Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Scouting Videos

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Scouting Videos

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:51 am

Tony, I love the scouting videos. The videos really give you a glance at these guys who are, to me, mostly statistics and scouting reports. If I get to 3 MiLB games a season, that's good for me.

BTW, does anybody else thin Scott Barnes has a funky delivery. It seems like a semi-hesitation pitch. Looks complicated. Not sure I like it.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Scouting Videos

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Tony, I love the scouting videos. The videos really give you a glance at these guys who are, to me, mostly statistics and scouting reports. If I get to 3 MiLB games a season, that's good for me.

BTW, does anybody else thin Scott Barnes has a funky delivery. It seems like a semi-hesitation pitch. Looks complicated. Not sure I like it.

In a previous thread.. his delivery was described as a series of "stops and starts", "knees, elbows and assholes" while hiding the ball to create superb deception.. Will hitters figure him out?.. Inevitably, a back up player on the Tigers will own him.. but with his stuff and deception combined..he should remain effective for a long time..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:11 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Tony, I love the scouting videos. The videos really give you a glance at these guys who are, to me, mostly statistics and scouting reports. If I get to 3 MiLB games a season, that's good for me.

No problem and thanks. Have a ton coming out over the next few weeks. Shot tons of video all year and now compiling them into one video. Many thanks to Michael T. for the help on this project every year! Will have over 100 I think of these videos for players from 2011.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Tony does a good job with the videos. No question about it.

Barnes has always been a little funky. I've always thought his delivery and arm action were quite similar to Brian Fuentes'. Barnes has more arm speed and longer limbs, looser delivery but is also higher effort. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes moved to the pen in the coming years. I think he could be a pretty wicked lefty out of the pen that offers a different look. He's fun to watch.

Speaking of the videos....volume 8....two guys I never knew about look pretty decent.

The first being Francisco Jimenez, a lefty that pitches very tall for a guy his height -- nice action on his fastball. Still has some delivery stuff to work out, but he looks like a guy that will sniff a 40 man roster in the next 18-24 months as a lefty middle relief guy.

Second, Juan Herrera, 18 year old Dominican SS. This guy doesn't look like a million dollar bonus guy, but he's got athleticism, quickness, good bat speed and swing, and a modest body to grow into. I don't think he's someone to get excited about now, but there is some potential with him. These videos don't show running, throwing or infield actions which are important, but he looks pretty athletic and you can see some offensive potential. If you get a dozen or so Juan Herrera-types, one of them will turn out to be a .285, 15 HR middle infielder in the majors at ages 26 to 29.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:56 am

Lindor looks really good in Tony's new video. Real good. He's added some muscle (not a ton) since high school and his swing looks excellent for someone his age. Very nice. I am very impressed. He looks quite better than he did from his tapes in high school. This doesn't even show his defense (which is supposed to be his best skill), but just by how well and fast twitch his body is you can tell the guy has a lot of middle infield skill. He's always going to be limited in potential b/c his body frame is materially smaller than other guys like Hanley Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Miguel Tejada, etc., but he could still be a very good player.

I don't see these guys regularly in person or anything. I'm just some guy, but Lindor looks like hands down the Indians top prospect.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:00 pm

I too love these vids, living on the west coast it's pretty hard to see these guys otherwise. Lindor looks good (easily our #1 propsect) but one has to love that easy swing of Ronny Rodriguez - hes got some issues for sure but his swing seems pretty effortless, quick and packs quite a punch. Will be interested to see how he does this year - could have a monster season at the plate, lots of K's but that power looks real.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk