RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Carlos Moncreif

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Carlos Moncreif

Postby Troybuildfitess » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:16 pm

What is the consensus here on the raw toolsey Moncreif? Low BA, draws alot of walks, strikes out a ton, can run, hit with power (Almost half his hits are for xtra bases), and has a great arm?
Troybuildfitess
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Carlos Moncreif

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Just a little heads up but we have threads dedicated to certain teams which are very active and you can easily get your questions answered there. This one would probably belong in the Lake County thread.

Figured I would tell you that before someone tears your face off.

Anyhow, welcome to the board. :drinks:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Troybuildfitess wrote:What is the consensus here on the raw toolsey Moncreif? Low BA, draws alot of walks, strikes out a ton, can run, hit with power (Almost half his hits are for xtra bases), and has a great arm?

As long as you posted and asked ...I always watch the kid closely because he does have so many tools with which to work with. He'll be one of those late bloomer types that you need to keep throwing out there because I think he's the type that could start to put it together and be a ML contributor leading into his later 20's..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Even though he had some serious upside - in hindsight, wish we would have never wasted that time trying to mold him into a pitcher... Next year will be a far more telling indicator of his future success.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Sol Solis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm optimistic about Moncreif. I doubt he ever hits for a high average, but I could definitely seem him being the next Ankiel. Ankiel doesn't hit for average but he's got pop and speed with a good arm out in the outfield.
Sol Solis
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 pm

He was open of my two "dark horse" picks in our pre-season thread. The tools are terrific. Let him go station-to-station through the system and he could actually make it.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:34 pm

I like Moncrief a ton....he is gonna shoot up prospect rankings next season. The strikeouts and bat to ball are a concern, but the tools are absolutely there with raw power, speed, and power arm. Might be a Top 25-30 guy next year for sure....but as others suggested his experience in Kinston next year will be a true proving ground. Kinston is where so many good offensive players go to die (or should I say Zebulon next year).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm in on Moncrief, as others have suggested i think he will be a late bloomer and he's got the tools to be solid OF great arm and pop. Maybe he ends up as a 4th OF someday in the bigs bc of his tools.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:42 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm in on Moncrief, as others have suggested i think he will be a late bloomer and he's got the tools to be solid OF great arm and pop. Maybe he ends up as a 4th OF someday in the bigs bc of his tools.

Could end up being Curtis Granderson....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Hate to be the negative guy again here, but mark me down as very doubtful about his potential.

His numbers at Lake County are only so-so, and he certainly isn't young for the league. So far he seems to be a guy with a bit of power but a very high strikeout rate. I know he gets some walks, but the overall profile, including his batting average and his month to month performance, just doesn't seem like a legitimate major league prospect to me.

His OPS is 24th in the Midwest League. He has improved a little since last year, but nothing that indicates a break out is near.

Hope y'all are right and I'm wrong, but I see a career minor league player here.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk