RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Unsigned Draft Picks

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Unsigned Draft Picks

Postby smt1192 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 pm

The Indians aren't going to sign all of their draft picks, and there is a good chance they won't even offer a contract to a good amount of the guys that they do not sign. What happens to a player that is not offered a contract or does not come to terms with the team that drafts him? Does that player have to wait until the next year to be drafted again or is their a period when un-signed draft picks can sign as free agents? This doesn't make sense in my mind because then high draft picks would hold out of signing with a team and then could field the best offers from around the league, however I don't know what the official rule is.

If anyone could shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated. :s_biggrin
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Unsigned Draft Picks

Postby daingean » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:22 pm

High School players will enter college. Those attending a 4 year school will have to wait until after their 3rd year of college unless they are a certain age by draft day after their 2nd year. Those attending a Community College or Junior College will be available to be drafted next year.

College juniors will be eligible in the next draft.

College seniors are still able to be signed until next draft.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby smt1192 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:02 pm

daingean wrote:High School players will enter college. Those attending a 4 year school will have to wait until after their 3rd year of college unless they are a certain age by draft day after their 2nd year. Those attending a Community College or Junior College will be available to be drafted next year.

What happens if a high school player isn't enrolled in college? Do they have to take a year off (like the NBA)?

And when you say college seniors are still abled to be signed until the next draft, do you mean by any team, or the August 15th deadline does not apply to them and the team that drafted them has a whole year to sign them?
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:18 pm

smt1192 wrote:
daingean wrote:High School players will enter college. Those attending a 4 year school will have to wait until after their 3rd year of college unless they are a certain age by draft day after their 2nd year. Those attending a Community College or Junior College will be available to be drafted next year.

What happens if a high school player isn't enrolled in college? Do they have to take a year off (like the NBA)?

And when you say college seniors are still abled to be signed until the next draft, do you mean by any team, or the August 15th deadline does not apply to them and the team that drafted them has a whole year to sign them?

The August 15 deadline does not apply to college seniors (I am pretty sure about that). I think the high school seniors not enrolled in college do have to wait (again not 100% sure).

There used to be a rule that if a guy was drafted but not offered a contract w/in 30 days then he was a FA but that rule no longer applies.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby smt1192 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:24 pm

daingean wrote:
smt1192 wrote:

The August 15 deadline does not apply to college seniors (I am pretty sure about that). I think the high school seniors not enrolled in college do have to wait (again not 100% sure).

There used to be a rule that if a guy was drafted but not offered a contract w/in 30 days then he was a FA but that rule no longer applies.

That clears a lot of things up for me, thanks Daingean :good:
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Indians Prospect Talk