RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Player Acquisition Targets for 2012

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Player Acquisition Targets for 2012

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Well.. it looks like the Phillies may be in trouble with second baseman Chase Utley who is experiencing another episode of knee problems. The Indians, with what looks like an excess of infielders capable of playing at the ML level (Kipnis, Donald, Lopez, Phelps) may be a good trade candidate for a trade. The Phillies really like Jason Donald while he was with them.. perhaps they're may still hold him in high regard..

Any ideas on what kind of a trade may be "brewing" here?.. if any? Certainly not Kipnis, but the other three listed could be in play?

With the way the Phillies are handling Dom Brown, he could be available for trade..

Michael Brantley's hamstring injury shows exactly how thin the Indians still are in the OF. We don't know who's starting in LF, and now a backup will be probably playing CF on opening day.

The Indians have to be looking for an OF even before this. We have trade bait in the bullpen, and now the infield with the strong spring from Jose Lopez. I would think Donald and Cord Phelps would be available. I hesitate to say this, but if Hernandez? comes back soon, we could make a SP available.

The Phillies do need an infielder with Utley getting Sizemore Disease. They would be familiar with Donald, so you never know. (If we would turn Donald into a starting OF, the Cliff Lee deal looks better.)

As for Brown or Mayberry, I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't see Mayberry going anywhere now because he plays 1B. The only thing about Brown is that he is another LH bat. It also would be great if we could find an OF that could play CF when needed.

But if we can put together a package, you never know.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 am

This just in, Coco Crisp is unhappy with the A's moving him to LF. Says he was promised CF, and wouldn't have signed with the A's had he known about the move. (Cespedes is now the CF).

Crisp is still good enough to be our starting CF this year. One problem, Crisp is due to make about $7 million this season. (Maybe we could trade the rights to Sizemore.)
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I'd be okay with Crisp, and with Carmo... ehh ... Heredia's restructured contract we might be able to take on his salary. If we'd ask the A's to pay some of it, we'd probably have to part with a young cost controlled player, which I don't think Crisp is worth at the moment.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah money shouldn't be a big issue with Crisp in 2012. You have Heredia's restructered contract as mentioned plus with Grady being hurt and missing 2 months if not more, it's impossible for him to get all his incentives, and heck may not reach any of them at this point. Tribe did show some interest last summer and this winter so maybe they'd make a call to the A's, who went from having virtually no outfielders to an overabunance rather quickly.

One issue here could be the rule preventing you from trading for a newly signed free agent. Can't trade such a player til June 15th...though I think maybe you can if the player agrees? Still could pose some early issues.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:59 am

Ah yes - we are all arm chair G.M's... In "hindsight" some of the proposed trades for B.J Upton, Trumbo, Craig and other assorted players/prospects sound flippin RIDICULOUS now...Also player evaluations/observations are a bit "varied". If yr keeping score, here is your chance.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:22 am

the good stuff starts around page 25
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 am

I wasn't too far off on my assessment of Willingham on page 25, though I didn't read too far past that. I don't want to get myself too depressed.

Willingham was a serious swing and a miss by the FO. Instead of being confident in your LF options for 2013, you go into next offseason looking to fill a massive crater.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Did I say that Nick Hagadone was ready to replace Raffy Perez? Silly of me.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors