RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 am

I figured it was time to start a thread for Spring Training happenings. You can almost smell the fresh cut grass!
(BTW - Did anybody notice the "Player Acquisition Targets" thread got far more replies and views the the one for the entire official 2011 season thread? I'm not sure what that means.) :drinks:

My concern over this spring training is that we have an unusual amount of NRI and STI's. We only have so many spring training games and the first priority is to get the regulars ready. I'm sure there will be "B" games scheduled. But this year I think we can almost field an entire squad of STI's. Some players, plobobly many players, are not going to get a real fair chance. Well, nobody said baseball is fair. I just hope we have a "daily B game".
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

First off... Thanks for starting this thread...

The interest level in baseball as represented by the Target Thread does show the undercurrent of support for the Indians and the fan base.. a very good sign..

The start of spring training begins with the club pretty well set with at least 19 to 20 of the 25 roster spots.. Manny may look at this as a chance to give his regulars a slow start in spring followed by ramping up as opening day starts. The guys on the "bubble", on the other hand, have to come to camp raring to go so they can get on the fast track. If they're not performing, they'll find less and less chances as camp proceeds.

Areas that should be considered battle grounds:

First Base
Third Base
Utility Infielder
Fourth Outfielder
Fifth man in the rotation
Seventh man in the pen

There are lots of candidates for each of these spots.. so, let the games within the games begin !!... :clapping:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am

Spring Training: :drinks:

Now is the Winter of our Discontent made Glorious Summer by these Sons of Cuyahoga.

Living in Georgia now but I remember the endless winters in Toledo as a boy. So when my Dad told me one February that winter was almost over because Spring Training had started, every year after that Spring Training meant the end of winter. Even after I moved to Florida as a kid it still cheered me up.

Play Ball! :clapping:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

I think it will be an interesting battle to see how the final bench spot is filled.
The more I look at it, I come to doubt Chis makes the team out of spring training.
I also think that Shelly Duncan better be ready to go to war on a daily basis. Spilbroughs and Canzler will be making a push and I think position versatility will play a HUGE role on who gets kept.

1 other factor is who is already on the 40 man. Some of these various arms and spring training invites are not on the 40 man and if they are to get onto the club for opening day, then somehow they have to get added (and those spots from the 60 day DL usage will get taken quick).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Has anyone heard anything on Jon Garland? I'm hearing his milb deal might have fallen through. Don't know why.

Too bad if true. I realize he might not be ready be the start of the season, but vet SP are always useful.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Has anyone heard anything on Jon Garland? I'm hearing his milb deal might have fallen through. Don't know why.

Too bad if true. I realize he might not be ready be the start of the season, but vet SP are always useful.

The only information that's been posted that I could find said the following:

"...The two sides agreed to a minor league contract least week but as of Sunday final details of the deal were still being worked out.
Garland was expected to have a physical Monday in Arizona. That appears unlikely now and no update on his status is expected until later in the week..."

Link: http://gantdaily.com/2012/02/20/indians ... t-details/

That was as of this morning...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:Has anyone heard anything on Jon Garland? I'm hearing his milb deal might have fallen through. Don't know why.

Too bad if true. I realize he might not be ready be the start of the season, but vet SP are always useful.

The only information that's been posted that I could find said the following:

"...The two sides agreed to a minor league contract least week but as of Sunday final details of the deal were still being worked out.
Garland was expected to have a physical Monday in Arizona. That appears unlikely now and no update on his status is expected until later in the week..."

Link: http://gantdaily.com/2012/02/20/indians ... t-details/

That was as of this morning...


Hearing it's a health issue.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 am

One of the early observations from Goodyear Park is a photo of Asdrubal Cabrera doing some running with the comments: "Maybe a long term extension wasn't a great idea..", "Looks like Asdrubal spent the winter at the Miggy Cabrera Training Complex..", "Looks like he ate Miggy.."

No doubt about it.. Asdrubal looks a bit portly in the photo...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby daingean » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 am

GeronimoSon wrote:One of the early observations from Goodyear Park is a photo of Asdrubal Cabrera doing some running with the comments: "Maybe a long term extension wasn't a great idea..", "Looks like Asdrubal spent the winter at the Miggy Cabrera Training Complex..", "Looks like he ate Miggy.."

No doubt about it.. Asdrubal looks a bit portly in the photo...


They were saying the same thing about Chipper Jones on the radio this morning......new meaning to Fat Tuesday
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Apparently Christian Guzman is taking a physical with the Indians today per Tom Withers of yahoo sports on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:First off... Thanks for starting this thread...

The interest level in baseball as represented by the Target Thread does show the undercurrent of support for the Indians and the fan base.. a very good sign..

The start of spring training begins with the club pretty well set with at least 19 to 20 of the 25 roster spots.. Manny may look at this as a chance to give his regulars a slow start in spring followed by ramping up as opening day starts. The guys on the "bubble", on the other hand, have to come to camp raring to go so they can get on the fast track. If they're not performing, they'll find less and less chances as camp proceeds.

Areas that should be considered battle grounds:

First Base
Third Base
Utility Infielder
Fourth Outfielder
Fifth man in the rotation
Seventh man in the pen

There are lots of candidates for each of these spots.. so, let the games within the games begin !!... :clapping:


Agree except for here. Kotchman is the 1B unless hurt. Really has no competition. 2B and the even LF are more of a battleground position.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:One of the early observations from Goodyear Park is a photo of Asdrubal Cabrera doing some running with the comments: "Maybe a long term extension wasn't a great idea..", "Looks like Asdrubal spent the winter at the Miggy Cabrera Training Complex..", "Looks like he ate Miggy.."

No doubt about it.. Asdrubal looks a bit portly in the photo...


This is a big worry with Cabrera. He did the same thing prior to the 2010 season coming in out of shape and struggled even before the injury.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Manny Acta has already said something newsworthy in Goodyear. Apparently, Carlos Santana will be the DH when he is not catching. That put's a crimp in some of the lineups we have been penciling in. Most of us thought Carlos would be at 1B against LHP.

That tells me a couple of things.
1. Manny values Kotchman's defense at 1B very highly. If he is as good as advertised, he may be able to save 1 out about every 2 games. If he can, that would be huge for the pitching staff.
2. Manny may also be getting us ready for "life after Hafner". Pronk has gone from originally a slugging 1B, to a DH only, to a DH only that can only produce vs. RHP only. If we fall out of contention, he could be a trade candidate by mid-season.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Manny Acta has already said something newsworthy in Goodyear. Apparently, Carlos Santana will be the DH when he is not catching. That put's a crimp in some of the lineups we have been penciling in. Most of us thought Carlos would be at 1B against LHP.

That tells me a couple of things.
1. Manny values Kotchman's defense at 1B very highly. If he is as good as advertised, he may be able to save 1 out about every 2 games. If he can, that would be huge for the pitching staff.
2. Manny may also be getting us ready for "life after Hafner". Pronk has gone from originally a slugging 1B, to a DH only, to a DH only that can only produce vs. RHP only. If we fall out of contention, he could be a trade candidate by mid-season.


-A good move to keep Carlos FOCUSED on being a catcher.. The downside would be for a single game.. If Santana is the DH that day & Marson is catching and is injured.. the Indians lose the DH for that day.. oh well..
-Life after PRONK is a chapter that has yet to be written..
-Kotchman's defense around 1B (saving 1/2 run a game).. seems like hyperbole..

Everyone except BOB is in camp.. so, let the battles begin !
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:47 pm

I guess this can go under the Spring Training comments...Indians apparently working on a trade to deal Kelvin De La Cruz

Kind of hoped to see him and Hagadone in the Indians bullpen together someday. Oh well, hope nothing but the best for KDLC
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:I guess this can go under the Spring Training comments...Indians apparently working on a trade to deal Kelvin De La Cruz

Kind of hoped to see him and Hagadone in the Indians bullpen together someday. Oh well, hope nothing but the best for KDLC


Traded to Texas for cash considerations.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:I guess this can go under the Spring Training comments...Indians apparently working on a trade to deal Kelvin De La Cruz

Kind of hoped to see him and Hagadone in the Indians bullpen together someday. Oh well, hope nothing but the best for KDLC


Traded to Texas for cash considerations.


Jeez....didn't think he was worth that little.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Edible14 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:I guess this can go under the Spring Training comments...Indians apparently working on a trade to deal Kelvin De La Cruz

Kind of hoped to see him and Hagadone in the Indians bullpen together someday. Oh well, hope nothing but the best for KDLC


Traded to Texas for cash considerations.


Jeez....didn't think he was worth that little.


Well, he was DFA'd and the Rangers had an open spot. I'm guessing this was one of those "we're claiming him, but to avoid a hassle we'll call this a trade" scenarios.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby daingean » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
That tells me a couple of things.
1. Manny values Kotchman's defense at 1B very highly. If he is as good as advertised, he may be able to save 1 out about every 2 games. If he can, that would be huge for the pitching staff.


Kotchman's defense is good but not great. More dependable than slick. Good at scooping poor throws but less on taking away doubles down the line.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 am

Pretty decent article about Derek Lowe at Ohio.com regarding his 'difficulties' in Atlanta, especially down the stretch in 2011. Here's the link: http://www.ohio.com/sports/new-tribe-pi ... k-1.266083
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Pretty decent article about Derek Lowe at Ohio.com regarding his 'difficulties' in Atlanta, especially down the stretch in 2011. Here's the link: http://www.ohio.com/sports/new-tribe-pi ... k-1.266083


Actually looking forward to seeing how Lowe does for the Tribe, as I'm sure everyone is. He's not here to win 20 games but he's certainly capable of putting forth a solid season. Still likely he's not even a moderate upgrade over "Fausto" Heredia. Time will tell I suppose
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby daingean » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Pretty decent article about Derek Lowe at Ohio.com regarding his 'difficulties' in Atlanta, especially down the stretch in 2011. Here's the link: http://www.ohio.com/sports/new-tribe-pi ... k-1.266083


Actually looking forward to seeing how Lowe does for the Tribe, as I'm sure everyone is. He's not here to win 20 games but he's certainly capable of putting forth a solid season. Still likely he's not even a moderate upgrade over "Fausto" Heredia. Time will tell I suppose


I watched Lowe a lot last year. He can still get guys out at the ML level. Last year he would breeze through 3 or 4 innings then suddenly lose it. Usually sinker ball guys get better as the game progresses but not last year for Derek. Some of his issues could have resulted from his DUI arrest (which was dismissed) but a change of scenery may help him and he's in a contract year (which he has excelled with during the past). He could be a solid #4/#3 and at worst a #5.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Edible14 wrote:Well, he was DFA'd and the Rangers had an open spot. I'm guessing this was one of those "we're claiming him, but to avoid a hassle we'll call this a trade" scenarios.


Yep.

Whenever you see a guy that was DFAed get traded for "cash considerations", 99 times out of 100 it is because the team that DFAed the player was fielding calls from teams interested in trading for the player, which is a tell tale sign he would not clear waivers when put on (DFAed played are not immediately put on waivers). So, the Indians knew De La Cruz would not clear waivers so it is simply a move to avoid paying the waiver fee and get some money. Teams do this all the time. He had little value in a trade, but rather than just letting him get claimed they were able to trade him and save (make) some money.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Well... Sizemore's injured ALREADY.. hurt his back fielding grounders two weeks ago. Out for Opening Day.

No timetable for return and shut down from all baseball activities.

In other news... I woke up and put my socks on this morning like always.
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby ClevelandBlues » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

So if Sizemore is out, I wonder who the third starting outfielder will be? Cunningham, Duncan, Carrera or someone else?
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, here we go. Sounds like a serious injury to Sizemore.If he was injured 2 weeks ago, and they are already calling him out of the opener.

Plan B starts February 24th. Good news for a guy like Canzler.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:11 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Well, here we go. Sounds like a serious injury to Sizemore.If he was injured 2 weeks ago, and they are already calling him out of the opener.

Plan B starts February 24th. Good news for a guy like Canzler.


To me, this means Cunningham starts in LF Opening Day and it opens the door for Spilborghs.
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm not gonna say I predicted this, because I didn't....but I did expect it. This is why all the OF's were brought in on spring invites. Cunningham and Spilborghs both stand to gain from this IMO. Can always throw Shelley Duncan out there once or twice a week with Brantley possibly and likely taking over center a majority of the time.

Maybe even Matt LaPorta stands to gain from this? Eh, probably not....
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Pencil in Brantley as your CF for the forseeable future. A platoon sort of deal with Duncan/Cunningham in LF. With that said - Donald maybe yr opening day CF? Agree with most the Spilborghs (assuming Grady is DL'd) could really be the one to captialize now. Will be surprised if Brantley is not the guy, maybe a trade (unlikely) but with spring training about to start could not ask for a better time to give Donald looks at CF/OF.

E.Z - Pie Crowe are our best other CF options. With EZ by far the leader of the pack.

Already injured. Just heal Grady please - do anything but rush back.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby ClevelandBlues » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 pm

If they are serious about giving Donald time in the outfield, then I think the Sizemore injury could possibly open the door for Lopez or Guzman. If they decide to keep Donald as a utility infielder, then it is pretty wide open.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Hey guys, it's Grady! If you were not prepared for the possibility, even the likelihood, that this would happen then your optimism is off the charts. The best thing that can probably be said is the the Tribe will likely only waste $5M on Sizemore than $9M. Sure wish the Indians had spent $1M on Fukudome rather than Sizemore. But I understand why even if I wasn't in favor. Maybe we can hope he will be back better than ever. Not sure I could pick a replacement all that intelligently right now. Really should let the competition of ST make that choice. Unless he comes apart in ST, seems like Cunningham is probably on the 25. Zeke could probably compete defensively with Cunningham and maybe they platoon. Tough choices!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Guy I work with who knows I'm a Tribe fan told me about Grady, but the guy told me that Grady injured his vagina.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Hey guys, it's Grady! If you were not prepared for the possibility, even the likelihood, that this would happen then your optimism is off the charts. The best thing that can probably be said is the the Tribe will likely only waste $5M on Sizemore than $9M. Sure wish the Indians had spent $1M on Fukudome rather than Sizemore. But I understand why even if I wasn't in favor. Maybe we can hope he will be back better than ever. Not sure I could pick a replacement all that intelligently right now. Really should let the competition of ST make that choice. Unless he comes apart in ST, seems like Cunningham is probably on the 25. Zeke could probably compete defensively with Cunningham and maybe they platoon. Tough choices!

I'm hoping that Shelley Duncan gets a shot at the regular LF job. I'd like to see what he could do with regular PT.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:05 pm

..Indians pitcher Derek Lowe has strong interest in returning to the Red Sox after this season as a starter or reliever. Cafardo writes that the veteran could have been an interesting solution as the BoSox's fourth or fifth starter, but picking up a large chunk his salary from the Braves didn't interest Boston..


Why would a pitcher on the Indians make a comment like this to Cafardo?.. strong interest?.. WTF?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:41 pm

How can a professional athlete (C. Perez) injure himself in the first bullpen session of the year? The trainer said Perez wasn't "ready for the intensity" of the bullpen session. It was the infamous oblique muscle. The Indians reportedly studied that injury after last season.

You would think with all the injuries last season the Indians would issue everybody an off season conditioning program. As a reward to Perez, I think the Indians should give his job to Pestano and let him run with it.

(BTW - I've lost all the avatars on the new forum. Do I need to change a setting? Or is this a bug that will correct itself.)
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
..Indians pitcher Derek Lowe has strong interest in returning to the Red Sox after this season as a starter or reliever. Cafardo writes that the veteran could have been an interesting solution as the BoSox's fourth or fifth starter, but picking up a large chunk his salary from the Braves didn't interest Boston..


Why would a pitcher on the Indians make a comment like this to Cafardo?.. strong interest?.. WTF?...


I doubt that if anything was said it was more along the lines of "Yes, I'd play in Boston again"

Cafardo has a habbit of naming random former Red Sox as "likely trade targets" whenever the Sox have a need to fill. He's named Justin Masterson at least 4 times as a target the Sox have in mind since he was dealt to the Indians.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:31 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:How can a professional athlete (C. Perez) injure himself in the first bullpen session of the year? The trainer said Perez wasn't "ready for the intensity" of the bullpen session. It was the infamous oblique muscle. The Indians reportedly studied that injury after last season.

You would think with all the injuries last season the Indians would issue everybody an off season conditioning program. As a reward to Perez, I think the Indians should give his job to Pestano and let him run with it.


Anyone can get injured at anytime, that statement by Soloff is just retarded. Pestano can sneeze tomorrow and pull a muscle in his back and strain his ribcage.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:03 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:How can a professional athlete (C. Perez) injure himself in the first bullpen session of the year? The trainer said Perez wasn't "ready for the intensity" of the bullpen session. It was the infamous oblique muscle. The Indians reportedly studied that injury after last season.

You would think with all the injuries last season the Indians would issue everybody an off season conditioning program. As a reward to Perez, I think the Indians should give his job to Pestano and let him run with it.

(BTW - I've lost all the avatars on the new forum. Do I need to change a setting? Or is this a bug that will correct itself.)


Basically, in a bullpen session Perez was supposed to be going 50-75 percent, he went 100 percent.. there being the problem. I played baseball a number of years and trained the same way. If your body isn't accustomed to the riggers of baseball for a few months, you can easily pull something if you try going full stride in your first few workouts.

That said, at least he's not Joel Zumaya... thew 13 pitches in his first bullpen session and tore his UCL.. Tommy John surgery upcoming.
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby ironmike » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Sizemore's injury will keep Chris Antonetti involved in the trade market. This team still needs an impact RH hitter with intangilbles to play the OF. Although, if Swisher could be pried away from the Yankees, he's works well. Using these fill players we signed over the winter as regulars doesn't match up with the philosophy of getting to the playoffs. The players being mentioned here are role players at best.

We may not get the player before spring training, but we will get a bat by the deadline.
User avatar
ironmike
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Edible14 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 am

A.Zajac wrote:That said, at least he's not Joel Zumaya... thew 13 pitches in his first bullpen session and tore his UCL.. Tommy John surgery upcoming.


Fark had a headline about Zumaya last year that went "For approximately the fourth time in Joel Zumaya's career we learn the human arm is not intended to throw 102 mph regularly". I guess make that fifth time.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 am

It blows my mind that a professional major league pitcher would show up for spring training, not having pitched in winter ball, and start throwing 100% on the first day. Perez is an idiot. He stated that throwing at 75% is a waste of his time. Well, what do you call taking 4-6 weeks off because he went out too hard too fast?

Hopefully, he won't re-injure it coming back too early. These oblique injuries are like hammies - easy to re-injure if you're not patient enough.

The good news is we get to see what Vinnie can do as a closer if CP isn't ready by Opening Day.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I just saw a video of a press conference from Goodyear with Carlos Baerga. I loved this guy, and I hope the Indians are able to add him to the staff. Baerga enjoyed the game and played that way. He also understood the game. How many times did we see him just stick out his bat and flair a ball to the OF. Those of you too young to remember, you missed one hell of a ballplayer. His career was short, and he may be responsible for that, but he was the heart of the Indians in the early 90's.

I'm glad the Indians are bringing back him, as well as Lofton and Hargrove for ST. I hear they're even working on Albert Belle. Good luck with that.)

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... o_bri.html
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Best comment of the spring (so far) as it relates to the two injured Tribesmen:

Manny Acta: "...“We’re thinking about shutting down camp and taking a three-week vacation”...


Regarding the oblique strain.. they happen.. To claim it's because of aggressiveness or whatever, then answer the question: Why didn't it happen last year?. or the year before? or the year before that?.. CP stated that the way he prepared this year was the same as every other year..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:00 pm

the Chris Perez and Bob Wickman comps look better everyday. Man could CP stand to get into better shape.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 pm

I will be going to Spring Training this year - March 9-13, 1st year I have never gone before and am pretty excited. Living on the west coast makes it hard enough to see the Indians let alone any of the minor league teams. I will probably be here and there but mainly checking out the Indians teams, I hope to see Ronny Rod and Aguilar in particular. So if anyone if anyone else heads out or has some sagely advice let me know.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Image

wow
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Indians annouced a press conference to update status of Grady Sizemore....does not sound good. Matt Underwood spoke on STO today that he believes Grady has been dealing with a back issue for sometime, which makes you wonder.

The fact that they're holding the conference brings up a lot of scenarios, surgery or even retirement (doubtful)...my personal belief is he's heading to back surgery and as someone who's had back surgery for spinal stenosis, I fear Grady's career is in fact finished.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Back surgery. Out 8-12 weeks.
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Back surgery. Out 8-12 weeks.


So calender wise that means he could be back anywhere from early May to June. I do feel bad for Grady, but the Indians must move on to whatever Plan B is.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Spring Training Comments and Conversation

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:17 pm

If there's any good news out of today, Chris Perez is said to be doing well and progressing.
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron