RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

How Best Use Remaining Games?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

How Best Use Remaining Games?

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:49 am

How do we use the remaining games to best enhance our chances for 2012?

1. Does Santana work on his catching? I guess depends where he fits in our plans. I wonder what that plan is?

2. Does Chis play the duration - even if Hanahan gets well?

3. Does Crowe play to the extent physically he is able?

4. What in the world do we do with Phelps?

5. Does McAllister get a start every five days?

IMO - my interest in additional games is to see the 2012 preview. 2011 has been a great ride that is over. Give the Tigers their due - they swept the Chi Sox and Tribe right into the dumpster.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: How Best Use Remaining Games?

Postby daingean » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 am

Bearcatbob wrote:How do we use the remaining games to best enhance our chances for 2012?

1. Does Santana work on his catching? I guess depends where he fits in our plans. I wonder what that plan is?

2. Does Chis play the duration - even if Hanahan gets well?

3. Does Crowe play to the extent physically he is able?

4. What in the world do we do with Phelps?

5. Does McAllister get a start every five days?

IMO - my interest in additional games is to see the 2012 preview. 2011 has been a great ride that is over. Give the Tigers their due - they swept the Chi Sox and Tribe right into the dumpster.

Bob

1. I think the FO want to continue to develop Santana at C. I would encourage Santana to play winter ball as a 1B to improve those skills though.

2. Chiz plays 2 out of every 3 games at 3B. He needs ABs at the ML level. I have a lot of confidence he progresses. Hanny plays 2 out of every 3 games (1 at 1B) or so. He was hot with the stick before the injury and it would not be unheard of for a vet like him turning his career around offensively at his age. Plus he is the Celtic Super Hero.

3. Crowe is used in the OF rotation. He will also need some time in winter ball to make up for the missed time.

4. Phelps - needs to play but Kip and Donald are ahead of him in the pecking order. I'm not ready to relegate him to that position just yet. Competition improves players. ST next year will be a big competition (IMHO) and if Kip wins 2b job (which I expect) with Donald as the UIF then maybe we can swing a Phelps for a relatively valuable piece.

5. Rotation of Masterson, Ubaldo, Carmona, Huff/McCallister/Gomez is OK with me. So that means 2 of Huff/McCallister/Gomez is a mainstay but the 3rd man should get plenty of work.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 am

No point in playing Crowe. He's a 4th outfielder. They know what he can do and what he can't. I think he battles Zeke Carerra and Thomas Neal for the 4th OF job next year. Besides, he's been hurt all year. No way he'll be 100%. I'd play Carerra a lot to see if he can show some plate discipline and better defense. No point in playing Duncan or Fukudone.

No point in playing Phelps. With Kipnis, Chiz, and Donald on board he has no future with this organization.

I would play Grady to see what he might be able to provide next year if he's healthy. But not every day.

Put Gomez and Huff in the rotation. We'll need a 5th starter next year behind Masterson, Ubaldo, Carmona, and Tomlin. With Carrasco out and Pomz and White traded, we need to evaluate where these guys are at against major league hitters.

If they still think Santana is a catcher, they should let him catch most of the time.

I'd give Hagadone and Judy as many innings as possible in close games to see what they can do at this level. Also bring them in with men on base when possible. Give Raffie, Smith, Sipp and Pestano the rest of the year off. We know what they can do.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:32 am

When a team is considered out of the running (and with the double sweep by the tigers, the Indians are), then the club has to take a step back & evaluate who they believe will be part of the next wave of players they expect to see on the field for the coming season and/or have the ability to translate what they've done in the minors into the major leagues.

Excluding tough decisions regarding players like Fausto and Grady (option pickups) and or outright releases, the Indians have a pretty decent core of players to work with and several options in the minor leagues:

Position Players

1B Matt Laporta, Carlos Santana, Jack Hannahan, Shelly Duncan, Beau Mills, Nick Johnson
2B Jason Kipnis, Jason Donald, Cord Phelps, Luis Valbuena
SS Asdrubal Cabrera, Jason Donald
3B Lonnie Chisenhall, Jack Hannahan, Jared Goedert
C Carlos Santana, Lou Marson
DH Travis Hafner, Jim Thome

LF Michael Brantley, Trevor Crowe, Zeke Carrera, Thomas Neal Shelly Duncan
CF Grady Sizemore, Zeke Carrera, Kosuke Fukudome, Michael Brantley
RF Shin-soo Choo, Kosuke Fukudome, Trevor Crowe

Pitchers

Starters: Tier One: Justin Masterson, Ubaldo Jimenez, Fausto Carmona, Josh Tomlin, JeanMar Gomez, David Huff
Starters: Tier Two: Zach McAllister, Nick Hagadone Austin Adams, Scott Barnes, Corey Kluber
Starters: Tier Three: Paolo Espino Kelvin de la Cruz, Matt Packer, TJ McFarland, Giovanni Soto, Mike Rayl
......................... DL: Hector Rondon, Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco ................................

Relievers:

Tier One: Chris Perez, Vinnie Pestano, Tony Sipp, Rafael Perez, Joe Smith, Frank Herrmann, Nick Hagadone,
Tier Two: Josh Judy, Chen-huis Lee, Zach Putnam, Bryan Price, Cory Burns, Bryce Stowell, Rob Bryson,

The Indians have the welcome complication of having their AAA club in the playoffs. The next six months should be more than interesting.. What the biggest needs will be.. who is available to fill those needs.. etc.. should be a bit different than last season's Hot Stove...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Following the Clippers playoff run - I would like to see Mc Allister get 3 - 4 starts.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Following the Clippers playoff run - I would like to see Mc Allister get 3 - 4 starts.

Bob

Indians have some doubleheaders coming up the last week or so of the season....I'd expect him to get about 2 more starts the rest of the season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:Following the Clippers playoff run - I would like to see Mc Allister get 3 - 4 starts.

Bob

Indians have some doubleheaders coming up the last week or so of the season....I'd expect him to get about 2 more starts the rest of the season.

I would like to see that but my guess the Indians will cap him near 180 IP and he is not too far from 170 now. He should have at least one or two more starts in Columbus unless they do not win one at home against Durham. Easier to use Tomlin or Kluber. Even Talbot if it comes to that. Hate to hope for a Clipper collapse just to see ZMac in a meaningless game or two. :drinks:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:22 pm

For my 2 cents: I would like to win as many remaining games as they can. This season has been fun to watch, and the players on this roster have played too hard to finish below .500.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors