RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tribe trade history over the past two decades

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Tribe trade history over the past two decades

Postby elrod enchilada » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:06 am

I have only resumed my love affair with the Tribe in the past two years. I was a fanatical fan from the 60s through the 80s, became a fair-weather fan thereafter. I had been away from Cleveland for 30 years, had a demanding job and a family. And I was even more fanatical about basketball. (The Browns have always been a passion, too.)

I confess the repeated bone-headed trades of John Hart (Brian Giles, Richie Sexson, Sean Casey, etc etc) rained on my fair-weather status.

So just about everyone who posts here knows much more about baseball and especially recent major league baseball than I do. I admit that; I come to this cite to learn, not to teach.

That being said, it seems like the Tribe management over the past two decades has been at its best when trading for prospects and at its worst when trading prospects. I confess I am interested in building a winning team around great talent, like others on this site. I loved the way the position players were put together for the mid-90s teams. The Tribe's incompetent trading of valued prospects for overpriced pitching mediocrity has been a major problem for the franchise. It seems like as soon as the team senses contention it gives away the store for mediocrity that is insufficient to get the Tribe to the next level, the entire rationale for the trade in the first place.

In short, the Tribe management is Branch Rickey when it is trading for prospects and Horace Stoneham when trading prospects for veterans and immediate help.

I hated the White-Pomeranz deal the moment I heard about it. It struck me as precisely the sort of ass-backward moron trade that kills franchises. I listened to the Tribe propaganda about why this was such a great deal and was willing to concede that if, somehow, the Tribe won the central division this year it would justify torching the rotation for the balance of the decade. Even if the team would doubtlessly get crushed, and deservedly so, in the playoffs in the event they somehow won the central.

But now I am not willing to even concede that. It may well be that a year from now both White and Pomeranz will be superior to Jimenez, and, since payroll is such an overriding issue in this trade, White and Pomeranz will be minimum wage and el cheapo salaries for years.

Maybe the Tribe needs to hire an executive whose only job is to do these "Trade away prospects for immediate help veterans" deals. They have blown it just about every time they have attempted to do it, and it looks like we will be painfully reminded of this bogus trade for the next 10-15 years. I fear the only thing that will prevent that will be injuries to White and Pomeranz. Otherwise this deal will live in infamy.

Finally, it seems to me that when trading prospects with the pedigree and talent of White and Pomeranz, shouldn't we be getting back true veteran studs, like Sabathia? Otherwise, don't make the frigging trade! Let Colorado see what else they can get for Jimenez!

Maybe Jimenez is having a mid-life crisis at 27, but he looks light years away from being a FOR pitcher, and we traded talent that deserved FOR talent. We should have gotten Jimenez for less, because he may be heading due south, There is little known reason to believe he comes back to top form. What you see with this guy is likely what you get.

So someone who knows more please tell me why I am wrong and that this was a really smart deal and why I should be a happier camper than I am.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Re: Tribe trade history over the past two decades

Postby Troybuildfitess » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Right now Tribe fans have to feel sick. The trade in theory would have been similar to the deal John Hart reffused to make by sending the likes of Jaret Wright, Albie Lopez-Giles or whatever for Pedro Martinez. Had we recieved the Jimenez of the first half of last year I would make that deal everyday however we have a Jimenez whose mechanics are out of wack. We can only hope Tim Belcher can tweak them to get him back on track.
Troybuildfitess
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Tribe trade history over the past two decades

Postby elrod enchilada » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Trades like this can cost people their jobs. I do not think it should in this case, but a team does not have infinite opportunities to have prospects like White and Pomeranz. If management is, for whatever reason, itching to trade them, it damn well has to connect with a stud. It is not like we have a bunch of arms in our system who will replace them. We don't. They were light years ahead of all our other pitching prospects. If the 2011 Jimenez is what we get going forward, the effects on the franchise are enormous. Let's dispense with all the back-slapping and self-congratulation about how cheap he is for the next two years, too.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Return to Indians Prospect Talk