RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:52 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Lake County shouldn't be short of talent next yr either. Tony Wolters, Bryson Myles, Jordan Smith, Alex Lavisky and Jake Lowery should all make stops passing through the minors.

There is a gap in talent however that is AA ready... Pitching wise however the depth of the system is arms, there is no short supply and likely more to come.

Can't forget all of the Arizona arms (Sterling, Elvis, Sisco, Aviles), possibility of Dillon Howard, Franky Lindor, or even Luigi Rodriguez (along with all of the singings from this year) making an appearance in Single-A next year.

Definitely going to be fun to watch.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm

The Tribe is loaded... There's an absolute wealth of talent in the lower levels and a lot of these guys are high upside guys, some great adds the past few yrs. I guess the fun side of this is alot of these guys are so young they'll likely 'grow up together'. When you consider Lindor, Howard, Tarpley, Haase haven't officially signed the system is only going to get better. Maybe the Tribe can still bring in a cpl of Embree, Ruiz, Merritt, Brady, Peters, Kramer, Sparks.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:26 pm

If anyone is interested, the Captains series against the Great Lakes Loons the first week of August (8/2-8/5) will be televised on milb.tv. The Great Lakes team is the only team outside of AAA that has their home games televised. If your like me and live too far to see the captains play, this is a great opportunity to check out the most exciting team in the system. It only costs 7 bucks for a month subscription, and it would be fun to get a wide range of feedback from the board, knowing we all watched the same games. Either way, I'll be subscribing and giving feedback on what I see (and hopefully checking out some Clippers games in the process too).
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the tip. Might check into that, looking at buying a house so might be too busy... :crazy: for the tribe???
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Someone needs to tell Jesus Aguilar to calm down or else he might end up being a top 5 organizational prospect come next year.

What's up with Levon Washington? Hasn't been in the lineup since the 17th and was finally starting to hit the ball well. Injury?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:49 am

entertheshoe wrote:Someone needs to tell Jesus Aguilar to calm down or else he might end up being a top 5 organizational prospect come next year.

What's up with Levon Washington? Hasn't been in the lineup since the 17th and was finally starting to hit the ball well. Injury?

Aguilar with 20 HR & 71 RBI in 91 games?!?? Can you be on a hot streak for 90 games? Hopefully in a couple of years LaPorta can take his act out of town.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 am

Rocky55 wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:Someone needs to tell Jesus Aguilar to calm down or else he might end up being a top 5 organizational prospect come next year.

Aguilar with 20 HR & 71 RBI in 91 games?!?? Can you be on a hot streak for 90 games? Hopefully in a couple of years LaPorta can take his act out of town.

I keep wondering why he isn't getting promoted to Kinston. I know they have Tice & Burnett, but there's got to be a way to make room. Maybe move Tice back to 3B and promote Abraham? Move somebody up to DH at Akron and get rid of Copeland?

I'm thinking 3 years of DSL, ASL and NYPL ball has to count for 1 year for Aguilar, right? So, that would make him Rule V eligible after next season. Now, it's rare that a guy playing at high-A gets taken, but if he continues to be THIS good, he could be in Akron by then and could be pretty much an automatic add.

Still a long time before that, though. And there's a lot of "if"s in that statement.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 am

Edible14 wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

I keep wondering why he isn't getting promoted to Kinston. I know they have Tice & Burnett, but there's got to be a way to make room. Maybe move Tice back to 3B and promote Abraham? Move somebody up to DH at Akron and get rid of Copeland?

I'm thinking 3 years of DSL, ASL and NYPL ball has to count for 1 year for Aguilar, right? So, that would make him Rule V eligible after next season. Now, it's rare that a guy playing at high-A gets taken, but if he continues to be THIS good, he could be in Akron by then and could be pretty much an automatic add.

Still a long time before that, though. And there's a lot of "if"s in that statement.

Hey Ed, I agree with you guys that on the surface it looks like Aguilar is ready for promotion. I have not seen him since ST but I was very impressed with what I saw then and have seen on tape since. I doubt that the Indians are holding him back because of any organizational use of warm, untalented bodies such as Tice, Burnett and Abraham. These guys are organizational filler who won't hold up any prospect IMO. I would guess, from what I see, that he is in LC for education purposes and will remain there until he improves some swing mechanics and his pitch recognition. I would suspect that the last thing the Indians want is to rush another good potential RH power bat prospect like they did with Abreu. Don't get me wrong! I see significant improvement in both areas or he would not be hitting for this average. I think Tony would agree that the power was projectible but the hitting is an unanticipated bonus. I feel confident he will post if he doesn't. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Nice debut for the 18 year old Felix Sterling

6IP, 3H, 1R/ER, 3BB, 2K
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:25 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Nice debut for the 18 year old Felix Sterling

6IP, 3H, 1R/ER, 3BB, 2K

Yep.

Here's my (nowhere even close to expert) analysis:

Stuff: Awesome. Overpowering, even though a bit raw (he is only 18) . He could be dominant once he gets more polished.

Mound Presence: Sprayed a few wild balls early in the game, but the yips are understandable. It was his first game in front of a significant crowd (at least since coming stateside - I'm not sure what kind of numbers the DSL draws).
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:I would guess, from what I see, that he is in LC for education purposes and will remain there until he improves some swing mechanics and his pitch recognition. I would suspect that the last thing the Indians want is to rush another good potential RH power bat prospect like they did with Abreu. Don't get me wrong! I see significant improvement in both areas or he would not be hitting for this average. I think Tony would agree that the power was projectible but the hitting is an unanticipated bonus. I feel confident he will post if he doesn't. :pleasantry:

Spot on.

Aguilar should remain in Lake County the final few weeks of the season....maybe promote him late in August to be with Kinston for the playoffs.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm

LeVon Washington has been placed on the DL today.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I wouldn't expect Aguilar to be promoted. He's had a great year, but there are some concerns. He's struck out a lot this year, which is worrisome b/c it's low-A ball. His BABIP is .352, which is a couple standard deviations above average, indicating that his batting average should probably not be as high as it is now. The last two years, he had a BABIP around .290 both years, which is on the low side of average. Aguilar has a lot of extra base hits so I'll give him credit, but he's probably more like a .260-.270 hitter. His stats kind of say he's a very good mistake hitter, but is pitchable. He's going to need to improve on that b/c as he climbs the ladder, he'll face pitchers with better command that can exploit weak spots in his swing. The good news is that he's relatively young (it wouldn't be truly fair to say he's 21 b/c he just turned it last month) and can improve, but there are some warning signs here.

Don't want to sound like a hater, b/c I think he'll be in the top 20 Midwest League prospects at the end of the year, but he's gotta cut down on the strike outs.

I don't want to continue to talk this guy up, but Ronny Rodriguez has an isolated power (SLG - BA) number only 30 points lower than Aguilar, and Rodriguez is 2 years younger and plays an up the middle position. His OBP sucks and his K-rate is accelerating the last week or two, but I'm just sayin'.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 am

I'd like to be more excited about some of these guys, but looking at Midwest League Statistics during the 1997-2006 seasons, I have some significant doubts.

I took a look at guys who were 18 or 19 when in the Midwest League, and I'll just summarize by stating that I can find nobody with stats similar to Giovanny Urshela, Ronny Rodriguez or LeVon Washington who went on to have good major league success. Many with better stats at that age, in the Midwest League never amounted to much either, but I can find nobody who profiles similar to these guys but did well in the majors.

So, at this time I'd kind of be doubtful if any of these guys turned into significant major league players. Of course there can always be the exception, that is one of the things that makes following the minors interesting. But the statistical evidence really weighs strongly against all three of those players.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:24 am

artgold wrote:I'd like to be more excited about some of these guys, but looking at Midwest League Statistics during the 1997-2006 seasons, I have some significant doubts.

I took a look at guys who were 18 or 19 when in the Midwest League, and I'll just summarize by stating that I can find nobody with stats similar to Giovanny Urshela, Ronny Rodriguez or LeVon Washington who went on to have good major league success. Many with better stats at that age, in the Midwest League never amounted to much either, but I can find nobody who profiles similar to these guys but did well in the majors.

So, at this time I'd kind of be doubtful if any of these guys turned into significant major league players. Of course there can always be the exception, that is one of the things that makes following the minors interesting. But the statistical evidence really weighs strongly against all three of those players.

Interesting. I think universally the statistics weight strongly against most prospects bc most do not work out. Looking back at past Indians top ten prospect lists is kind of depressing! I got into this prospect stuff like back in '98. I went back to my parents' house a couple months ago and pulled out my old John sickels minor league scouting notebook (rick ankiel on one of the covers). I remember clamoring over the guys in his top 50 list back then and I look back at the list and can't believe how poorly most guys turned out!

Yeah, it's unlikely those guys you mentioned turn out to be anything, but it's fun to follow and stick your neck on the line on these prospects from an analytical perspective.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 am

Really its a mystery..... Urshela doesn't look good to me at all, and don't really expect much from him. Right now Ronny has some chops, but his terrible plate discipline is gonna eat him up unless he is keeps up his trajectory of being one of the best hitting SS of ALLTIME. :lol: Aguilar has some warts but his overall ability keeps him relevant.... For how long? If AA doesn't do him in I think he makes it.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Aguilar promoted to Kinston. Interesting move...not a fan of it, but a good 6-week test for him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Aguilar promoted to Kinston. Interesting move...not a fan of it, but a good 6-week test for him.

I'm always a fan of a prospect getting a promotion. If he sucks in Kinston, THEN I'll not be a fan of it. :friends:

As a sidenote, I think this might mean that Aguilar won't be traded. I don't see why they would promote someone just to trade them 1-3 days later.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:33 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Aguilar promoted to Kinston. Interesting move...not a fan of it, but a good 6-week test for him.

I'm always a fan of a prospect getting a promotion. If he sucks in Kinston, THEN I'll not be a fan of it. :friends:

As a sidenote, I think this might mean that Aguilar won't be traded. I don't see why they would promote someone just to trade them 1-3 days later.

I LOVE IT!!!!! - haven't looked but I wonder what percent of pitchers in high A started out the year in Low A. Get his feet wet now, I don't think he is going to have much of a problem adjusting a week or 2. with Abreu gone they definitely needed to add a bat there and I guess they decided to go BIG and this is a move you would expect a gutsy, aggressive team to make. Good luck Aguilar!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Even though he is not an OF, Aguilar is the roster replacement. Burnette becomes a useless OF instead of useless 1B. Problem solved. I think it would not be prudent to expect huge things from Aguilar in Kinston this year. I expect high A pitchers to give him some trouble now but believe the move benefits him and the organization for next year and hopefully beyond. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Ebby Calvin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 am

It looks like Jordan Casas will be following Mike Rayl and Jesus Aguilar to Kinston.
I think I need a nickname.
Ebby Calvin
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah and Chase Burnette back to Lake County.

Also Washington on the DL because he got severely dehydrated I guess last road trip or something along those lines. Should be back soon.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 pm

I've seen enough.

I'm officially a member of the Luigi Rodriguez fan club.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 pm

entertheshoe wrote:I've seen enough.

Do tell. What prompted your decision??
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:

How can you not like a 19 year old switch hitter who is batting above .380 and hasn't missed a step since his promotion to Lake County? I don't think the guy has gone back to back games without a hit this season.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Shoe,
I was just curious what put you firmly on his bandwagon. For some fans its seeing the player in person for the 1st time. For others its 'seeing' that one at bat or one play in the field that makes it clear that this player has the 'it'.

I haven't seen LRod in person yet but I hope I'm able to before the end of the season.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Shoe,
I was just curious what put you firmly on his bandwagon. For some fans its seeing the player in person for the 1st time. For others its 'seeing' that one at bat or one play in the field that makes it clear that this player has the 'it'.

I haven't seen LRod in person yet but I hope I'm able to before the end of the season.

Oh, I was just being facetious. Unfortunately, I live down in Florida or else I would definitely go and see him in person. Heck, I don't even know what the guy looks like, I just love how well he has hit so far. Definitely someone to keep an eye on at the very least, although I think the secret is already out for the most part.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby osueddy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 am

entertheshoe wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:

How can you not like a 19 year old switch hitter who is batting above .380 and hasn't missed a step since his promotion to Lake County? I don't think the guy has gone back to back games without a hit this season.

What makes it even better is that he is 18 years old (11-13-1992).
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby BrianM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Was able to watch most of the captains game tonight on milb.tv. Here are some thoughts:

Michael Goodnight - Wasn't very impressed with Goodnight. On paper his game doesn't look terrible, but I saw a lot that I did not like. There was no radar gun on the broadcast, but the announcers mentioned he had hit 94 and 95 a couple of time with the fastball, but it has very, very little movement if any at all and he was unable to command it a majority of the night. He managed to keep the ball out of the middle of the plate, but was consistently missing off both corners. His curveball has nice 12 to 6 action, and he was able to mix up the speed generally sitting around 75-76 and spinning it all the way down to 71, but he has absolutely no control of it. The one time he got it in the zone he left it up and it was driven for a hard single over the shortstops head. I don't scout baseball, and I have never tried to critique a pitchers mechanics, but I am a tennis instructor and in this situation there are a lot of comparisons I can make to a serve in tennis. Higher level tennis players acquire extra mph on their serves by increasing the speed in the rotation of their hips on contact. Accelerating this turn and timing the contact point properly can add anywhere from 5-20 mph on the serve, but it also makes it very difficult to maintain consistency throughout a match because it becomes extremely difficult to time up the ball toss due to the inability to repeat such a quick turn in the hips. When you watch Goodnight throw, his motion starts with a smooth, high leg kick, but everything speeds up as he drives the leg back down to the ground. The quick drive down allows him to rotate his hips as fast as he does which is why he can maintain the velocity he does, but it is also why he is unable to command the baseball. I would be very concerned with his future as a player unless he can learn to control his body, and Im not sure he can afford to change his mechanics at this point because his secondary stuff did not look good enough to support the loss of velocity he would experience with his fastball. Like I said, Im not a scout, but the laws of kinetic energy can be applied in all sports, and they have left me with very little confidence in Goodnight's future.

Geovanny Urshela - Extremely impressive with the glove. Made a leaping catch off a line drive and then beautifully played a line drive groundball and threw a bullet to second that started a double play. The way he moved just looked natural. He looked ok with the bat, but his bat speed appeared to be a little slow (Kinda Laporta-ish). He is a pretty solid looking kid though and he may be able to develop some power as he grows

Luigi Rodriguez - Didn't have a great game at the plate, but I already love this kid. He's got the Hanley Ramirez/Brandon Phillips Swagger. Every time he came to the plate he had that "OOOOO Im gonna get you boy!!" look on his face and he just looked extremely comfortable. He's definitely not a big kid, and hopefully he'll have some more growth in him, but right now he can definitely fly on the basebaths. He almost beat out a routine ground ball to 3rd base. Didn't get to see him throw, so Im not sure about the arm strength, but ill be able to see more tomorrow.

Ronny Rodriguez - Really like what I saw from Ronny tonight. He let a routine groundball go right through his legs late in the game, but made two very nice plays from the field and has an absolute cannon for an arm. I know Lindor and Wolters supposedly have nice arms, but Id be shocked if either could throw the ball like Ronny. At the plate he actually showed a pretty patient approach, taking the pitcher deep into the count almost every at-bat. His first at-bat he ripped a 1-2 offspeed pitch on the outside corner right back up the middle and then showed above average speed on the bases. In his second bat he hit a lazy popup to the second basemen, but the way he ran on the routine out was why he was my player of the game. He looked like he was trying to outrun 4 steelers DB's. Definitely showed signs of Grady the way he hustled.

The announcers said Monsalve was out of the lineup because he was under the weather, and the starter for great lakes was actually very impressive (Soft tossing lefty who reminded me of sowers). Hopefully the offense has a better performance tomorrow and Monsalve gets back in the lineup. Ill be back tomorrow with more notes.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 pm

BrianM wrote:Was able to watch most of the captains game tonight on milb.tv. Here are some thoughts:

Michael Goodnight - Wasn't very impressed with Goodnight. On paper his game doesn't look terrible, but I saw a lot that I did not like. There was no radar gun on the broadcast, but the announcers mentioned he had hit 94 and 95 a couple of time with the fastball, but it has very, very little movement if any at all and he was unable to command it a majority of the night. He managed to keep the ball out of the middle of the plate, but was consistently missing off both corners. His curveball has nice 12 to 6 action, and he was able to mix up the speed generally sitting around 75-76 and spinning it all the way down to 71, but he has absolutely no control of it. The one time he got it in the zone he left it up and it was driven for a hard single over the shortstops head. I don't scout baseball, and I have never tried to critique a pitchers mechanics, but I am a tennis instructor and in this situation there are a lot of comparisons I can make to a serve in tennis. Higher level tennis players acquire extra mph on their serves by increasing the speed in the rotation of their hips on contact. Accelerating this turn and timing the contact point properly can add anywhere from 5-20 mph on the serve, but it also makes it very difficult to maintain consistency throughout a match because it becomes extremely difficult to time up the ball toss due to the inability to repeat such a quick turn in the hips. When you watch Goodnight throw, his motion starts with a smooth, high leg kick, but everything speeds up as he drives the leg back down to the ground. The quick drive down allows him to rotate his hips as fast as he does which is why he can maintain the velocity he does, but it is also why he is unable to command the baseball. I would be very concerned with his future as a player unless he can learn to control his body, and Im not sure he can afford to change his mechanics at this point because his secondary stuff did not look good enough to support the loss of velocity he would experience with his fastball. Like I said, Im not a scout, but the laws of kinetic energy can be applied in all sports, and they have left me with very little confidence in Goodnight's future.

Geovanny Urshela - Extremely impressive with the glove. Made a leaping catch off a line drive and then beautifully played a line drive groundball and threw a bullet to second that started a double play. The way he moved just looked natural. He looked ok with the bat, but his bat speed appeared to be a little slow (Kinda Laporta-ish). He is a pretty solid looking kid though and he may be able to develop some power as he grows

Luigi Rodriguez - Didn't have a great game at the plate, but I already love this kid. He's got the Hanley Ramirez/Brandon Phillips Swagger. Every time he came to the plate he had that "OOOOO Im gonna get you boy!!" look on his face and he just looked extremely comfortable. He's definitely not a big kid, and hopefully he'll have some more growth in him, but right now he can definitely fly on the basebaths. He almost beat out a routine ground ball to 3rd base. Didn't get to see him throw, so Im not sure about the arm strength, but ill be able to see more tomorrow.

Ronny Rodriguez - Really like what I saw from Ronny tonight. He let a routine groundball go right through his legs late in the game, but made two very nice plays from the field and has an absolute cannon for an arm. I know Lindor and Wolters supposedly have nice arms, but Id be shocked if either could throw the ball like Ronny. At the plate he actually showed a pretty patient approach, taking the pitcher deep into the count almost every at-bat. His first at-bat he ripped a 1-2 offspeed pitch on the outside corner right back up the middle and then showed above average speed on the bases. In his second bat he hit a lazy popup to the second basemen, but the way he ran on the routine out was why he was my player of the game. He looked like he was trying to outrun 4 steelers DB's. Definitely showed signs of Grady the way he hustled.

The announcers said Monsalve was out of the lineup because he was under the weather, and the starter for great lakes was actually very impressive (Soft tossing lefty who reminded me of sowers). Hopefully the offense has a better performance tomorrow and Monsalve gets back in the lineup. Ill be back tomorrow with more notes.

Awesome Brian! Tough game to catch eh? 6 out of 9 innings our hitters went 1-2-3. Looks like their pitchers were pretty money.

Thanks for this, I look forward to your write-up tomorrow.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Game notes from 8/4

Felix Sterling - Someones gonna need to check the authenticity of his birth certificate, cause this is one big kid. I never got a very good look at his face, but I cant imagine he has much more physical development ahead of him. He came out strong with a perfect first inning in which he hit 96 with his fastball, but as the game went on he really lost his command. He started missing high and in and low and away to the righties and high and away and low and in to the lefties. I know this is a mechanical flaw that even major league pitchers experience from time to time, but dont know the exact problem. If anyone who knows better can elaborate that would be great. He looked pretty nervous after the first inning, and the announcers mentioned that this was probably the largest crowd hes ever played against. Even with the poor fastball command (7 walks), there were definitely some positives I saw. The command of his breaking pitch, a tight breaking slider, was very good most of the night and hitters seemed to consistently be fooled by it. Players were also unable to square up on his fastball when he did find the zone with it (2 hits allowed). He managed to get out of every jam he put himself in and kept his team in the game. If the mechanical issue that caused his wildness can be easily corrected and if he can develop a third pitch (only threw fball and slider), then we should have a pretty nice pitching prospect on our hands.

Nick Bartalone - 6th round pick? I know he is still young but he is very small. He made a nice play in the field and actually had a couple of opposite field hits, but im not sure he'll ever move past low A due to the fact he will probably never develop any power, and our middle infield is going to very crowded in the next couple years. Ill definitely be rooting for him to succeed, but this was definitely an over draft IMO.

Dale Dickerson - Im pretty sure his first name was Dale. Side arming righthander who relieved Sterling actually did a very nice job. Good movement on the fastball and had success against both righties and lefties. Didnt really recognize any of his secondary stuff, and didnt hear how fast his fastball was coming in, but I would expect him to to at least move up one rung in the organizational ladder within the year if he can continue to command his pitches like he did tonight.

Luigi Rodriguez - Pretty impressive tonight. 1-1 with three walks. The second time he walked he fouled off a lot of nice pitches and was able to lay off some pitches right off the plate. He hit a hard ground ball up the middle in his second at bat off a first pitch fastball that was up and away in the zone. He showed his speed by stealing a base and beating out a prefect throw from the catcher, but also showed a little immaturity by getting picked off first by the loons lefthanded starter. Still did not get to see him throw so im not sure about the arm strength, but overall a nice game by the 18 year old.

Ronny Rodriguez - Tough night for Ronny...4 k's I believe. I still like the way he looks at the plate and I like the swing, but he really struggled with the recognition of breaking pitches tonight. I think he went down swinging on two and was called out on another. Bad night but im still a big fan. On his final strikeout (breaking ball in the dirt) he immediately dropped the bat and started sprinting down to first and was out by only a step. Yesterday I said he showed above average speed, but this kid, like Luigi, is really quick.

Geovanny Urshela - I put Urshela in my personal indians top 20 because Tony had praised his glove at third, and after watching Hanahan this year I think we can all agree that have an excellent defensive third basemen can be huge. Once again, Urshela did not disappoint. He had a double error late in the game on a short groundball in which he slightly bobbled, and then threw by the first basemen, but the great plays he made overshadow the mistake. Once again he made a leaping catch moving backwards on a line drive over his head, and he turned a double play where he fielded a routine ground ball, stepped on third to get the force, and fired a ball to the second basemen to get the second out. He has incredible instincts and a very quick transition along with a very strong arm. At the plate, I saw the same thing I saw yesterday. He does not have very quick hands through the hitting zone, and he was able to get his hits when he was able to extend his arms and drive the ball the other way. He had two opposite field hits and was robbed on a leaping grab by the firstbasemen in his final at bat (Low and away offspeed pitch from rhp). I looked at his splits and to no surprise saw he was better against righties than lefties. Just like Laporta, you can tell he prefers righties because the ball tends to move away from him and it is easier to extend his arms. If he wants to succeed as a hitter he will have to do a better job of getting the bat head out in front when lefties try to pitch him inside (Which Laporta has been doing a much better job of lately). He is definitely a big kid and is still only 19, so hopefully he'll be able to add a little more strength to help him get that bat through the hitting zone a little quicker. Either way, he is definitely a prospect to watch for his defense alone.

Carlos Moncrief - I was curious about Moncrief considering the power he has showed thus far, but hes been pretty disappointing the last couple games. His build and his stance at the plate remind me of Matt Lawton, just with a shorter swing. He has faced back to back LHP's so hopefully tomorrow I can see what he can do against a righty.

Other notes - Monsalve still out of the lineup. Im a little disappointed Im not going to see Washington or Aguilar, especially considering the offense has been terrible the last couple days. O well, ill be back with notes on tomorrows game...I think they said Reichenbach was pitching
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

I have been quite impressed with the position talent at LC for some time but less enamored with the pitchers. Goodnight shows potential but the most impressive one on the staff now is Cody Allen, IMO. There is a lot of nice things said about this years draft and I expect much more positive things. Allen seems to be the "steal" of the draft so far. Not real young (23 later this year) or a pitcher without injury problems but he has a very good arm with four pitches that he commands well. I am guessing they are keeping him on a tight leash because of the past injuries but he looks starter material to me. Reminds me a bit of McAllister, who is about the same age, but he might have a bit more arm and higher ceiling. Same solid mechanics IMO.

Really interested in the MV buffs who have seen him think? Even someone who watched his lone appearance at LC. There must be a reason this guy dropped to 23 other than the injury. Can anybody tell me? :search:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the reports, Brian. Enjoyed reading them. Nice work.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:22 am

I'm not one to generally make a knee-jerk judgement but with his 30th error today, is it safe to say that Ronnie Rodriguez probably will not be staying at SS in the future?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:05 am

entertheshoe wrote:I'm not one to generally make a knee-jerk judgement but with his 30th error today, is it safe to say that Ronnie Rodriguez probably will not be staying at SS in the future?

I hope you are kidding. This is the time to fix those things. IMO he has the gifts to stay at SS and is very young for low A. If he is still making these errors in 2-3 years, then you get concerned. Doesn't mean he won't get beat out by Lindor or Wolters but Rodriguez has the range and arm to be a ML SS. Experience and coaching give you technique and focus. Although there has been recent improvement, he has more work to do with his plate discipline that should be a greater concern IMO. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:I'm not one to generally make a knee-jerk judgement but with his 30th error today, is it safe to say that Ronnie Rodriguez probably will not be staying at SS in the future?

I hope you are kidding. This is the time to fix those things. IMO he has the gifts to stay at SS and is very young for low A. If he is still making these errors in 2-3 years, then you get concerned. Doesn't mean he won't get beat out by Lindor or Wolters but Rodriguez has the range and arm to be a ML SS. Experience and coaching give you technique and focus. Although there has been recent improvement, he has more work to do with his plate discipline that should be a greater concern IMO. :pleasantry:

What he said.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:18 pm

This is from a BA chat with Callis about a month ago

Greg (Midwest): Miguel Sano has 18 extra base hits in the first 28 games so far in rookie league, however he also already has 15 errors in those 28 games. Is that what's expected of him going forward - an all bat guy, or is there any defensive talent/projection?

Jim Callis: Young guys are going to make a ton of errors. Derek Jeter made 56 as a 19-year-old in low Class A, for example. Sano's bat will always be first and foremost. He has a chance to develop into a legit third baseman—he won't be a shortstop—but could wind up in the outfield, too.

Im not sure Jeter ever really deserved any of the gold gloves he won, but he obviously made a drastic improvement and proved that better glove work can come with age and experience. Before I had read this, I was down on Wolters, but Im gonna trust the scouts and say that we shouldnt be to concerned about the amount of errors were seeing from Wolters and RRod.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 pm

BrianM wrote:This is from a BA chat with Callis about a month ago

Greg (Midwest): Miguel Sano has 18 extra base hits in the first 28 games so far in rookie league, however he also already has 15 errors in those 28 games. Is that what's expected of him going forward - an all bat guy, or is there any defensive talent/projection?

Jim Callis: Young guys are going to make a ton of errors. Derek Jeter made 56 as a 19-year-old in low Class A, for example. Sano's bat will always be first and foremost. He has a chance to develop into a legit third baseman—he won't be a shortstop—but could wind up in the outfield, too.

Im not sure Jeter ever really deserved any of the gold gloves he won, but he obviously made a drastic improvement and proved that better glove work can come with age and experience. Before I had read this, I was down on Wolters, but Im gonna trust the scouts and say that we shouldnt be to concerned about the amount of errors were seeing from Wolters and RRod.

Thanks for posting that. Honestly, I guess I haven't been following the minor league game long enough to know exactly what 30 errors means. Sorry Ronny!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Sterling pitched just one inning tonday. Injury?
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Sterling pitched just one inning tonday. Injury?

That or pitch count..
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 pm

He was ejected after a HBP
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:38 am

After reading about the 'brawl', Wednesday's game might be a little more interesting.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Here's an interesting article on Felix Sterling...
http://www.infosurhoy.com/cocoon/saii/x ... feature-02
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk