RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Thome signs with the Phillies

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Thome signs with the Phillies

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 am

Jim Thome actually gets a raise to $1.25 million to pinch hit for the Phillies in 2012. At least I hope it's to pinch hit. I know Ryan Howard will be out for awhile, but Thome hasn't played 1B since 2005.

So much for bowing out gracefully. I remember watching Willie Mays play for the Mets, and it wasn't pretty.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Thome signs with the Phillies

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:31 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Jim Thome actually gets a raise to $1.25 million to pinch hit for the Phillies in 2012. At least I hope it's to pinch hit. I know Ryan Howard will be out for awhile, but Thome hasn't played 1B since 2005.

So much for bowing out gracefully. I remember watching Willie Mays play for the Mets, and it wasn't pretty.

Thome came out and said he plans to play the field and seems to be a platoon with mayberry
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:53 am

It's like ground hog day... It's happening all over again! :pardon:

Reportedly (mlbtraderumors) The Phillies are in on Michael Cuddyer to play some OF and 1B. Thome and Cuddyer are friends btw.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ACrank » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:54 pm

1) wasn't there a story at the time of the Twins trading Thome to Cleveland, that he didn't want to go to Cleveland - because he preferred to go back to Philly?

2) even on a part time platoon basis - i can't see Thome being able to play a defensive position and play it well....
ACrank
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Jim Thome actually gets a raise to $1.25 million to pinch hit for the Phillies in 2012. At least I hope it's to pinch hit. I know Ryan Howard will be out for awhile, but Thome hasn't played 1B since 2005.

Thome made $3M last year, so not a raise. But yeah I think him trying to play there could be a sad thing to watch.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:30 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:It's like ground hog day... It's happening all over again! :pardon:

Reportedly (mlbtraderumors) The Phillies are in on Michael Cuddyer to play some OF and 1B. Thome and Cuddyer are friends btw.

Wonder if the Phillies were to land Cuddyer if Mayberry could be available (or at least moreso). While Cuddyer obviously could play 1B while Howard is out, I'm assuming they wouldn't pay him to sit on the bench once Howard is back and he'd shift out to LF full-time, making Mayberry a redundant RH bat on the bench with Ben Francisco.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:It's like ground hog day... It's happening all over again! :pardon:

Wonder if the Phillies were to land Cuddyer if Mayberry could be available (or at least moreso). While Cuddyer obviously could play 1B while Howard is out, I'm assuming they wouldn't pay him to sit on the bench once Howard is back and he'd shift out to LF full-time, making Mayberry a redundant RH bat on the bench with Ben Francisco.

The Phillies are said to be looking at moving the "Flyin Hawaiian" and the Indians are allegedly interested. That may have been a Yarkbarker or Bleacher Report story..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:43 pm

It was indeed a story from the Yardbarker.

Victorino would certainly fill a hole, but I'm afraid he will be very pricey.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:17 pm

If given the choice between Upton or Victorino, without taking salary or prospects/ML talent exchange into account, I'd take Victorino in a heartbeat.

Though, I can't see Victorino coming cheap at all. The guy was worth nearly 6 wins last year, plays a good defensive CF, and compared to Upton, is more of a sure thing offensively.

Victorino is going to be more expensive than Sizemore would have been next year, too. 9.5 MIL vs. approximately 7.5 MIL for Upton, plus prospect exchange... going to be a tough decision for the Indians, especially since both options are only going to be 1 year rentals.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 pm

JP_Frost wrote:It was indeed a story from the Yardbarker.

Agree, he'd fill a need (always hits lefties well, plays good defense) but will be very pricey. Will be interesting though if they lose Ryan Madson if they'd have interest in Chris Perez. Lots of closers on the market, but if they do sign a guy like Cuddyer (and bring back Rollins) they could look to go cheaper/move salary to get a closer (though they have the means to expand payroll probably).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 pm

According a report, Omar Vizquel may be joining Thome in Philly.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:It was indeed a story from the Yardbarker.

Agree, he'd fill a need (always hits lefties well, plays good defense) but will be very pricey. Will be interesting though if they lose Ryan Madson if they'd have interest in Chris Perez. Lots of closers on the market, but if they do sign a guy like Cuddyer (and bring back Rollins) they could look to go cheaper/move salary to get a closer (though they have the means to expand payroll probably).

The key to the Phillies off season is clearly tied to their decision on J-Roll. The 'availability" of Victorino is tied to the payroll figure the Phillies are attempting to keep. By moving Victorino, the Phillies save $ 9.5 MM. Adding that to the expected J-Roll salary requirements, the Phillies would make his resigning "revenue neutral", perhaps even lowering the Phillies payroll number by as much as $ 5 MM, depending on how much J-Roll actually signs for.

Using these financial values as a measuring stick & with the expected salary level projected for CP (~ as high as $ 4 MM), if the Phillies are willing to pay half or a bit more than that of Victorino's contract, then the Indians should be interested in the trade.

imho, this isn't a very good trade for the Indians. One year rentals make little sense, even with the performance expected from the Flyin Hawaiian...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors