Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Kipnis, Donald and Phelps

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Kipnis, Donald and Phelps

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Jason Donald simply looks like a ball player to me - as does Kipnis. Where does Phelps fit in this mix - that includes Chis?

Last night Phelps does not tag 2b. I suspect Phelps cannot wait for this year to end.

I think he needs to move to LF and be a switch hitter 4th OF candidate. With the current roster - if he plays infield next year - he IMO is back in Columbus.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Kipnis, Donald and Phelps

Postby theshow » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:05 pm

I have always liked Jason Donald. I am VERY comfortable with him in a utility role. I think Chisenhall and Kipnis are the opening day starters next year and you keep Donald around. Also, I feel like Hannahan is a "heart and soul" of the team kind of guy. I think you should keep him around as a bench guy as well.

It is never good to access just based on a few games, but I don't really see Phelps ever having a role in Cleveland. You can have him play OF, but at the end of the day, wouldn't you rather have Ezequel Carrera in your lineup and manning the OF than Phelps? I think I want him on the team as a backup outfielder than Phelps. From what I hear about Neal he seems like a better option as well, and I think at some point next year Weglarz could finally be a factor. I don't know if you can get much in a trade for phelps as his stock is certainly lower now after not performing in the majors, but he is a guy I would look to move if you could get value back.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Kipnis is a no-brainer at 2nd base.

Donald is someone who can really hit lefties but is pretty lackluster versus righties. You can really see the difference in his splits. I guess lucky for us, Chisenhall can really hit righties but struggles versus lefties.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:37 am

entertheshoe wrote:Kipnis is a no-brainer at 2nd base.

Donald is someone who can really hit lefties but is pretty lackluster versus righties. You can really see the difference in his splits. I guess lucky for us, Chisenhall can really hit righties but struggles versus lefties.

Agreed..Kipnis is the heir apparent for the second base spot for the Indians... period..

Donald has shown some inconsistency versus RHP's, but his splits show that he can hit some.. His Splits this year show .354 V LHP and .275 v RHP's in Columbus.. While not overwhelming, these are decent numbers. Donald also has the ability to play 2B, 3B and SS.

With Kipnis as the heir apparent at 2B...
With Droobs as the heir apparent at SS...
With Chiz as the heir apparent at 3B...

This doesn't leave much room for Donald.. Ahh..but therein lies the value of a gamers like Donald & Hannahan These two guys can provide the three heirs apparent the one day off in seven plus the match up day off, as needed. Hanny has also shown the ability to become the Indians super utility guy.. a la Mighty Casey Blake.. Good defense always seems to find a way to get to the field.. be that late in the game as a defensive replacement.. or for run prevention from the outset..

Cord Phelps has been able to show some ability, but is clearly not quite ready for the bright lights. It would not be unusual for a kid like Phelps to go back to the minors and work his way back to the ML's after the humbling experience of the 2011 season.. It happens for the best..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 am

Cord Phelps has been able to show some ability, but is clearly not quite ready for the bright lights. It would not be unusual for a kid like Phelps to go back to the minors and work his way back to the ML's after the humbling experience of the 2011 season.. It happens for the best..

At what position?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Cord Phelps has been able to show some ability, but is clearly not quite ready for the bright lights. It would not be unusual for a kid like Phelps to go back to the minors and work his way back to the ML's after the humbling experience of the 2011 season.. It happens for the best..

At what position?
As a starting 2B on June 19th of every year he's been in the ML's..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:23 pm

One of Donald/Phelps will be used as trade bait, with my bet on Phelps.

With Kipnis manning 2nd and Donald as the utility guy, Phelps becomes sorta redundant.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am

Magneticnorth451 wrote:One of Donald/Phelps will be used as trade bait, with my bet on Phelps.

With Kipnis manning 2nd and Donald as the utility guy, Phelps becomes sorta redundant.

+1

Phelps has been very good in AAA. The gap between AAA pitching and ML pitching is clearly evident. When Cord has been with the Indians, he has struggled making contact. It's only with time and reps that he should be able to hit at the ML level. Focus and discipline in the field is a matter of maturity and professionalism. Cord has the chops to be a good ML m-IF'er. His sojourn through the minors and "fits and starts" at the ML level are not uncommon.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby desert dog » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 pm

It's nice to see Kipnis doing so well. I saw him play at ASU when most people considered him a "tweener" before the Indians converted him to 2B. Great job by their scouting group. He's gonna be a good one.
desert dog
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:18 am

desert dog wrote:It's nice to see Kipnis doing so well. I saw him play at ASU when most people considered him a "tweener" before the Indians converted him to 2B. Great job by their scouting group. He's gonna be a good one.

Welcome to the IPI Site..

Did you know that Jason Kipnis' history includes being selected as an All - State Shortstop from Glenbrook North HS in Illinois. After high school, he became a red shirt freshman at University of Kentucky in 2006 before earning a starter's spot in 2007 as a middle infielder (both SS and 2B). After leaving UK, not on the greatest terms, Jason Kipnis was able to join the Sun Devil program where they made him an outfielder on that powerhouse team. His conversion by the Indians to middle infielder was both a matter of scouting as well as developing the skills necessary at the professional level.

One thing Jason Kipnis could always do.. regardless of where he played defensively, was hit, and hit for power. The Indians got a good one when they drafted him.. It was also the second time he was drafted....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Unless there is an offer that blows the Indians away for a needed player, I think you keep all of the three next year and let performance sort out the starters, utility players and Columbus depth. I even include Valbuena in the mix. One thing this year has shown is the value of depth with Phelps being the only one of the three who was not on the DL sometime during the year. All have value to the Indians and it is too early in their careers with small samples in MLs to judge. There is no organizational depth to replace any of the four with Diaz, who appears fringe to me, the only option from MI/UT prospects who spent the year above LC.

The only one that is close to a sure thing for the roster is Donald IMO. Even if his bat against RHP is suspect, he is the best defender of the three at 2B/3B and the only ML capable SS other than AsCab. He may not be the best prospect of the three/four but I think it is hubris to base their long term value on less than 200 ML ABs and ignore defense. Let the LT value take care of itself and have open competition throughout next year. All these guys have flaws and none is a finished product IMO. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby desert dog » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
desert dog wrote:It's nice to see Kipnis doing so well. I saw him play at ASU when most people considered him a "tweener" before the Indians converted him to 2B. Great job by their scouting group. He's gonna be a good one.

Welcome to the IPI Site..

Did you know that Jason Kipnis' history includes being selected as an All - State Shortstop from Glenbrook North HS in Illinois. After high school, he became a red shirt freshman at University of Kentucky in 2006 before earning a starter's spot in 2007 as a middle infielder (both SS and 2B). After leaving UK, not on the greatest terms, Jason Kipnis was able to join the Sun Devil program where they made him an outfielder on that powerhouse team. His conversion by the Indians to middle infielder was both a matter of scouting as well as developing the skills necessary at the professional level.

One thing Jason Kipnis could always do.. regardless of where he played defensively, was hit, and hit for power. The Indians got a good one when they drafted him.. It was also the second time he was drafted....

Thanks for the welcome. I've been checking out the site for awhile now and just decided to sign up. I live near the ST complex in Goodyear so this is a great site for me during instructs and EST and stuff like that.

I didn't realize Kipnis had a history as a INF before he transferred to ASU. I remember him getting an occassional start at 2B but most people seemed to think his future was in the OF. That's what makes the conversion to a full time 2B even more surprising. He didn't profile well in the OF but most people still overlooked the possiblity of 2B. I think the Indians went outside the box with that pick.

The thing that always set Kipnis apart in college was his power to the opposite field. You don't see that very often from players his age. Brett Wallace and Ike Davis would hit these monster HR's in college but they never used the whole field the way Kipnis did, IMO. In one of his first few games at ASU, he just missed hitting an opposite field HR (hit off the wall) and everyone was kinda like wow this kid has some pop. Then during his next AB he came back to finish the job - the dude hit one to the same exact spot but this time it cleared the fence. That kinda stuff just doesn't happen very often at the college level. Having that kind of bat at 2B takes it to another level
desert dog
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Indians Prospect Talk