RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Kinston Indians Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Kinston Indians Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Bryson called up from LC. No word on a countermove.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Jimenez sent to LC. He's still in Kinston, so it may be a paper move.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 pm

How about JD Reichenbach making the first start of his pro career just two nights after working a 1/3 of an inning in the 23 inning marathon........ 5 no-hit innings (BB, 2K)!!!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:How about JD Reichenbach making the first start of his pro career just two nights after working a 1/3 of an inning in the 23 inning marathon........ 5 no-hit innings (BB, 2K)!!!

Actually he threw a 1/3 of an inning on Monday night in the Clayton Cook start of Game 2 of the DH, or so I thought?

Even more impressive to come back next night and go and pitch like that!
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Heck of an effort for Marty Popham tonight.... allowed a solo HR in the 5th but, either side of that, he was perfect through 7.

7IP, 1H, 1R/ER, 0BB, 6K
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Interesting year for Popham… he's been shuffled around the system to fill in where needed like he's just organizational depth (and did a bit of the same last year), but when left at Kinston, he's having a pretty nice season. He's also now pitched 31.1 innings at Kinston this season and not walked a batter. His only problem has been the long ball (6 hr)... and that is a little worrisome in a pretty good pitcher's league.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:16 am

Tony or anyone else who knows:

What's up with Tyler Sturdevant? He's 25 years old but still in High-A. Still, looking at his numbers he has consistently produced:

2009, MV: 2.7 ERA, 36 innings 42 strikes 13 walks
2010, LC + Kinston: 2.09 ERA, 64 innings 91 strikeouts 19 walks

and then now he's in Kinston still with a 1.98 ERA, 41 innings 44 strikeouts 8 walks

Not only is he 25 but in December he'll be 26. So what's he doing in Kinston still and is he someone that we should keep an eye on coming out of the pen? Looks to me like he belongs in Akron at least.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:21 am

entertheshoe wrote:Tony or anyone else who knows:

What's up with Tyler Sturdevant? He's 25 years old but still in High-A. Still, looking at his numbers he has consistently produced:

2009, MV: 2.7 ERA, 36 innings 42 strikes 13 walks
2010, LC + Kinston: 2.09 ERA, 64 innings 91 strikeouts 19 walks

and then now he's in Kinston still with a 1.98 ERA, 41 innings 44 strikeouts 8 walks

Not only is he 25 but in December he'll be 26. So what's he doing in Kinston still and is he someone that we should keep an eye on coming out of the pen? Looks to me like he belongs in Akron at least.

priority pitchers in front of him who are better specs, just a numbers game and there is no place for him
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 am

What Jeff said. You always need to look at three things with promotions....1.) how a guy is performing/developing, 2.) their priority level to org and 3.) if there is an open spot above them. All three typically come into play, but before 1 and/or 2 can come into play something has to be done about 3.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:36 am

Thought I'd share a little insight on the Giovonni Soto injury. Soto has left elbow ulnar nueritis without UCL tear... The last part is significant, there is no tearing of the UCL. I had this injury to my left elbow 3 yrs ago. My elbow has / had slight tear of UCL did not have surgery... The muscles around the nerve can actually wrap so tight that it begins to squeeze the nerve causing numbness and tingling, this can be worked around with rest and stretching out the muscles its simply the nature of things... You use muscles often they become stronger, in this case it's almost working against you bc of the injury. The good side of this is no tearing of the UCL, the bad side (last resort... If this continues) is his elbow could require ulnar nerve transposition -moving the nerve deeper into forearm- similar to what Anthony Reyes has endured (Reyes also required TJ).
For perspective sake... 3 yrs later I still experience some minimal numbness and tingling the elbow (actually while I was reading about his injury) there is some weakness that has seemingly persisted but likely bc of slight tear and nerve irritation. The best case and likely case with the treatment Soto will receive is this was caught early there seemed to be no prior injury history, Soto's youth and precautionary treatment like rest and stretching I believe Soto will be fine but this is something to watch and could be more serious than it simply appears. As Soto matures more physically, hopefully he adds physical strength and size which could actually ease the torq placed on his elbow if combined with proper rest, limited innings / pitch count, stretching, strengthening and mechanics. Overall this could be a re-occurring injury but with no prior history hopefully this was caught before it really got started, a key could be watching his control and fb velocity.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ktriber » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 am

Good start for Popham. Abreu is finally starting to hit the ball with some authority with hard hit double and triple last night. He also had two extemely good catches in the outfield. I have no idea where Frawley gets his power from. :s_dunno
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby ktriber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:17 am

Pomeranz pretty much dominated Lynchburg hitters last night for seven innings. I expect that may have been his last start in Kinston. He definitely appears ready for a new challenge.

I have been disappointed with Abner Abreu's performance since he was called up last year. Based on the reports that I read, I was expecting somebody that never showed up. But that looks to be changing. Abner has hit alot of balls hard lately with good results to show for it. His outfield play has been spectacular. The kid basically runs down everything. I believe he could play right field in the big leagues right now. He still has work to do in recognizing breaking pitches and improving the walk/strikeout ratio, but don't give up on this kid. With another 25 pounds and improvements at the plate, he may become what everyone thought he could be. And he's still only 21 years old.
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 am

ktriber wrote:His outfield play has been spectacular. The kid basically runs down everything. I believe he could play right field in the big leagues right now. He still has work to do in recognizing breaking pitches and improving the walk/strikeout ratio, but don't give up on this kid. With another 25 pounds and improvements at the plate, he may become what everyone thought he could be. And he's still only 21 years old.

Exactly. All the tools are there. I personally don't believe the plate discipline will ever materialize and he will wash out at some point, but he is still a good prospect with his power potential and his excellent defensive ability in RF. It really comes down to the bat with him and becoming more consistent making contact and a better approach. Probably will never happen, but sometimes the light can suddenly go on and things click.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Sound the alarms. Abner Abreu is on fire.

Last 6 games:
9-19
4 HR
2 Triples
2 Doubles

Granted, he has 6 strikeouts, but that's some pretty nice pop.

Keep it up, kid!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Abreu 4-for-4 with a 3B, HR and 5RBI tonight

Wild one in Kinston.... K-Tribe up 11-10 in the 7th.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Really is time to to consider moving a couple Kinston guys, Abreu, Abraham, Tice and Holt come to mind.... Not because they need (or one of them) it but it is time to get Aguliar up there, and possibly Monsalve even.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:29 am

criznit2009 wrote:Really is time to to consider moving a couple Kinston guys, Abreu, Abraham, Tice and Holt come to mind.... Not because they need (or one of them) it but it is time to get Aguliar up there, and possibly Monsalve even.

Hey criz, I am not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about promoting any of these guys to Akron? Or just cutting them? Or a mix of the two? The reason I ask is that Abraham and Tice are not prospects or even good organizational filler. There is no chance they will succeed at an upper level IMO. Holt barely has a prospect pulse and is a fringe prospect at best, but he is worthy of organizational filler and little more. There is no evidence from his performance that he would be of any value to Akron now that I can see. Abreu is little more than an athlete that has major holes in his makeup. All the statistics show he would be absolutely lost in AA where pitchers routinely throw breaking balls and off speed pitches for strikes which he is helpless to recognize, much less hit. It is probably worthwhile keeping him around in case he shows some progress at Kinston but it is difficult for me to believe his recent spurt is any more than an isolated instance. I just don't see any talent at Kinston position players that is worthy of AA other than Perez, a backup catcher. If you want to cut the deadwood, so be it. But Akron has enough crappy ballplayers now, they don't need more refuse. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Abreu has finally gotten on a roll so let's not mess with him now. Let him keep hitting at Kinston and assuming he continues to do well, promote him to Akron at the start of next season. Just my two cents.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 pm

With all of his past struggles, I sure wouldn't be inclined to promote Abreu now that he is finally hitting very well.

He needs to experience some extended success, to build up his confidence.

No matter what, I'd leave him where he is for the remainder of the season.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:19 pm

I wouldn't promote anyone from Kinston to Akron based on performance. I believe Abreu will play the whole year in Kinston, but is one of the few guys there who looks promising. There isn't single player in Kinston who should be promoted solely on performance. The real problem is a couple more guys in Lake County should probably be playing there in Kinston full time. Guys like Brunette and Tice in particular are not helping and Roberto Perez despite his nice OBP looks like he will always struggle at the plate. Think its time to bump Tice up to Akron (just to clear room) give Aguliar his spot and become the everyday 1st baseman. Abraham could also go to Akron, its not like Bellows is doing very much up there.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:19 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I wouldn't promote anyone from Kinston to Akron based on performance. I believe Abreu will play the whole year in Kinston, but is one of the few guys there who looks promising. There isn't single player in Kinston who should be promoted solely on performance. The real problem is a couple more guys in Lake County should probably be playing there in Kinston full time. Guys like Brunette and Tice in particular are not helping and Roberto Perez despite his nice OBP looks like he will always struggle at the plate. Think its time to bump Tice up to Akron (just to clear room) give Aguliar his spot and become the everyday 1st baseman. Abraham could also go to Akron, its not like Bellows is doing very much up there.

Hey criz, my point is that you don't need to kill Akron to get rid of Tice. He has no value at Akron or the talent to ever play there usefully. When an orgaizational player loses his usefulness and blocks a promotion, you simply cut him in some fashion. Bellows is a 3B. Abrahams in not a 3B. He cannot defend any positon. Maybe Bellows hitting will improve some more but I can assure you, since having watched Abrahams play 3B since college, that his sole value there is is willingness to try hard. You seem to believe that Abrahams mediocre bat at Kinston will somehow play better than Bellows recent bat at Akron. Let me assure you it will not. Abrahams swing is long and slow and will be eaten alive by AA pitchers who throw curves and offspeed. He will be much like the Bellows of early this year but does not have the hitting ability to improve. Next year, he will probably be a utility player and DH in Kinston when Ursela, who is rough but has some skills, likely ascends to 3B at Kinston. Akron's pitching is bad enough without two more dismal defenders like Tice and Abrahams and that goes for Brunette as well. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Abreu with an RBI single in his first AB tonight.

I like the fact that the K-Tribe are keeping him down in the #6 hole..... he's had some struggles so, now that he's finding some form, leave him where he is and let him ride the hot streak.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:22 pm

And a homer...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby catfish » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 pm

We need an outfielder. Let him start against the white sox tomorrow.
catfish
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ktriber » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 am

martyinnewyork wrote:And a homer...

Off a curveball :yahoo:
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:06 pm

ktriber wrote:

And three Ks in three plate appearances today. Sorry but I have to see a whole lot more to believe this is anything more than a hot week when he got a lot of weak fastballs and hanger breaking balls. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:54 pm

1-1 since Inky's post!!! Call him up!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:20 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:1-1 since Inky's post!!! Call him up!!!

YOu got that right miny! He is clearly ready for the show with another big streak in store. The opponents' pitching will beg for mercy and refuse to play the games! :yahoo:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Preston Guilmet with his 26th save of the year.

As a guy who turns 24 next week, having dominated low-A last year and High-A this year, you have to think he needs to be challenged to see if he's a legit relief prospect.

Problem is now though, with Stowell and Bryson both recently moved to Akron, it'll be tough to find innings for Guilmet in AA for the time being.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ktriber » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:10 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
ktriber wrote:

And three Ks in three plate appearances today. Sorry but I have to see a whole lot more to believe this is anything more than a hot week when he got a lot of weak fastballs and hanger breaking balls. :pleasantry:

He's batting .407 for the month of July with 8 homers. That's over three weeks, not one. I watch him play almost every home game. For the first year plus, he rarely even made any loud outs. He has starting pulling the ball alot more and its has made a big difference. Granted, he has a long way to go, but if he can finish the year out in Kinston with a solid August, I think he reestablishes himself as a prospect. He really has got major league skills in certain areas.
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:08 pm

ktriber wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
ktriber wrote:

He's batting .407 for the month of July with 8 homers. That's over three weeks, not one. I watch him play almost every home game. For the first year plus, he rarely even made any loud outs. He has starting pulling the ball alot more and its has made a big difference. Granted, he has a long way to go, but if he can finish the year out in Kinston with a solid August, I think he reestablishes himself as a prospect. He really has got major league skills in certain areas.

I hope you are right that Abreu will restablish himself as a prospect. The reason I use the one week ( 8 days actually) period from 7/16 to 7/23 is that is the only period that I see where his biggest issue IMO, K/BB shows significant improvement. Abreu's hot streak is nowhere near as long as Goedert's was last year and I did not believe in it either. I am just not a believer that his mental approach to hitting is now equal to his physical gifts but I will be glad when they do. This originally started because a poster wanted to promote Abreu and others out of Kinston to Akron to make room for some LC prospects. I am still not convinced he is ready for promotion but if you disagree, I can live with that. Personally, I prefer to see steady improvement over a continual period rather than a week or even partial month but that is just me. And you have read enough of my posts to know that I go by what I see when they play (or in this case on tape). Statistical analysis is fine but I call it like I see the swing mechanics and pitch recognition. IF you need confirmation, ask Tony if he recalls my disappointment at his perfomance in ST. That is what I saw then and I still see some of the same flaws today. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby ktriber » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:03 am

kslinger - Some of the flaws are still there. I think he should finish out the season at Kinston. I think one of the things that some forget because Abner has been in the system so long is that if he would have been from the US and played in college, he would probably be in Mahoning Valley right now. He basically wasted last year but is still young for the Carolina League.

What is intriguing about the guy is what could be possible IF he could correct his issues at the plate for good. In my opinion, he could be close to a 30-30 type player. He is still a longshot to do that, but most of the players that come through Kinston have no shot at being that caliber of player. I guess the organization will have to decide if they believe soon also because he would have to be placed on the 40 man roster soon, wouldn't he?
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:55 pm

ktriber wrote:kslinger - Some of the flaws are still there. I think he should finish out the season at Kinston. I think one of the things that some forget because Abner has been in the system so long is that if he would have been from the US and played in college, he would probably be in Mahoning Valley right now. He basically wasted last year but is still young for the Carolina League.

What is intriguing about the guy is what could be possible IF he could correct his issues at the plate for good. In my opinion, he could be close to a 30-30 type player. He is still a longshot to do that, but most of the players that come through Kinston have no shot at being that caliber of player. I guess the organization will have to decide if they believe soon also because he would have to be placed on the 40 man roster soon, wouldn't he?

Hi ktribe, These rules about this stuff are not a strong point of mine. I agree completely about the upside, just not willing to commit that he has crossed that imaginary line. I am not sure anyone would pick him up in the draft until he has shown some aptitude at AA so that would be the guide for my opinion on the 40 issue. There is some big differences between what Abreu will see at AA and what he has seen the last year and a half at Kinston. He could experience early problems in AA because of the nature of his particular issues at the plate but if he has turned the corner, he could well adapt to the ballplayer you describe. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby ktriber » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 pm

On another note, got my first couple of chances to see Trey Haley. He was up to 99 last time he pitched, but he is still all over the place. Needless to say, nobody is digging in at the plate when Haley's on the mound.

Now, if he can get things figured out, he could be nasty.
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby ktriber » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey Kslinger, I guess they'll have to pick up the Abreu discussion on the Cubs board, huh? His fate has probably been sealed for stardom now that the Indians have traded him. He was 1-4 with a single in his first game for the Daytona Cubs playing LF.
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:40 pm

ktriber wrote:Hey Kslinger, I guess they'll have to pick up the Abreu discussion on the Cubs board, huh? His fate has probably been sealed for stardom now that the Indians have traded him. He was 1-4 with a single in his first game for the Daytona Cubs playing LF.

Amen ktriber! Hope that Aguilar is a portent of things to come where prospects are actually moved into the position players instead of organizational players like Casas and Gallas. I am not in favor of rushing prospects but there are players that could be comfortably moved both in and out of LC IMO. Although not a top prospect, Moncreif seems like a natural to move. Very likely to struggle, especially with LHP but he is an even better defender than Abreu IMO with similar athletic skill. By rights, he should have been there by now except for the attempt at pitching. He would be easily replaced from MV. Another in that regard is Monsalve. He will be a hitter and a pretty good catcher from what I see and he is easily replaced with a catcher from MV. There are some others who might fit including players at MV but I would settle for those two. When it comes to position players, Kinston is a talent wasteland. That happens in any organization but there is no reason to hold players back if they show enough skill to avoid embarrassment at A+. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Aguilar picks a good time for his first K-Tribe HR..... go-ahead solo HR in the top 10th.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Aguilar beginning to heat it up at Kinston, had his 3rd multi-hit game in the past 4 games.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:35 pm

Congratulations to the Kinston Indians. The team that couldn't hit straight rode good pitching into the playoffs. Hard to believe the final game was won by a pitcher promoted from LC, Goodnight, for this game and saved by the orgainzation's resident wild man, Haley. Looks like one more game at the "legendary". :drinks:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Congrats to the K-Tribe.

Speaking of Haley, he has touched 100 MPH a few times this season. He and Adams are the only ones to join the Triple Digit club this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Live Streaming of the broadcast of the K-Tribe's game can be found on the net.. It's 960 Am.. :s_thumbsup
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Kinston getting clobbered after an 11-run third including 3 walks and 3 errors...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:49 pm

Tough way to end a season.

To any members of the Kinston organization that may be reading this: Best of luck with your future endeavors.

To the fans in Kinston: Hopefully you have a team of some kind to cheer for next summer. If not, hopefully the wait is not long.

To everybody involved in Eastern NC baseball the last quarter century: THANKS! :s_thumbsup
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Good luck to Kinston going forward in getting another team. Some great people there!

The Carolina Mudcat era has officially begun.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk