Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

College World Series

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

College World Series

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Starting a new thread. Tribe has guys in the Super Regional. Roberts & Barr-UVa, MacPhee-ASU, Roth-S Carolina. Oregon State still in but isn't Starr injured?

Right now Roth outpitching Barnes, S Carolina vs UConn. Roth is throwing more than 10mph slower but hitting spots using FB(?) & change. Barnes getting hit pretty solid in the top 5th. Meant to mention in the Draft Thread but too busy at work: Seen Roth pitch twice before & he's the best fielding pitcher I've seen since Maddux. Dude could play 3B.

Tribe draft guys looking smarter & smarter passing over Barnes who's choking like a dog on a chicken bone. Barnes can't find the plate & when he does S Carolina is beating him like a drum. SC now up 5-1 after 3 straight rbi singles.

Barnes has good stuff but a lot to learn.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: College World Series

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 pm

UConn is going to get swept. These northern schools often get their clocks cleaned vs. SEC schools, particularly on the road. They are just a lot better players in the SEC and the fans take it very seriously. Barnes was getting hit pretty good early on but got away with it. I'll never forget seeing Ohio State play Mississippi State in the super regionals like 10 years ago -- MSU fans came out in force, more than a dozen RV's, tailgating before the game. It's a different breed of baseball down there.

Texas vs. Arizona State on the other channel. Deven Marrero is a nice prospect for next year's draft, although I was expecting more out of him.
Last edited by OhioBaseball on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Would be interesting seeing a lefty play 3B but agree on his defense. Really gets off the mound well.

Also, if there was any curiosity on why the Tribe drafted Roth.....recorded 18 outs so far today, 14 via groundouts.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Damn, that Wingo's a player.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:09 pm

I live south of the border in SEC country, right on SEC fans (esp. Here in ky) are like Browns fans maybe as intense. Googled Dillon Howard and found an Arkansas Razorback baseball blog... I was shocked!
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:51 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I live south of the border in SEC country, right on SEC fans (esp. Here in ky) are like Browns fans maybe as intense. Googled Dillon Howard and found an Arkansas Razorback baseball blog... I was shocked!

Yeah, it's way different in that part of the country. It's actually pretty cool. I should note when I saw OSU vs. MSU, it was in Columbus. Those fans came out hard despite the 650 mile trip!

It's also just way better baseball. I've seen a lot of MAC and Big Ten baseball -- both conferences will generally have a good prospect or two every year, but just watching the guys take infield practice before the games -- the talent and skill in the SEC puts those conferences to shame.

My adopted favorite college baseball team, North Carolina, (my real favorites are OSU, Miami-OH and Ohio U but they aren't good) punched their ticket to Omaha. That's bad news if you were hoping to get some looks at future draft prospects in the CWS b/c Stanford has a handful of potential 1st rounders -- this year's UNC team is pretty light on prospects.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Yeah, it's way different in that part of the country. It's actually pretty cool. I should note when I saw OSU vs. MSU, it was in Columbus. Those fans came out hard despite the 650 mile trip!

It's also just way better baseball. I've seen a lot of MAC and Big Ten baseball -- both conferences will generally have a good prospect or two every year, but just watching the guys take infield practice before the games -- the talent and skill in the SEC puts those conferences to shame.

My adopted favorite college baseball team, North Carolina, (my real favorites are OSU, Miami-OH and Ohio U but they aren't good) punched their ticket to Omaha. That's bad news if you were hoping to get some looks at future draft prospects in the CWS b/c Stanford has a handful of potential 1st rounders -- this year's UNC team is pretty light on prospects.

I've seen Georgia Tech play at Kennesaw State (just around the corner from me - less than 5 miles) in 2009. Despite it being a week day game, the talent was there. GT is stacked at just about every position every year and KSU gets quality kids (4 on that KSU team were drafted with Jenkins and Heckathorn going in the 1st round). As my step-son's HS teammate will be playing at KSU next year, I hope to see a game or 4.

The south and southwest certainly have a distinctive advantage over the Ohio schools in college baseball. They are going at it on campus and on the field in January (JC's) and February. While tOSU will always be my fav, I have adopted KSU, GT and UNC (because Kent Emanuel - my step-son's former HS teammate) as my teams. UNC is in this year!!!!
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 am

GT and UNC always get the good Ohio kids
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Zunino goes yard in the 1st for the Gators. He's had just a terrific year. If he follows it up next year with anything similar he has to go top 5 in the draft. He's great defensively too. I might have seen him play 20 times & he always does something good.

The Gators whole sophomore class is great, one of the best college classes I've ever seen. We'll se if they do anything this year. They only have one more year together to get it done.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Piggot follows with a HR with a man on. Gators on their way. Check that , Ramjit goes back to back. Gators up 4-0. Ramjit's 1st this year although he hit close to .400 as a bench guy.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Zunino has a nice power swing and the guy is strong. He looks good running, too -- surpisingly athletic. Definitely a prospect that can hit, is strong and has interesting run and throw tools.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Vickerson goes deep again for Miss State. The ball is flying out today. He was scuffling early in the year but really picked it up when the tounament games started up. He kills FB's but has probs with BB's. The Gators probably know this but Alex P can't get one over.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Zunino has hit the ball hard every time up today.

Nolan Fantana does not look like a 1st round talent to me, but he's got some infield skills.

It's too bad we're not seeing Brian Johnson play this weekend. Saw him last year and thought he looked good.

Definitely rooting for Florida in this match-up. Lot better prospects on this team than Miss State.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Gators win. Good game. MSU played tough in the other teams' house. What new bats? Gators with 5HRs.

Agree that Fontana's not a 1st Round guy right now. Kid's tough & he can field too. Must be something in the water in Central Florida. Fontana played his HS games about 5 miles away from where Lindor played his. That's some serious SS talent.

Of course, since I lived there most of my life I may be a little prejudiced.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Gators win. Good game. MSU played tough in the other teams' house. What new bats? Gators with 5HRs.

Agree that Fontana's not a 1st Round guy right now. Kid's tough & he can field too. Must be something in the water in Central Florida. Fontana played his HS games about 5 miles away from where Lindor played his. That's some serious SS talent.

Thoughts on Karsten Whitson?
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:49 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Gators win. Good game. MSU played tough in the other teams' house. What new bats? Gators with 5HRs.

Only seen him pitch a couple of innings. Keep missing his starts & I'm hoping to see him during the CWS. Have you seen him?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:53 pm

when are these games supposed to start up again?
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:when are these games supposed to start up again?

After the Super Regionals the actual CWS semis run fron 6/18 through 6/25 if necessary. The finals run from 6/27-6/29, if necessary.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:when are these games supposed to start up again?

There is a pretty sweet online bracket on NCAA's website that has the time and TV channel of all the games. You can find it here; http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2011
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks, was just wondering about the games that were in rain delay b/c I was not by a tv. I see that Virginia is scheduled to start up again at 630
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:

Only seen him pitch a couple of innings. Keep missing his starts & I'm hoping to see him during the CWS. Have you seen him?

I only saw him in his start yesterday. He's obviously good. His arm is really quick and his FB was between 89-95 mph yesterday, mostly around 91-92 mph. He's got a good pitcher's body, a good delivery, good arm action. His command looked advanced for a freshman. He looked pretty polished for someone his age, and while projectability doesn't scream out at you watching him, I can see him bumping his stuff up a little through physical maturity, although he's already pretty well developed.

Compared to Mark Appel, I can see Appel potentially dominating hitters b/c his stuff can be overpowering. Watching Whitson, I didn't see a lot of dominance potential. Granted, Appel is less polished than Whitson (in my opinion). Whitson looks considerably closer to his ceiling (which I view as a 2-3 starter) than Appel is to his ceiling (ace).
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Great finish to the UVA Irvine series
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Great finish to the UVA Irvine series

Did you watch the game? How did Roberts look?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Assuming the A & M score holds up the final 8, CWS field has 3 SEC teams & 2 ACC teams. Add 2 Texas teams & the only team ouside the South is Cal.

I know that it was considered a down season for Cal teams & that most acknowledge that the Southeast is dominant but this is pretty impressive. We could just as well have the winners of the ACC & Sec tournaments play for the national championship.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:Great finish to the UVA Irvine series

Did you watch the game? How did Roberts look?

Strike thrower, FB 88-91. Chance to be a back of rotation guy. Felt like he didnt have his best although UC Irvine might just be a team that always puts it in play. Not many balls hit hard. Dont know if he projects to gain any velocity but his strike throwing should at least give him a chance to make the Majors.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Can the Indians sign Roberts, Barr, or Roth in time for the start of the short season (MV) if they are willing to forgo the CWS, or is there an MLB rule forbidding this?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Can the Indians sign Roberts, Barr, or Roth in time for the start of the short season (MV) if they are willing to forgo the CWS, or is there an MLB rule forbidding this?

I am not sure of any rules except they are still in their college season. The Tribe usually shuts down their college arms to manage workload so I do not even think that is a possibility.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:51 pm

daingean wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Can the Indians sign Roberts, Barr, or Roth in time for the start of the short season (MV) if they are willing to forgo the CWS, or is there an MLB rule forbidding this?

I am not sure of any rules except they are still in their college season. The Tribe usually shuts down their college arms to manage workload so I do not even think that is a possibility.

Good point. Barr's an outfielder, but I doubt 39th pick bonus money a couple of weeks earlier (plus a couple extra Short-A paychecks) is a sufficient inducement to skip playing the CWS.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Barr will sign as soon as Virginia's season is done.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby petes999 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:42 pm

daingean wrote:

Note, the pitchers they shut down are those who sign on August 15th deadline. By the time the ramp up their arms again, it is instructional league time. And, remember, Roth has been noted by Tony as someone who is going to Spain this summer and is in no rush to sign this year -- rather finish his degree.

But, if a pitcher signs quickly, they are usually assigned to MV/AZ ... Also remember we have Sterling, Dichler, Salazar, and a few others not assigned to a team yet.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:40 pm

This is my top 10 prospect list for those players I watched in the Super Regionals this past weekend. This is not an exhaustive list and won't include everyone, b/c I didn't see everyone. I considered how the prospects look and their performance this year. This is focuses *solely* on freshman and sophomores b/c I'm always looking forward to future drafts; guys like Barnes, Gray, Jungmann, Springer, etc are boring to me by now.

1 - Austin Wilson; rf, Stanford, 2013. Big time power prospect. Looks like Sammy Sosa standing at the plate (swing not the same, though). Wilson K'd too often this year, so that's a major concern but he's still young and has a lot of upside. His arm strength is major league plus right now and he looked to be an average runner. Killer strength on this guy.

2 - Mark Appel; sp, Stanford, 2012. Big, strong and athletic. Comfortably sat 94-96mph for 4-5 innings from a tall arm slot with a plus breaking pitch. Also comfortably threw a change-up, although on numerous occasions his arm speed wasn't there on the pitch. I'm kind of concerned about his command. Upside of an ace, but he needs to continue to improve b/c I think he's got a long way to go before he reaches his upside.

3 - Karsten Whitson; sp, Florida, 2013. Very quick arm, good pitcher's body. 89-95 mph with good arm side run and downward tilt. His offspeed pitches didn't look plus the way Appel's did, but they are pretty solid. I see a future 2-3 starter and he's not too far from reaching that ceiling the way Appel is.

4 - Mike Zunino; c/3b/of/1b, Florida, 2012. Killed the SEC this year. Strong upper half, very nice pull power, athletic body build. Surprisingly athletic. Didn't see enough of his catching skills to make a good assessment, but if that doesn't work out he runs well enough to play the outfield. Very nice toolset here. He seemed a bit pull-conscious and I think his swing can get long, though.

5 - Michael Wacha, sp, Texas A&M, 2012. Very long arms, throws downhill well, good run on his fastball and his change-up looks major league right now; tremendous arm speed on the pitch. Breaking ball looked a little inconsistent, but this is a 1st round kind of pitcher. Compared to 2011 6'4", RHP, 1st rounder, I think he's better than Matt Barnes.

6 - Corey Knebel, sp/rp, Texas, 2013. I only saw 1 inning, but I was really impressed. Out of the pen he was consistently 96-97mph and he had a good sweeping breaking ball. Threw strikes in pressure situations. His delivery is not fully refined yet, but this guy is a prospect.

(I kind of see a drop off here)

7 - Erich Weiss, 1b/of, Texas, 2013. This might be a reach, but I get the feeling this guy is going to develop into a really good hitter. Decent athleticism, good approach; as he adds strength, he could be very good. Brandon Belt was not too different.

8 - Deven Marrero, ss, Arizona State, 2012. You'll probably see him higher on other lists that will come out later on, but I was not impressed with his offensive ability. Defensively, he's got the arm strength to play on the left side of the diamond at the major league level and he's very good infield skills, but he's not anything more than a line-drive hitter right now and I don't think he's got the body to ever be a power guy. He's also just an average runner.

9 - Christian Walker, 1b/3b, South Carolina, 2012. This guy is a good hitter, but he doesn't really have the tools to be much more than a below average defensive 3b or corner outfielder. A tweener prospect at this point, but he can hit.

10 - Colin Moran, 1b/3b/of, North Carolina, 2013. I had to sneak a Tar Heel in here. He's kind of a similar prospect to Erich Weiss, but I believe in Weiss' athleticism and projection more. Moran has a narrow body, and he doesn't have good run & throw tools. He's going to have to hit to earn his dinner, but he's off to a very good start.

There are other good prospects out there, but I didn't see them play.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 pm

UVA LF & future Tribester John Barr was 2-2 with a BB in Virginia's win today.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chiefroy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 am

If a guy was willing to do this to his school and his college teammates, I wouldn't WANT to sign him.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm

How about the job today by the UNC freshman from Woodstock (GA) Kent Emanuel. Complete game 4 hit shut-out. Kent was dealing today. I know he needs to add a little velo but (if he does) he should be a high pick in 2015. :good:

OK. Jumping off my soap box now :biggrin:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 pm

How did we pass up Preston Tucker so so so many times? Why did everyone, for that matter?

Is there something about him that I don't know? Does he plan on returning for his senior year to improve his draft stock?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:36 pm

entertheshoe wrote:How did we pass up Preston Tucker so so so many times? Why did everyone, for that matter?

Is there something about him that I don't know? Does he plan on returning for his senior year to improve his draft stock?

Has looked horrible in the field when Ive seen him so maybe he projects as a DH. Not really sure though
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Preston Tucker told teams he wanted 2nd round money. Teams didn't think he was worth it. He's a good hitter, but there are a lot of guys like him out there; 1b/fringe OF talent, 6'0", close to physically maxed out. He also didn't have that awesome of a season; kind of guy that needs to hit to get early round buzz. He doesn't move very well either, which limits him as far as the outfield. It looks like he's a pretty decent thrower. It's not that he's a bad prospect, but he's kind of a dime-a-dozen guy and he wanted too much $$$. I agree with you, though. Otherwise, he would have made for a good pick in the 5th round or so.

I didn't get to see Emanuel for UNC today but have seen him before. He's not of the top prospect ilk, but I think could be a 4th or 5th rounder when eligible -- possibly could go higher if he improves significantly. UNC normally has a 1st round arm or two in their rotation; its a down year for them talent wise but they've done quite well despite.

Mike Zunino made a hell of a throw the other day. He's got the skills to be a C it looks to me. Like Rocky says, he's a very good prospect. Try to get your looks in before the season is over!
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:14 pm

I only caught the first two innings, but Karsten Whitson looked really good tonight. Better than he did in the super regional. Hoping Florida makes it to the championship series to continue to get more looks at this team. Lots of good prospects on Florida's team.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 am

OhioBaseball wrote:I didn't get to see Emanuel for UNC today but have seen him before. He's not of the top prospect ilk, but I think could be a 4th or 5th rounder when eligible -- possibly could go higher if he improves significantly. UNC normally has a 1st round arm or two in their rotation; its a down year for them talent wise but they've done quite well despite.

I can't argue with the 4th or 5th round label on Kent. Not sure what his velocity is now but last year he was able to touch 91 but sat mostly in the 88-86 range. He has very good control of his 3 pitches (always had since I first saw him play as a HS Soph.). I know UNC wants to work on adding more velocity to get more swing and misses as most of his strikeouts in college were of the caught looking variety. He is a tall lefty and has the frame to add more muscle and get his velo up into the low to mid 90's which would raise his draft stock (he's got 2 more years to work on it). :s_cool
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:10 am

OhioBaseball wrote:Preston Tucker told teams he wanted 2nd round money. Teams didn't think he was worth it. He's a good hitter, but there are a lot of guys like him out there; 1b/fringe OF talent, 6'0", close to physically maxed out. He also didn't have that awesome of a season; kind of guy that needs to hit to get early round buzz. He doesn't move very well either, which limits him as far as the outfield. It looks like he's a pretty decent thrower. It's not that he's a bad prospect, but he's kind of a dime-a-dozen guy and he wanted too much $$$. I agree with you, though. Otherwise, he would have made for a good pick in the 5th round or so.
Preston Tucker was a bona-fide talent as a first baseman. He was moved to RF to make the team better. He's a quality team guy, a high character guy and would be fine addition to any minor league system. If the Indians had drafted him in the 3rd-6th round, an over slot signing bonus would not be wasted, imho...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Roberts starting against SCar just started
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:17 pm

What a surprise, the SEC is dominating the CWS. I don't know what it is, but the ACC is a good conference but when it's on the line these ACC teams just roll over and die. The SEC is just a different breed baseball.

Here's a tip for the prospect junkies; if a guy can play in the SEC, dude is a player.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby rtrtrt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Any veteran attendees of the CWS in Omaha out there? I am thinking about popping over to Omaha tomorrow to catch a game at 2 PM . A small allotment of GA tickets are set aside for walkups for day of the game. Any opinions as whether Florida v. Vandy will be a hot ticket?
rtrtrt
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Sorry, rt. I've never been out to Omaha. Hope you went to the South Carolina v. Virginia game last night instead. I've been outspoken about how much I've disliked Danny Hultzen for a couple years now, but even I was impressed with him last night. He looked like a major leaguer -- and they guy was apparently extremely ill (literally! not in a hipster lingo sense). He might have stepped up his stuff knowing he would only throw 40-50 pitches, but regardless, he looked good.

Stupid me, I went out for dinner after the 3rd inning of last night's game and got back around the 12th inning. I'm so upset I missed this game -- looked like a killer game!! Branden Kline and Matt Price (both teams' closers) may have had their arms abused a tad, but both are guys looked like high future drafts (Kline 2012 and Price 2013). Both are closers, but could be used as SP's next year or as pro prospects. Both are potential 1st round guys.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Looking forward to tonight game 2. Going to be a nice pitching matchup. Go gators.

Quick question. Last night the Gators put in a lefty reliever whose name I forget. That's not important but he had a strange delivery where he lifts his right foot, brings it back down, then lifts his right leg again for his delivery. How is that not a balk? Isn't the purpose of the balk to stop pitchers from decieving hitters into thinking they're about to deliver? How is an arm flinch from Tony Sipp a balk but that isn't? Is it because he does the early leg kick every time?

Someone help me out here.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Looking forward to tonight game 2. Going to be a nice pitching matchup. Go gators.

Quick question. Last night the Gators put in a lefty reliever whose name I forget. That's not important but he had a strange delivery where he lifts his right foot, brings it back down, then lifts his right leg again for his delivery. How is that not a balk? Isn't the purpose of the balk to stop pitchers from decieving hitters into thinking they're about to deliver? How is an arm flinch from Tony Sipp a balk but that isn't? Is it because he does the early leg kick every time?

As long as a pitcher comes to a complete stop before beginning his motion to the plate with his foot on the rubber, be that in the form of a leg lift or an irish jig, it's not a balk. If he were to make a motion toward the plate but go to a base.. that is deception and a balk.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:27 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Looking forward to tonight game 2. Going to be a nice pitching matchup. Go gators.

No, the purpose of a balk is to prevent a pitcher from deceiving runners. You pretty much can't balk when the bases are empty. Only way I know of is to throw a pitch while not on the rubber.....which I have never seen before personally.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

These college hitters are hilarious. Just lean in to a pitch no problem, whatever it takes
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:18 pm

I know he's got a bad body, is not projectable and he can change arm slots (college guys can get away with this), but I think signing South Carolina LHP Michael Roth is something the Indians need to seriously consider.

His velocities aren't appealing, but I think his arm strength is underrated by these commentators on TV (admittedly I hardly listen to them, but when I have heard them talk about Roth they really emphasize how much of soft tosser Roth is). Roth goes out and throws 83-86 mph with no effort -- it's common to see guys throw at high effort and only get to 88-90 mph. I'm sure Roth can dial 90 if he wants to.

I admit that I'd be turned off by Roth if I was watching him throw a bullpen, but the guy has a really good change up and command of his pitches. The guy finished the season with an ERA of 1.06 including facing good teams in the postseason and playing in the SEC. There is something to be said for a guy that does that against the best competition. I am sure the Indians could find worse places to invest $125k.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I know he's got a bad body, is not projectable and he can change arm slots (college guys can get away with this), but I think signing South Carolina LHP Michael Roth is something the Indians need to consider.

His velocities aren't appealing, but I think his arm strength is underrated by these commentators on TV (admittedly I hardly listen to them, but when I have heard them talk about Roth they really emphasize how much of soft tosser Roth is). Roth goes out and throws 83-86 mph with no effort -- it's common to see guys throw at high effort and only get to 88-90 mph. I'm sure Roth can dial 90 if he wants to.

I admit that I'd be turned off by Roth very quickly if I was watching him throw a bullpen, but the guy has a really good change up and command of his pitches. The guy finished the season with an ERA of 1.06 including facing good teams in the postseason and playing in the SEC. There is something to be said for a guy that does that against the best competition. I am sure the Indians could find worse places to invest $120k.

On the other side of the coin, this guy Price looks pretty darn good.

Probably translates to a Jeremy Sowers type of pitcher. Then again, I guess that's not bad for a 31st rounder. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him just because (if they win this game) it would be like Roth walking away into the sunset. Plus, I don't see him increasing his stock much more than this.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Return to Indians Prospect Talk