Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Ronny Rodriguez

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Ronny Rodriguez

Postby elrod enchilada » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 am

Question for Tony (or anyone else who might know)--

If Ronny Rodriguez is such a good prospect --and it appears he is-- why did he not sign a contract until he was 18 1/2 years old? Don't most DR guys, even marginal guys, sign at 16 or at the latest 17?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Re: Ronny Rodriguez

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 am

Not all are signed at 16/17, some slip through the cracks or go unnoticed. Also some go unsigned and come back the next year looking a lot better. Lots of value in the 17/18 year old signs than just the 16 year old ones, they just get more pub and hype.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Crazy stuff goes on in the Dominican and venezuela, so who knows. I would not be very alarmed by his age, though.

Tony posted lots of videos of young guys this fall/winter and I remember perusing through them in the winter. Ronnie Rodriguez was someone that stood out to me. He looked athletic and he's got the swing of a hitter and a guy that should be able to drive the ball. I had never heard of him at the time and asked on the site and Tony provided some info (it's why IPI is a great site). There is another video of "Ronny Rodriguez" on YouTube. I'm not sure if it's the same guy but he looks kind of similar -- guy looks like a hitter.

I think Rodriguez is a little undersized to be a top flight prospect but he is someone to be excited about. Don't think he would profile as a 1st round talent if in the draft, but I like him. It's possible he's just a failed prospect from another organization that changed his identity (this stuff happens and I suspect it of one of the new Indians sp prospects), but Rodriguez seems to have an immature body so I would think his age is for the most part legit.

As a side note, his extra base hits are encouraging considering his immature build. Interesting prospect. Never seen him play the infield or run, but would not be surprised those skills are there
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby petes999 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Tony,

I know I shouldn't be reading too much into it between Wolters and Ronny ... but is it likely that Ronny is viewed as a better prospect (or close to it) than Wolters. I know Wolters went to MV due to his bone injury and having just a little Ext Spring. However, if they saw Wolters as clearly better, wouldn't they have switched Wolters and Ronny after Wolters had some time the last few weeks at Extended before it broke camp for rookie leagues?

Just bringing it up from comparison that Wolters being a top 10/15 prospect probably implies that Ronny is or is likely to be that high in Cleveland's eyes by the end of the year by keeping him at LC ahead of Wolters.

Nice article today ...
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm

any relation to Benny the Jet?
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 pm

petes999 wrote:Tony,

I know I shouldn't be reading too much into it between Wolters and Ronny ... but is it likely that Ronny is viewed as a better prospect (or close to it) than Wolters. I know Wolters went to MV due to his bone injury and having just a little Ext Spring. However, if they saw Wolters as clearly better, wouldn't they have switched Wolters and Ronny after Wolters had some time the last few weeks at Extended before it broke camp for rookie leagues?

Just bringing it up from comparison that Wolters being a top 10/15 prospect probably implies that Ronny is or is likely to be that high in Cleveland's eyes by the end of the year by keeping him at LC ahead of Wolters.

Nice article today ...

Opportunity knocks.

Wolters likely would have been in Lake County before Ronny (maybe even start the season there), but because of the hand injury it opened the door for Ronny to go up. Ronny is playing well, and is a high priority guy, so even though Wolters may be a higher rated guy in the system, there is no harm in keeping Ronny in LC and opening Wolters at MV. In a few weeks or late July maybe they swap, or maybe not.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk