RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:10 am

Another good outing by Espino, going 5 innings and allowing 4 hits and 1 walk, with 7 K's. No runs allowed.

Kluber in Columbus tonight, on the other hand...

I know I'm a broken record about this, but...
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm

artgold wrote:Another good outing by Espino, going 5 innings and allowing 4 hits and 1 walk, with 7 K's. No runs allowed.

Kluber in Columbus tonight, on the other hand...

I know I'm a broken record about this, but...


yeah definitely a year to forget for Kluber. Going to be intersting to see how the club handles him this offseason.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:40 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Chun Chen left Saturday night's game after taking a ball off his right forearm behind the plate (at least I believe that's what happened, I didn't actually see the play). He remained in the game and then was removed after he had already come out to warm up the pitcher at the start of the next inning. I see he didn't play yesterday, so I'm just guessing that he's day-to-day, but might be something worth keeping an eye on.


Was back behind the plate last night for all 9 innings, so that's a good sign. Added a hit and a walk too :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
artgold wrote:Another good outing by Espino, going 5 innings and allowing 4 hits and 1 walk, with 7 K's. No runs allowed.

Kluber in Columbus tonight, on the other hand...
I know I'm a broken record about this, but...


yeah definitely a year to forget for Kluber. Going to be intersting to see how the club handles him this offseason.


At this point, considering the other pitching depth, I think there is a better chance Kluber is removed from the 40 man roster after the season then either Rondon or de la Cruz.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't disagree with removing Kluber before Rondon or DLC, but what I would be cautious of is making a hurried or rash descision on the matter. Kluber reminds me alot of McCallister who had a similar year last year when aquired from the Yankees. Do you think the Yanks are glad they give up on McCallister? He's big, durable, and has good stuff so I would give him another year to eliminate himself.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby jellis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Chip Davis wrote:I don't disagree with removing Kluber before Rondon or DLC, but what I would be cautious of is making a hurried or rash descision on the matter. Kluber reminds me alot of McCallister who had a similar year last year when aquired from the Yankees. Do you think the Yanks are glad they give up on McCallister? He's big, durable, and has good stuff so I would give him another year to eliminate himself.


Klube doesnt have near the same pedigree and is quite different, Mcallister was good ever year but one and last year was really Klubers first good year. Not really similar at all in terms of where they come from
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 am

I don't see any connection either. McAllister had been pretty dominant throughout his career, despite always being young for his league. He has a larger repertoire and above average control. The only thing that's really ever made Kluber an interesting prospect is his K rate. He's not young, his control is mediocre at best, and he's given up too many hits at pretty much every level. It looks to me like he's simply reached the level where his strikeout rate will no longer hide his many flaws. I will add that McAllister has had some advantage in coming up through more pitching-friendly leagues, but that hardly covers the disparity in their numbers. I wouldn't pause or think twice about dropping Kluber from the 40 when they need a spot, but then I never understood Cleveland's interest in him in the first place.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 am

Chip Davis wrote:I don't disagree with removing Kluber before Rondon or DLC, but what I would be cautious of is making a hurried or rash descision on the matter. Kluber reminds me alot of McCallister who had a similar year last year when aquired from the Yankees. Do you think the Yanks are glad they give up on McCallister? He's big, durable, and has good stuff so I would give him another year to eliminate himself.


Agreed. I'd be surprised if Kluber is removed. Indians feel he may have the best stuff of anyone on that Columbus pitching staff, and another thing that is interesting is he is 3rd in the league in strikeouts. With that stuff and the ability to miss bats, there is potential there. Sometimes injuries or other things can ruin a season for a pitcher, and I think that has been the case with Kluber this year (or at least contributed to it).
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 am

TonyIPI wrote:I'd be surprised if Kluber is removed. Indians feel he may have the best stuff of anyone on that Columbus pitching staff, and another thing that is interesting is he is 3rd in the league in strikeouts. With that stuff and the ability to miss bats, there is potential there. Sometimes injuries or other things can ruin a season for a pitcher, and I think that has been the case with Kluber this year (or at least contributed to it).


Fair enough, Tony, but Kluber isn't just 3rd in the league in strikeouts, he is also 3rd in the league in walks allowed and "worst WHIP". Add in that he turns 26 at the start of next season...
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby nubballguy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:15 pm

artgold wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:I'd be surprised if Kluber is removed. Indians feel he may have the best stuff of anyone on that Columbus pitching staff, and another thing that is interesting is he is 3rd in the league in strikeouts. With that stuff and the ability to miss bats, there is potential there. Sometimes injuries or other things can ruin a season for a pitcher, and I think that has been the case with Kluber this year (or at least contributed to it).


Fair enough, Tony, but Kluber isn't just 3rd in the league in strikeouts, he is also 3rd in the league in walks allowed and "worst WHIP". Add in that he turns 26 at the start of next season...


Kluber = Kane Davis???
nubballguy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:47 pm

artgold wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:I'd be surprised if Kluber is removed. Indians feel he may have the best stuff of anyone on that Columbus pitching staff, and another thing that is interesting is he is 3rd in the league in strikeouts. With that stuff and the ability to miss bats, there is potential there. Sometimes injuries or other things can ruin a season for a pitcher, and I think that has been the case with Kluber this year (or at least contributed to it).


Fair enough, Tony, but Kluber isn't just 3rd in the league in strikeouts, he is also 3rd in the league in walks allowed and "worst WHIP". Add in that he turns 26 at the start of next season...


I was more thinking along the lines of do they consider a move to the bullpen with him vs DFAing him. Has a good arm and can rack up K's. Obviously our rotatoin could use that, but there were scouts saying he was a future middle reliever even before this year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm

DLC back with the Aeros tonight working in relief.

Entered with two runners on in the 6th and struck out the first batter he faced to strand the runners.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:37 am

Hey Tony, not sure he is really ready for AAA but it looks logical to me that Diaz will be moved up to Columbus for the playoffs. Better SS than Valbuena who can move to 2B and keep the UT in reserve. Not sure I see any more except some RPs to replace the ones to move to Columbus. Of course, if we have another SP go down and Carrasco isn't ready, maybe a replacement there.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:26 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Hey Tony, not sure he is really ready for AAA but it looks logical to me that Diaz will be moved up to Columbus for the playoffs. Better SS than Valbuena who can move to 2B and keep the UT in reserve. Not sure I see any more except some RPs to replace the ones to move to Columbus. Of course, if we have another SP go down and Carrasco isn't ready, maybe a replacement there.


Yeah, I think your prediction is a good one. Could definitely see Diaz up to Columbus here soon since Valbuena will likely be added to the Indians roster soon once rosters expand and they need middle infield help.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 am

It might be nothing earth-shattering but I think it's kinda cool that (as opposed to a starting pitcher) 3 of my favorite relief pitching prospects Bryan Price, Rob Bryson, and Bryce Stowell all pitched for Akron tonight combining to go 7 innings with 3 hits, 2 walks, and 8 strikeouts.

Who needs starting pitchers anyways?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:41 am

If Price becomes another good BP arm then that is the "icing on the cake" in the Victor trade.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:15 am

entertheshoe wrote:It might be nothing earth-shattering but I think it's kinda cool that (as opposed to a starting pitcher) 3 of my favorite relief pitching prospects Bryan Price, Rob Bryson, and Bryce Stowell all pitched for Akron tonight combining to go 7 innings with 3 hits, 2 walks, and 8 strikeouts.

Who needs starting pitchers anyways?


Their names are so similar I've never been able to keep them straight. All three could be in Cleveland together at some point, so I'll figure out a way to differentiate when that happens.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby nubballguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:03 am

Haven't seen Adam Miller's name appear in a boxscore for a while now. Yesterday's bullpen by committee start would have been a natural for some innings for him I would have thought. Anyone know what's up with him?
nubballguy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Troybuildfitess » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Chip Davis wrote:If Price becomes another good BP arm then that is the "icing on the cake" in the Victor trade.


Price has been terrible the day he came here. Another non prospect especially with his lame numbers: 33 k's in 52 IPS :s_omg
Troybuildfitess
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Troybuildfitess wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:If Price becomes another good BP arm then that is the "icing on the cake" in the Victor trade.


Price has been terrible the day he came here. Another non prospect especially with his lame numbers: 33 k's in 52 IPS :s_omg


What's wrong with 33 k's in 52 IP's? especially when you are lowering your BAA by twenty points?..

What's wrong with a 24 year olds smooth 3/4 delivery of his fastball that sits between 92-94 mph with a nice tail running in on righties?

What's wrong with his two-seamer that sits around 89-90 mph with run?

What's wrong with his mid 80's slider? Wouldn't you call that pitch a real potential out pitch?

I guess if a reliever doesn't have a 99 mph fastball with movement with absolutely pinpoint command.. then he's only able to put up lame numbers to go with his lame pitching...


BTW....What color is the sky in your world?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Bryan Price had been underwhelming, but was a 1st rd comp(?) pk by the Red Sox for a reason. He does have potential to be a solid ml RP but the odds are stacked against him in Cleveland with the sheer volume of arms they have stock piled in the minors.

Price could (small chance) be pk in the rule 5 draft this winter. He's a guy I believe could find a niche on the right team. While he won't blow ppls doors off he's still a legit arm. Honestly we tribe fans are spoiled with the seriously talented arms in the system. (Lee, Putnam, Judy, Hagadone, Stowell, Bryson) there's several guys pushing for a few spots and all of these guys could potentially become a closer down the road.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:30 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Bryan Price had been underwhelming, but was a 1st rd comp(?) pk by the Red Sox for a reason. He does have potential to be a solid ml RP but the odds are stacked against him in Cleveland with the sheer volume of arms they have stock piled in the minors.

Price could (small chance) be pk in the rule 5 draft this winter. He's a guy I believe could find a niche on the right team. While he won't blow ppls doors off he's still a legit arm. Honestly we tribe fans are spoiled with the seriously talented arms in the system. (Lee, Putnam, Judy, Hagadone, Stowell, Bryson) there's several guys pushing for a few spots and all of these guys could potentially become a closer down the road.

+1 homer!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 am

Regarding the Akron Aeros Season Closing review....

Austin Adams as the pitcher of the year.. well done by AA.. he was a bulldog and a pitcher that should make it to the next step in his career in Columbus.. there are not many issues with AA regarding his near future, but, they could be:

-Mighty Mouse!!: a.k.a., Size/Projection: AA is really a small guy and, because he is right handed, that usually doesn't bode well for most Indians prospects. Alas, the "size of the dog in the fight versus the size of the fight in the dog" analogy seems to be apropos. With his power fastball, he should be considered a top shelf SP candidate going into 2012 and regardless of the below..

-Troubled Waters: This is perhaps the only real issue that I've seen with AA. He doesn't do very well when he's pitching from the set. This takes away from his ability to be a future bullpen option, imho. He loses some velocity and he really loses some of his command when he's not pitching from the full wind up. Perhaps this is why he's in the minors.. It may be something that he will do much better with as time goes on.. but, right now, it's not one of his strengths.. and it needs to be..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:01 pm

nubballguy wrote:Haven't seen Adam Miller's name appear in a boxscore for a while now. Yesterday's bullpen by committee start would have been a natural for some innings for him I would have thought. Anyone know what's up with him?


Simply deactivated. Same with Austin Adams. Both had reached their inning threshold, neither are hurt.

Very successful return for Miller to pitch all year without any recurrence of the finger injury. The goal next year will now be to make it to the bigs, and I would assume he will be resigned and pitch at Columbus to start the season and be a depth option for Indians bullpen (NRI spring invite).
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby nubballguy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
nubballguy wrote:Haven't seen Adam Miller's name appear in a boxscore for a while now. Yesterday's bullpen by committee start would have been a natural for some innings for him I would have thought. Anyone know what's up with him?


Simply deactivated. Same with Austin Adams. Both had reached their inning threshold, neither are hurt.

Very successful return for Miller to pitch all year without any recurrence of the finger injury. The goal next year will now be to make it to the bigs, and I would assume he will be resigned and pitch at Columbus to start the season and be a depth option for Indians bullpen (NRI spring invite).


Thanks for the info Tony. Fingers crossed (well, maybe not THAT finger) that he makes it all the way back next year.

Btw, great meeting you and getting to see Kinston clinch over the weekend. Cheers.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:08 am

nubballguy wrote:Thanks for the info Tony. Fingers crossed (well, maybe not THAT finger) that he makes it all the way back next year.

Btw, great meeting you and getting to see Kinston clinch over the weekend. Cheers.


Hey, good to meet you too. Hope the trip to Cleveland for the game was worth it. :pleasantry:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby nubballguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 am

TonyIPI wrote:
nubballguy wrote:Thanks for the info Tony. Fingers crossed (well, maybe not THAT finger) that he makes it all the way back next year.

Btw, great meeting you and getting to see Kinston clinch over the weekend. Cheers.


Hey, good to meet you too. Hope the trip to Cleveland for the game was worth it. :pleasantry:


Yeah, totally worth it! Fantastic experience even though they came up short in the game. Definitely made the most of it. :s_thumbsup
nubballguy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby axic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:48 am

Chen was hit by pitch during a game versus Panama (2011 Baseball World Cup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ksNxlvHlM

damn, it hurts :(
axic
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 am

axic wrote:Chen was hit by pitch during a game versus Panama (2011 Baseball World Cup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ksNxlvHlM

damn, it hurts :(


Thanks for sharing.....ouch. Glad he is okay.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:24 am

Think the tribe is starting Aguilar here next year. Thought it was a stretch at the end of the season but now I think it has got to be a 100% lock. Not a single 1B prospect, not even a fringy one "more suited/better for AA ball" in sight - it has to be Aguilar. He keeps moving up my prospect list, looking forward to a big year in 2012.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 am

criznit2009 wrote:Think the tribe is starting Aguilar here next year. Thought it was a stretch at the end of the season but now I think it has got to be a 100% lock. Not a single 1B prospect, not even a fringy one "more suited/better for AA ball" in sight - it has to be Aguilar. He keeps moving up my prospect list, looking forward to a big year in 2012.


I wouldn't say it is a lock, but it is looking likely. 75-25 if on that scale.

He had problems at Kinston, so the Indians may choose to send him there for a month or so, but with no one blocking him and his showing this offseason I'd have to believe he opens in Akron too....but there is still a small part of me that believes (based on past history) the Indians will have him open in Carolina and then quickly move him to Akron.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 am

Probably will get the call-up when it warms up in Akron. Seems like the High-A to Akron call-ups usually kick in around then.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Troybuildfitess wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:If Price becomes another good BP arm then that is the "icing on the cake" in the Victor trade.


Price has been terrible the day he came here. Another non prospect especially with his lame numbers: 33 k's in 52 IPS :s_omg


What's wrong with 33 k's in 52 IP's? especially when you are lowering your BAA by twenty points?..

What's wrong with a 24 year olds smooth 3/4 delivery of his fastball that sits between 92-94 mph with a nice tail running in on righties?

What's wrong with his two-seamer that sits around 89-90 mph with run?

What's wrong with his mid 80's slider? Wouldn't you call that pitch a real potential out pitch?

I guess if a reliever doesn't have a 99 mph fastball with movement with absolutely pinpoint command.. then he's only able to put up lame numbers to go with his lame pitching...


BTW....What color is the sky in your world?


Thanks GS, I haven't been around for awhile so didn't see this post. He obviously cherry picked some numbers and has never seen him pitch or read a scouting report. It's not like I was saying he was the next Lee Smith, just saying he has some tools to work with.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest