RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Amateur Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Amateur Draft

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:17 pm

jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:also feel like bradley will be gone now, things are going to get interesting, I think we should all hope lindor goes 2, because that should really mess up the draft in our favor

In our favor? Ehh. I'd prefer Lindor. If both are gone, I go with Barnes.

If Lindor goes 2 Starling or Bundy falls thats why its in favor to me

True. Realistically, I don't think Bundy falls to us. 2% chance. Starling is more likely, though I'd give it 35%. I think Rendon goes 2 and if Lindor goes before our pick, it'll be at 7 to the DBacks..
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Keep hearing it's a deep draft & it is but we're picking 10 spots lower in each round after #8. Fewer guys available.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:20 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:also feel like bradley will be gone now, things are going to get interesting, I think we should all hope lindor goes 2, because that should really mess up the draft in our favor

True. Realistically, I don't think Bundy falls to us. 2% chance. Starling is more likely, though I'd give it 35%. I think Rendon goes 2 and if Lindor goes before our pick, it'll be at 7 to the DBacks..

Think he means if Lindor goesin the #2 spot it drops everyone else down a notch. Better chance Archie falls to us.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Think he means if Lindor goesin the #2 spot it drops everyone else down a notch. Better chance Archie falls to us.

No, I know what he meant. That's why mentioned I think Rendon goes 2. What I was saying is even if Lindor did go 2, I don't believe Bundy would be there. Starling... maybe. Give that a decent shot. Don't see Bundy happening though. Archie has been gaining a lot of steam at 4, so I'm not sure he'd fall to us regardless.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:28 pm

ClevBuck wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Andrew Z. (Struthers, OH)

Your take on Jed Bradley's potential/future ceiling?

Klaw (2:57 PM)

If you can find him a breaking ball - try a true CB, or even a cutter - there's a #2 starter in there. But the risk is right now he's basically FB-CH.

Two pitch pitchers=bullpen.

At #8, overall.. not an impact player...

So Drew Pomeranz=Bullpen? I mean that's what you just said.
Have you watch Pomeranz pitch?.. he's got more than a fastball and a curve.. sorry.. that's exactly what I DIDN'T mean.. :rolleyes:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:30 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
ClevBuck wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

If you can find him a breaking ball - try a true CB, or even a cutter - there's a #2 starter in there. But the risk is right now he's basically FB-CH.

Have you watch Pomeranz pitch?.. he's got more than a fastball and a curve.. sorry.. that's exactly what I DIDN'T mean.. :rolleyes:

Pomeranz has a changeup. It's still somewhat of a work in progress, but he definitely has it and it's an average pitch.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ClevBuck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:34 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
ClevBuck wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

If you can find him a breaking ball - try a true CB, or even a cutter - there's a #2 starter in there. But ithe risk is right now he's basically FB-CH.

At #8, overall.. not an impact player...[/quote

Have you watch Pomeranz pitch?.. he's got more than a fastball and a curve.. sorry.. that's exactly what I DIDN'T mean..

Oh so in other words you have no idea what your talking about. Got it.. Pomeranz has no true developed pitch outside of his fastball and curve and even admitted himself in an interview posted in on of his threads on thus board. Do your research next time son.
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect

Postby ClevBuck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:36 pm

His change up was non existant when we drafted him.

A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
ClevBuck wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Pomeranz has a changeup. It's still somewhat of a work in progress, but he definitely has it and it's an average pitch.
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:37 pm

These draft pundit guys are pretty unimaginative. So if Archie goes before our pick we have to go college arm? Jeez look at the list of guys left after the 7th pick. Jed, Gray, Barnes, Jungmann, they're all better than anyone on the list? I'd rather go position guy. Nimmo is a potential 5 tool guy, Wong could be in MLB next September, Cron can hit it out of Yellowstone park, Mahtook & Springer are talented OF's who should move quick through the system, Swihart's got a Mark Grace bat as a switch hitting catcher.

Screw those guys.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Rocky55 wrote:These draft pundit guys are pretty unimaginative. So if Archie goes before our pick we have to go college arm? Jeez look at the list of guys left after the 7th pick. Jed, Gray, Barnes, Jungmann, they're all better than anyone on the list? I'd rather go position guy. Nimmo is a potential 5 tool guy, Wong could be in MLB next September, Cron can hit it out of Yellowstone park, Mahtook & Springer are talented OF's who should move quick through the system, Swihart's got a Mark Grace bat as a switch hitting catcher.

Screw those guys.
Part of the fun and excitement of the draft.. who goes where.. who signs where.. Josh Bell has huge upside.. but won't sign, or so he says.. Dillon Howard is perhaps the one of the best prep arms in the draft, why isn't he getting a lot of love?.. because of his association with Boras?.. does Boras have that much influence?.. should he?.. Will Joe Ross actually go to college if he's drafted in the top 20?.. who knows.. speculated speculation is what this is all about at this point.. Will the M's pass on Rendon's bad shoulder/injury history and take an impact glove/SS?. Why would the M's pass on Starling?..

Most of the reasons one team is said to be "in on" a guy are based on who happened to be at what game when someone else happened to be there at the same time..i.e... the Indians aren't in on Alex Meyer because the two times a prognosticator was there, he didn't see Chris Antonetti at the same game?..

We have just over 3 hours until the draft starts..and other than speculation, we don't have a lot of facts to rely on.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Rocky55 wrote:These draft pundit guys are pretty unimaginative. So if Archie goes before our pick we have to go college arm? Jeez look at the list of guys left after the 7th pick. Jed, Gray, Barnes, Jungmann, they're all better than anyone on the list? I'd rather go position guy. Nimmo is a potential 5 tool guy, Wong could be in MLB next September, Cron can hit it out of Yellowstone park, Mahtook & Springer are talented OF's who should move quick through the system, Swihart's got a Mark Grace bat as a switch hitting catcher.

Screw those guys.

I agree. I get tired of the rankings and mock drafts because they are pretty much all the same and every year they are wrong to a fair degree. BA does a good job, but most other rankings are basically derivations of BA's due Diligence

I do think most of the talk we're hearing is coming from advisors and not the teams themselves. Specific advisors may be talking up their own book to the media types as a tool to improve Their client's position. BA said no way would Cleveland let chris sale beyond them, but it happened. Teams get no advantage telling the media what they are doing. This talk is all from advisors. They are in the loop to a degree but don't exactly know what teams are actually going to do
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Updating my mock draft:

1. Gerrit Cole
2. Anthony Rendon
3. Trevor Bauer
4. Archie Bradley
5. Dylan Bundy
6. Danny Hultzen
7. Matt Barnes
8. Jed Bradley
9. Bubba Starling
10. George Springer
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:27 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Updating my mock draft:

1. Gerrit Cole
2. Anthony Rendon
3. Trevor Bauer
4. Archie Bradley
5. Dylan Bundy
6. Danny Hultzen
7. Matt Barnes
8. Jed Bradley
9. Bubba Starling
10. George Springer
NO WAY.. if Starling is there.. put a cap with an "EYE" that looks like feather on his new hat and a jersey with Chief Wahoo on his sleeve and then back up a BRINKS Truck....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:29 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

1. Gerrit Cole
2. Anthony Rendon
3. Trevor Bauer
4. Archie Bradley
5. Dylan Bundy
6. Danny Hultzen
7. Matt Barnes
8. Jed Bradley
9. Bubba Starling
10. George Springer
NO WAY.. if Starling is there.. put a cap with an "EYE" that looks like feather on his new hat and a jersey with Chief Wahoo on his sleeve and then back up a BRINKS Truck....

We'll see. I'm with you, I'd take Starling. But, not getting the vibe if he's there we'll take him. Hope I'm wrong.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:30 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

1. Gerrit Cole
2. Anthony Rendon
3. Trevor Bauer
4. Archie Bradley
5. Dylan Bundy
6. Danny Hultzen
7. Matt Barnes
8. Jed Bradley
9. Bubba Starling
10. George Springer

We'll see. I'm with you, I'd take Starling. But, not getting the vibe if he's there we'll take him. Hope I'm wrong.
There's a first for everything....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Falcons115 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:30 pm

would much rather take Guerrieri, or Starling over Jed Bradley, like i've said i'd rather take the upside then the safe pick, but if they do take Bradley i certainly hope they take some high upside guys that fell due to signability
Falcons115
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 pm

I like what I have heard on Starling but my biggest concern is that he didn't play in the WWBA last year. The WWBA is the best youth tournament each year with about 100 of the top teams each year in each age class. The WWBA is ran by Perfect Game and in 1 week at the WWBA a player will face more quality pitchers than maybe the rest of their season. Guys like Starling are working on football after the HS season ends. They don't see many quality pitchers in a HS season in Kansas (I'm sure). Heck we faced maybe 4 or 5 Division I quality pitchers this season here in Georgia which is a hot bed for HS/Youth baseball. I just wonder how a player will react to facing quality pitchers. Will he be worth the $ spent to lure him away from college football?
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Something to think about... Bobby Bundy Dylan Bundys bro. Is in the Os minor league system.... Anybody else think that helps them sign Dylan? I do. Maybe I'm grasping for hope...
My pk for the Tribe
Bauer
Bundy
ABradley
Lindor
Barnes
Baez
Swihart
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Something to think about... Bobby Bundy Dylan Bundys bro. Is in the Os minor league system.... Anybody else think that helps them sign Dylan? I do. Maybe I'm grasping for hope...
My pk for the Tribe
Bauer
Bundy
ABradley
Lindor
Barnes
Baez
Swihart

It certainly helps when your area scout already has a personal/business relationship with a player. That being said, they have to draft him first.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm still calling the pk...
Archie Bradley
Maybe...
Francisco Lindor if he's gone.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 pm

You have to be careful of what Law, Callis, Goldstein, etc say. No team has told them who they are in on, it is OTHER teams that give the info in almost every case....to which why the info can so often be wrong and misleading.

I will say this, I don't care what Law and others say....I have very good intel they plan to take a risk and go for upside/ceiling with the first pick. THe one caveat with that though is they are selecting #8, so there is a chance that all of their high upside guys they are considering with the #8 pick are gone and they do turn to a college arm. But, even if that happens, they will continue to draft BPA and I hear will really look to be extremely aggressive late in the draft.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm

TonyIPI wrote:You have to be careful of what Law, Callis, Goldstein, etc say. No team has told them who they are in on, it is OTHER teams that give the info in almost every case....to which why the info can so often be wrong and misleading.

I will say this, I don't care what Law and others say....I have very good intel they plan to take a risk and go for upside/ceiling with the first pick. THe one caveat with that though is they are selecting #8, so there is a chance that all of their high upside guys they are considering with the #8 pick are gone and they do turn to a college arm. But, even if that happens, they will continue to draft BPA and I hear will really look to be extremely aggressive late in the draft.
Misinformation from one team about another?.. nah.. can't happen.. they're all choir boys... :s_cool
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby stoike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:00 pm

TonyIPI wrote:You have to be careful of what Law, Callis, Goldstein, etc say. No team has told them who they are in on, it is OTHER teams that give the info in almost every case....to which why the info can so often be wrong and misleading.

That pretty much goes along with what I heard from my 'source'. (who does not actually dabble in the draft, but hears things) As he said "Jed Bradley? That would shock the hell out of me. We already have an abundance of #2 and #3 type starters that are getting close." He seems to think that Grant and co. are leaning towards a power arm unless an impact position player slides down.

Guess we will know in a few hours!
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:24 pm

anyone else following this garcia speck drama, he won't got to the Indians but I still find it interesting
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Bmore might be back on a sign ability pick, I am more and more thinking an outside player for the 8th pick is baez
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 pm

jellis wrote:Bmore might be back on a sign ability pick, I am more and more thinking an outside player for the 8th pick is baez

Since Bmore is on the list of those teams violating the MLB debt policy, I think this may be a good note. Washington is also on that list but I think they continue to spend.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:50 pm

jellis wrote:Bmore might be back on a sign ability pick, I am more and more thinking an outside player for the 8th pick is baez

Wouldn't hate Baez, but wouldn't love it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 pm

First surprise. Hultzen to M's.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:17 am

Rocky55 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
dc101 wrote:Strange to see this fall off the first page. Obviously kind of a slow period right now, but I would be intersted in hearing more about what direction the Tribe look at the top of this draft. It would be nice to add a power hitting 1B, or any raw power to this system.

Who fits that description that might be around when the Indians pick?

dc, you might want to go on youtube & check out some of these guys. The Baseball Factory has lots of good vids. As for your question, Bubba Starling has a good chance to be drafted @ the Tribe's pick. Later picks might be Harold Martinez of Miami & Ricky Oropesa from USC.

One HS guy that Slinger might have info on is Jacob Anderson from Chino, CA, a HS guy with lots of upside. George Tobias is a little MIF with lots of pop.

One guy that had me hyped was Addison Russell from Pace HS in Miami. Check out his vid. I couldn't find him in the FL HS top draft specs but then I realized he's a'12 grad. A guy to keep an eye on for the '12 Draft. Real athlete at SS with a lightning quick bat.

Rocky...Addison Russell...Holy cow what an awesome talent. That bat speed is incredible. We're talking Gary Sheffield-type bat speed already with WOOD! Its really hard to believe that he's a 16 or 17 year old swinging a wood bat that well. Unreal. If the Indians tank and get the #1 pick, it would be an excellent year to do it! That guy is legit. I'd like to see him run, but he's got the potential to be an Alex Rodriguez kind of prospect. I am suddenly more OK with the Indians starting Mitch Talbot and Josh Tomlin this year :) Russell is a MEGA prospect.

I finally looked at the '12 HS prospect list on PG & Russell is #7. Hard to believe there are 6 better HS specs in his class. He was 16 at the time of that vid. His BD is 1/23/94. Awesome, amazing talent. Love to have him in the Tribe.

Just a blast from the past (2011) here on Addison Russel now that he's got his names in the papers. I probably overreacted a little to Russell comparing him to Alex Rodriguez (I don't think he's got the run or throw tools or power potential) but a hell of a prospect. For whatever reason his name wasn't too popular going into the 2012 draft, though was still drafted 11th overall by Oakland. He's a good one!
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:10 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
dc101 wrote:Strange to see this fall off the first page. Obviously kind of a slow period right now, but I would be intersted in hearing more about what direction the Tribe look at the top of this draft. It would be nice to add a power hitting 1B, or any raw power to this system.

Who fits that description that might be around when the Indians pick?

dc, you might want to go on youtube & check out some of these guys. The Baseball Factory has lots of good vids. As for your question, Bubba Starling has a good chance to be drafted @ the Tribe's pick. Later picks might be Harold Martinez of Miami & Ricky Oropesa from USC.

One HS guy that Slinger might have info on is Jacob Anderson from Chino, CA, a HS guy with lots of upside. George Tobias is a little MIF with lots of pop.

One guy that had me hyped was Addison Russell from Pace HS in Miami. Check out his vid. I couldn't find him in the FL HS top draft specs but then I realized he's a'12 grad. A guy to keep an eye on for the '12 Draft. Real athlete at SS with a lightning quick bat.

Rocky...Addison Russell...Holy cow what an awesome talent. That bat speed is incredible. We're talking Gary Sheffield-type bat speed already with WOOD! Its really hard to believe that he's a 16 or 17 year old swinging a wood bat that well. Unreal. If the Indians tank and get the #1 pick, it would be an excellent year to do it! That guy is legit. I'd like to see him run, but he's got the potential to be an Alex Rodriguez kind of prospect. I am suddenly more OK with the Indians starting Mitch Talbot and Josh Tomlin this year :) Russell is a MEGA prospect.

I finally looked at the '12 HS prospect list on PG & Russell is #7. Hard to believe there are 6 better HS specs in his class. He was 16 at the time of that vid. His BD is 1/23/94. Awesome, amazing talent. Love to have him in the Tribe.

Just a blast from the past (2011) here on Addison Russel now that he's got his names in the papers. I probably overreacted a little to Russell comparing him to Alex Rodriguez (I don't think he's got the run or throw tools or power potential) but a hell of a prospect. For whatever reason his name wasn't too popular going into the 2012 draft, though was still drafted 11th overall by Oakland. He's a good one!

OB, where'd you find this? We were early on Addi Russell. Really liked that kid. The Cubs are stockpiling young bats. If they grow up together they're going to look like the '95 Tribe. BTW, whatever happened to Slinger?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Rocky, I just did a search on the "Search This Forum" section above the threads on this site. Actually kind of funny b/c I was way high on him based on his video. I still really like him. It's kind of fun b/c I can make some relatively bold statements on players so viewing them 3-4 years later can be interesting.

Check this swing out...NASTY!!!! (hello Gary Sheffield???)
http://youtu.be/Q749u_BtZpQ?t=2m49s

I don't know about Slinger. It's been a while.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk