HS, Baxley, Ga.
4. Deven Marrero SS R-R 6-1 194 Arizona State
5. Mike Zunino C R-R 6-2 215 Florida
6. Kevin Gausman RHP L-R 6-4 185 Louisiana State
7. Chris Beck RHP R-R 6-3 220 Georgia Southern
8. Brian Johnson LHP/1B L-L 6-3 225 Florida
9. Victor Roache OF R-R 6-1 225 Georgia Southern
10. David Dahl OF L-R 6-2 185 Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham
11. Walker Weickel RHP R-R 6-6 205 Olympia HS, Orlando
12. Stryker Trahan C L-R 6-1 220 Acadiana HS, Lafayette, La.
13. Matt Smoral LHP L-L 6-8 225 Solon (Ohio) HS
14. Albert Almora OF R-R 6-2 170 Mater Academy, Hialeah Gardens, Fla.
15. Max Fried LHP L-L 6-4 170 Harvard-Westlake HS, Studio City, Calif.
16. Gavin Cecchini SS R-R 6-2 185 Barbe HS, Lake Charles, La.
17. Carlos Correa SS R-R 6-4 190 Puerto Rico Baseball Acad., Gurabo, P.R.
18. Stephen Piscotty 3B R-R 6-3 195 Stanford
19. Jake Barrett RHP R-R 6-3 220 Arizona State
20. Lance McCullers Jr. RHP R-R 6-2 195 Jesuit HS, Tampa
21. Joey Gallo 1B/RHP L-R 6-5 205 Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas
22. Marcus Stroman RHP R-R 5-9 185 Duke
23. Michael Wacha RHP R-R 6-6 200 Texas A&M
24. Travis Jankowski OF L-R 6-3 190 Stony Brook
25. Josh Elander C R-R 6-1 215 Texas Christian
26. Richie Shaffer 3B/1B R-R 6-3 205 Clemson
27. Trey Williams 3B R-R 6-2 205 Valencia HS, Santa Clarita, Calif.
28. Kyle Zimmer RHP R-R 6-3 210 San Francisco
29. Kenny Diekroeger SS R-R 6-2 200 Stanford
30. Tyler Naquin OF L-R 6-2 170 Texas A&M
31. Adam Brett Walker OF/1B R-R 6-5 225 Jacksonville
32. Luke Sims RHP R-R 6-2 195 Brookwood HS, Snellville, Ga.
33. Duane Underwood RHP R-R 6-2 205 Pope HS, Marietta, Ga.
34. Rio Ruiz 3B L-R 6-2 195 Bishop Amat HS, La Puente, Calif.
35. Branden Kline RHP R-R 6-3 190 Virginia
36. C.J. Hinojosa SS R-R 5-11 185 Klein Collins HS, Spring, Texas
37. Addison Russell SS R-R 6-1 205 Pace (Fla.) HS
38. Courtney Hawkins OF/RHP R-R 6-3 215 Carroll HS, Corpus Christi, Texas
39. Freddy Avis RHP L-R 6-2 180 Menlo School, Atherton, Calif.
40. Hunter Virant LHP R-L 6-3 175 Camarillo (Calif.) HS
41. Ty Hensley RHP B-R 6-5 220 Santa Fe HS, Edmond, Okla.
42. Nick Williams OF L-L 6-3 190 Ball HS, Galveston, Texas
43. Nolan Sanburn RHP R-R 6-0 185 Arkansas
44. J.T. Chargois RHP B-R 6-3 200 Rice
45. Andrew Heaney LHP L-L 6-2 174 Oklahoma State
46. Josh Conway RHP R-R 6-1 175 Coastal Carolina
47. R.J. Alvarez RHP R-R 6-1 180 Florida Atlantic
48. Lex Rutledge LHP L-L 6-2 205 Samford
49. Nathan Kirby LHP L-L 6-2 185 James River HS, Midlothian, Va.
50. Jesse Winker OF L-L 6-3 200 Olympia HS, Orlando
Rk. Player Pos. B/T Ht. Wt. School
51. Lewis Brinson OF R-R 6-4 185 Coral Springs (Fla.) HS
52. Mitchell Traver RHP R-R 6-7 235 Houston Christian HS
53. Nick Travieso RHP R-R 6-3 205 Archbishop McCarthy HS, SW Ranches, Fla.
54. Carson Kelly 3B/RHP R-R 6-2 200 Westview HS, Portland
55. Tanner Rahier SS R-R 6-2 205 Palm Desert (Calif.) HS
56. Clint Coulter C R-R 6-3 200 Union HS, Camas, Wash.
57. Hudson Randall RHP R-R 6-3 185 Florida
58. Pat Light RHP R-R 6-6 200 Monmouth
59. Stephen Johnson RHP R-R 6-4 190 St. Edward's (Texas)
60. Corey Seager SS L-R 6-4 195 Northwest Cabarrus HS, Concord, N.C.
61. Fernando Perez 3B L-R 6-1 185 Central Arizona JC
62. Brady Rodgers RHP R-R 6-2 175 Arizona State
63. Rhett Wiseman OF L-R 6-1 195 Buckingham Browne & Nichols HS, Cambridge, Mass.
64. Jameis Winston OF/RHP B-R 6-4 195 Hueytown (Ala.) HS
65. Zach Eflin RHP R-R 6-5 200 Hagerty HS, Oviedo, Fla.
66. Matt Koch RHP L-R 6-3 205 Louisville
67. Nolan Fontana SS L-R 5-11 190 Florida
68. Tom Murphy C R-R 6-1 200 Buffalo
69. James Ramsey OF L-R 6-0 190 Florida State
70. Skye Bolt OF B-R 6-3 175 Holy Innocents' Episcopal HS, Atlanta
71. Patrick Wisdom 3B R-R 6-2 210 St. Mary's
72. Daniel Robertson 3B R-R 6-0 180 Upland (Calif.) HS
73. Taylore Cherry RHP R-R 6-9 260 Butler HS, Vandalia, Ohio
74. Jeremy Baltz OF R-R 6-3 205 St. John's
75. Alex Wood LHP R-L 6-4 216 Georgia
76. Martin Agosta RHP R-R 6-1 160 St. Mary's
77. Brandon Thomas OF B-R 6-3 202 Georgia Tech
78. Chris Taylor SS R-R 6-0 170 Virginia
79. Cody Poteet RHP R-R 6-1 180 Christian HS, El Cajon, Calif.
80. Austin Dean 3B R-R 6-1 185 Klein Collins HS, Spring, Texas
81. Daniel Starwalt RHP R-R 6-3 195 Granite Hills HS, El Cajon, Calif.
82. D.J. Davis OF L-R 5-11 170 Stone HS, Wiggins, Miss.
83. Matt Reynolds 3B/SS R-R 6-1 200 Arkansas
84. Hoby Milner LHP L-L 6-2 165 Texas
85. D.J. Baxendale RHP R-R 6-2 190 Arkansas
86. Kevin Brady RHP L-R 6-3 220 Clemson
87. Ty Buttrey RHP L-R 6-5 205 Providence HS, Charlotte
88. Keon Barnum 1B L-L 6-4 225 King HS, Tampa
89. Anthony Alford OF R-R 6-2 210 Petal (Miss.) HS
90. Peter O'Brien C R-R 6-5 225 Miami
91. Tony Renda 2B R-R 5-8 173 California
92. Buck Farmer RHP L-R 6-3 220 Georgia Tech
93. Teddy Stankiewicz RHP R-R 6-4 200 Southwest Christian HS, Fort Worth, Texas
94. Kyle Hansen RHP R-R 6-8 215 St. John's
95. Preston Tucker OF L-L 6-0 220 Florida
96. Sam Stafford LHP L-L 6-4 190 Texas
97. Barrett Barnes OF R-R 6-1 210 Texas Tech
98. Kolby Copeland OF L-R 6-2 195 Parkway HS, Bossier City, La.
99. Austin Maddox RHP/1B R-R 6-3 225 Florida
100. Brett Mooneyham LHP L-L 6-5 235 Stanford
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ScrappyWahoo » Tue May 01, 2012 8:46 pm

I would like to see McCullers, Gallo and Smoral on the board at 15.
ScrappyWahoo
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 pm

homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 pm

The Tribe pks 15 and then 79 in the first two rounds. There is still and compensation round between the 1st and 2nd rd which caused the Tribe's 2nd pk to fall an add. 30+ pks.

Personally, Id prefer the Tribe go with Matt Smoral or a RH bat like Shafer or even Piscotty if they choose that route.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ScrappyWahoo » Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 pm

As a littke sidenote 2014 Jacob Niggemeyer is a sophmore in Ohio already verbaled to Ohio State and offers from Kentucky Vanderbuilt and lots of interest from other SEC and ACC schools. Some have told me he's farther along then Taylor Cherry at the same point in their career as a Sophmore. He verbaled on the spot to Ohio St called ita dream come true and he wants to lead them to Omaha
ScrappyWahoo
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ScrappyWahoo » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Any reason McCullers is falling? Was he just over rated last year? Can the Lucas Giloto kid fall to our pick at 15 after his elbow injury? I really think we still dont have a #1 in our system im kinda giving up on Knapp. It would be nice of the tribe can take a prep arm and develop him if its Fried or Smoral or the other2 i mentioned. If not i would pick between gallo and roache
ScrappyWahoo
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ohioteamz » Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
I've never been a hitting coach and pure hitting mechanics have never been a strength of mine in analyzing players, but I think I understand where you're coming from on Almora. Basically, his lower half isn't fully utilized in his swing. I remember Tyler Greene (current STL utility infielder, but former Georgia Tech, Saint Thomas Aquinas his shool guy). At 6'3", very athletic and a good body, he was compared by some to Alex Rodriguez when he was in high school. Heck, if you watch him right now, he's still quite impressive. He's very athletic, strong, moves very well, keeps himself in great shape, but his swing is pretty much all upper half. He's never reached his ceiling and that could be a good reason why?

Sorry missed this but yes I need to take a look at Tyler Greene's swing sometime. I don't watch enough guys to know like vs. dislike, but I know that I am not fond of say Ankiel's mechanics but I really don't stare enough at them to know for sure. It's not until I break look some video frame-by-frame.

Mechanics in and of themselves shouldn't be the basis but definitely a tool to use. For instance I feel like my kid is extremely sound mechanically right now (ended .415 or something down here in Fla.) but you can tell he doesn't have the "twitch" of an elite hitter. And so my point being the eyeball test is going to probably always rule in judging players. I see a kid on my son's team who over 25-30 games was probably .200 lower on avg, which is significant, but I am certain if a scout was watching the two, he's pick the kid with the low batting avg. because he has the twitch. Almora absolutely has the twitch and is worthy of a high draft pick, but personally I'd question as I mentioned before whether I'd want to invest whatever top 15 bonus is in the new draft, knowing he'd have to make some changes.

Incidentally as far as mechanics I did some clips of Pujols the other day with LAA and his mechanics have absolutely changed whether it was intentional or something that snuck up on him when he started to press I don't know.
ohioteamz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 pm

I saw Baxendale pitch over the weekend & if somone could teach this kid a cutter or a two seam FB he'd be something. He doesn't have the strongest arm with his FB sitting about 90(per the announcers) but that CB is something. His CB is better than Pomeranz's. If he had Hudson Randall's cutter he could dominate. He's RH & 6'2" & 190 so I doubt he gets much stronger. He's got good command but his FB, which is straight, is hittable when he doesn't locate. Make that tee-offable. Don't know where he's projected to go but I doubt he's in the top 150. Maybe a 4th or 5th Round guy that turns out to be a steal with some work.

Klima said that the Stros GM sat trough 7 Innins of Appel's last start, which was one of his most impressive in his college career. Klima thinks Appel just assured himself of going 1.1 to the Astros.

I wonder if Austin Maddox could get stretched out into a starter. His arm is as good as anyone in the draft & has a really nice slider too. Gets a lot of swings & misses.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Heads up for anyone interested, if you get ESPNU, tonight at 8:00, Arkansas(Ryne Stanek), vs South Carolina(Michael Roth).
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk