RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Fantasy prospect team

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Fantasy prospect team

Postby ClevBuck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:26 am

Just for fun, if you could pick 15 prospects from any teams and put them in one teams farm system wh would you pick? And what team? Such as not just picking the top 15 prospects and making an all star team, but maybe a couple of solid middle infielders power hitting corner players or a solid ctcher and some pitchers who don t give up alot of hits/runs and what team? Such as a team that likes to spend to keep top players /prospects?(can't be the yankees too obvious)
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect

Re: Fantasy prospect team

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 pm

C Jesus Montero
1B Eric Hosmer
2B Dustin Ackley
3B Mike Moustakas
SS Manny Machado
OF Bryce Harper
OF Mike Trout
OF Aaron Hicks
Util Desmond Jennings

SP Casey Kelly
SP Shelby Miller
RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Zach Putnam
P Archie Bradley
P Jameson Taillon
P Chris Archer
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 pm

I won't count guys who made debuts yet:

DH Jesus
C Will Myers
1B Yander Alonso
2B Jason Kipnis
SS Manny Machado
3B Anthony Rendon
LF Bubba Starling
CF Mike Trout
RF Bryce Harper

SP Matt Moore (how could you leave him off Andrew?)
SP Shelby Miller
SP Jameson Tailon
SP Drew Pomeranz
SP Gerit Cole
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

entertheshoe wrote:I won't count guys who made debuts yet:

DH Jesus
C Will Myers
1B Yander Alonso
2B Jason Kipnis
SS Manny Machado
3B Anthony Rendon
LF Bubba Starling
CF Mike Trout
RF Bryce Harper

SP Shelby Miller
SP Jameson Tailon
SP Drew Pomeranz
SP Gerit Cole

I assume you mean Jesus Montero.....or the chosen 1/3 of the Holy Trinity? :drinks:
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:30 pm

DH Jesus
C Will Myers
1B Yander Alonso
2B Jason Kipnis
SS Manny Machado
3B Anthony Rendon
LF Bubba Starling
CF Mike Trout
RF Bryce Harper

SP Shelby Miller
SP Jameson Tailon
SP Drew Pomeranz
SP Gerit Cole

Will Myers is playing RF....hasn't played a game behind the plate this year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

DH Jesus
C Will Myers
1B Yander Alonso
2B Jason Kipnis
SS Manny Machado
3B Anthony Rendon
LF Bubba Starling
CF Mike Trout
RF Bryce Harper

SP Shelby Miller
SP Jameson Tailon
SP Drew Pomeranz
SP Gerit Cole

Will Myers is playing RF....hasn't played a game behind the plate this year.

Fair enough, switch him and Jesus if it bothers you that much! :aggressive:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:52 pm

There's really not that many elite catching prospects in any organization right now. You have Montero, but I have my doubts he can stick there. You have Chen in our system, but I wouldn't call him "elite". Maybe I'm missing another guy somewhere.. but. Even if there is one other, that's still not very many. Catching may come at a premium in the near future, if it hasn't already.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:09 pm

A.Zajac wrote:There's really not that many elite catching prospects in any organization right now. You have Montero, but I have my doubts he can stick there. You have Chen in our system, but I wouldn't call him "elite". Maybe I'm missing another guy somewhere.. but. Even if there is one other, that's still not very many. Catching may come at a premium in the near future, if it hasn't already.

wilson ramos comes to mind, he is very much an elite catching spec and way ahead of chen. Just checked he is no longer eligible. So the next easy choice is Devin Mesoraco who will be a top 15 spec this year. Derek Norris is a top 100 guy, Cincy also has Grandal who could make the top 100. D'Arnaud looks very good in Tor. Off the top of my head the Sanchez kid for the Yankees is super highly thought of, as is Sanchez for Pit, so there is a ton of catching depth in the minors and these are the top of my head guys
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:17 am

jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:There's really not that many elite catching prospects in any organization right now. You have Montero, but I have my doubts he can stick there. You have Chen in our system, but I wouldn't call him "elite". Maybe I'm missing another guy somewhere.. but. Even if there is one other, that's still not very many. Catching may come at a premium in the near future, if it hasn't already.

wilson ramos comes to mind, he is very much an elite catching spec and way ahead of chen. Just checked he is no longer eligible. So the next easy choice is Devin Mesoraco who will be a top 15 spec this year. Derek Norris is a top 100 guy, Cincy also has Grandal who could make the top 100. D'Arnaud looks very good in Tor. Off the top of my head the Sanchez kid for the Yankees is super highly thought of, as is Sanchez for Pit, so there is a ton of catching depth in the minors and these are the top of my head guys

It's tough to find a catcher who can hit like well, a non-catcher, because if a touted prospect can play both catcher as well as a number of other positions teams will move them to the other ones in order to put them on the fast track. See: Will Myers and Bryce Harper. Can't say I disagree with it but unless you're a college catcher odds are you will not be a catcher when you turn pro.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 am

Okay.. interesting premise on this thread.. how about a few "new" names"

Catcher:...........Wil Meyers......................KC Royals
First Base:....... Paul Goldschmidt............... Dbax
Second Base:.....Jason Kipnis.....................Indians
Third Base:.......Brett Lawrie.....................Blue Jays
Shortstop:........Zach Cozart......................Reds
Outfield:..........Mike Trout.......................Angels
Outfield:..........Bryce Harper.....................Nats
Outfield:..........Collin Cowgill.....................Dbax

Pitcher:...........Julio Terheran...................Braves
Pitcher:...........Matty Moore.....................Tampa
Pitcher:...........Mike Montgomery...............KC Royals
Pitcher:...........Kyle Gibson......................Twins
Pitcher:...........James Taillon....................Pirates

You could do worse than this lineup in three years..easily..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 pm

jellis wrote:

Mesoraco or D'Arnaud would be my catchers. D'Arnaud was a top 40 guy heading into the season and is hitting better in AA than he has at any stop thus far. Also throwing out 30% of would be base stealers (for the the second year in a row).

And it doesn't really 'bother me' but just pointing out that Wil Myers is no longer catching, he is an OF prospect
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Not sure where else to post this, but I was looking over some of the guys is BA's midseason top 50 and came upon Paul Goldschmidt. Who the heck is Paul Goldschmidt? (aside from a 23 year old 1st basemen for the Arizona Diamondbacks)

So I looked at his stats this year in AA:
.314 BA / .431 OBP / .634 SLG
25 HR
76 RBI
61 walks / 71 strikeouts

Heck, last year he 35 HR 108 RBI and the year before 18/62. Looks like he had some serious strikeout issues last year with 161 in 525 at bats (to only 57 walks) but this year it looks like he has fixed that.

My question is:
a) What is he still doing in AA at 24 almost 25 years old (edit: he's 23 almost 24, thanks Pork)
b) Why is he ranked only 50th?

Anyone have the inside scoop?
Last edited by entertheshoe on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:07 pm

I don't know a lot about Goldschmidt, but he's actually 23... will turn 24 right after the minor league season ends, so he's still age appropriate for his level, especially if he's playing in AAA in the second half. You can also get a look at him in the Futures Game. Bit of trivia: He was a high school teammate of Kyle Drabek... not much of a surprise that they won a national championship.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:10 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Not sure where else to post this, but I was looking over some of the guys is BA's midseason top 50 and came upon Paul Goldschmidt. Who the heck is Paul Goldschmidt? (aside from a 23 year old 1st basemen for the Arizona Diamondbacks)

So I looked at his stats this year in AA:
.314 BA / .431 OBP / .634 SLG
25 HR
76 RBI
61 walks / 71 strikeouts

Heck, last year he 35 HR 108 RBI and the year before 18/62. Looks like he had some serious strikeout issues last year with 161 in 525 at bats (to only 57 walks) but this year it looks like he has fixed that.

My question is:
a) What is he still doing in AA at 24 almost 25 years old
b) Why is he ranked only 50th?

Anyone have the inside scoop?

Nice numbers - don't know anything about him really but would assume he is a DH in waiting... Prolly is a terrible fielder is my guess.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:I don't know a lot about Goldschmidt, but he's actually 23... will turn 24 right after the minor league season ends, so he's still age appropriate for his level, especially if he's playing in AAA in the second half. You can also get a look at him in the Futures Game. Bit of trivia: He was a high school teammate of Kyle Drabek... not much of a surprise that they won a national championship.

Oops, good call about the age. I'm 23 and born in 88 so by process of bad math I determined that he's 24. :crazy:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Return to Indians Prospect Talk