RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

IPI 2011 Mock Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: IPI 2011 Mock Draft

Postby Rocky55 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

jellis wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:With the 16th pk the Los Angeles Dodgers select...
John Stilson-RHP Tx A&M. This is a pk that's likely not going above slot. Picking Stilson here does that, he'd probably sign for slot. Stilson can reach 99 with his fb has served as a reliever in the past and could be in the Dodgers pen rather qkly or developed as a starter will continue to be a work in progress.

might want a repick, Stilson has a torn labrum and with his previous medical issues he might not be drafted at all this year

Agree Home should get a repick, the injury happened before the draft so Stilson wouldn't even be a consideration for that slot.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sun May 29, 2011 10:24 am

Rocky55 wrote:With the 18th pick, the RSux select Blake Swihart, catcher, Cleveland HS, New Mexico. He's going to be expensive to pry away from U of Texas, but the Sux can afford it. Incredible bat, premium position, tons of upside.

Colorado is on the clock.

19th pick Rocky. :biggrin:
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun May 29, 2011 10:33 am

So, after the Swihart Pick by Rocky in the 19th spot (rocky's posting indicated the 18th pick, just a minor error, nothing to get your panties in a bunch about), Jellis is on the clock picking for the Rockies in the 20th spot..

20. Colorado Rockies (Jellis)
21. Toronto Blue Jays (Andrew)
22. St. Louis Cardinals (Geronimo)
23. Washington Nationals (Rocky)
24. Tampa Bay Rays (Andrew)
25. San Diego Padres (Geromino)
26. Boston Red Sox (Rocky)
27. Cincinnati Reds (Jellis)
28. Atlanta Braves (Geronimo)
29. San Francisco Giants (Rocky)
30. Minnesota Twins (Jellis)
31. Tampa Rays (Andrew)
32. Tampa Rays (Home)
33. Texas Rangers (Jellis)

Lots of good arms still available..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:43 am

A.Zajac wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:With the 18th pick, the RSux select Blake Swihart, catcher, Cleveland HS, New Mexico. He's going to be expensive to pry away from U of Texas, but the Sux can afford it. Incredible bat, premium position, tons of upside.

Colorado is on the clock.

19th pick Rocky. :biggrin:

Duh. :fool:

Edit to add: Really WAAAAY too much beer last night. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Since the consesus is the 16th pk to the Dodgers should be a re-pick.

The Los Angeles Dodgers select...
Andrew Susac - C Org. St. Susac is great defensive catcher, and decent bat. He should be a qk mover and sign for slot type money. Catcher isn't a deep position in this draft but Susac could offer a quick return and easy signing for the financially distress team. Catcher is a premier position and a great value pk. :dirol:
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Sun May 29, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun May 29, 2011 3:02 pm

daingean wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Stilson is a guy that a team will take a flier on like the tribe did Aviles. A guy that can throw 99 is worth it IMO. Obviously Stilson falls now maybe a middle rd pk. Knapp has also had a torn labrum, came back throwing just as hard. Stilson would at least get a look as a closer. Injuries are the nature of the game. Aviles went in the 7th rd last yr with the need for TJ after injuring his elbow days before the draft. He was potentially a first rd pk until than.

Maybe someone will take him. I just stay away from a guy with shoulder injuries unless he is really cheap. Aviles was TJ surgery where pitchers come back from. Shoulders are a different story though especially the labrum.

Shoulder injuries scare teams, guys with a history of them make teams back away, add om that this more than likely makes him a reliever, and a very good chance teams pass on him, until he can prove he can stay healthy, because he won't be a cheap sign
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun May 29, 2011 3:05 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Since the consesus is the 17th pk to the Dodgers should be a re-pick.

The Los Angeles Dodgers select...
Andrew Susac - C Org. St. Susac is great defensive catcher, and decent bat. He should be a qk mover and sign for slot type money. Catcher isn't a deep position in this draft but Susac could offer a quick return and easy signing for the financially distress team. Catcher is a premier position and a great value pk. :dirol:

I don't know about an easy sign he is only a sophomore which have more leverage and tend to cost more
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun May 29, 2011 3:09 pm

the Rockies take Javier Baez SS Jesuit Prep

Baez has a lot of power in his bat, and has been linked as high to the Indians at 8th. He will take some work, and there are concerns about attitude, but the swing is very good and the power is legit. He will move to 3B and has the ability to hit for plus power, which means HR leading potential in Colorado
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Thought I read he was 22yrs old already... must have been another guy. Nonetheless Susac was picked higher than projected by many and that should be above what he would have gotten otherwise.

Must be getting some guys confused, cramming for the exam, I mean the draft. :wacko:
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sun May 29, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm really torn between two players for the Jays.. one is a bit of a risky pick and the other is a safe pick. The Jays are pretty much in full rebuild mode and need as much help as they can get. But, this draft we're doing BPA. Ah, decisions, decisions....
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 30, 2011 6:57 am

I considered both bpa and team circumstance when I pk. Teams rebuilding typically try to go safe, yet if a player is considered a bit of a risk but equal or higher floor upside I'd also consider does this team spend or in a position to spend. Personally I'd say the Jays would spend. With the depth of this draft though a team could also consider that extra on one guy might mean missing another upper tier guy.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 am

jellis wrote:the Rockies take Javier Baez SS Jesuit Prep

Baez has a lot of power in his bat, and has been linked as high to the Indians at 8th. He will take some work, and there are concerns about attitude, but the swing is very good and the power is legit. He will move to 3B and has the ability to hit for plus power, which means HR leading potential in Colorado

Heck, Callis has him going 7th to the D'backs
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Can't see Dbax going prep player at 7 unprotected pk comp pk for Loux. Possibly at 3 though. 7 is likely to be a safe pk.
Goes to show how much upside teams and execs have for Baez including the tribe, who have been linked to him as well.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Can't see Dbax going prep player at 7 unprotected pk comp pk for Loux. Possibly at 3 though. 7 is likely to be a safe pk.
Goes to show how much upside teams and execs have for Baez including the tribe, who have been linked to him as well.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 30, 2011 4:18 pm

It's 25 hours 9 minutes since the last pick.. Andrew is still on the clock...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon May 30, 2011 5:38 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:It's 25 hours 9 minutes since the last pick.. Andrew is still on the clock...

I'm the Baltimore Ravens of this draft.. :drinks:

The Blue Jays select . . .
Josh Bell, OF, Dallas Jesuit High School
This was one of the most difficult decisions to make. If Jose Fernandez was on the board, I would have pulled the trigger and would have left Bell on the board. Bell recently sent a letter to teams not to select him because he won't sign. However, Bell is a Boras client and if the right amount of money is thrown his way, I believe he'll sign. The Blue Jays are in a position where they need to take the best players available and they're going to be willing to spend the money. Bell is one of the better high school hitters in the draft who projects as a LF at the next level and has an explosive bat. It's a risky pick for the Jays who need a lot of help, but the potential reward outweighs the risk.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 30, 2011 8:55 pm

With the 22nd pick in the IPI Mock Draft, the St Louis Cardinals select:

Matt Barnes, RHP, UConn
Matt Barnes has been comp'd to such luminaries as John Smoltz. Barnes is a strapping 6'4" with plenty of frame to add extra weight to his already plus 200 pounds. He throws two varieties of fastballs: a mid 90's four seam fastball that increases velocity as the game wears on and a two seam fastball that sits at 89-90 that has tailing action. The pitch is nearly un-hittable. His secondary pitches include a nasty curve ball that has 11-7 break. Some believe it is Barnes’ best pitch as he uses it at any time. It's a wipe out pitch. Barnes third pitch is a mediocre change up that will need a lot of work to make him a viable FOR/MOR starting pitcher at the next level. With Dave Duncan & the Cardinals minor league coaching system, the mechanics of Barnes' delivery should become much more repeatable, something he needs. This kid is a horse. The Cardinals are thrilled to acquire him at this point in the draft..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Rocky and the Washington Nationals are on the clock. Here are the final 11 picks to go:

23. Washington Nationals (Rocky)
24. Tampa Bay Rays (Andrew)
25. San Diego Padres (Geromino)
31. Tampa Rays (Andrew)
32. Tampa Rays (Home)
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Mon May 30, 2011 9:00 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:With the 22nd pick in the IPI Mock Draft, the St Louis Cardinals select:

Matt Barnes, RHP, UConn
Matt Barnes has been comp'd to such luminaries as John Smoltz. Barnes is a strapping 6'4" with plenty of frame to add extra weight to his already plus 200 pounds. He throws two varieties of fastballs: a mid 90's four seam fastball that increases velocity as the game wears on and a two seam fastball that sits at 89-90 that has tailing action. The pitch is nearly un-hittable. His secondary pitches include a nasty curve ball that has 11-7 break. Some believe it is Barnes’ best pitch as he uses it at any time. It's a wipe out pitch. Barnes third pitch is a mediocre change up that will need a lot of work to make him a viable FOR/MOR starting pitcher at the next level. With Dave Duncan & the Cardinals minor league coaching system, the mechanics of Barnes' delivery should become much more repeatable, something he needs. This kid is a horse. The Cardinals are thrilled to acquire him at this point in the draft..

Try again, he was already picked at 15 by the Brew Crew.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 pm

ooops...well. the verbosity about Barnes can be used if deemed appropriate..

With the 22nd re-pick the Cardinals:

Matt Purke, LHP, TCU.
Concerns about his health have to be considered, but so does the talent. The bad news, Matt Purke, has bursitis. The good news, the Cardinals see him as a mitigatable risk/highest reward player on the board. Healthy, he is the best player on the board and certainly worthy of this pick. His combination of 94 mph fastball slider and change from the left side.. is pretty impressive. The Cardinals are not averse to working through any issues, including tough negotiations in signing draft picks.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 am

With the 23rd pick the Nats select: Brandon Nimmo, OF, Cheyenne East HS, Wyoming.

Huge talent with present playing skills and the upside to be Mike Trout 2.0. This was a tough one for the Nats as they had 6 guys on their list for this pick.

The Tampa Bay Rays are on the clock.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 am

Time for another summary and listing of the last ten picks:

1. Gerrit Cole P
2. Trevor Bauer P
3. Anthony Rendon 3B
4. Danny Hultzen P
5. Alex Meyer P
6. Jed Bradley P
7. Dylan Bundy P
8. Bubba Starling OF
9. Francisco Lindor SS
10. George Springer OF
11. Taylor Jungmann P
12. Archie Bradley P
13. Taylor Guerrieri P
14. Mikie Mahtook OF
15. Matt Barnes P
16. Andy Susac C
17. Jose Fernandez P
18. Sonny Gray P
19. Blake Swihart C
20. Javier Baez SS
21. Josh Bell OF
22. Matt Purke P
23. Brandon Nimmo OF

24. Tampa Bay Rays (Andrew)...on the clock
25. San Diego Padres (Geronimo)
31. Tampa Rays (Andrew)
32. Tampa Rays (Home)

The Breakdown, so far is: 13 Pitchers, 5 OF'ers. 2 SS's, 2 C's, and 1 3B. The college versus high school break down is about even (12 versus 11). With ten picks to go, there are still a LOT of high ceiling guys still available for the taking. IF this draft were to come about the way it's listed or even if it doesn't, the Rays are still going to fill up any talent deficiencies in their system.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Time for another summary and listing of the last ten picks:

1. Gerrit Cole P
2. Trevor Bauer P
3. Anthony Rendon 3B
4. Danny Hultzen P
5. Alex Meyer P
6. Jed Bradley P
7. Dylan Bundy P
8. Bubba Starling OF
9. Francisco Lindor SS
10. George Springer OF
11. Taylor Jungmann P
12. Archie Bradley P
13. Taylor Guerrieri P
14. Mikie Mahtook OF
15. Matt Barnes P
16. Andy Susac C
17. Jose Fernandez P
18. Sonny Gray P
19. Blake Swihart C
20. Javier Baez SS
21. Josh Bell OF
22. Matt Purke P
23. Brandon Nimmo OF

24. Tampa Bay Rays (Andrew)...on the clock
25. San Diego Padres (Geronimo)
31. Tampa Rays (Andrew)
32. Tampa Rays (Home)

The Breakdown, so far is: 13 Pitchers, 5 OF'ers. 2 SS's, 2 C's, and 1 3B. The college versus high school break down is about even (12 versus 11). With ten picks to go, there are still a LOT of high ceiling guys still available for the taking. IF this draft were to come about the way it's listed or even if it doesn't, the Rays are still going to fill up any talent deficiencies in their system.

btw thanks for this makes it so much easier
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Annndrew, where are you???? :clapping:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Annndrew, where are you???? :clapping:

Two doctors appointments today and cut grass. Give me a half hour and I'll get my pick in.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue May 31, 2011 7:12 pm

The Rays select . . .

C.J. Cron, 1B, Utah
The Rays have a number of different ways they can go, with a number of different high draft picks at their disposal. At least one of those picks will be what some to be consider a risky pick, but with this one, it's more of a safe pick. Cron possesses good, raw power who has the potential to hit 30 homeruns a season. There are some injury concerns that come with Cron, but I'm willing to bet the Rays will overlook them if Cron falls into their lap. Another possibility here includes Kolten Wong.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 31, 2011 7:38 pm

With the 25th pick in the 2011 MLB Rule IV Draft, the San Diego Padres select

Henry Owens, LHP, Edison High School Huntington Beach California

Henry Owens is Beach Bum West Coaster who will take his tall and lanky left-handed frame ( 6’7? and 200 lbs), and a high-80?s to low-90?s fastball, a very serviceable change up & a wipe out curveball to the Padres organization. Owens is committed to the University of Miami, but that can change knowing he'll be home on the west coast to start his ML career. With good professional coaching and added weight and muscle, Owens effortless delivery should help him maintain a repeatable delivery and add about four or five ticks to his already strong fastball.
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Tue May 31, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue May 31, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm not big into amateur baseball, so I had to look CJ Cron up... sure enough, he's the son of the immortal Chris Cron, who once managed to sneak in a few hitless at-bats as The Big Hurt's backup before he faded out of baseball. My encyclopedic knowledge of lousy baseball players from the '80s & '90s is probably something I should keep to myself.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue May 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:I'm not big into amateur baseball, so I had to look CJ Cron up... sure enough, he's the son of the immortal Chris Cron, who once managed to sneak in a few hitless at-bats as The Big Hurt's backup before he faded out of baseball. My encyclopedic knowledge of lousy baseball players from the '80s & '90s is probably something I should keep to myself.

The same thought crossed my mind as well. Thanks for looking it up.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:15 pm

With the 26th pick the Rsux select: Kyle Crick, RHP, Sherman HS, Texas.

Crick is a big, hard throwing RHP (up to 95) who also has kick ass slider. He has pitched 5 games of one or less hits allowed this year. I've read that the Sux have people watching every start. He's got major helium and should be picked right about here. This is usually a place where the Sux would grab some high profile college SP who had dropped due to signability. However, my astutue fellow mockers have left the cupboard empty except for Anderson, who I don't like.

The Cincinnati Reds are on the clock.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:I'm not big into amateur baseball, so I had to look CJ Cron up... sure enough, he's the son of the immortal Chris Cron, who once managed to sneak in a few hitless at-bats as The Big Hurt's backup before he faded out of baseball. My encyclopedic knowledge of lousy baseball players from the '80s & '90s is probably something I should keep to myself.

CJ has a younger brother named Kevin who plays HS ball in AZ, who's even bigger than CJ. Kevin should be drafted early this year too.

I think Chris does something in the tigers org now.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 pm

reds take
Cory Spangenberg OF
I am a big fan, he could be the ideal CF and lead off guy. He is one of the fast players in the draft and has excellent bat speed. He played SS is college but teams project him at 3B or OF, either way he is a very interesting bat for this late who bat and speed both project as plus tools. As a bonus cincy is a team that tends to go slot and take college guys, both of which this pick fills.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 am

jellis wrote:reds take
Cory Spangenberg OF
I am a big fan, he could be the ideal CF and lead off guy. He is one of the fast players in the draft and has excellent bat speed. He played SS is college but teams project him at 3B or OF, either way he is a very interesting bat for this late who bat and speed both project as plus tools. As a bonus cincy is a team that tends to go slot and take college guys, both of which this pick fills.

I think this is an excellent pick for the Reds. Other than foot speed Spangenberg reminds me of Chiz.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:34 am

With the 28th pick, the Atlanta Braves select:

Travis Harrison 3B/OF, Tustin HS (CA)
In this year's draft, he is "The Natural". At 6’2" and 215 lbs, he is fully grown, very strong and athletic. He has excellent speed, is fundamentally sound and possesses maturity beyond his years. While he may not start his baseball career as the most dangerous hitter coming out as a draft eligible high schooler, Harrison might eventually become the most offensively-gifted player in this high school class & that includes thee hot prospect, Derek Bubba Starling. He has an advanced approach at the plate with tremendous bat speed. In the field, he has soft/quick hands (ala Omar Vizquel), exceptionally quick feet and a howitzer-like arm that comes with a laser guidance system. He just makes everything on the field look easy.. because it is, for him.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:50 am

With the 29th pick the SF Giants select: Kolten Wong, 2B, U of Hawaii.

Really like this kid. Gifted player, good fielder at 2B, excellent base runner, advanced hitting approach, should fly through the minor leagues. Was MVP in the Cape Cod League, .341-3-11, 22SB. Would be a great table setter for the Giants. Perfect fit.

The Minnesota Twins are on the clock.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

So very weird draft for me, 3 of 4 picks have been bats, in what is the super deep pitching draft
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:39 pm

jellis wrote:So very weird draft for me, 3 of 4 picks have been bats, in what is the super deep pitching draft

So pick a pitcher with your next pick.. Danny Norris..Josh Osrich.. several available.. and good too...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:44 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
jellis wrote:So very weird draft for me, 3 of 4 picks have been bats, in what is the super deep pitching draft

So pick a pitcher with your next pick.. Danny Norris..Josh Osrich.. several available.. and good too...

I am sticking with my board, just think if teams concentrate on pitching bats are going to be there for many teams. I honestly feel ever pick I have made is a guy who has no chance of being there in real life
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

My final tally is 2 HS RHP's, 1 Col OF, 1 HS OF, 1 HS C, & 1 Col 2B. I'm really happy with this haul. Any draft that you get Mahtook is a good draft. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:51 pm

SO I was telling Tony about this not sure if it will be a column or not, but I took the top 5 cy young finishers in both leagues for the past decade and used a graduated point system. I then reference where these players came from, and while by volume HS players where the majority of the players by a ok margin not huge or small, the interesting fact is that the cream of the crop is pretty solidly actually college arms. So the true high upside arms of the last decade have been college arms, so before anyone talks about the expensive high upside high school arm your actually get a worse investment taking them in round 1, as in that decade only 5 first rounders were top 5 finishes, most were later. Just some fun fuel for the fire.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 pm

jellis wrote:SO I was telling Tony about this not sure if it will be a column or not, but I took the top 5 cy young finishers in both leagues for the past decade and used a graduated point system. I then reference where these players came from, and while by volume HS players where the majority of the players by a ok margin not huge or small, the interesting fact is that the cream of the crop is pretty solidly actually college arms. So the true high upside arms of the last decade have been college arms, so before anyone talks about the expensive high upside high school arm your actually get a worse investment taking them in round 1, as in that decade only 5 first rounders were top 5 finishes, most were later. Just some fun fuel for the fire.

We know that Adam Miller would have at least 2 CYA's by now if not injured. He was a pick out of HS...did you count him?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 pm

On a related note, how many of the college guys were also drafted out of HS?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
jellis wrote:SO I was telling Tony about this not sure if it will be a column or not, but I took the top 5 cy young finishers in both leagues for the past decade and used a graduated point system. I then reference where these players came from, and while by volume HS players where the majority of the players by a ok margin not huge or small, the interesting fact is that the cream of the crop is pretty solidly actually college arms. So the true high upside arms of the last decade have been college arms, so before anyone talks about the expensive high upside high school arm your actually get a worse investment taking them in round 1, as in that decade only 5 first rounders were top 5 finishes, most were later. Just some fun fuel for the fire.

We know that Adam Miller would have at least 2 CYA's by now if not injured. He was a pick out of HS...did you count him?

if frogs had wings they wouldnt bump there ass when they hoped, Miller right now is a failed pick injuries suck but you can't take a mulligan because of them.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Rocky55 wrote:On a related note, how many of the college guys were also drafted out of HS?

Even if they were, the point is that bonus babies dont seem to pay off when you look at the data. You look at first round HS and the money doesnt equal the over all results
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 pm

jellis wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:On a related note, how many of the college guys were also drafted out of HS?

Even if they were, the point is that bonus babies dont seem to pay off when you look at the data. You look at first round HS and the money doesnt equal the over all results

Not sure how in-depth you went, but something to also consider is non-American pitchers who didn't go to high school/college in the U.S.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:

Not sure how in-depth you went, but something to also consider is non-American pitchers who didn't go to high school/college in the U.S.

Included, they were the least in the 10 years in appearances,but had a higher average so higher finish rate then HS guys but less then college guys, so actually hit on the least but had mid level upside for upper crust pitching
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:45 pm

What pick are we on...I think 28 or 29 right?
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 pm

TonyIPI wrote:What pick are we on...I think 28 or 29 right?
I D K, but if I were guessing, I'd say Andrew is on the clock..he only has 7 hours to break his record of 29 hours to make a mock draft pick.... :shok:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:What pick are we on...I think 28 or 29 right?
I D K, but if I were guessing, I'd say Andrew is on the clock..he only has 7 hours to break his record of 29 hours to make a mock draft pick.... :shok:
I just checked.. pick number 30 is on the clock..that would be jellis.. so I apologize to Andrew.. his original record still stands...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Twins take Joe Ross RHP Bishop O'Dowd High school

It seems that little brothers are often better than there older brothers, and such is the case with Ross, younger brother of A's rookie Tyson Ross. This is high praise as Tyson was a top 5 spec for Oakland this year. Joe has 3 nice looking pitches, and great athleticism that runs in the family. He throws mid 90's and could be a front of the line pitcher.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk