RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2010 draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2010 draft

Postby indians1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I was happy the indians spent alot of money in their draft, but the results thus far have been very underwhelming. They do have to be willing to go overslot to compete and they seem to be getting the message.

Drew Pomeranz has been very good, but guys like levon washington, alex lavisky have been extremely disappointing. Lavisky is a strikeout machine at lake county. Troy wolters is injured.

Other than pomeranz, they don't have somebody that excites you. I hope the indians do stay aggressive in the draft, but they do have to start hitting on some of these draft picks.

If you look at 2007 when they went over slot on quite a few guys with the extra money they got in the paul byrd deal, TJ house, trey haley, tim fedroff (he has been good this year and should be in AAA but is not an elite guy), Those first two guys are busts.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Re: 2010 draft

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:01 am

indians1 wrote:I was happy the indians spent alot of money in their draft, but the results thus far have been very underwhelming. They do have to be willing to go overslot to compete and they seem to be getting the message.

Drew Pomeranz has been very good, but guys like levon washington, alex lavisky have been extremely disappointing. Lavisky is a strikeout machine at lake county. Troy wolters is injured.

Other than pomeranz, they don't have somebody that excites you. I hope the indians do stay aggressive in the draft, but they do have to start hitting on some of these draft picks.

If you look at 2007 when they went over slot on quite a few guys with the extra money they got in the paul byrd deal, TJ house, trey haley, tim fedroff (he has been good this year and should be in AAA but is not an elite guy), Those first two guys are busts.

Hi Indians1, The players you talk about are from 2008 which I believe to be a very productive draft. You have Chis at 1, Phelps at 3, Putnam at 5 all about ready for the show. Cook at 9 has progressed very well and Stowell at 24 is on the DL but may have the best arm of all the relievers. Hopefully, some of these guys will turn out to be impact but we won't know until they take the last step in the majors.

Might be a little early to expect the young guys to impact in full season. Big jump from HS against older, more experienced prospects. Give them some time. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 am

Pomeranz, Holt, Goodnight have been the best on the field. Those also seemed to be the 3 players most people expected to do well early. Lavisky is a little disappointing I guess but not really surprising. Way too early to judge Washington.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby elrod enchilada » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:31 am

The moral of the story in 2010 seems to be this: stop taking mediocre deadweight like Cole Cook and Jordan Cooper, guys with almost no chance of being major league pitchers in the first ten rounds. We do not need system fodder any longer. Stop torching draft picks like John Mirabelli on a four-day Vegas coke bender. Draft high school bats and sign them. They may fail but they have actual upside. If the Tribe is going to be a consistently good team, for a generation, it will be through generating middle-of-the-order bats in the farm system on a regular basis. That means a commitment to HS bats, and patience.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 am

Hard to get on Lavisky. Kid is fresh out of high school and playing in Low-A. That's a huge jump, and the offensive struggles are expected. I think he has played almost exactly as expected. Showing good raw power, developing catching skills, and extraordinary leadership qualities. The plate discipline is surely a concern, but the Indians and myself included that to be an issue this year.

Also Washington is coming off of two significant injuries to his hammy and an offseason hip surgery. Is was his season is delayed, so that has surely affected him this season. Not an excuse, as injuries often can derail a season. Same with Wolters.

Hard to knock a draft one year later when two of the top players have had injury issues.....I think in time we will see. I agree that based purely on performance, it has underwhelmed greatly....but it was a draft more on upside than finished products which meant growing pains and likely less production in the early going.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:11 am

Quick side note.. what exactly is going on with Wolters? Thought he was expected back by now.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:19 am

A.Zajac wrote:Quick side note.. what exactly is going on with Wolters? Thought he was expected back by now.

Playing in extended....very likely going to MV now instead.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:18 pm

I am not at all dissaspointed in how Lavisky has done this year. You have to expect to see some struggles, but, what has been impressive is despite the huge jump in competition that he is seeing, and the expanded schedule..he isn't looking overwhelmed. As the season progresses I expect to see issues with fatigue, or lulls ,,,but also more production.

Next year, I expect to see a major jump and will begin to have a better feel for where is developmental timeline will be and how it will play out.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:43 pm

danh8 wrote:I am not at all dissaspointed in how Lavisky has done this year. You have to expect to see some struggles, but, what has been impressive is despite the huge jump in competition that he is seeing, and the expanded schedule..he isn't looking overwhelmed. As the season progresses I expect to see issues with fatigue, or lulls ,,,but also more production.

Next year, I expect to see a major jump and will begin to have a better feel for where is developmental timeline will be and how it will play out.

Agree 100% - I think he has done quite well considering coming straight from HS as a catcher. His power looks intriguing and if he can develop a little more plate discipline he could very easily be our #1 hitting ( or at least #1 power hitting) prospect next year.

I mean if there is anyone from the draft class to be concerned with it might be bartolone - kid was unheard of before the draft and given how he has played so far - I can see why.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
danh8 wrote:I am not at all dissaspointed in how Lavisky has done this year. You have to expect to see some struggles, but, what has been impressive is despite the huge jump in competition that he is seeing, and the expanded schedule..he isn't looking overwhelmed. As the season progresses I expect to see issues with fatigue, or lulls ,,,but also more production.

Agree 100% - I think he has done quite well considering coming straight from HS as a catcher. His power looks intriguing and if he can develop a little more plate discipline he could very easily be our #1 hitting ( or at least #1 power hitting) prospect next year.

I mean if there is anyone from the draft class to be concerned with it might be bartolone - kid was unheard of before the draft and given how he has played so far - I can see why.

And to think, I liked the look of Bartolone in ST. Sure hasn't shown up in the regular season so far.

Not sure why anyone would be upset with Laviskey so far. It is early and he has shown some power and decent catching skills. Hopefully, plate discipline and pitch recognition will come in time. I know it is heresy to suggest this to the Cleveland faithful but he might not be the best catching prospect in LC. Monsalve is younger and displays much of the same skills and is more advanced in hitting skills. Tony and I talked about him at ST because he really stood out in the LC/Kinston crowd. I don't think Tony will disagree that the power should come. He was named to the All Star team for a reason. As MT will attest, Monsalve was my first alternate position player in the recent top 20 exercise. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Any updates on Robbie Aviles?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby indians1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 pm

are you guys saying that lavisky needs to improve slightly with his plate discipline? There better be a huge jump in his performance next year.

I am tired of saying that " this guy just needs a little more experience" and that "he will develop more power as he gets older. "

Carlos rivero, abner abreu, and nick weglarz are proving that. Look at even lonnie chisehall. This guy has so much hype and yet he is at best a .800 OPS guy with a .350 OBP. You would think the way people talk about him that he was going to be a .300 hitter with 25 HR's.

He seems closer to a .260-.270 hitter with 15 HR's. That is not good enough in our market size. I am the biggest indians fan out there, and i applaud them for becoming more aggressive in the draft, but they need to make these picks count and start hitting on them. Just making it to the majors isn't good enough. We need them to be stars.

Tampa is reaping the rewards of it. Even though they lost all alot in the offseason, they got 10 picks in the first round with compensation picks included. I have heard critcism about it, but maybe if the indians learned a few things from them, they could do the same.

The cliff lee and victor martinez deals could have netted us 4 draft picks. Nick hagadone is no sure thing. He has potential, but again is no sure thing. Bryan Price is bryan price. Justin masterson has to become a good starter for that trade to be worth anything.

The cliff lee deal looks horrible at this point. Jason Knapp is going to be close to the same point that a new draftee would be had we kept cliff. carrasco, donald, and marson are very average players. If we had a good scouting department, we could have easily done better than what we got in those trades.

I think brad grant is light years ahead of mirabelli, but i worry that only shows how bad mirabelli was and not necessarily how good grant is. I hope i am wrong, I root for the indians more than any cleveland team and would love for them to win the first championship in cleveland.

That needs to start with better drafting on the mound as well as at the plate. They seem to be better with pomeranz and white, Now do the same with position players. .
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:46 pm

indians1 wrote:are you guys saying that lavisky needs to improve slightly with his plate discipline? There better be a huge jump in his performance next year.

I am tired of saying that " this guy just needs a little more experience" and that "he will develop more power as he gets older. "

Carlos rivero, abner abreu, and nick weglarz are proving that. Look at even lonnie chisehall. This guy has so much hype and yet he is at best a .800 OPS guy with a .350 OBP. You would think the way people talk about him that he was going to be a .300 hitter with 25 HR's.

He seems closer to a .260-.270 hitter with 15 HR's. That is not good enough in our market size. I am the biggest indians fan out there, and i applaud them for becoming more aggressive in the draft, but they need to make these picks count and start hitting on them. Just making it to the majors isn't good enough. We need them to be stars.

Tampa is reaping the rewards of it. Even though they lost all alot in the offseason, they got 10 picks in the first round with compensation picks included. I have heard critcism about it, but maybe if the indians learned a few things from them, they could do the same.

The cliff lee and victor martinez deals could have netted us 4 draft picks. Nick hagadone is no sure thing. He has potential, but again is no sure thing. Bryan Price is bryan price. Justin masterson has to become a good starter for that trade to be worth anything.

The cliff lee deal looks horrible at this point. Jason Knapp is going to be close to the same point that a new draftee would be had we kept cliff. carrasco, donald, and marson are very average players. If we had a good scouting department, we could have easily done better than what we got in those trades.

I think brad grant is light years ahead of mirabelli, but i worry that only shows how bad mirabelli was and not necessarily how good grant is. I hope i am wrong, I root for the indians more than any cleveland team and would love for them to win the first championship in cleveland.

That needs to start with better drafting on the mound as well as at the plate. They seem to be better with pomeranz and white, Now do the same with position players. .

I am sorry getting 3 average MLB players it never a horrid deal, its a different area and you don't get the top prospects for players. I am not sure there was more to get Draebk and Brown who were the top prospects have both failed to impress.

Also I love how this big indians fans want to give up on a player after a month, because other players sucked. Its freaking baseball if I thought one fan base would understand patience it would be baseball, give these kids a chance. I mean baseball and prospects are a huge failure situation, even can't miss players miss, before we right off guys for dead maybe we should give them a chance or see why it is that so many people like them in the first place.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 am

Hey Tony, are you sure indians1 isn't Dennis with a different Name?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk