Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Nick Weglarz

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Nick Weglarz

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 am

Rocky55 wrote:You have to be liking how Aguilar is playing. I hope he waves at Weglarz as he blows past him on the prospect lists.

Re Tony's article, the org should have someone throw him low & away breaking balls every day so he learns to recognize them. Worked for me when I was in HS.

I hope Weglarz gets healthy and they blow past the lesser hitting prospects in the upper minors. Not much sense in wishing ill to our only LH power potential IMO. My sense is Aguilar has already blown by Weglarz but the team can use all the power and batting eye it can get. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Re: 2011 Arizona Fall League thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 am

When you're evaluating at a player, using an empirical approach in the evaluation usually gives the best objectivity:

Nick Weglarz has reached the tipping point in his quest to become a ML player, or, even a factor as a minor league contributor.. There is no doubt he had the skills to be an impact bat for the Indians, but a series of injuries has all but eliminated his prospect standing. At one point, comp's such as "jim thome-esque" were being lauded.. Those "salad days" are long past leaving only another season of injury and rehabilitation in it's wake.

IF 2012 marks the year Nick Weglarz can actually stay on the field, he could re-ingnite his career. History says, it aint happening.. so we shall see..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:03 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:You have to be liking how Aguilar is playing. I hope he waves at Weglarz as he blows past him on the prospect lists.

Re Tony's article, the org should have someone throw him low & away breaking balls every day so he learns to recognize them. Worked for me when I was in HS.

I hope Weglarz gets healthy and they blow past the lesser hitting prospects in the upper minors. Not much sense in wishing ill to our only LH power potential IMO. My sense is Aguilar has already blown by Weglarz but the team can use all the power and batting eye it can get. :pleasantry:

Not wishing him ill Slinger, just recognizing the fact that you can't count on him. It's a shame, but there it is.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Not wishing him ill Slinger, just recognizing the fact that you can't count on him. It's a shame, but there it is.

Getting a little off topic with Weglarz....I will split this into a new topic...

Yeah, have to wonder about Weglarz's stock at this point. Injuries have ruined his career so far, and this past season was a complete loss. Not only hurt but no performance at Akron. Lots of red flags. Now I am one to believe the performance at Akron had a lot to do with the knee and elbow injuries, but at some point you have to move on. I think it is coming close to that time. No doubt he has the potential to hit for power and draws lots of walks....but the problem right now with him is he is really nothing more than a DH because of the injuries. I mean, I guess he could survive in LF if need be, but you have to wonder what happens to him going forward.....I think he is in serious danger of being outrighted from the 40-man this offseason.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:11 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Not wishing him ill Slinger, just recognizing the fact that you can't count on him. It's a shame, but there it is.

Getting a little off topic with Weglarz....I will split this into a new topic...

Yeah, have to wonder about Weglarz's stock at this point. Injuries have ruined his career so far, and this past season was a complete loss. Not only hurt but no performance at Akron. Lots of red flags. Now I am one to believe the performance at Akron had a lot to do with the knee and elbow injuries, but at some point you have to move on. I think it is coming close to that time. No doubt he has the potential to hit for power and draws lots of walks....but the problem right now with him is he is really nothing more than a DH because of the injuries. I mean, I guess he could survive in LF if need be, but you have to wonder what happens to him going forward.....I think he is in serious danger of being outrighted from the 40-man this offseason.

I would take him off, I mean at this point I would think very good chance he chooses to stay, even if he is taken off the 40 man. No production at all, and health has been such an issue who would draft him
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: Nick Weglarz

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I agree that he is in danger of being DFAed. Would a team really claim him with the injuries/terrible performances? suppose maybe, but agree with Tony that he's looking more and more like a DH...so that limits teh teams that would be interested (Oakland would make sense I guess, or Seattle).

May not come to that if the Tribe decides not to roster as many guys...but still wouldn't get too comfy if the Tribe starts adding pieces in December/January...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:28 pm

jellis wrote:I would take him off, I mean at this point I would think very good chance he chooses to stay, even if he is taken off the 40 man. No production at all, and health has been such an issue who would draft him

As a first time outright he would have no choice but to accept the assignment. So as long as he clears waivers (which looks likely right now), he is property of the Indians in 2012 even if outrighted.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:03 pm

In talking with some folks I know, who know Nick and his family well ...He's in the best shape heading into spring training than he has been in years. He's...hopefully, ready to put this injury bug behind him and have a great season. The Indians, and the entire system would benefit greatly from his re-emergence as a power hitting, high OBP, hitting prospect. Tough to do with a kid his age, but I honeslty think we need to think of him as strictly a DH moving forward. Keep him healthy, and get him AB's this season to have him prepared to take over for Hafner next season.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 am

danh8 wrote:In talking with some folks I know, who know Nick and his family well ...He's in the best shape heading into spring training than he has been in years. He's...hopefully, ready to put this injury bug behind him and have a great season. The Indians, and the entire system would benefit greatly from his re-emergence as a power hitting, high OBP, hitting prospect. Tough to do with a kid his age, but I honeslty think we need to think of him as strictly a DH moving forward. Keep him healthy, and get him AB's this season to have him prepared to take over for Hafner next season.

That's great news... That would be the best 'present' the Indians could hope for..a healthy Nick Weglarz. In order to give Weglarz the most value to the Indians, being able to play a position becomes more useful. DH-only players are becoming more and more scarce, for good reason. The Indians have a club option for Hafner for 2013, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that the Indians retain his services (pick up his option). It will, of course, depend strongly on his 2012 results. Hafner also enters the 2012 season fully healthy and another year removed from his shoulder injury/surgery. This would give the Indians two power hitting LH'ers.

comments... :s_thumbsup
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:59 am

If they haven't done it yet the Indians need to get a personal trainer to work with him on injury prevention. A lot of big, muscle-bound guys are injury prone - Mickey Mantle was a prime example. These guys have tremendous natural strength, so what's needed is less weightlifting and more work on flexibility.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:55 am

Prosecutor wrote:If they haven't done it yet the Indians need to get a personal trainer to work with him on injury prevention. A lot of big, muscle-bound guys are injury prone - Mickey Mantle was a prime example. These guys have tremendous natural strength, so what's needed is less weightlifting and more work on flexibility.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to call for Jobu.. perhaps bribe the gods of health to grant Nick Weglarz good health for the coming/near future?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 am

Prosecutor wrote:If they haven't done it yet the Indians need to get a personal trainer to work with him on injury prevention. A lot of big, muscle-bound guys are injury prone - Mickey Mantle was a prime example. These guys have tremendous natural strength, so what's needed is less weightlifting and more work on flexibility.

I've stopped myself numerous times on this board from posting on how extremely disappointed I've been in the regression of Weglarz' physique, but I can't hold back any longer.

If you've seen Weglarz the last couple of years, he sure as heck has not been muscle-bound. Nothing close to it. Weglzarz has made Phil Mickelson look like Rob Gronkowski compared to him.

Weglarz has let his body go big-time over the last few years. Just my opinion, but it's pretty evident.

Good for him that he's getting back into shape b/c he desperately needs to.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:25 am

OhioBaseball wrote:

I've stopped myself numerous times on this board from posting on how extremely disappointed I've been in the regression of Weglarz' physique, but I can't hold back any longer.

If you've seen Weglarz the last couple of years, he sure as heck has not been muscle-bound. Nothing close to it. Weglzarz has made Phil Mickelson look like Rob Gronkowski compared to him.

Weglarz has let his body go big-time over the last few years. Just my opinion, but it's pretty evident.

In his defense, it's hard to keep in peak shape when your legs are constantly hurt. The guy has spent a lot of time not cleared to play baseball, and I imagine it significantly hampers his ability to workout during that time as well. I imagine that doctors probably aren't keen on letting you run around a whole lot when you're dealing with leg stress fractures, a torn meniscus, etc. Of course, it's hard to keep healthy when you're not in shape.

So, I guess there's at least some room to be optimistic about a big bounceback from him this year.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby danh8 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:32 am

OhioBaseball wrote:

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct. Physically, he has been an absolute mess, and declining the past three years. I knew last year at this time that he was a major injury just waiting to happen. He shouldn't have even have been allowed to walk on the field last spring, to be perfectly honest. But, you can use injuries as an excuse, but that would be a cop out. A large percentage was and is on him to make sure he is fit and ready to play the game, and be responsible enough to work out hard to get your body prepared. He's been lacking in that regard, and it's obvious.

But, I'm hearing he's ready this year ...we'll see soon enough.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:22 am

the other issue I see is outside of his walk rate, his numbers have always been meh. He might hit monster shots, but the rate at which he did it was never great. I just don't see a a guy with an MLB future right now. You can't be sent back to AA and play that bad with no power, He has to crush it this year to hope for a Micheal Aubrey like resurgence, in time you have to develop your skills, and honestly anyone else feel like he is almost the exact same player he was 5 years ago
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk