RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Draft Signing Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Falcons115 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 am

Def a bit let down not getting either of them, was thinking one or the other. but to not get BOTH?
Falcons115
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:12 am

jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Indians don't get Tarpley AND Peters.

They didnt get either of them

That's what I said, Jeff.... I said the Indians dont get Tarpley and Peters.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:12 am

Falcons115 wrote:Def a bit let down not getting either of them, was thinking one or the other. but to not get BOTH?

IMO, the fact that we got Lindor and Howard relatively cheap, and fail to sign Tarpley and Peters... man, where's the money?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 am

huh ? No Peters ? I think he's signed, at least he's acting like he's just signed with his messages on twitter..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 am

Money.......Money.......Money....... Got Lindor and Howard... Would have liked Peters but oh well good enough for me.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Falcons115 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:16 am

Well I guess we signed Shawn Armstrong our 18th rounder
Falcons115
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:17 am

Falcons115 wrote:Well I guess we signed Shawn Armstrong our 18th rounder

Probably our backup plan to Tarpley/Peters.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:20 am

jellis wrote:

I know people are disappointed, but neither is much of a loss. If they were asking for sandwich round money, they were kidding themselves. Good for the Indians not overpaying for lower upside talent. Neither is that kind of good, and it's not even close with Tarpley. I really don't think we're going to be looking back in 3 years saying, "Darn, wish we really paid those guys when we had the chance". A chance that happens with Peters, but I'd bet against it.

Howard was the big signing. I'm fine adding Lindor, but also would have been fine with the comp pick. Don't forget about Eric Haase; he was a nice get. Not a bad draft by the Indians. Hope Lindor starts to hit the weight room hard tomorrow if he hasn't already done so.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 am

A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:

That's what I said, Jeff.... I said the Indians dont get Tarpley and Peters.

AND in big letters after my post made me think your were saying they didnt get both but might have gotten one, trouble with message boards inflection can be miss assumed.

As for the cheapness not shocked, I think the spending in Latin America showed they were going that way over the draft route, prices were very high this year and a 7 figure bonus to peters or tarpley neither of who look like FOR starters looked like a bad decision. Fine with the approach, honestly Haase speed/power combo excited me more than any player outisde the top 2, I really see a poor poor mans Biggio potentially there

Armstrong is a nice consolation price, and any east carolina fans have to hate us after we took two pitchers from their staff this week, Morimando was also slated to go their
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:26 am

I don't understand what happened with Peters. I think he actually thought that he was signed,sealed, and delivered to go with the Indians ..but, apparently what he thought was done ...wasn't.

Not signing could go either way for him, of course. Burch Smith negotiations went the exact same way last year between he and the Indians. He took the shot that in another year he would go and improve on his leverage, and sign for even more. It ended up costing him over 3/4 of a million bucks after struggling through an injury plagued season.

It ended up being good for the Indians that he DIDN'T sign with us, at least looking at it from where things stand now.
We offered just shy of a million for him last year, and he ended up signing for 180k this year. Ouch !
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:27 am

I make it 29 signings which seems like a lot to me. About the same as the 2008 draft which was a good one. Too bad about Peters and Tarpley but that's the breaks when you go after tough signs. Some just are too expensive. I would not be too surprised to see some organizational movement over the winter but this is a lot of players to absorb into a pretty deep system.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:57 am

Good that we didn't flinch too much with Lindor but Howard was very expensive and probably cost us a shot at the other 2 big names...would have liked 1 of Tarpley or Peters, but looks like that money was spread to 3 lower level LHPs in Merrit, Armstrong and Morimando, who cost just over 800k together

Completing the recap:

Lindor 2.9mil
Howard 1.85mil
Sisco 325k
Lowery 220k
Roberts ??
Myles 112.5k
Haase 580k
J.Smith 125k
J.Johnson ??
DeJesus ??
Sides ??
MacPhee 150k
Anderson 250k
Hankins ??
Merritt 150k
Armstrong 325k
Morimando 350k
Elliott ??
C.Allen ??
Frazar ??
Wagoner ??
Radeke ??
A.Guerrero ??
Medina ??
Barr 2.5k
Ruiz ??
Serna ??
Davenport 100k
Nixon ??

~ 7,44mil + 14x??

Anybody know the other SBs? Assuming the AVG was around 100k max, we "just" spent 8.5-8.8mil or so, so I guess the Latin splash cut into the budget here...very surprised we couldn't (or didn't want to) sign Reckling or T.Starr, who both will be 23yo going into next year's draft...esp. Reckling, a JR, in the 21st round looked like a good pick

Overall, I'm ok with the draft and signings but probably would have prefered to throw the Lindor money at Tarpley and Peters and just take the comp pick as I think that Tarpley+Peters+9th overall 2012 > Lindor....but we didn't overpay so I guess that's ok
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 am

Reckling was hurt and could improve his stock, and I believe some one on here says he comes from major money, and there are building at rice named for his family, I could be wrong about that though
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:40 am

Tondo, I agree that Tarpley, Peters, 2012 1st rounder is better than Lindor. Thing is, that's not what the situation is. It's more like Tarpley, Peters, and an unprotected 2012 1st versus Lindor now (not a year from now as the case with 2012 pick) and 2 million. Just look how much the Diamonbacks had to pony up for Archie with their unprotected pick. It's either go with that route (overpaying BPA) or go with the safe signable guy. That 2 million is a lot of money when it comes to signing other guys (whether it be guys in 2012, additional signings in 2011, or splashing in the latin talent pool).

With those things considered I think the front office did the right thing.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 am

Tondo wrote:Overall, I'm ok with the draft and signings but probably would have prefered to throw the Lindor money at Tarpley and Peters and just take the comp pick as I think that Tarpley+Peters+9th overall 2012 > Lindor....but we didn't overpay so I guess that's ok

I am glad we signed Lindor. I see him as a Barry Larkin type SS in the majors and he should be the #1 prospect in the system. I know you wanted a college pitcher in the 1st but Lindor could be a pretty good player and considering who was available at that time he was the best player available. But I disagree that Tarpley+Peters+9th overall in 2012 > Lindor this year.

Now in hindsight after the Ubaldo trade, we do need pitching as we don't really have a top flight pitching prospect right now (I know some still consider Knapp to be that guy but he really hasn't pitched in 2 years after shoulder surgery and shoulders scare me). I do like Howard and Sisco from this year's draft but they were available when we drafted them for a reason.

In reality, we won't be able to evaluate this draft until 2016 but I would still grade this as an A.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 am

I have to admit I'm surprised by the news both Peters and Tarpley didn't sign. I really felt Peters would sign and apparently so did he. I felt the odds Peters signs was 60 / 40 for him signing and Tarpley 50 / 50. I heard the numbers Tarpley reportedly threw around and from what I heard the actual number was closer to 1 mil. I felt like it was over paying for him but necessary to pay to add the arm to the system. Peters is the one that kind of surprised me the most, I really felt the Tribe drafted him to get the deal done. From other posts it sounds like Peters felt like a deal was going to get done. I'm not sure if the Tribe balked at his demands as much as they limited themselves with a budget or just sheer number of signings prior to this point.

Shawn Armstrong is an interesting power arm. He'll be 21 next week has had some shoulder concerns but hits 96 and could have a bit more in there IMO. Perhaps adding him and Shawn Morimando will help offset not signing a top 10 pk in Tarpley, while it's disappointing I'm not heart broke over losing Tarpley. Personally I preferred Peters to Tarpley.

I'm glad to see this signing process come and hopefully go. I'm not a huge fan :pardon: of slotted signing bonus system, maybe perhaps a amateur draft cap would be the answer rather than a slot by slot scale system. Hopefully a new CBA gets done and has some sort of rational thought behind it rather than this crazy system they now employ.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:58 am

Draft Signing Deadline has come and the Indians have done their best to sign those players that have a chance to realize their dreams of becoming Major League Baseball players.. The Indians drafted and signed 17 of their top 20 picks from this draft and 12 of their remaining 30 picks. The addition of 29 new faces to the Indians system (some are already with a summer league/short season club) will only make the depth and quality of the Indians minor league system all that much better..

Lindor and Howard, who are both acknowledged as premium "high risk" picks, who project to the major leagues, being signed is another example of Chris Antonetti doing a fine job in his inaugural year as GM. The remaining picks who may be considered impact players/sleepers from this group, like Sisco, Myles, deJesus, Lowery & Haase could all become future stalwarts in the Indians system over the next few years. It was sad that Tarpley & the Indians were unable to come to terms. Losing Peters was "meh", imho..

A good day in our wigwam.. Jim Thome's 600th home run, against the Tigers, and the signing of the clubs top picks..

:s_thumbsup
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I know people are disappointed, but neither is much of a loss. If they were asking for sandwich round money, they were kidding themselves. Good for the Indians not overpaying for lower upside talent. Neither is that kind of good, and it's not even close with Tarpley. I really don't think we're going to be looking back in 3 years saying, "Darn, wish we really paid those guys when we had the chance". A chance that happens with Peters, but I'd bet against it.

Howard was the big signing. I'm fine adding Lindor, but also would have been fine with the comp pick. Don't forget about Eric Haase; he was a nice get. Not a bad draft by the Indians. Hope Lindor starts to hit the weight room hard tomorrow if he hasn't already done so.

Last thing I want to see is Lindor beef his way off SS. Nothing wrong with strength training, but kid doesn't need to bulk up or hit the weight room that hard.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Peters is nice, but there are reasons he feel to the 20th round, other teams were willing to spend, but no one thought he was worth a million just not much projection there. Crazy to me people are upset about no Peters, yet seemed liek they woudl be fine with no Lindor who is right now the second best SS prospect in baseball and a top 50 prospect
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:40 pm

jellis wrote:Peters is nice, but there are reasons he feel to the 20th round, other teams were willing to spend, but no one thought he was worth a million just not much projection there. Crazy to me people are upset about no Peters, yet seemed liek they woudl be fine with no Lindor who is right now the second best SS prospect in baseball and a top 50 prospect

I would have liked to have signed either Peters, Tarpley or Pitts but I am happy with what we got. I do think some are selling Lindor way to short. I would have considered 1 of those icing on the cake. :drinks:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah, Peters would obviously have been nice, but o well. I'm more disappointed over missing out on Taylor Sparks than either Peters or Tarpley.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:I know people are disappointed, but neither is much of a loss. If they were asking for sandwich round money, they were kidding themselves. Good for the Indians not overpaying for lower upside talent. Neither is that kind of good, and it's not even close with Tarpley. I really don't think we're going to be looking back in 3 years saying, "Darn, wish we really paid those guys when we had the chance". A chance that happens with Peters, but I'd bet against it.

Last thing I want to see is Lindor beef his way off SS. Nothing wrong with strength training, but kid doesn't need to bulk up or hit the weight room that hard.

Have to somewhat disagree with you here, Hermie. The kid is pretty scrawny right now. He needs to add a good 10-15 lbs of muscle. I'm not saying he needs to get to 215.. but might be nice if you can get him around 190-195...
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Have to somewhat disagree with you here, Hermie. The kid is pretty scrawny right now. He needs to add a good 10-15 lbs of muscle. I'm not saying he needs to get to 215.. but might be nice if you can get him around 190-195...

Agree that he could use some bulking up.. I dont want him to go the Arod route (well maybe :dirol: ) but he could easily add 10-15lbs. of muscle.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Agree that he could use some bulking up.. I dont want him to go the Arod route (well maybe :dirol: ) but he could easily add 10-15lbs. of muscle.
I'd rather see him add 10 - 15 to his BA and HR totals..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Not sure you'll ever see his HR total up there, though is average could.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Here's a positional breakdown on the 2011 draft signings crop.

*UDFA: (6) Matt Curtis-RHP, Will Krasne-RHP, Josh McKeon-RHP, Drew Rucinski-RHP, Jerrod Sabourin-1b, Patrick Tolentino-C.*

RHP: (12) Dillon Howard, Jake Sisco, Will Roberts, Jeff Johnson, Luis DeJesus, Grant Sides, Cody Anderson, Shawn Armstrong, Cody Allen, Jack Wagoner, Mason Radeke, Robert Nixon.

LHP: (4) Ryan Merritt, Shawn Morimondo, Abel Guerrero, Geoff Davenport

C: (2) Jake Lowery, Eric Haase

1B: (0) none

2B: (2) Zack MacPhee, Todd Hankins

3B: (1) Jordan Smith

SS: (4) Francisco Lindor, Evan Frazar, Yhoxian Medina, KC Serna

OF: (4) Bryson Myles, Cody Elliott, John Barr, Brian Ruiz
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Yeah, Peters would obviously have been nice, but o well. I'm more disappointed over missing out on Taylor Sparks than either Peters or Tarpley.

+1

I wish they would have offered Peters' money(or Tarpley's, whichever was more) to Sparks. Sparks has way more projection than either of those guys.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:29 pm

The one thing I really want to see the Indians try and draft high next year is a right handed first baseman with some power. Man, do we need that.... I know we have Aguilar and all, but we haven't had a legit first baseman in a LONG time.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

A.Zajac wrote:The one thing I really want to see the Indians try and draft high next year is a right handed first baseman with some power. Man, do we need that.... I know we have Aguilar and all, but we haven't had a legit first baseman in a LONG time.

+1. We are on the same page here Andrew. Beau Mills was a long time ago and they wanted him to play 3B. He is also LH. Some of this year's draft class may ultimately find their way to 1B but there is little hope that I see from anyone that I see playing 1B now other than Aguilar. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Just saw that Rays got Guerrieri for 1.6mil, he was rated MUCH higher than Howard...they signed 20 of their top 21,all of them top400 overall picks in a strong draft and none of them got more than 1.5mil, they got most of their top150 picks to sign between 500k-1mil ....what a great job

That said, I hope we don't pick top10 anytime soon again as it seems that you can "work" a draft with your budget much better picking mid to late round 1...imagine we picked 24th, like the Rays and we got a Geurrieri or Mahtook for 1-1.6mil....that's already 1.5mil saved to Lindor..we got have used that money to give 1mil to Sparks, Peters or Tarpley and still could throw 500k at someone like Brady or Kramer...imho Guerrieri+Sparks+Brady >>> Lindor

Guess I just don't believe in Lindor's bat enough...and when you take a bat top 10 it gotta be an impact bat no matter the position and D
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Thing about Lindor is he is a premium position player with high upside. It's as much about premium position and organizational value. Simply put the Tribe places a premium on guys who play middle of the diamond, he has very good defense and potential to get better the bat. JUST SAYING.

I completely understand the sentiments that the Tribe could've or should've done this or that as far as signing other guys with the money they spent on Lindor. I'd love to have gotten Sparks, Kramer, Pitts, Brady, and Peters or any three of those guys and a pk next yr. I'd been ticked too if they had let Lindor walk, when you get a chance to take a very good player at a premium position even if the system is loaded you got to do it.

I wished the Tribe would have shelled out a bit more in this draft but I expect in a cpl yrs we'll be talking about several guys pushing for a promotion to the big league club.

Here's another thought the Tribe also shelled out $1.1 Mil to Dorsi Paulino -SS son of Jesus Sanchez, the 16 yr old SS from the Domican Republic. That's 2 SS for $4 mil and they are both under 18. To be a kid again :blush: .
That's the equivalent of using the 1st and 2nd rd pks on 2 SS.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Lindor, like any 17 year old, could stand to bulk up more. However, i don't think his strength (or lack thereof) will be an issue going forward. His hands are so quick, he'll be able to turn on balls out of the yard. After all, he did win the AFLAC game home-run derby. It just might take some time for his power to show up more in live games. He'll never be a power hitter but if Asdubal can hit 20 HR's in a season, i think there's hope for everyone.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby PEngle39 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Tondo wrote:Just saw that Rays got Guerrieri for 1.6mil, he was rated MUCH higher than Howard...they signed 20 of their top 21,all of them top400 overall picks in a strong draft and none of them got more than 1.5mil, they got most of their top150 picks to sign between 500k-1mil ....what a great job

That said, I hope we don't pick top10 anytime soon again as it seems that you can "work" a draft with your budget much better picking mid to late round 1...imagine we picked 24th, like the Rays and we got a Geurrieri or Mahtook for 1-1.6mil....that's already 1.5mil saved to Lindor..we got have used that money to give 1mil to Sparks, Peters or Tarpley and still could throw 500k at someone like Brady or Kramer...imho Guerrieri+Sparks+Brady >>> Lindor

Guess I just don't believe in Lindor's bat enough...and when you take a bat top 10 it gotta be an impact bat no matter the position and D

Do you honestly think Guerrieri would take 1.6 mil if we took him at #8 when Archie Bradley, the kid taken one pick ahead of him, took 5 million? It's apples to oranges. Lindor does have an impact bat, he's just not a pure power hitter.....big difference.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Tondo wrote:Just saw that Rays got Guerrieri for 1.6mil, he was rated MUCH higher than Howard...they signed 20 of their top 21,all of them top400 overall picks in a strong draft and none of them got more than 1.5mil, they got most of their top150 picks to sign between 500k-1mil ....what a great job

Gotta wonder if all the off the field questions and makeup concerns had anything to do with Guerrieri signing and for only $1.6M. His advisors said the talks were blown out of proportion, but transferring in October did seem weird.

Agree, solid draft again by the Rays. Helps though when you have so many comp picks. Pretty much all their picks were considered reaches after Guerreiri and Mahtook. Easier to get guys to sign cheap when you overdraft them. Still, getting that many top 200 guys is a great haul for that organization.

Won't go into the Lindor thing again here, agree to disagree I guess.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:00 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Last thing I want to see is Lindor beef his way off SS. Nothing wrong with strength training, but kid doesn't need to bulk up or hit the weight room that hard.

hmm, while a .540 batting average would be nice, seems a tad bit unrealistic. :s_tongue

Guess i don't see the need for him to bulk up. Already had quick enough hands and the body to hit double digit HRs. Still think 20 will be easy for him. Wouldn't be opposed to him adding some weight, but if it takes away from his range/speed it seems very unneccesary. Not much smaller than Rollins or even Asdrubal.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Tondo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm

It was a hypthetical scenario...my point was that picking mid-late 1st still gets you a decent player that falls (Mahtook, Guerrieri) at a chap rate and then you have more money left for your high upside specs picked later

so no, I think no player projected to go around there would have taken less than 2.5mil...

BA and OBP will be key for Lindor...if he is a great defender as advertised and gets on base with a steal here and there I'd consider it a very successful pick...I really don't need much power...I'd rather have a high OBP guy with no power at all than a meh power, meh OBP spec...that's why I value specs like Holt, Perez and Henry over Diaz, Fedroff etc...at least the former group project as table setters or end of lineup guys thanks to their OBP
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Tondo wrote:It was a hypthetical scenario...my point was that picking mid-late 1st still gets you a decent player that falls (Mahtook, Guerrieri) at a chap rate and then you have more money left for your high upside specs picked later

so no, I think no player projected to go around there would have taken less than 2.5mil...

BA and OBP will be key for Lindor...if he is a great defender as advertised and gets on base with a steal here and there I'd consider it a very successful pick...I really don't need much power...I'd rather have a high OBP guy with no power at all than a meh power, meh OBP spec...that's why I value specs like Holt, Perez and Henry over Diaz, Fedroff etc...at least the former group project as table setters or end of lineup guys thanks to their OBP

To me, the power isn't a concern either. I look for Lindor to be a #1/2/3 hitter. That means getting on base, being able to make consistent contact, keep the Ks to a minimum, and being able to swipe a bag when necessary. If he can do that, I'll be happy.

Granted this is really projecting ahead, but when we're just losing Chisenhall and Kipnis, up will come Lindor and Wolters.. Such a good problem to have.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:20 pm

BTW Guerrieri also gained a lot velocity (6-8 mph ?) on his FB too. He credited it to a new training regement he had began. Possible but also possible kid got some roids. Just saying odd situation all around.

At only 17 Lindor has plenty of room to grow. He still has that smaller build but with age / maturity he's likely to gain that extra 10-15 lbs.

The Tribe did have the opportunity to draft Javier Baez who many believe will out grow SS but also has a premium bat. Personally I believe those two are solid talents Baez likely to have the better bat, Lindor will likely have the better overall game. It will be curious to see who has the better career, I know Tribe also seriously considered Baez before settling on Lindor.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Quick question:

How does Archie Bradley's dual sport contract work exactly?

Surely he doesn't get paid while still playing football does he? Wouldn't that ruin his amateur status?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm

A.Zajac wrote:The one thing I really want to see the Indians try and draft high next year is a right handed first baseman with some power. Man, do we need that.... I know we have Aguilar and all, but we haven't had a legit first baseman in a LONG time.

That or a RH hitting 3B or OF that could blow up into a 1B. Players don't always end up playing the position they are drafted in. The only place a 1B can move into is DH. Pujols was 3B until he blew up (same with Thome not to mention Beau Mills). While I'd take a 1B if he was the right one but I'd prefer the versatility of a 3B or OF for that role.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Regarding Lindor's weight, I'm not really that concerned about it. Just watching this Indians vs White Sox game I thought to myself "man, Alexi Ramirez is one skinny s.o.b." Low and behold, he's 6'1 175 according to the Sox website. This whole height/weight combination is blown out of proportion in my opinion. If the previously mentioned Astrubal and Alexi Ramirez can top 20 HR in a year, I don't see why Lindor can't. Heck, not to make the comparison but Jose Bautista is only 195 lbs and can jack 45+ a year. Sometimes it's about more than just height/weight.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:11 am

If you stood Lindor (right now at age 17) next to Alexei Ramirez, you'd notice a BIG difference. It's not meant to be a knock on Lindor, but that's how it is. Juan Pierre is bigger than him right now.

I look at the upside case (physically) of Lindor as Jimmy Rollins. Rollins wasn't big as a teenager, either, but he developed himself very well. Rollins has a smallish body frame and isn't tall but he added strength and kept his middle infield skills b/c of exceptional athleticism. While I don't think Lindor has the speed Rollins did at the same age, I believe Lindor shares similar athleticism that will allow him to get stronger and very reasonably maintain his great agility. I think Lindor may get there someday, but that is almost TEN YEARS AWAY! (Rollins physically peaked at ages 27-28). Lets not rush Lindor to the majors so we can get him at his physical prime.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 am

OhioBaseball wrote:If you stood Lindor (right now at age 17) next to Alexei Ramirez, you'd notice a BIG difference. It's not meant to be a knock on Lindor, but that's how it is. Juan Pierre is bigger than him right now.

I look at the upside case (physically) of Lindor as Jimmy Rollins. Rollins wasn't big as a teenager, either, but he developed himself very well. Rollins has a smallish body frame and isn't tall but he added strength and kept his middle infield skills b/c of exceptional athleticism. While I don't think Lindor has the speed Rollins did at the same age, I believe Lindor shares similar athleticism that will allow him to get stronger and very reasonably maintain his great agility. I think Lindor may get there someday, but that is almost TEN YEARS AWAY! (Rollins physically peaked at ages 27-28). Lets not rush Lindor to the majors so we can get him at his physical prime.

No doubt about the size of Alexei now versus Lindor now, but you can't forget that he's 29. I'm not sure but at 190 lbs age 29, I would assume that he was a lot less than that at 17. My point was just that a skinny guy can have good pop too.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:59 am

Jim Callis Chat at BA starting at 1. http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/que ... 1313594171

Rarely do I ask a question that doesnt get answered if I ask early, so I encourage everyone to ask questions if they have them. The more Tribe questions asked, the more that will get answered.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Now that the dust has settled from draft signing day.. when you look at the money spent to sign the draft picks, the Indians appear to have spent just about the same amount in 2011 as they did in 2010 ($ 9.38 MM), give or take. While this number wasn't exactly lauded as proof that Mr. Dolan is spending when the time is right by the local media (heaven forbid if they were to print anything that could be construed as a positive spin on Mr. Dolan's ownership).. it is the right time to spend. The Indians were third in spending on the draft in 2010. Their spot is clearly lower on that list this year as teams like the Pirates, Nats, Mariners, Royals and even the Red Sox spent more.

This is just another example of the Indians front office and ownership knowing how to run the business side of baseball.. :s_thumbsup
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby petes999 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:the Indians appear to have spent just about the same amount in 2011 as they did in 2010 ($ 9.38 MM), give or take. While this number wasn't exactly lauded as proof that Mr. Dolan is spending when the time is right by the local media (heaven forbid if they were to print anything that could be construed as a positive spin on Mr. Dolan's ownership).. it is the right time to spend. The Indians were third in spending on the draft in 2010. Their spot is clearly lower on that list this year as teams like the Pirates, Nats, Mariners, Royals and even the Red Sox spent more.

This is just another example of the Indians front office and ownership knowing how to run the business side of baseball.. :s_thumbsup

Just to quote Jim at BA a bit on the numbers

"The Pirates, ...spent a total of $17,005,700.

The Nationals didn't relinquish that record without a fight, spending $15,002,100 in bonuses.

The Royals ($14,066,000), Cubs ($11,954,550) and Diamondbacks ($11,930,000) also surpassed Washington's old bonus record. The Rays ($11,482,900), Mariners ($11,330,500), Padres ($11,020,600), Blue Jays ($10,996,500) and Red Sox ($10,978,700) brought the total of teams spending $10 million or more to 10. Only seven teams previously had topped $10 million in bonus spending, all in the previous three drafts.

... The Indians spent $8.2 million on the draft and added payroll in the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, so I can't call them cheap."

Even though Indians spent $8.2 instead of $9.38 ... remember they did go heavy a bit in the International signings with close to a $1 mill signing I believe.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm

petes999 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:the Indians appear to have spent just about the same amount in 2011 as they did in 2010 ($ 9.38 MM), give or take. While this number wasn't exactly lauded as proof that Mr. Dolan is spending when the time is right by the local media (heaven forbid if they were to print anything that could be construed as a positive spin on Mr. Dolan's ownership).. it is the right time to spend. The Indians were third in spending on the draft in 2010. Their spot is clearly lower on that list this year as teams like the Pirates, Nats, Mariners, Royals and even the Red Sox spent more.

Just to quote Jim at BA a bit on the numbers

"The Pirates, ...spent a total of $17,005,700.

The Nationals didn't relinquish that record without a fight, spending $15,002,100 in bonuses.

The Royals ($14,066,000), Cubs ($11,954,550) and Diamondbacks ($11,930,000) also surpassed Washington's old bonus record. The Rays ($11,482,900), Mariners ($11,330,500), Padres ($11,020,600), Blue Jays ($10,996,500) and Red Sox ($10,978,700) brought the total of teams spending $10 million or more to 10. Only seven teams previously had topped $10 million in bonus spending, all in the previous three drafts.

... The Indians spent $8.2 million on the draft and added payroll in the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, so I can't call them cheap."

Even though Indians spent $8.2 instead of $9.38 ... remember they did go heavy a bit in the International signings with close to a $1 mill signing I believe.
pete.. probably closer to $ 2.6-2.7 MM in international signings with Dorssys Paulino getting the biggest payout at $ 1.1 MM, Anthony Santander at around $ 385K, Francisco Miguel at $ 200 K and the combination of Kevin Calderon, Luis Lugo, Juan Marte, Cludio Bautista & Edgar Pineda adding another $ 1-1.2 MM.. But some of that bonus money was paid out last year...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:12 am

Cole Pitts didn't sign and went to Ga Tech....but will be the first starter for Tech in regional play:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/georgia-tech-leans-on-1450285.html
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Not Tribe related but thought it was interesting and worth posting, Stetson Allie (guy the Tribe was intersted in last year) has been switched from a pitcher to a position player by the Pirates. 37 walks in like 26 innings or something. Yeah that's pretty terrible but suprised they are making the switch this quick and mid-season...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk