RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Draft Signing Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:38 pm

JP_Frost wrote:I'm really intrigued by Roache and Trey Williams. Though, I think they'll be long gone before we draft.

Unless we don't sign Lindor. Also, Diekroger sucks. Exposed by the new bats just like MacPhee.

We should start the 2012 Draft Thread already. :friends:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Yeah, rocky. Gallo was there and crushed a hr 440 feet. It was impressive. He's really a good athlete with obvious physical projection. He played 1b and some 3rd. The thing with him is he's got a great arm but not the pure infield skills (nor running ability) If I draft him now, I try him at 3b and see if he can improve, but this is a guy that you draft bc of his power potential. His arms are long so you may get concerned about his swing getting long. Kind of a young Adam Dunn with hopefully better avg and the potential to play 3b (instead of OF).

Gallo is legit and I'm projecting him out as a 1b. Could turn into a 3b with work. Hes one of the guys I'd be ok with if no lindor.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm going out on a limb and saying the tribe announces 4 signings tonight all over slot.
Lindor
Howard
Tarpley
Peters
Well.. based on what's been posted and reported.. that's a pretty thick limb.. I'd agree with you 75 % of the way.. I don't think Peter signs..his low draft position, what he's seen with Trevor Bauer as a smallish SP, and, his commitment to Texas all play into him passing on the Indians and becoming a poor college kid in a great program.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby skydancing8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:01 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm going out on a limb and saying the tribe announces 4 signings tonight all over slot.
Lindor
Howard
Tarpley
Peters

I really feel like/want this to be true.
skydancing8
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:34 pm

God this process is such a joke. Hopefully just 5 hours and 25 minutes left of this nonsense.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:37 pm

BA did a podcast on draft signings that I listened to on the train home. Jim Calis said it's probably going to take sandwich round money to get Tarpley. After listening to it, it's kind of like these advisors/players think teams are playing with monopoly money. This is real money!

Danny Hultzen is talking 10 million major league deal and is threatening to go to medical school. If I were the GM of the Mariners, I'd offer slot, tell him to take it or leave it and I won't be answering my phone the rest of the night b/c I've got a major league team to manage. Good luck in medical school, bro. I'll take #2 in the 2012 draft if you're going to act like you're Strasburg, Jr. It's just ridiculous. There's gotta be an inflection point where too much is thrown into the draft and the marginal benefit drops.

The Indians will probably sign a couple guys for too much money and we've been conditioned to believe that such action is a good thing, but is it really? Look, if it's going to take almost 2 million to get Tarpley and Peters they can shove it. That 2 million is real money that undoubtedly has an opportunity cost that could be invested in the major league team next year (or even this year through a waiver trade / salary dump from another team to help the Indians win the AL Central). If passing on a couple of these guys (not Howard or Lindor) means we've got a couple million more to invest in the major league team next year then I'm for it. Don't tell me the Indians have a draft budget and if they don't spend it then the money vanishes into nowhere b/c that's silly.

Hoping for some reasonably aggressive moves by the Indians tonight, but let's not overpay for modest talent.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:The cream of the coming 2012 crop may be the first two guys:

Lance McCullers RHP,
Kenny Diekroeger SS,

Although, any one of these guys would be a nice addition to the wigwam:

Mark Appel RHP
Gavin Cecchini SS
Jake Barrett RHP
Brian Goodwin OF
Joey Gallo 3B
Nick Williams OF
Devin Marrero SS
Kevin Gausman RHP
Lucas Giolito RHP
Victor Roache 1B
Trey Williams 3B

Rocky had a post (since deleted) that I liked. I'll share his sentiment by saying Diekroeger isn't very good. I saw him and I wanted to like him, but couldn't. Marrero is better, but I'm not going to say he's all that much better than him.

You're going to have to add Byron Buxton to that list. Saw him this weekend and he's a top talent. He looks like a major leaguer (physically) right now, he can run, throw and I thought he swung the bat well, too. The guy has talent and it takes no imagination to see it. Also would add Jesmuel Valentin (SS from Florida) to the list, too.

McCullers has been getting attention for over a year now. He's certainly good, but Giolito has surpassed him in my mind. 6'6", 220 lbs, still considerably projectable and was throwing 92-96 mph with run and sink with less effort than McCullers, and a potentially plus curveball.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 pm

I heard the real price on Tarpley and Peters was around 1 mil. I'd go close for both. BTW I don't live in the Cleveland area or Ohio for that matter... So my guesses / assumptions are based on my 'homework' not the local media reports and I don't bother with the podcasts this and a cpl other sites are usually where I glean info. So again my guess is the Tribe signs the all 4 of Lindor $2.85 mil, Howard $2.25 mil, Tarpley $1.15 mil, Peters $1 mil that would but the Tribe up around $12 mil overall (?).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, that money probably wouldn't vanish into thin air if they don't spend it on draftees, but fact is that they do have a seperate budget for the draft.

I agree that some of this stuff gets a little out of hand, but most of that is posturing as well. Let's not forget that if prospects of the same talent level and age would be on the open market prices would probably be the same or even higher. The only thing you can look at is how to get talent into your organization and what that would cost. If the Indians think it's a good investment to spend that much money on these kids, they should do it. Especially for smaller market teams this is needed, because let's not kid ourselves that $2M would mean the difference between getting someone like Lance Berkman this offseason and having to settle for Ryan Ludwick.

That said, I do think change is welcome in this process and hopefully next year we'll see some of that.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I heard the real price on Tarpley and Peters was around 1 mil. I'd go close for both. BTW I don't live in the Cleveland area or Ohio for that matter... So my guesses / assumptions are based on my 'homework' not the local media reports and I don't bother with the podcasts this and a cpl other sites are usually where I glean info. So again my guess is the Tribe signs the all 4 of Lindor $2.85 mil, Howard $2.25 mil, Tarpley $1.15 mil, Peters $1 mil that would but the Tribe up around $12 mil overall (?).

Not sure if this means he's an Indian or not, but it seems at least positive. I sent a pretty long private message to Dillon Peters on Facebook earlier today where I pretty much laid out all the positives involved with decising to go ahead and sign with the Indians, and how the league views the entire Indians organization in terms of pitching development from Goodyear through to Cleveland.

At the end, I basically stated, whatever your final decision is God Bless, and good luck to you ..but hope to see you in an Indian uniform !

About five minutes ago he just respended back to me with a thumbs up ... so. take it for what that might be worth.
LOL. I'm taking it as a positive sign for us.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:15 pm

danh8 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I heard the real price on Tarpley and Peters was around 1 mil. I'd go close for both. BTW I don't live in the Cleveland area or Ohio for that matter... So my guesses / assumptions are based on my 'homework' not the local media reports and I don't bother with the podcasts this and a cpl other sites are usually where I glean info. So again my guess is the Tribe signs the all 4 of Lindor $2.85 mil, Howard $2.25 mil, Tarpley $1.15 mil, Peters $1 mil that would but the Tribe up around $12 mil overall (?).

Not sure if this means he's an Indian or not, but it seems at least positive. I sent a pretty long private message to Dillon Peters on Facebook earlier today where I pretty much laid out all the positives involved with decising to go ahead and sign with the Indians, and how the league views the entire Indians organization in terms of pitching development from Goodyear through to Cleveland.

At the end, I basically stated, whatever your final decision is God Bless, and good luck to you ..but hope to see you in an Indian uniform !

About five minutes ago he just respended back to me with a thumbs up ... so. take it for what that might be worth.
Very nice gesture and well done.. if you feel the information provided in the facebook offering wasn't of too personal of a nature, you might want to post it here..it would be nice to share these sentiments with respect to this negotiation...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby skydancing8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:31 pm

danh8 wrote:

That's really cool. I'd like to read that if you wouldn't mind posting it here.
skydancing8
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Burch Smith signed for $250K with the Padres.

:cry:
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Burch Smith signed for $250K with the Padres.

I hate that guy. Just for you JP! :friends:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Rocky55 wrote:

I hate that guy. Just for you JP! :friends:

Thank you. But still, Burch in Petco? That's atleast 5 consecutive Cy Young awards.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Is the home page the best place to keep up with the signing news or do I want to keep checking this thread? Early day tomorrow, have to get to bed soon. :s_bored
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Is the home page the best place to keep up with the signing news or do I want to keep checking this thread? Early day tomorrow, have to get to bed soon. :s_bored

Don't know. I have been following twitter all day.

Speaking of tweets, what exactly did Tony mean with his last one? One late 1st round pick and one sandwich guy were done, but couldn't be announced yet. I don't see how that involves the Tribe or am I missing something?
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 pm

danh8 wrote:

That's awesome. Well played, sir.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm

danh8 wrote:

Thanks for sharing Dan. And fellas, no need for him to re-post the message. It was a private conversation meant to be between him and Dillon. :drinks:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Welp, we're in the home stretch!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 pm

keithlaw
Apparently Dillon Howard has signed with Cleveland
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 pm

No surprise. I wish I could share a lot of the stuff with these things I know but absolutely can't say. But all I will say is no surprise at all on Howard. He was coming here all along.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:19 pm

I'll go out on a limb here and say we sign... Lindor, Peters, and one/two other players and Tarpley doesn't sign. Just a gut feeling. We'll see.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Mayo reports Howard for 1.85 million. That's still a hefty bonus, but positive for the Indians considering some of us were expecting 2+ million (including me).
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:22 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Mayo reports Howard for 1.85 million. That's still a hefty bonus, but positive for the Indians considering some of us were expecting 2+ million (including me).

Solid deal. I was expecting somewhere in the $2 million range as well. Interested to see what Lindor will get.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm

I'll say this, Burch Smith seriously regrets not signing with the Indians last year at this time. I had gone back and forth with him kinda like I have with Dillon Peters this year, and he was right on the edge on signing, but ultimately went on mom's side ... It cost him lots of money and a year that didn't go at all like he had hoped it would.

I hope Dillon Peters makes the smart choice for both he and the Indians..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Falcons115 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Kevin Goldstein saying its not looking good on Lindor, have a ton of ground to cover in 10 minutes.
Falcons115
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby danh8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 pm

I think Dillon Peters is in the fold, folks..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Falcons115 wrote:Kevin Goldstein saying its not looking good on Lindor, have a ton of ground to cover in 10 minutes.

Commence board meltdown in 5, 4, 3....
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 pm

When it comes to Lindor the only moment it takes is the one right before 12 midnight. We know exactrly what we either have to agree to or not ...it's just whether we say yay or nay.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:59 pm

UUUUMMMMMMM...................Is this not going to happen?????? What???
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am

Bradley signed for $5 million, wow!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:01 am

A.Zajac wrote:Bradley signed for $5 million, wow!

not shocking to me, and a great deal since its spread over 5 years
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 am

Purke deal on the other hand is crazy, worst deal I might have ever seen
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 am

Matt Purke gets a major league deal close to 4 million.. :drinks:
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 am

Josh Bell also signed with the Pirates.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 am

Wow Josh Bell signed with the Pirates. Guess his whole "don't draft me I'm going to Texas" thing wasn't true after-all. Wonder how much $ it took.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 am

Lindor signed.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 am

Hooray we signed Lindor! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 am

jellis wrote:Purke deal on the other hand is crazy, worst deal I might have ever seen

The Nationals love to throw money at guys they want. See: Jason Werth.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 am

Josh Bell took $5 million to sign.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:06 am

ChadS17 wrote:Lindor signed.

now I can go to bed
2.9 is not bat ay all either, especially when you look at bradley and purke
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:06 am

Lindor got $2.9 million.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:07 am

Cole gets $8 million from Pirates.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:07 am

$7.5 million for Bubba Starling.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:08 am

Any official word on Peters?
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 am

Jim Callis: #Mariners get No. 2 pick Hultzen: 5 yrs, $8.5m guarantee, $6.35m bonus, max value $10.6m #mlbdraft
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 am

No tarply or peters
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 am

Indians don't get Tarpley AND Peters.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 am

A.Zajac wrote:Indians don't get Tarpley AND Peters.

They didnt get either of them
jellis
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk