Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Carolina Mudcats

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Carolina Mudcats

Postby muddie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am

Greetings to all on the board, I am new here. Now that the Carolina Mudcats are the High A affiliate of the Indians, I thought I would create an account and hang around. I live 25 minutes from the Mudcats' park and am a pretty big fan.

The Cleveland Indians extended their current PDA with the Carolina Mudcats for two more years yesterday. This will keep the former Kinston affiliate in the Carolina League through 2014. Barring some unforeseen circumstance, I see no reason the Indians won't be here for longer than that.

The Carolina Mudcats are located in Zebulon, N.C. and have been AA level until this year. The Mudcats have been in Zebulon 21 years.

Look forward to learning a lot from you guys.
muddie
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Carolina Mudcats

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Welcome aboard!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby muddie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Edwin Rodriquez will be the Manager. Scott Erickson will be the Pitching Coach. And what I am hearing is that Scooter Tucker will be the Hitting Coach.
muddie
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Very excited to get to Carolina this year....I'll be there for the home opening weekend the first week of April.

The coaching staff is VERY interesting. All new coaches in the org, and lots of big league experience all over the place.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby muddie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm

The Indians will visit Carolina on April 3rd to play an exhibition game at 2:00 P.M. Great way to kick off the affiliation.
muddie
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:00 am

muddie wrote:Greetings to all on the board, I am new here. Now that the Carolina Mudcats are the High A affiliate of the Indians, I thought I would create an account and hang around. I live 25 minutes from the Mudcats' park and am a pretty big fan.

The Cleveland Indians extended their current PDA with the Carolina Mudcats for two more years yesterday. This will keep the former Kinston affiliate in the Carolina League through 2014. Barring some unforeseen circumstance, I see no reason the Indians won't be here for longer than that.

The Carolina Mudcats are located in Zebulon, N.C. and have been AA level until this year. The Mudcats have been in Zebulon 21 years.

2 things:
1) welcome aboard
2) how does the park play - Does it tend to favor pitching or hitting? Does it favor righties or lefties?

I look forward to your responses.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby muddie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
muddie wrote:Greetings to all on the board, I am new here. Now that the Carolina Mudcats are the High A affiliate of the Indians, I thought I would create an account and hang around. I live 25 minutes from the Mudcats' park and am a pretty big fan.

2 things:
1) welcome aboard
2) how does the park play - Does it tend to favor pitching or hitting? Does it favor righties or lefties?

I look forward to your responses.

couple of things regarding the park...

Three years ago the field and drainage system were relaced in its entirety. The field in Kinston (Grainger Stadium) was considered one of the best playing surfaces around so the team will not lose anything as far as field conditions are concerned by moving here. During the field replacement here (cost @$800,000 at the time) the right field wall was lowered for several feet toward center field from the right field line.

My own opinion is that the park is relatively neutral when comparing pitchers advantage to hitters advantage. If I had to lean one way or another I would say a hitter's advantage. Not to get retro here, but the Reds AA team has been here the past three years and they (we) had the worst ERA in the Southern League, above 5.00 in 2011. I may have a skewd perception based on last year. I followed Kinston last year a bit kowing they would be the Mudcats this year and I am confident the Mudcats pitching staff will be improved this year.
Oddly, my opinion is that righties have more success in Five County Stadium. Note, I attend a fair amount of games here a season and am drawing largely on memory and impressions.

I see where Tony plans to be down for the opening series. I think that is great and encourage anyone on here to give me a heads up if you're getting down this way, I'd like to shake hands and get to know some of you guys. There were somee real diehard fans in the Cincy chain and I was glad to meet some guys from Ohio and elsewhere then. As I am new to the board I imagine some of you guys have been to Kinston in the past. We're only about an hour from there. If I can be helpful in any way let me know. I'm actually warming to the idea of being a Tribe affiliate. I'll see the AA team in Richmond, Columbus in Durham, and may hit the road for Lake County one day. My wife and I did a couple of road trips with the Mudcats last year.
muddie
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Indians Prospect Talk