RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Arizona Fall League thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2011 Arizona Fall League thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Did not see a thread for this, so will start one up.

Indians now have 7 pitchers slated to go to the AFL as Preston Guilmet, Cory Burns, and Rob Bryson were both added. No position players.....though that could still change. I still think there is an outside chance Bellows will be added later.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: 2011 Arizona Fall League thread

Postby TexasMom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:06 am

Who are the other 4 pitchers for the Fall League?
TexasMom
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:06 am

TexasMom wrote:Who are the other 4 pitchers for the Fall League?

Matt Packer, TJ McFarland, Tyler Sturdevant, and Austin Adams.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:41 am

TonyIPI wrote:

Is Packer confirmed? Only ask because he's not listed on the AFL roster yet (the other 6 are).

Little surprised if he is going (not saying you're wrong, you're probably right). But Packer is already near 170 innings this year after 132 last year. Pretty decent jump and 169.1 IP seems like a good number to allow him to even go 180-190 next year if by some stretch he makes it to the bigs and is starting late September/October.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:32 am

Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

Is Packer confirmed? Only ask because he's not listed on the AFL roster yet (the other 6 are).

Little surprised if he is going (not saying you're wrong, you're probably right). But Packer is already near 170 innings this year after 132 last year. Pretty decent jump and 169.1 IP seems like a good number to allow him to even go 180-190 next year if by some stretch he makes it to the bigs and is starting late September/October.

Still a bit surprised at the list. Didn't they shut down Adams because of his innings? McFarland has already pitched a lot of innings. Would have thought they would go with the guys who missed time because of injury like De La and Stowell . I don't know of any requirement to have starters but it seems to be a better use of some of our better pitching prospects. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am

Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

Packer was part of the original four the Indians put on the team, and even had him in a press release and he even said he was going. But interesting he no longer is listed.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Talked to Atkins.....Packer and Adams are not going to the AFL. The roster is going to be pretty fluid and is not set. Fedroff and Roberto Perez are going and they are still working on who the third position player will be. They were going to send Thomas Neal, but there are some health issues.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 am

Nice piece on Jake Lowery, Tony. He is an exciting prospect.

Does Lowery go to high A and share the catching job with Monsalve with Lavisky returning to Lake County in 2012?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Talked to Atkins.....Packer and Adams are not going to the AFL. The roster is going to be pretty fluid and is not set. Fedroff and Roberto Perez are going and they are still working on who the third position player will be. They were going to send Thomas Neal, but there are some health issues.

Any word on why they are not going now? I'd guess innings but just curious
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:36 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Nice piece on Jake Lowery, Tony. He is an exciting prospect.

Does Lowery go to high A and share the catching job with Monsalve with Lavisky returning to Lake County in 2012?

Thanks. Yeah, I think Lowery is a lock for High-A Carolina next year to start the season. Monsalve looks like a sure bet too, though I think a very small chance he could return to Lake County at least to start the season in order to get more seasoning. But I'd bet on a Lowery/Monsalve tandem in Carolina to start.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Talked to Atkins.....Packer and Adams are not going to the AFL. The roster is going to be pretty fluid and is not set. Fedroff and Roberto Perez are going and they are still working on who the third position player will be. They were going to send Thomas Neal, but there are some health issues.

Any word on why they are not going now? I'd guess innings but just curious

Yeah, workload reasons for both. They decided that with the amount of innings they pitched this year and how good of a year both had that it best to just shut them down until next year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:09 am

Jesus Aguilar has resumed his power numbers from the regular season in the AFL. 2 HRs and 6 RBIs in two games. Not bad for a prospect who had a little more than a month of A+ playing against AA and above players. It looks to me like he has 29 HRs this year including the playoffs and AFL in less than a full ML season. Wouldn't surprise me if he is promoted early next year to Akron.

McFarland and Fedroff had nice games as well. Our contingent is looking pretty good in the early going except for Guilmet.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Aguilar is having a very nice 2011 that's for sure. Still only viewed by many as a one tool guy, but that one tool is pretty good.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby toledobuck » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 am

I really am liking the progression and production made this year by Jesus Aguilar. He is desperately needed in our system being a RH bat that can play 1B with good power. This is something that has been non-existent in our system for a long time.

With Aguilar's excellent season progressing through his domination in the AFL, is there any chance that the Tribe is aggressive and pushes Jesus to start next season in Akron?
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 am

toledobuck wrote:I really am liking the progression and production made this year by Jesus Aguilar. He is desperately needed in our system being a RH bat that can play 1B with good power. This is something that has been non-existent in our system for a long time.

With Aguilar's excellent season progressing through his domination in the AFL, is there any chance that the Tribe is aggressive and pushes Jesus to start next season in Akron?

The AzFL is for really advanced almost ready guys. Yes I see him at Akron next year and potential in the ML line up in 2013 but a lot can happen. AA is a real proving ground and plenty of guys get sifted out at that level.

Edit: Just read Tony's Spotlight on the main page where it says to expect him to play a majority at AA next year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:32 pm

You have to be liking how Aguilar is playing. I hope he waves at Weglarz as he blows past him on the prospect lists.

Re Tony's article, the org should have someone throw him low & away breaking balls every day so he learns to recognize them. Worked for me when I was in HS.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Aguilar has certainly made everyone's list after his AFL but I don't think we should overlook the performance of McFarland. He is among the AFL leaders in several pitching categories. His performance has made me think he is worthy of 40 protection and moved him into my top 20. There is no shame in being a LHP who throws strikes and ground balls IMO. At his age and size, he may still have some projection left as a SP but he could be a LHR even now IMO.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Our two most successful AFL prospects, Aguilar and McFarland, played today. Aguilar had another routine game going 2 for 4 with a BB and 2Ks and a 2B. Clearly looks like the best 1B prospect in the AFL and it ishard for me to envision his leaving the AFL for winter ball elsewhere. He has played in a lot of games this year and adding another 20-30 games looks like possible burnout to me. McFarland did not have his control today and gave up 5 ER in 3.2 IP. First bad outing of his AFL season and gave up a 3 run HR in his 5 run 3rd. Had 4 BBs and 4 Ks. Tarnished his performance some but still looks like a keeper to me.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Hey Tony or anyone else that knows, I noticed that Moncrief is now in the AFL and have not seen Aguilar for a few days. Has Moncrief replaced Aguilar? Might help explain Aguilar missing the Rising Stars roster which surprised me.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:28 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Hey Tony or anyone else that knows, I noticed that Moncrief is now in the AFL and have not seen Aguilar for a few days. Has Moncrief replaced Aguilar? Might help explain Aguilar missing the Rising Stars roster which surprised me.

Aguilar was at one time listed on a Venezuelan team's winter roster. Can't find the article/post, but thought the plan was to have Aguilar only play half the time in Arizona. Aguilar said he was going back home to Venezuela i thought to play more and work on things. So the fact that Aguilar said himself he'd be playing in Venezuala, and Moncrief is now there...think it's safe to assume your assumption is accurate (though haven't seen Aguilar play/listed in Venzuela yet).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Hey Tony or anyone else that knows, I noticed that Moncrief is now in the AFL and have not seen Aguilar for a few days. Has Moncrief replaced Aguilar? Might help explain Aguilar missing the Rising Stars roster which surprised me.

Aguilar left over the weekend to go home to VZ and will be playing in the next few days there. Moncrief replaced him on the roster. Fedroff was supposed to be there but a minor injury has hampered him so the Indians just decided it best to shut him down and send Moncrief there. Moncrief has certainly had one hell of a busy season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:51 pm

Earlier this week, the NYY's made the decision to cut ties with young Andrew Brackman.. Brackman is a 6'10" 26 year old with a power arm.. The Yankees drafted him & signed him to a Major League contract. Immediately after signing the contract and known to the Yankees, Brackman underwent Tommy John reconstruction surgery on his elbow. Fast forward ahead tor four years later, with the same command issues and having five years of team control and a salary of $ 500 K ( two or three day's pay for ARod) staring Mr Brackman in the face..and the Yankees cut him.. soyanara.. adios.. don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...

Hmm..?..any interest by the Indians in a 26 year old with a first round pedigree as a minor league FA signing with an invite to Spring Training?... :dunno: :dunno:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Earlier this week, the NYY's made the decision to cut ties with young Andrew Brackman.. Brackman is a 6'10" 26 year old with a power arm.. The Yankees drafted him & signed him to a Major League contract. Immediately after signing the contract and known to the Yankees, Brackman underwent Tommy John reconstruction surgery on his elbow. Fast forward ahead tor four years later, with the same command issues and having five years of team control and a salary of $ 500 K ( two or three day's pay for ARod) staring Mr Brackman in the face..and the Yankees cut him.. soyanara.. adios.. don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...

Hmm..?..any interest by the Indians in a 26 year old with a first round pedigree as a minor league FA signing with an invite to Spring Training?... :dunno: :dunno:

signing just about anyone to a minor league deal is a good move IMO. Not sure there's much there with Brackman though. Walk rate was terrible this year and is likely a bullpen guy long-term. Is stretched out as a starter and can rack up K's though...could be a cheap 7th guy in the pen with hopes of a rebound.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby daingean » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 am

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Earlier this week, the NYY's made the decision to cut ties with young Andrew Brackman.. Brackman is a 6'10" 26 year old with a power arm.. The Yankees drafted him & signed him to a Major League contract. Immediately after signing the contract and known to the Yankees, Brackman underwent Tommy John reconstruction surgery on his elbow. Fast forward ahead tor four years later, with the same command issues and having five years of team control and a salary of $ 500 K ( two or three day's pay for ARod) staring Mr Brackman in the face..and the Yankees cut him.. soyanara.. adios.. don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...

signing just about anyone to a minor league deal is a good move IMO. Not sure there's much there with Brackman though. Walk rate was terrible this year and is likely a bullpen guy long-term. Is stretched out as a starter and can rack up K's though...could be a cheap 7th guy in the pen with hopes of a rebound.

If you can, sign him to a minor league deal and let him start at Columbus or Akron. If he can show progress, then he can be a ML option. If not then he is toast.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:42 am

daingean wrote:If you can, sign him to a minor league deal and let him start at Columbus or Akron. If he can show progress, then he can be a ML option. If not then he is toast.

I pass. Can't see this guy being better than anything already here.....and the rotation at Columbus and Akron is already jammed packed as it is. Really no room for a "vet" minor league starter.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:13 am

TonyIPI wrote:
daingean wrote:signing just about anyone to a minor league deal is a good move IMO. Not sure there's much there with Brackman though. Walk rate was terrible this year and is likely a bullpen guy long-term. Is stretched out as a starter and can rack up K's though...could be a cheap 7th guy in the pen with hopes of a rebound.

If you can, sign him to a minor league deal and let him start at Columbus or Akron. If he can show progress, then he can be a ML option. If not then he is toast.

I pass. Can't see this guy being better than anything already here.....and the rotation at Columbus and Akron is already jammed packed as it is. Really no room for a "vet" minor league starter.

That's a tough situation.. having too many 6'10" mid/high 90's fastball throwing right handers is sutcha burden, but, hey, if nothing else, he could be the center on the Indians basketball team during the winter press caravan tour.. How many stops this year.. three?. less than that?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:04 am

GeronimoSon wrote:That's a tough situation.. having too many 6'10" mid/high 90's fastball throwing right handers is sutcha burden, but, hey, if nothing else, he could be the center on the Indians basketball team during the winter press caravan tour.. How many stops this year.. three?. less than that?

The players and agents know of our depth in the upper minors, so starting pitchers will be less inclined to come here because a guaranteed starting spot in AAA can't be promised. So they will look first at other places where they better fit and have a chance to continue pitching. Now, if there are any middle infielders on the open market looking for a good fit and want to sign a minor league deal, the Indians are a good team. A guaranteed spot on the AAA roster and an injury or poor performance away from the bigs.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:That's a tough situation.. having too many 6'10" mid/high 90's fastball throwing right handers is sutcha burden, but, hey, if nothing else, he could be the center on the Indians basketball team during the winter press caravan tour.. How many stops this year.. three?. less than that?

The players and agents know of our depth in the upper minors, so starting pitchers will be less inclined to come here because a guaranteed starting spot in AAA can't be promised. So they will look first at other places where they better fit and have a chance to continue pitching. Now, if there are any middle infielders on the open market looking for a good fit and want to sign a minor league deal, the Indians are a good team. A guaranteed spot on the AAA roster and an injury or poor performance away from the bigs.

I agree with your assessment of the Brackman situation. However, I think the pitching will change a great deal in the next month or so even though Brackman is way overhyped IMO. Rondon's success thus far is encouraging but hardly definitive. Although Rondon won't be rehabbed completely until next year, we may have an overabundance of starters in Columbus that will be trimmed in trade for vets or postion prospects for the Akron wasteland. Before looking for MIs, I think it would be prudent to see how this period goes as well. One way our the other, it looks to me like the 40 will be reduced to 36 by the time prospects are added. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:07 am

Well since we got sidetracked here.........Baseball America's Arizona League top prospect Yoan Alcantara falsified his age so, i guess we can bump our guys up a peg on the list.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Preston Guilmet was able to escape unscathed in last evening's Rising Stars game even though he gave up two hits and a walk.. Interesting pitching style.. very Ubaldo-esque.. Over the top fastball leveraged down was impressive at times.. The off speed pitches still need some refinement, but you can clearly see, he has the ability to be a pen guy in the show... :good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk