RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Breakouts and busts

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Breakouts and busts

Postby jagon1119 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 am

I wanted to start a thread to talk about who is going to break out and who is not going to... My thoughts

Breakout
Levon Washington
Ronny Rod
TJ house

Bust
Jesus Aguilar
Austin Adams (not totally but becomes a bullpen guy not a starter)
Chun Chen
jagon1119
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Breakouts and busts

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:33 am

jagon1119 wrote:I wanted to start a thread to talk about who is going to break out and who is not going to... My thoughts

Breakout
Levon Washington
Ronny Rod
TJ house

Bust
Jesus Aguilar
Austin Adams (not totally but becomes a bullpen guy not a starter)
Chun Chen

going with the 3 up 3 down format.....No pitchers - as most all of them could go either way at this point.

Breakout
Ronny Rod (quit swinging at everything!)
Jesus Aguilar
Bryson Miles

Edit - I removed my "bust" selections. They were too hasty/unfair, though with that said I don't think Washington will have a breakout season
Last edited by criznit2009 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 am

Three up:

1. Eric Haase (best catching prospect in the Indians system..all around 'dirtbag')
2. LeVon Washington (it's WASH-Time!!.. pure athlete with rapidly developing baseball skills)
3. Francisco Lindor (a natural leader with a complete game, all at the age of 18)

Three down:

1. Nick Weglarz (fragile w/ little baseball life to give..)
2. Jared Goedert (AA/AAA is his best.. Limited ability will take it's toll)
3. Matt LaPorta (he's lost & whatever he had no longer exists)
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 am

Beau Mills - builds upon last year's rebound season and re-establishes himself as a legit ML option
Alex Lavisky - shows offensive side that had a lot of us excited last spring (before his Lake County demise)
TJ House - makes jump to AA in June

Not predicting any busts.....basically because I don't want to. :twisted
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Just breakouts, I don't like predicting failures:

Jake Lowery
Robel Garcia
Jordan Smith
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Put me in the bounce back camp with this list:
Rob Bryson
Alexander Perez
Nick Weglarz

IF (& I mean) IF these guys can stay healthy, I think they will be very productive & reestablish themselves in the Tribe plans moving forward.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Three Up
Bryson Myles
Francisco Lindor
Tony Wolters

Three Down
Jesus Aguilar
Ronny Rodriguez
Alex Lavisky
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm

What on earth did Jesus Agiyar do to get on anybody's bust list?

3 UP
1. Jesus Agiyar - way up
2. Austin Adams
3. Scott Barnes

3 on the tightwire
1. Weglarz
2. LaPorta
3. Lavisky
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:What on earth did Jesus Agiyar do to get on anybody's bust list?

3 UP
1. Jesus Agiyar - way up
2. Austin Adams
3. Scott Barnes

3 on the tightwire
1. Weglarz
2. LaPorta
3. Lavisky

Agree with ya on Aggy or Agiyar or Aguilar.... COuld see him not making peoples break out lists but bust list?????

Also putting Lindor on the breakout list is a bit of a cop out don't ya think? Considering he is far and away the #1 prospect in the organization isn't it expected that he will have a nice season? To me if you are putting Lindor on your breakout list considering his present standing in the organization it means he will be knocking on the ML door as early as ST next year.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Jesus Aguilar probably is ending up on a lot of "bust" lists because his game is very one-dimensional right now. If that power fades, he's a non-spec almost overnight. Last year was sort of his "breakout" year....can he continue it or will he flop like Mills did after a solid showing early on....we shall see.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby artgold » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Well, since the site has had a bit of discussion about LeVon Washington I'll make a special mention of him as someone I don't view as a prospect. I wouldn't consider him a bust, since I kind of had doubts since he was drafted, but frankly he reminds me an awful lot of a guy I saw in the Indians camp in Florida back in the early 1990's, the rather well regarded Pat Bryant:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... yant001pat
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Breakouts only, no hating Tribe specs:

1. Jake Sisco
2. Luigi Rodriguez
3. Alex Monsalve

Art took Jake Lowery & Jordan Smith, two of my faves, so I had to get creative. Staying in the middle of the diamond.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:23 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Breakouts only, no hating Tribe specs:

1. Jake Sisco
2. Luigi Rodriguez
3. Alex Monsalve

Art took Jake Lowery & Jordan Smith, two of my faves, so I had to get creative. Staying in the middle of the diamond.

I never mind sharing...
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 pm

artgold wrote:Well, since the site has had a bit of discussion about LeVon Washington I'll make a special mention of him as someone I don't view as a prospect. I wouldn't consider him a bust, since I kind of had doubts since he was drafted, but frankly he reminds me an awful lot of a guy I saw in the Indians camp in Florida back in the early 1990's, the rather well regarded Pat Bryant:

I remember that guy.....he was a highly thought of 2nd rounder....and the same results could be the outcome but both had a nice set of tools....Levon is his own man....here's hoping he can put it all together (I didn't post any down because I hope all Tribe prospects succeed).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:48 am

daingean wrote:
artgold wrote:Well, since the site has had a bit of discussion about LeVon Washington I'll make a special mention of him as someone I don't view as a prospect. I wouldn't consider him a bust, since I kind of had doubts since he was drafted, but frankly he reminds me an awful lot of a guy I saw in the Indians camp in Florida back in the early 1990's, the rather well regarded Pat Bryant:

I remember that guy.....he was a highly thought of 2nd rounder....and the same results could be the outcome but both had a nice set of tools....Levon is his own man....here's hoping he can put it all together (I didn't post any down because I hope all Tribe prospects succeed).

Sure, I agree that each is his own guy. However, I've found that some players, such as Bryant and Jon Nunnally, seemed to have a very similar profile to Washington. These guys were considered to be very "toolsy" with an interesting combination of power potential and speed along with demonstrating a decent batting eye at an early stage of their development.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:37 am

I thought Scott Barnes was having a breakout season last year until he hurt his knee. He looked very impressive in camp and the knee is supposed to be 100%, so I'm going with Barnes as my top breakout candidate.

As for biggest bust, I look for Weglarz to extend his five-year streak. Although I'm pulling for him.

The collective busting of Wegs, LaPorta, and Crowe has led directly to the left field problem we have now. Along with Sizemore completely breaking down before the age of 30, forcing Brantley to move to center.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ClevelandBlues » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Giovanny Urshella-had a mediocre season last year that pushed him off the radar somewhat, still only 20 though, if he can develop some more patience at the plate I could see him breaking out

Nick Weglarz-seems to be healthy now, hopefully he can put it all together

Cody Allen- I could see him moving through the system fast
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:28 am

Well considering his former top status as a prospect - I wouldn't call it a break out season, but Mr Beau Mills is definitely playing at much higher level these days. Call it a comeback/bounceback pick or something like that but if he continues to keep playing the way he has been; going back to the most of the 2011 season and 2012 so far come this summer he might truly be a ML option.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 am

Breakouts:

Levon Washington
Robel Garcia
Jake Cisco
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Breakouts:

Jake Lowery - I just love his power and the fact that he showed it with wooden bats his rookie season.
Lavisky - I still think this kid's got loads of talent and I think he'll show it this season. Tremendous power potential.
Aviles - I think he's ready to start his career.

Busts:

Weglarz - how terribly disappointing he's been. Injuries have certainly robbed him of some abilities.
Washington - hated the pick and he hasn't done anything to prove my feeling wrong.
Bryson - another guy who's been disappointing. He's never been able to stay healthy and I don't think he ever will.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 am

Prosecutor wrote:I thought Scott Barnes was having a breakout season last year until he hurt his knee. He looked very impressive in camp and the knee is supposed to be 100%, so I'm going with Barnes as my top breakout candidate.

As for biggest bust, I look for Weglarz to extend his five-year streak. Although I'm pulling for him.

If this is a competition it looks like I'm the early leader.

Wegs is 0-for-10 at Akron with 7 K's. So much for him being healthy and in great shape.

Barnes went 6 innings, giving up one hit and striking out 7 in his first start.

Kluber struck out 10 hitters in 5 innings, so he's put himself in the running. They say he has the best stuff in the system, just needs to put it all together. Keep an eye on that Columbus staff. Kevin Slowey had a great start so he may be an option for the Indians rotation.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk