Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Controlling the Future

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Controlling the Future

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Rumors are flying that the Indians are working on extending more player contracts.
That's a good thing but who exactly are the priorities to extend?

My #1 choice would be Masterson. He had a great season last year, and seems ready to take the next step this season. Locking up your #1 SP is always a good thing.

Logical thinking would say also to lock up Choo if possible. But I would have reservations on that. First off, Boros clients always take top dollar. Second, after a poor season, I would like to see him rebound somewhat. Remember Hafner signed his extention in the middle of a slump. It was a slump that has continued the rest of his career.

I know Santana is under control for quite some years into the future. However, if he's the real deal, I wouldn't be anxious to go to arbitration with a 30 HR - 100 RBI guy in the future.It wouldn't hurt to knock out arbitration and extend a FA year with him.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Controlling the Future

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Totally understand the reservations on Choo. I'd definitely do a deal somewhat similar to Cabrera's. Minimizes the risk for the Tribe if Choo doesn't bounce back but gets them an extra year. Tribe has a lot of guys under control thru 2014 so getting Choo that extra year helps expand the window of competing an extra year. Plus, not much coming up that can beat out Choo in RF. That said, think it'd be very tough to get him to sign such a short extension with Boras as his agent.

I'm torn on Masterson as I'm sure the Tribe is too. I think what we've seen the last year and half to two years is legit and he's only gonna get better.....but with pitchers there is an even greater risk of injury. Tribe has him thru 2014 regarless so urgency isn't as high as with Choo (or Cabrera before he signed). I wouldn't be upset with an extension for him, though waiting a bit is probably the best move.

Santana is a guy I wanted the Tribe to lock up this winter. He isn't going to be a Super Two from the sounds of it, so you could wait til next winter, though could use it as a way to give him some extra money in a non-arby year to entice him to sign longer. I know some on here seem to think the Grady deal was bad for the Tribe but that is not really accurate at all. The Tribe saved millions even with the injuries on that deal. Would have no issue giving an even larger deal to Santana. Tribe can't be giving out Votto-like deals....but deals like Markakis, Justin Upton, Carlos Gonzalez, etc....deals with your young players are ones the Tribe is going to have to considering making if they want to compete going forward.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am

Great news with the Indians extending Carlos Santana. Kuddos to the front office, (when they deserve it).

Carlos should be a consistent run producer in his career. Even getting 1 FA year is big for a guy like him. I could see him as a very high-priced player some day.
I hope they keep the train moving and sign Masterson too. He, Santana, and ACab seem to be the foundation for this team.

If you have those spots in your lineup filled in for a few years, you know your budget range and can fill in with reasonable multi-year FA contracts. Also future trades can be made from positions of depth in the organization.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am

..Santana is a guy I wanted the Tribe to lock up...
Ask and yee shall receive.. Now, how about asking for some runs?...

Further to the contract with details from MLB Trade Rumors & the Mike Axisa story:

..The Indians announced that they have agreed to a five-year extension with switch-hitting catcher Carlos Santana. The deal, which includes a club option for 2017, is worth $21MM in guaranteed money. Santana is represented by Andy Mota of the Wasserman Media Group.

The contract covers the 2012-16 seasons: Santana's final two pre-arbitration seasons and his three arbitration seasons. If exercised, the club option would keep Santana in Cleveland for his first free agent season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/i ... ntana.html
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors