RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Whose number one, Whose top ten

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: Whose number one, Whose top ten

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Edible14 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:Anyone else think Callis' list sucks? I don't think he did his homework.

I was about to tell the poster it was the best list I've seen, but then read it was callis'. He did a good job.

Aguilar is not on the list, but that guy had an abnormally high babip in low a. Also applaud the inclusion of Ronny Rodriguez. I know for a fact some scouts prefer him to wolters.

Guys at baseball prospectus have seen some individual teams' prospect lists and say there is a LOT of variability from one teams list to the next. You will get lots of different opinions on prospects.

You know, I used to use this argument all the time, but the sabermetric community seems to think that BABIP means nothing for batters. If you use BABIP, you end up having to say that Adam Everett and Luis Valbuena aren't "bad" hitters, they're just unlucky... which is clearly stupid. It just so happens that most "bad" hitters have a low BABIP and "good" hitters tend to have an above .300 BABIP (for instance, ARod's career BABIP is .331, Pujols' is .311).

Which is why you also look at things such as LD%. No stat has alot of meaning without looking at the rest.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Some batters are high babip guys, consistently. Certainly some skill is neglected in the stat. Aguilar's babip in lake county was above average by more than 2 standard deviations, and significantly higher than his 2010 figure. So i think its an outlier. He k's a lot and think he's probably more like a 260-270 hitter. Babip is often applied too often and seems to be a flavor of the week kind of stat, but here I think it's applicable.

Which was only 61 games split between 2 levels that were both below low-A. Not sure I'd care much about those numbers. But I'm not disputing that his BABIP is high (it is)... I'm just saying that whatever "luck" he's had is somewhat negligible IMO, because even if he's a little less lucky, he's still putting up amazing numbers. Having a wOBA above .400 is just ludicrously good.

That all being said, I think the BIG caveat to his performance has to be his age. 21 and in low-a means you probably SHOULD be putting up really good numbers.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:19 am

Edible14 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:Some batters are high babip guys, consistently. Certainly some skill is neglected in the stat. Aguilar's babip in lake county was above average by more than 2 standard deviations, and significantly higher than his 2010 figure. So i think its an outlier. He k's a lot and think he's probably more like a 260-270 hitter. Babip is often applied too often and seems to be a flavor of the week kind of stat, but here I think it's applicable.

Which was only 61 games split between 2 levels that were both below low-A. Not sure I'd care much about those numbers. But I'm not disputing that his BABIP is high (it is)... I'm just saying that whatever "luck" he's had is somewhat negligible IMO, because even if he's a little less lucky, he's still putting up amazing numbers. Having a wOBA above .400 is just ludicrously good.

That all being said, I think the BIG caveat to his performance has to be his age. 21 and in low-a means you probably SHOULD be putting up really good numbers.

Hi Ed, Aguilar was the youngest 1B showing any degree of success in the Midwest League. And he was promoted to Kinston one month after his 21st birthday. I don't think his age, however, is as big an issue as his ability to recognize pitches. Like many young power hitters, that separates the wheat from the chaff. I suspect he will see as many breaking balls and off speed pitches as Hi A pitchers can throw. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk