RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 am

gardner_21 wrote:I am going to the Mahoning Valley game at Auburn game tomorrow. I have seen a few names in this thread thrown about. It is hard to find any of these prospects on any top prospects list. I am wondering if I could get some suggestions on prospects to watch. Thanks.


Yeah, you won't find any of these players on any top prospect lists since the big prospects were just drafted and the other players filling out the roster who were already in the system are not very highly touted. The big guys to watch will be Lowery, Myles, Smith, Wolters, Lavisky and any of the 2011 draft picks for the most part. Eyes will definitely mostly be on the offense as the pitching has little upside other than Dischler and Allen really.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 am

Hey Tony, just being curious here but what about Petter? I liked the pick that late last June and wasn't he relatively highly thought of out of HS? Cespedes was another guy I would have mentioned from the pitching pool...can you give us any infos on his and Petter's stuff?

Sides and now Johnson are 2 other guys I'm eager to follow and 35th rounder Radeke is another pick I liked and has some Tomlin-like longshot chances

There's some talent in MV on both sides imho
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am

Is it just me or is the number of players demoted from full-season ball (either first half this year [Lavisky and Stowell] or last year [Cespedes and one other pitcher I can't remember right now]) seem a bit high for a half-season team?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Is it just me or is the number of players demoted from full-season ball (either first half this year [Lavisky and Stowell] or last year [Cespedes and one other pitcher I can't remember right now]) seem a bit high for a half-season team?

I do not think of Stowell as a demotion. Just keeping a rehab busy in the area with both Kinston and LC down for the all star games and not thinking he is ready for Akron. Laviskey probably has more to do with getting both he and Monsalve additional work. Just being practical with Monsalve showing better advancement at this point. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:48 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Is it just me or is the number of players demoted from full-season ball (either first half this year [Lavisky and Stowell] or last year [Cespedes and one other pitcher I can't remember right now]) seem a bit high for a half-season team?

I do not think of Stowell as a demotion. Just keeping a rehab busy in the area with both Kinston and LC down for the all star games and not thinking he is ready for Akron. Laviskey probably has more to do with getting both he and Monsalve additional work. Just being practical with Monsalve showing better advancement at this point. :pleasantry:


Good points. By the way, Dischler was the other demotion I noticed.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Is it just me or is the number of players demoted from full-season ball (either first half this year [Lavisky and Stowell] or last year [Cespedes and one other pitcher I can't remember right now]) seem a bit high for a half-season team?

I do not think of Stowell as a demotion. Just keeping a rehab busy in the area with both Kinston and LC down for the all star games and not thinking he is ready for Akron. Laviskey probably has more to do with getting both he and Monsalve additional work. Just being practical with Monsalve showing better advancement at this point. :pleasantry:


Good points. By the way, Dischler was the other demotion I noticed.

Yeah, Woodchuck, you are right abut that one being a demotion. Tony got a much better look than i did in ST but he did not look good. I was surprised at that and suspected an injury but saw nothing about that. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Tondo wrote:Lavisky more and more looks like an overpaid spec and a lost gamble (yes, I know it's early...it's my post and my prediction though, lol)...with bases loaded in extra innings and 1out he strikes out...9th rounder Smith then walks in the walk off run with 2 outs in his 1st pro game, nice start....and Lavisky doesn't have the "age" excuse working for him compared to guys like Smith, Siliga, Hankins etc

Would love to know what Andrew hinted to concerning his attitude but his bottom line stat line is simply horrible anyway you look at it, AVG, OBP, OPS, K/BB ratio...me thinks this guy won't even sniff my Top 30 this offseason, maybe even not making my top 50


People got super pissed at me on the 2010 Draft Signing thread (pages 16 and 17) for saying Holt, Lavisky, Wolters and Blair were overpaid last year, but there's some truth to it. I only mention it b/c I think the signing bonuses these guys got set too high expectations for them. Lavisky was really only a mid 2nd-3rd round talent (paid like a late 1st rounder). Lavisky is actually a talented catching prospect with good power tools and athleticism. He never really projected as a guy that would hit for average, but I didn't think he'd perform this poorly. It's often a good thing you get your arse handed to you when you're young. He's not a lost hope and just a year out of HS, just don't expect him to perform like a 1st rounder. (btw - Stetson Allie is really struggling with his command, so be glad we did not take him instead of Pomeranz, as was rumored before last year's draft!)

I'm not here to bash on the signing bonuses anymore. The Indians wanted to get the talent in their system and they were willing to pay what most other organizations were not (often referred to as the winner's curse in economics). Even though I question whether they truly optimized their dollars, that's just the way it is and I support them investing in their minor league system.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 am

OhioBaseball wrote:He's not a lost hope and just a year out of HS, just don't expect him to perform like a 1st rounder. (btw - Stetson Allie is really struggling with his command, so be glad we did not take him instead of Pomeranz, as was rumored before last year's draft!)


If I remember correctly, the source of those rumors were basically that the Indians had worked out Allie and were interested in him. I figured that he would have been our 2nd round pick, but the Pirates got to him first.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:05 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
People got super pissed at me on the 2010 Draft Signing thread (pages 16 and 17) for saying Holt, Lavisky, Wolters and Blair were overpaid last year, but there's some truth to it. I only mention it b/c I think the signing bonuses these guys got set too high expectations for them. Lavisky was really only a mid 2nd-3rd round talent (paid like a late 1st rounder). Lavisky is actually a talented catching prospect with good power tools and athleticism. He never really projected as a guy that would hit for average, but I didn't think he'd perform this poorly. It's often a good thing you get your arse handed to you when you're young. He's not a lost hope and just a year out of HS, just don't expect him to perform like a 1st rounder. (btw - Stetson Allie is really struggling with his command, so be glad we did not take him instead of Pomeranz, as was rumored before last year's draft!)


I think Lavisky got our hopes up real high by what he did in spring training but now is struggling. I think it can be expected a little because he's an Ohio guy (north) and this year he is playing more baseball than he ever did before. In fact, February spring training is starting for him much earlier than ever. I did pick him to have a break-out season but in hindsight that was a little optimistic as northern guys can expect to struggle as they have to push through the grind of every day baseball. Add in the fact that he catches which wears you out even more and I'm not so disappointed in his struggles. Next year should be a telling year. Note: even when catchers are not in the line-up they are still warming up guys in the bp (where at the show the team carries a non-roster guy to warm up the bp guys).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Can't believe no one mentioned "Triple Tony" Wolters' performance last night. :clapping:

How many guys get two triples in one night? I've never seen it personally.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Can't believe no one mentioned "Triple Tony" Wolters' performance last night. :clapping:

How many guys get two triples in one night? I've never seen it personally.


Never seen it live - but Kipnis just did it on the 14th.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby smt1192 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Jake Lowery with 2 home runs and a double tonight ... WOW!
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Bedminster NJ / Raleigh NC

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:14 am

Nice power display by Lowery tonight. Showing so far that he is by no means a product of the smaller ballpark at JMU.

Can't wait to get to MV on Sunday and talk to him for the first time.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:05 am

TonyIPI wrote:Nice power display by Lowery tonight. Showing so far that he is by no means a product of the smaller ballpark at JMU.

Can't wait to get to MV on Sunday and talk to him for the first time.

Tell Jake to keep it up. Let him know that there's a board full of crazy people pulling for him the way his parents did in Youth Ball.

You should also talk to Aaron Siliga who's matching Jake stat for stat but is 2 yrs. younger. :good:

Scrappers lookin Good! :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Tondo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 am

Indeed, Siliga's start is very intriguing....just 18yo, he's showing a nice mix of power and speed early on...what I like most though is his very mature K/BB ratio...it's very early, but liking the trend. He's been consistent and he should hit way higher up the order....Lavisky is hitting cleanup but that's more "spec-politics" than anything. Siliga is also proof that good hitters produce regardless of age, Lavisky is almost 2 years older and can't hit NYP-League pitching, that's telling

Didn't like the Elliott pick and he looks like org filler only, I know it was "just" the 21st round but there was much better talent around, so don't get why teams draft org fillers that early...what's the difference between him and a guy like late rounder Barr? Don't see any...draft your org fillers 35th round +

Just 8 games in but you can already see who the bat specs are by looking at the numbers and ratios: Lowery, Siliga, Myles and Wolters...J.Smith has only 3 games, so he might join...Wetmore, Petter, C.Allen and Cespedes on the pitching side so far, maybe E.Tejeda but overall pitching less impressive
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Siliga is not really a surprise to some extent, I read an article (here?) on him and pretty much a high upside kid with potential to fill out a bit more physically, adding strength and speed. Very advanced hitter in hs if I remember correctly...Some one I liked preseason as a breakout player.

Personally I like Cody Elliot could improve with the bat, but also pitched at Ball State throwing low 90's. He has no power, fast advanced defensively but at best a 4th OF with speed and advanced arm / defense. (probably could've picked him a few rds later IMO).

Personally loved the Jake Lowery pick, particularly his bat. I think this guy is going to be a quick mover even with the catching already in the system.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 am

Scrappers roll on, 8-1.

Smith with 3 hits, Wolters, Lowery, Fontanez, & Serna with 2 hits each.

Mason Mason Radeke(that's his name according to MiLB), 5IP, 3H, 1ER in his debut. Good job kid. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:18 am

Wolters may not be hitting the cover off the ball, but he has an 8 game hitting streak going. The only game which he did not have a hit in was his 1st. Also, 5 of his 11 hits are XBH and his 3 walks to 5 strikeouts is decent for a young kid.

Only red flag so far is his fielding with 3 errors in 9 games. If that doesn't hold him back, he could progress quickly through the system.

With Lindor, Wolters, and Ronnie in the minors and with Asdrubal locked up for a while, the future is bright at SS as far as I can tell. Of those 3, which is the most likely to move to 2nd, if any?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 am

Liked what I saw today from the Scrappers. Not sure there is any elite level talent there, but some upside yes. A lot more than last year's team there that's for sure. Wolters is mature well beyond his years....Smith is one big dude, can't wait to see him fill out, what a frame....Lowery reminds me of a left-handed version of Matt McBride.....and while Myles did not play (wrist) he has some impressive makeup and one of the nice guys I have spoken to since I have been doing this.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:06 am

entertheshoe wrote:Wolters may not be hitting the cover off the ball, but he has an 8 game hitting streak going. The only game which he did not have a hit in was his 1st. Also, 5 of his 11 hits are XBH and his 3 walks to 5 strikeouts is decent for a young kid.

Only red flag so far is his fielding with 3 errors in 9 games. If that doesn't hold him back, he could progress quickly through the system.

With Lindor, Wolters, and Ronnie in the minors and with Asdrubal locked up for a while, the future is bright at SS as far as I can tell. Of those 3, which is the most likely to move to 2nd, if any?



wolters, he is not a long term SS
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Scrappers scored 2 runs last night on 10 hits & 8 walks; is that even possible?

Important thing is they only gave up one run. But still, two runs from eighteen base runners?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby bmonnig » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Scrappers scored 2 runs last night on 10 hits & 8 walks; is that even possible?

Important thing is they only gave up one run. But still, two runs from eighteen base runners?


And as a polar opposite, so far tonight Lake County has scored 12 runs on 6 hits and 5 walks.
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Scrappers lose tonight 5-2.

Myles with a nice game at the dish, 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. Unfortunately, :shout: the guy in the top three in RBI's in the Midwest League(cough, Jake Lowery) DNP today, so all of B. Myles scoring opportunities died on the vine.

Not that I'd show favoritism, mind you. :rolleyes:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby go_tribe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Is Felix Sterling considered "elite", very excited to see him pitch if he ever makes it to MV this year...
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 pm

go_tribe wrote:Is Felix Sterling considered "elite", very excited to see him pitch if he ever makes it to MV this year...


I wouldn't consider him "elite", but certainly, he has a lot of upside. Thing is, he's still raw, so the potential is there.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 pm

A couple items of odd note from todays game....

#1 - Not very often you see a pitcher get tagged for a loss while maintaining his 0.00 era....

#2 - (this is cool) - It appears that Jesus Brito( quite an uproar from some when we traded him for Bixler) has been converter to a relief pitcher. Went 2.2 innings today for state college...Apparently, his 1 good season with the bat was just that... 1. Good luck Jesus!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Scrappers lose tonight 5-2.

Myles with a nice game at the dish, 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. Unfortunately, :shout: the guy in the top three in RBI's in the Midwest League(cough, Jake Lowery) DNP today, so all of B. Myles scoring opportunities died on the vine.

Not that I'd show favoritism, mind you. :rolleyes:


I believe Lowery is not even with the team. Saw a tweet from him earlier today he was at the Chicago airport heading out to Wichita or something. Maybe a wedding or other committment, dunno, haven't heard or been able to find out yet why. I am talking to Atkins at length on Friday morning, so maybe will ask then if he doesn't play again on Thursday.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:41 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Scrappers lose tonight 5-2.

Myles with a nice game at the dish, 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. Unfortunately, :shout: the guy in the top three in RBI's in the Midwest League(cough, Jake Lowery) DNP today, so all of B. Myles scoring opportunities died on the vine.

Not that I'd show favoritism, mind you. :rolleyes:


I believe Lowery is not even with the team. Saw a tweet from him earlier today he was at the Chicago airport heading out to Wichita or something. Maybe a wedding or other committment, dunno, haven't heard or been able to find out yet why. I am talking to Atkins at length on Friday morning, so maybe will ask then if he doesn't play again on Thursday.


Still listed as active on their roster and I would see no reason why he'd be called up. Yes, he's been performing well, but don't think he'd get called up so soon.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:45 am

A.Zajac wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Scrappers lose tonight 5-2.

Myles with a nice game at the dish, 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. Unfortunately, :shout: the guy in the top three in RBI's in the Midwest League(cough, Jake Lowery) DNP today, so all of B. Myles scoring opportunities died on the vine.

Not that I'd show favoritism, mind you. :rolleyes:


I believe Lowery is not even with the team. Saw a tweet from him earlier today he was at the Chicago airport heading out to Wichita or something. Maybe a wedding or other committment, dunno, haven't heard or been able to find out yet why. I am talking to Atkins at length on Friday morning, so maybe will ask then if he doesn't play again on Thursday.


Yeah, absolutely not called up. Will be in MV for most of season. I'm thinking he had some kind of commitment to attend to.

Still listed as active on their roster and I would see no reason why he'd be called up. Yes, he's been performing well, but don't think he'd get called up so soon.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby smt1192 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:29 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Scrappers lose tonight 5-2.

Myles with a nice game at the dish, 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. Unfortunately, :shout: the guy in the top three in RBI's in the Midwest League(cough, Jake Lowery) DNP today, so all of B. Myles scoring opportunities died on the vine.

Not that I'd show favoritism, mind you. :rolleyes:


I believe Lowery is not even with the team. Saw a tweet from him earlier today he was at the Chicago airport heading out to Wichita or something. Maybe a wedding or other committment, dunno, haven't heard or been able to find out yet why. I am talking to Atkins at length on Friday morning, so maybe will ask then if he doesn't play again on Thursday.


Still listed as active on their roster and I would see no reason why he'd be called up. Yes, he's been performing well, but don't think he'd get called up so soon.


Lowery is a finalist for the Johnny Bench award (best college catcher), so I believe they are holding the award ceremony in Wichita.
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Bedminster NJ / Raleigh NC

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 pm

smt1192 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Scrappers lose tonight 5-2.

Myles with a nice game at the dish, 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. Unfortunately, :shout: the guy in the top three in RBI's in the Midwest League(cough, Jake Lowery) DNP today, so all of B. Myles scoring opportunities died on the vine.

Not that I'd show favoritism, mind you. :rolleyes:


I believe Lowery is not even with the team. Saw a tweet from him earlier today he was at the Chicago airport heading out to Wichita or something. Maybe a wedding or other committment, dunno, haven't heard or been able to find out yet why. I am talking to Atkins at length on Friday morning, so maybe will ask then if he doesn't play again on Thursday.


Still listed as active on their roster and I would see no reason why he'd be called up. Yes, he's been performing well, but don't think he'd get called up so soon.


Lowery is a finalist for the Johnny Bench award (best college catcher), so I believe they are holding the award ceremony in Wichita.


Good call.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:19 pm

smt1192 wrote:Lowery is a finalist for the Johnny Bench award (best college catcher), so I believe they are holding the award ceremony in Wichita.


Nice catch
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby smt1192 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:42 am

TonyIPI wrote:
smt1192 wrote:Lowery is a finalist for the Johnny Bench award (best college catcher), so I believe they are holding the award ceremony in Wichita.


Nice catch


Looks like Lowery won, congratulations to him.
http://articles.kwch.com/2011-06-30/johnny-bench-award_29724365
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Bedminster NJ / Raleigh NC

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:52 am

smt1192 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
smt1192 wrote:Lowery is a finalist for the Johnny Bench award (best college catcher), so I believe they are holding the award ceremony in Wichita.


Nice catch


Looks like Lowery won, congratulations to him.
http://articles.kwch.com/2011-06-30/johnny-bench-award_29724365

Hell Yeah!!! :clapping:

Good job Jake, well deserved. Now get back to MV, Bryson Myles needs you to drive him in.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 am

Stetson Allie pitching against the Scrappers tonight.

We need a report from anyone who goes to the game. :friends:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Stetson Allie pitching against the Scrappers tonight.

We need a report from anyone who goes to the game. :friends:

Here's hoping the Scrappers unleash the lumber tonight... especially Alex Lavisky.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
smt1192 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
smt1192 wrote:Lowery is a finalist for the Johnny Bench award (best college catcher), so I believe they are holding the award ceremony in Wichita.


Nice catch


Looks like Lowery won, congratulations to him.
http://articles.kwch.com/2011-06-30/johnny-bench-award_29724365

Hell Yeah!!! :clapping:

Good job Jake, well deserved. Now get back to MV, Bryson Myles needs you to drive him in.


Let's hope he has a better career than the last two Johnny Bench award winners to play for the Tribe. :drinks:
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby smt1192 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 pm

State College Bottom of the 9th
Mahoning Valley: 3 State College: 3
Pitcher Change: Tony Dischler replaces Cody Allen.
Kirk Singer flies out to left fielder Aaron Siliga.
Taylor Lewis triples (1) on a line drive to right fielder Bryson Myles.
Justin Bencsko walks.
Brian Sharp flies into double play, center fielder Cody Elliott to catcher Alex Lavisky. Taylor Lewis out at home on the throw.

Heck of a way to keep the game going into extras.
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Bedminster NJ / Raleigh NC

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:52 am

Tony Wolters with 2 doubles tonight; again with the XBH's. It may not seem that my expectations are that great, especially since he was a 3rd round pick, but this is pretty much what was hoping for when he was drafted. If he can maintain this type of performance going forward I think he'll be well worth the pick.

I'm actually expecting this type of offense from Lindor too. If we get it, along with Lindor's defensive prowess, we might have ourselves a pretty productive infield in a few years.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:07 am

Defense has killed this team and cost them two games now. The pitching has really calmed down, but man.. the fundamentals these guys aren't showing... yikes.

Myles swipes two more bags tonight and now leads the league with 8. Wolters with two more extra base hits, which is encouraging. Also stole a base. Jordan Smith had another great night.

Oh, and in first place! :drinks:
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:26 am

Best part about Bryson Myles having 8 stolen bases is that he hasn't been caught stealing once. It's like the teams know that it's coming and can't do anything about it. Perfect lead-off man with his combination of patience and speed. I look forward to seeing him progress but so far I'm loving these last two drafts. Lake County and Mahoning Valley are by far my favorite teams to watch right now. And by watch I mean look at box scores. :dirol:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:59 am

Congrats to Wetmore and Petter getting the promo to Lake County. Only Striz coming to MV from LC, so another arm should be joining MV soon.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:16 am

TonyIPI wrote:Congrats to Wetmore and Petter getting the promo to Lake County. Only Striz coming to MV from LC, so another arm should be joining MV soon.

Wetmore & Petter deserve the promo, we'll see how they handle it. Won't be as easy dominating Midwest League guys as is was in the NYPL.

Striz' LC stats are pretty much in line with what he did at Carolina. His WHIP is ridiculous. Assuming he remains a reliever in MV, maybe another SP signing in the offing?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Congrats to Wetmore and Petter getting the promo to Lake County. Only Striz coming to MV from LC, so another arm should be joining MV soon.

Wetmore & Petter deserve the promo, we'll see how they handle it. Won't be as easy dominating Midwest League guys as is was in the NYPL.

Striz' LC stats are pretty much in line with what he did at Carolina. His WHIP is ridiculous. Assuming he remains a reliever in MV, maybe another SP signing in the offing?


Sterling or Sisco?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:01 am

I see that 33rd Round pick Jack Wagoner is now listed on the MV roster. Not sure but I think he's projected as a reliever. That would still, I believe, leave them with only four starters: Colon, Guerrero, Nixon, & Radeke.

The Scrappers need another starter. My idea is to sign Dillon Howard & send him to MV post-haste. Tell Selig that the Scrappers are in a Pennant chase. :clapping:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:08 am

I was at the game in Batavia last night. Batavia has an old ballpark, most of the fans are in bleacher-type seats and there are no luxuries. You don't have a $10 zillion scoreboard telling the fans when to "make noise", those in attendance have to figure that out for themselves, like in the old days. Late in the game, you had the whole stadium stomping and clapping to get a rally going for the home team, which was fun to hear. Batavia has ownership and money issues and may not have a team much longer, so it was nice to watch a packed house rock the old joint.

The games at this level are interesting. The players vary from guys who signed for pretty big money like Wolters or Lavisky, to those like John Barr who got a whopping $2500 to sign. Its hard not to pull for guys who are such longshots to ever make "the show". You'll see some mistakes but I try to overlook them.

Last night, the Scrappers led throughout, up till the 8th. Both MV runs came off mistakes, a wild pitch and a passed ball on ball four to Lavisky. Not much hitting. Then the wheels came off in the 8th, with 3 errors in the span of 5 minutes. The visitors couldn't rally in the 9th and the crowd ate it up.

Aaron Silega made a super running catch of a foul fly to left, crashing into and tumbling over the short fence but holding on for the out. Lavisky gunned down a would-be basestealer with a great throw to 2nd. There were errors but the game was highly enjoyable nonetheless. If you get a chance, go to a lower level game, you won't regret it. I'm going back tonight for a renatch, hoping Myles and Lowery play.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:I was at the game in Batavia last night. Batavia has an old ballpark, most of the fans are in bleacher-type seats and there are no luxuries. You don't have a $10 zillion scoreboard telling the fans when to "make noise", those in attendance have to figure that out for themselves, like in the old days. Late in the game, you had the whole stadium stomping and clapping to get a rally going for the home team, which was fun to hear. Batavia has ownership and money issues and may not have a team much longer, so it was nice to watch a packed house rock the old joint.

The games at this level are interesting. The players vary from guys who signed for pretty big money like Wolters or Lavisky, to those like John Barr who got a whopping $2500 to sign. Its hard not to pull for guys who are such longshots to ever make "the show". You'll see some mistakes but I try to overlook them.

Last night, the Scrappers led throughout, up till the 8th. Both MV runs came off mistakes, a wild pitch and a passed ball on ball four to Lavisky. Not much hitting. Then the wheels came off in the 8th, with 3 errors in the span of 5 minutes. The visitors couldn't rally in the 9th and the crowd ate it up.

Aaron Silega made a super running catch of a foul fly to left, crashing into and tumbling over the short fence but holding on for the out. Lavisky gunned down a would-be basestealer with a great throw to 2nd. There were errors but the game was highly enjoyable nonetheless. If you get a chance, go to a lower level game, you won't regret it. I'm going back tonight for a renatch, hoping Myles and Lowery play.


Good stuff. I look forward to what you have to say about Myles and Lowery!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Scrappers lose another close one in Batavia. Rob Nixon started for MV, he's from Ontario and a bunch of folks apparently came from his home area to cheer him on. Maybe ten very vocal fans were making a lot of noise for him and he pitched very well, leaving after 7 shutout innings. Jordan Smith had a double and triple on the night, which happens to be his birthday. They announced his birthday over the PA system and played "Happy Birthday" for him, and I think he had family members at the game as well. There were only 700 in attendance tonight, and the Scrapper fans were making most of the noise as Batavia gave the others very little to cheer about. Then Nate Striz came in and coughed up the lead.

Scrappers had a chance to tie it up in the 9th but a very bad fundamental baserunning mistake cost them. With runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs, the batter bunted. Batavia fielded the bunt and got the lead runner at third and threw to first to double up the batter, who slowed down as he approached first and stopped on the bag rather than running through the bag at full speed. Then the next batter K'd.

As i said yesterday, I hate to point out the names of the guys who make mistakes like this at the low levels. I'm sure this kid will never do this again as long as he lives.

Got to see Myles, the kid looks good but didn't do anything offensively tonight. Lowery also didn't make a big impression. Its hard to judge on one game. Wolters had a very good game and seems to have some leadership qualities. Smith, as I said earlier, had a very nice night. Nixon was solid. A disappointing loss but a fun game nonetheless.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby TitoFrancona » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 am

martyinnewyork wrote: Got to see Myles, the kid looks good but didn't do anything offensively tonight. Lowery also didn't make a big impression. Its hard to judge on one game. Wolters had a very good game and seems to have some leadership qualities. Smith, as I said earlier, had a very nice night. Nixon was solid. A disappointing loss but a fun game nonetheless.


Are you sure it was Lowery you're talking about and not Lavisky? I don't think Lowery has played the last several games. I think maybe he's hurt or something.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: 2011 Mahoning Valley Scrappers thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 am

Absolutely was Lowery. Lavisky pinch hit late.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron