Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Jack Hanahan

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Jack Hanahan

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Man - if that guy can hit just a little - he is going to be tough to move off the Indians roster. He is a pleasure to watch with the glove!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Jack Hanahan

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Man - if that guy can hit just a little - he is going to be tough to move off the Indians roster. He is a pleasure to watch with the glove!

I know its crazy. I for one had no expectations for Hanahan, other than his D. Well that has been excellent, even better than advertised and even though he doen't hit much - he does just enough and he is pretty good at getting on base. I really hope they consider bringing him back next season. He would be welcomed.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

I agree and I would not hand the job to Chisenhall next year although they obviously will
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:24 pm

You can live with Hanahan at 3B next season, IF they can add a bat or 2 in the OF or 1B.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Had no expectations with him but he sure has won me over...I want him back..not only for his glove, which would be reason enough...I like his approach at the plate, decent OBP guy for a spot starting #8/#9 hitter...I'd be ok to platoon him with Chis at 3B next year, maybe giving Chis some LHP starts when he's hot

Anyway, I want him to be our corner INF backup for next year :good:
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:57 am

It's crazy how complimentory people are of a guy after a nice game/stretch. I like Jack, especially his glove, but he's very streaky. He's having a stretch right now similar to the one he had at the start of the season but I'd be interested to see what people think of him when he's in the middle of another hitting slump.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:08 am

entertheshoe wrote:It's crazy how complimentory people are of a guy after a nice game/stretch. I like Jack, especially his glove, but he's very streaky. He's having a stretch right now similar to the one he had at the start of the season but I'd be interested to see what people think of him when he's in the middle of another hitting slump.

Even when hes not producing at the plate (hitting) he gets on base enough for a bench guy. And even if he struggles to get on base, he still has that glove. With Chisenhall the everyday starter next season, he will ride the pine but Donald and Hanahan would be a great pair infielders to carry on your bench to start next season. He might up getting a better offer from someone else.
And he is hitting well, but hes not any where close to being the XBH machine (by his standards) he was in Aprilish..Also I wonder how he ranks defensively in ML baseball at 3rd. Top 5 ? Top 10 for sure.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:49 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:You can live with Hanahan at 3B next season, IF they can add a bat or 2 in the OF or 1B.

You have the key. If a team is not offensively challenged like the Indians - he could bat ninth - and be far more of an asset than a liability. I wonder how his defense would be if he only plays an inning or two at a time late in the game without a chance to develop a feel for each game.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:04 am

criznit2009 wrote:.Also I wonder how he ranks defensively in ML baseball at 3rd. Top 5 ? Top 10 for sure.

Per mlb.com-> stats:

Best qualifying 3B with a Field% of .981, 3rd best range close to Beltre and Polanco...guy's good, should get the AL GG, seriously...but he won't get it
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm a big fan of Hannahan. And he has locked up a roster spot on this team this offseason and is a nice handcuff to Chisenhall next year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Hannahan is essentially a replacement player, and he's got a 1.4 WAR this year so that's been a nice addition. I play in a fantasy league with a bunch of college buddies, and anyone that does knows 3b is really weak these days so Hannahan is a nice player to have around (demand is outstripping supply right now at 3b). I remember Hannahan when he was in college at Minnesota and I liked him and was disappointed he went to the Tigers. I thought he would eventually develop more power so he's been disappointing on that end, but as a cheap replacement player I like him. I'm supportive of bringing him back next year, too.

Also, regarding Chisenhall, as the Indians played recently in Chicago I got to see him and I think he looks good. He's got good strength, I like his arm strength and throwing action -- I think he looks like a legit prospect. He does not have a big body or knock out plus tools to where you can project him as a perennial All-Star type, but this guy looks like a very solid young player.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby BrianM » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Tondo wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:.Also I wonder how he ranks defensively in ML baseball at 3rd. Top 5 ? Top 10 for sure.

Per mlb.com-> stats:

Best qualifying 3B with a Field% of .981, 3rd best range close to Beltre and Polanco...guy's good, should get the AL GG, seriously...but he won't get it

Im young, and havent seen as much baseball as most, but ive never seen anything like Jack at 3rd. Fryman was a great defensive player and won a gold glove with the tribe, but his D was only a shadow of what Hannahan has done this year. Unfortunately, I agree that he wont win the gold glove, but there is no doubt in my mind that he deserves it. I would love to see him back with the team next year, even at first base if we can't find an upgrade over Laporta.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 am

The wierd thing about Hannahan is he's hitting .299 against lefties and only .207 against right-handers. That's the biggest reverse split I've ever seen. If he could just hit .240 against righties he'd be a very good everyday 3rd baseman.

He's hitting over .400 in August, so he really stepped up when the Tribe needed some production with Kipnis and now Brantley and Choo out. He's playing the best baseball of his career this month. He's had four two-out hits in the last two games, and without his bat and defense we're 0-2 and looking at getting swept at home by the Royals in front of sellout crowds right after acquiring Thome.

That being said, the future is still Chisenhall. Last night he swung at a 96 mph fastball up at his armpits and just missed a home run when the ball hooked around the foul pole. Then he lined a single to left to keep the inning alive and set up Astrubal's game-winning HR. The problem with Chiz is he can't hit lefties to save his life so maybe we platoon them at 3rd next year and also bring in Hanny for defense in the late innings.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:32 am

Prosecutor wrote:The wierd thing about Hannahan is he's hitting .299 against lefties and only .207 against right-handers. That's the biggest reverse split I've ever seen. If he could just hit .240 against righties he'd be a very good everyday 3rd baseman.

He's hitting over .400 in August, so he really stepped up when the Tribe needed some production with Kipnis and now Brantley and Choo out. He's playing the best baseball of his career this month. He's had four two-out hits in the last two games, and without his bat and defense we're 0-2 and looking at getting swept at home by the Royals in front of sellout crowds right after acquiring Thome.

That being said, the future is still Chisenhall. Last night he swung at a 96 mph fastball up at his armpits and just missed a home run when the ball hooked around the foul pole. Then he lined a single to left to keep the inning alive and set up Astrubal's game-winning HR. The problem with Chiz is he can't hit lefties to save his life so maybe we platoon them at 3rd next year and also bring in Hanny for defense in the late innings.

There are few internet posts I agree with more. Nice summary.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:39 am

Bearcatbob wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:The wierd thing about Hannahan is he's hitting .299 against lefties and only .207 against right-handers. That's the biggest reverse split I've ever seen. If he could just hit .240 against righties he'd be a very good everyday 3rd baseman.

There are few internet posts I agree with more. Nice summary.
For a raw rookie.. getting accustomed to ML pitching.. takes some time.. Chiz will hit LHP's.. A little patience is needed here..

But back to the specific content of this posting: Hannahan's role with the Indians.. not only can Hoover play 3B.. he can also play 1B.. It would not be a HUGE surprise to see Hanny taking fly balls in both RF and LF, working at 1B.. etc.. to make him as versatile as Mighty Casey Blake once was with the Indians.. While I don't see another Hanny for Carlos Santana Trade coming.. Hanny can't hurt his chances to play lots of games if he's more versatile and continues to impress with his glove work..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:10 pm

I agree with a few others, Hanahan has locked up a roster spot for next year IMO as well. Going to be intersting to see how we handle guys like Donald, Phelps, and Valbuena (especially the first two). Would only have 1 utility infielder job open then...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I agree with a few others, Hanahan has locked up a roster spot for next year IMO as well. Going to be intersting to see how we handle guys like Donald, Phelps, and Valbuena (especially the first two). Would only have 1 utility infielder job open then...

I'd say Donald would have to be the favorite. He's a right-handed bat that plays average to above average defense at 3 positions in the infield. Compare to Valbuena who is below average at one position (2B), awful at two (SS and 3B) and horrifying as a corner OF. Phelps is a possibility, but I suspect that since he still has 2 options and some upside, he'll end up being sent to Columbus next year, perhaps he'll be tasked with learning 3B or SS to make him a more valuable utility guy in the future.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:I agree with a few others, Hanahan has locked up a roster spot for next year IMO as well. Going to be intersting to see how we handle guys like Donald, Phelps, and Valbuena (especially the first two). Would only have 1 utility infielder job open then...

I'd say Donald would have to be the favorite. He's a right-handed bat that plays average to above average defense at 3 positions in the infield. Compare to Valbuena who is below average at one position (2B), awful at two (SS and 3B) and horrifying as a corner OF. Phelps is a possibility, but I suspect that since he still has 2 options and some upside, he'll end up being sent to Columbus next year, perhaps he'll be tasked with learning 3B or SS to make him a more valuable utility guy in the future.

yikes.....

I could see Donald, but would have nothing to do with his defense. Looks like he could be average at 3B at least, but with Hanny around not a big need.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:58 am

Hermie13 wrote:yikes.....

I could see Donald, but would have nothing to do with his defense. Looks like he could be average at 3B at least, but with Hanny around not a big need.

Just my opinion, but I think he's fine as a 2B. Way better than Valbuena in any case. Average is probably a stretch for SS, but it's not like he's so awful there that we would need to pick up someone else for that position.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby skydancing8 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:45 am

TonyIPI wrote:I'm a big fan of Hannahan. And he has locked up a roster spot on this team this offseason and is a nice handcuff to Chisenhall next year.

Must be fantasy football season if the term "handcuff" is getting thrown around haha. You're right though Tony, Hannahan deserves to be on this team.
skydancing8
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 am

Jack Hannahan was signed to a one year minor league contract by the Indians this off season. He will have just over three years service time in the ML's to start the 2012 season. The Indians will want to keep him and will probably be willing to give him one of those 2 year with a club option type deals. The problem will be Jack Hannahan won't have just the Indians knocking at his doorstep for his next contract. His arbitration number, I believe, shouldn't be too high, perhaps in the $ 1.3 - $ 1.7 MM range or the direct replacement for the now departed Austin Kearns.. a good value, imho..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Jack Hannahan was signed to a one year minor league contract by the Indians this off season. He will have just over three years service time in the ML's to start the 2012 season. The Indians will want to keep him and will probably be willing to give him one of those 2 year with a club option type deals. The problem will be Jack Hannahan won't have just the Indians knocking at his doorstep for his next contract. His arbitration number, I believe, shouldn't be too high, perhaps in the $ 1.3 - $ 1.7 MM range or the direct replacement for the now departed Austin Kearns.. a good value, imho..

I see no way the Indians give him a multi-year deal. They will just offer him arbitration, and settle before the hearing and sign him to a 1 year deal at anywhere from $800K to $1.3M.

With Hannahan on this team at least for 2012, I would have to think Valbuena's days are numbered on this roster since there are two 2B in Phelps and Kipnis and a utility guy in Donald already on it as well.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I see no way the Indians give him a multi-year deal. They will just offer him arbitration, and settle before the hearing and sign him to a 1 year deal at anywhere from $800K to $1.3M.

With Hannahan on this team at least for 2012, I would have to think Valbuena's days are numbered on this roster since there are two 2B in Phelps and Kipnis and a utility guy in Donald already on it as well.

Do you think the Indians will offer him a NRI (like Duncan got in the offseason) or will he have to take up a 40 spot this offseason. I agree he's been a solid part of this team's performance and it will be interesting to see how Hannahan and Chisenhall are used next summer.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm

daingean wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:I see no way the Indians give him a multi-year deal. They will just offer him arbitration, and settle before the hearing and sign him to a 1 year deal at anywhere from $800K to $1.3M.

Do you think the Indians will offer him a NRI (like Duncan got in the offseason) or will he have to take up a 40 spot this offseason. I agree he's been a solid part of this team's performance and it will be interesting to see how Hannahan and Chisenhall are used next summer.

Would not surprise me if Valby got DFAed this offseason. Duncan though was not a NRI guy this winter (was in 2010 though). I would think Valbuena would move on same as Marte. Some team with less infield depth would give him a shot.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 pm

I would think Hannahan will remain on the 40-man roster and is going nowhere....so he won't be an NRI guy. Now, a good chance Valbuena could be DFAed and if he clears waivers will just be outrighted to the minors (first time outright, can't elect FA). If that happens, then yeah, he would be an NRI.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:But back to the specific content of this posting: Hannahan's role with the Indians.. not only can Hoover play 3B.. he can also play 1B.. It would not be a HUGE surprise to see Hanny taking fly balls in both RF and LF, working at 1B.. etc.. to make him as versatile as Mighty Casey Blake once was with the Indians.. While I don't see another Hanny for Carlos Santana Trade coming.. Hanny can't hurt his chances to play lots of games if he's more versatile and continues to impress with his glove work..

I can't see Hoover in the OF. His bat won't play there over a full season and his defense would not be exceptional like it is at 3rd. He'd offer nothing as an outfielder. The reason Blake was able to play some RF is because he had a great arm and also hit well enough to be a corner OF on an emergency basis. Hanny may be hot now but he's still a .230 hitter with limited power. The only thing he brings offensively is an ability to hit .299 against lefties, and I suspect that's a fluke.

I could see the Tribe starting next year with Chiz in Columbus. His numbers there weren't overwelming this year and he hasn't hit in Cleveland. They might think he still needs to be finished off, especially with regard to hitting lefties. He's only 22.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I could see the Tribe starting next year with Chiz in Columbus. His numbers there weren't overwelming this year and he hasn't hit in Cleveland. They might think he still needs to be finished off, especially with regard to hitting lefties. He's only 22.

Agreed. Unless he makes strides in the spring, I think Chisenhall very well could open the season at Columbus. Will be something interesting to follow in the offseason. I think there is a chance that Chisenhall will go to the AFL this offseason.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 pm

what can't ya say about Jack Hanahan..now.. Came into spring with nothing to lose, got a chance to start when Donald went down... Well, all I can say I really hope you are here next year. Made the most of an opportunity and in so many ways contributed to our current pennant chase. Thanks Jack - you have done an amazing job.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:I could see the Tribe starting next year with Chiz in Columbus. His numbers there weren't overwelming this year and he hasn't hit in Cleveland. They might think he still needs to be finished off, especially with regard to hitting lefties. He's only 22.

Agreed. Unless he makes strides in the spring, I think Chisenhall very well could open the season at Columbus. Will be something interesting to follow in the offseason. I think there is a chance that Chisenhall will go to the AFL this offseason.

Don't see anything wrong with that anyway. It was obvious that Chiz has been overmatched at times. Kid's still...well literally a kid.

Besides that, if anything from this season needs to be remembered, it's that all around depth is as important for position players as it is with your pitchers.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors