RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Futures Game

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2011 Futures Game

Postby TheWord » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Pomeranz and Kipnis will represent the Indians.

:drinks:
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Re: 2011 Futures Game

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Cool.
Kinda surprised that Chen or CC Leee are not playing on the world team.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:06 pm

I thought CC Lee would have been a lock for the world team. quite surprised.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:51 pm

BUMP!!!

Game's at 6 on ESPN2.

Very excite.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:21 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM goes Kipnis.. wow..nice swing...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Whack, thud. HR Kipnis. :yahoo:

USA leads 1-0
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Kipnis with a solo home run to lead off the game!

Great at bat too. Started off with 2 quick strikes and then battled to a full count.

Bring 'em up!!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:26 pm

And off a ML pitcher. Like him in the leadoff spot too. .380 OBP and nice walk rate. Could be a future leadoff guy in the bigs.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Pomeranz hit hard by a AAer. I'd think twice about promoting him to Akron. He doesn't look anywhere near ready. AA could be a big confidence crusher for him.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Pomeranz hit hard by a AAer. I'd think twice about promoting him to Akron. He doesn't look anywhere near ready. AA could be a big confidence crusher for him.

Seriously? Gimme a break.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:52 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Pomeranz hit hard by a AAer. I'd think twice about promoting him to Akron. He doesn't look anywhere near ready. AA could be a big confidence crusher for him.

This is the first time I've seen him pitch this year (Kinston is a bit of a haul from C-Town and High-A is generally not on milb.tv) and he looked like a total mess. I think he could benefit from a full year in High-A. If he gets knocked around this bad in AA, he could develop some bad habits trying to compensate. Better for him to step up to that level of competition in a more controlled environment (no fans to boo him) such as instructs or minor league spring training.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Falcons115 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:

This is the first time I've seen him pitch this year (Kinston is a bit of a haul from C-Town and High-A is generally not on milb.tv) and he looked like a total mess. I think he could benefit from a full year in High-A. If he gets knocked around this bad in AA, he could develop some bad habits trying to compensate. Better for him to step up to that level of competition in a more controlled environment (no fans to boo him) such as instructs or minor league spring training.

He has a 1.87 ERA in Kinston, he has nothing to prove, and he should of been out of the inning if Goldschmidt was able to pick the long throw. You dont penalize him for an exhibition game like this, it was a bad outing oh well. Not to mention your making this judgement after one time seeing him pitch, and if the FO believe he is ready, well i'll take their opinion.
Falcons115
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm beginning to think that I should stick to posting about minutiae (I'll be the first to admit that I stink at actually comprehending baseball). :s_sorry
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Sorry, but you're overreacting.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I've heard it said that its better for a player to deal with some adversity/ stuggles in the minors then to just blow thru each level without any hiccups - its helps the development by having the player listen to and work with the coaches to make adjustments.

If Drew can't deal with some adversity in either the Future game or in AA, then he won't a hill of beans in the majors (if he ever makes it to the majors).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:19 pm

On a subject more up my alley, there seems to be a lot of empty seats at Chase Field. I would've thought that Arizonans who couldn't get all-star game or home run derby tickets would snap up futures game tickets so they could see an all-star weekend event (other than the fanfest).
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:24 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I've heard it said that its better for a player to deal with some adversity/ stuggles in the minors then to just blow thru each level without any hiccups - its helps the development by having the player listen to and work with the coaches to make adjustments.

If Drew can't deal with some adversity in either the Future game or in AA, then he won't a hill of beans in the majors (if he ever makes it to the majors).

Exactly. I have no problems with Drew struggling in this game. Hopefully it is a nice reality check and gets him to realize that work needs to be done and he can't rely on pure talent to get by. The fact that the kid who homered off of him is from AA is irrelevant. Often times the best players (talent wise) are in fact in AA because there won't be many AAAA guys (that AAA has).
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 am

Nice bomb by Kipnis, rough outing by Pomz. But I take nothing from neither performance. It's an exhibition game. Good luck in Akron later this week to Pomeranz, and good to Kipnis who may go right to Cleveland after the break.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 am

With regard to Pomeranz, a few at bats vs. AA hitters does not indicate anything really (everyone gets lit up sometimes). He pitched well in Spring Training (against MLers but mostly AAA guys as he pitched late in games), so I would not read too much into his 1 inning in an exhibition game. If he is done working on specifics, put him where he will be challenged.

Great job by Kip. :clapping:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Little write-up on Kipnis from BA ...

"Best Plate Appearance: The Futures Game is a mix of the top prospects throughout all levels of full-season baseball, which can occasionally create some mismatches if a low Class A hitter has to go up against a more seasoned Triple-A arm. There was no experience mismatch when Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis came to the plate to face Braves righthander Julio Teheran in the first inning. Kipnis showed an advanced approach at the plate, getting behind 0-2 but working his way back to 2-2, fouling off a 94 mph fastball and watching a 95 mph fastball go by to get to a full count. On the seventh pitch of the at-bat, Kipnis got a 95 mph fastball down and in, whipped the barrel through the zone and deposited the ball into the stands over the right field fence."
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Kipnis was very close to k'ing on a called 3rd strike before the hr. Happy to see the hr, though.

Matt Moore was the most impressive pitching prospect in the game, IMO. Could not believe the velocity he was at with that delivery. Pretty ridiculous.

Pomeranz looked like a guy a year out of college. He actually flashed a decent change. Was not discouraged by his performance.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:06 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Nice bomb by Kipnis, rough outing by Pomz. But I take nothing from neither performance. It's an exhibition game. Good luck in Akron later this week to Pomeranz, and good to Kipnis who may go right to Cleveland after the break.

Did a little 'boidy' give you some insight into his possible promotion?.. That would be sweet.. except, after the break.. the Indians start the second half in Baltimore.. ooops...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Kipnis was very close to k'ing on a called 3rd strike before the hr. Happy to see the hr, though.

Matt Moore was the most impressive pitching prospect in the game, IMO. Could not believe the velocity he was at with that delivery. Pretty ridiculous.

Pomeranz looked like a guy a year out of college. He actually flashed a decent change. Was not discouraged by his performance.

Yea, Matt Moore is a freak and he's putting up video game numbers right now. Best prospect in the game right now imo. 8th round pick too. F the Rays! Him, Des Jennings, they robbed the Cubs of Hak-Ju Lee who looks really smooth at SS, Tim Beckham is finally starting to come around. Oh, did I mention they had like a bajillion picks in the draft this year?

If only they had fans. Might help if their stadium wasn't terrible.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Return to Indians Prospect Talk