RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

IPI 2011 Mock Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

IPI 2011 Mock Draft

Postby TonyIBI » Wed May 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Ok, Andrew is on the clock. let's just go ahead and get this thing started. When your pick is up just make it whenever you can...no rush. Only rule when making the pick is take who you would take there and don't look at team need (BPA philosophy). Also, just provide a 2-3 sentence reply to the pick explaining why you made it.

Other board members and those participating in the draft are encouraged to provide feedback on the selections.

Here is the order:

1. Pittsburgh Pirates (Andrew)
2. Seattle Mariners (Home)
3. Arizona Diamondbacks (Jellis)
4. Baltimore Orioles (Geronimo)
5. Kansas City Royals (Home)
6. Washington Nationals (Andrew)
7. Arizona Diamondbacks (Rocky)
8. Cleveland Indians (Geronimo)
9. Chicago Cubs (Jellis)
10. San Diego Padres (Home)
11. Houston Astros (Andrew)
12. Milwaukee Brewers (Home)
13. New York Mets (Andrew)
14. Florida Marlins (Rocky)
15. Milwaukee Brewers (Jellis)
16. Los Angeles Dodgers (Home)
17. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Home)
18. Oakland A's (Geromino)
19. Boston Red Sox (Rocky)
20. Colorado Rockies (Jellis)
21. Toronto Blue Jays (Andrew)
22. St. Louis Cardinals (Geronimo)
23. Washington Nationals (Rocky)
24. Tampa Bay Rays (Andrew)
25. San Diego Padres (Geromino)
26. Boston Red Sox (Rocky)
27. Cincinnati Reds (Jellis)
28. Atlanta Braves (Geronimo)
29. San Francisco Giants (Rocky)
30. Minnesota Twins (Jellis)
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: IPI 2011 Mock Draft

Postby A.Zajac » Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 am

The pirates select . . .

Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA
There is no clear front runner to go first overall and the Pirates are still going back and forth on this pick to this day. You could make a very strong case for Anthony Rendon here and it's also a very realistic possibility, but Cole is a little more safer of a pick. He has a big arm and front of the rotation potential. Cole and Tallion could anchor the front of the Pirates rotation for years to come.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 11:17 am

Safe and risky at the same time.. but he's the best available player and the Pirates are moving toward having one of the youngest and strongest rotations that they've ever had.. their prospects just have to come through..

BTW.. While it's difficult not to be at least somewhat concerned, the purpose of this draft is to see who "we" think are the best prospects, not who is going to be correct when the actual draft occurs starting on June 6th. :pleasantry:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

TREVOR BAUER RHP UCLA. The Ms farm system is lacking depth Hultzen and Rendon are tempting but Bauer is a polished likeness of Tim Linccecum. Bauer should move through the system qkly and combined with Felix and Pineda for a dominate pitching staff in Seattle.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 1:26 pm

UCLA Bruin fans would be proud papas with these two picks.. damn.. I love the pick.. The M's are going to have an incredible pitching staff.. but, it won't include Felix, I'm afraid. Two/three years and he's outta there...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Bauer surprises me some but he's been missing bats all year & that's the main thing. You must like the now because there isn't much upside. Pretty good safe pick though & pretty much a guaranteed ML pitcher.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Bauer should be at worst a 3, maybe a one not an ace but this pk is a quick mover, he should move along qkly. I wasn't convinced Rendon was more than a 2b and the injuries were too much. Really like Bundy but was concerned he would cost too much in a deep draft same with Starling. Hultzen was a consideration but I felt Bauer offered more and his likely quick movement made the choice easier. I expect to see an Alex White like acension to the majors.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Bauer should be at worst a 3, maybe a one not an ace but this pk is a quick mover, he should move along qkly. I wasn't convinced Rendon was more than a 2b and the injuries were too much. Really like Bundy but was concerned he would cost too much in a deep draft same with Starling. Hultzen was a consideration but I felt Bauer offered more and his likely quick movement made the choice easier. I expect to see an Alex White like acension to the majors.
I saw at least two Twitter 'tweets' that have Rendon taking ground balls and starting at second base for the Rice Owls today.. so, yeah, the little fella is looking more and more like a studly second baseman, not the next coming of Evan Longoria or Ryan Zimmerman, some of the comps that have been suggested...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Thu May 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Zona- Rendon 3B
Last year teams said they would take him over Harper. He had a down year and got hurt, and now he slides a bit. Zona would consider Hultzen, in normal circumstances, but if your taking BPA Rendon is impossible to pass on. He should be an all star right away once he hits the majors.
Last edited by jellis on Thu May 26, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Thats a solid pk for the Dbax. I believe he can be all star just cant see him at third. Maybe he will, but the injuries and size are against him IMO. I would say he could have UGGLA like production as an offensive player, IF he can stay healthy, he just seems nicked up all the time (ankles and shldr).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I can almost hear Gomer Pyle screaming SHAAZAAAAAAAAAAAM!.. The Orioles, still with the stain and pain of the Matt Hobgood experience (2009) can't believe their good fortune to find thee best pitcher in college available to them at the # 4 pick:

Danny Hultzen, LHP Virginia.

Hultzen's dominating performance in 2011 is a continuation of his career at UVa. He has great stuff! Hultzen has a fastball that sits in the mid-90?s, a deceptive changeup that batters haven't been able to figured out, and both a slider & curveball. Put this stuff together with great command of all four pitches and a mature mound presence, & the O's have a perfect compliment to their young and talent pitching rotation. Hultzen won't spend much time in the minors. He has a baseball IQ that rivals just about any player that is draft eligible.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm

With the fifth pk in the IPI 2011 Mock Draft the Kansas City Royals select... RHP from the university of Kentucky...Alex Meyer. The Royals are tempted by Dylan Bundy but want an arm that can impact the starting rotation soon, Bundy could be a quick mover but his salary demands shy the Royals away. Meyer has been a force in recent starts and features a 100 MPH fastball. Meyer has great size at 6'9 220 and should continue to develop qkly, Meyer had mononuc. last yr but has fully recovered and is a prospect on the rise.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Did Kentucky move to the MAC?.. just kidding.. Good upside for this man-child. If he can't start in the ML's, he'll sure as hell make one imposing back of the pen guy. It was reported that he's already turned down huge dollars from the Red Sox.. they wanted him BAD!!.
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Fri May 27, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Theres something about Hultzen, im just not a fan... everything looks good fb, etc but I just don't like something about him. Personally I believe he goes one to Pittsburgh but never know.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Hultzen just isn't that physically imposing behemoth stud fire balling southpaw.. He just gets outs. His control and poise on the bump say he's in command. He has genuine athleticism for a pitcher, so his delivery/mechanics should be repeatable and sound.. There's a lot to like about the kid...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Recap through five picks:

1. Pirates: Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA
2. Mariners: Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA
3. Diamondbacks: Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice
4. Orioles: Danny Hultzen, LHP, U of Virginia
5. Royals: Alex Meyer, RHP, U of Kentucky
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 27, 2011 9:31 am

Through the first five picks.. all college kids.. not a coincidence when considering the kind of bonuses these players are going to command. There are some 'prepsters' that are incredibly talented.. but no GM wants to shell out a seven figure bonus to a kid who wants to play Halo, not play with the Halos...shrugs..

The prep kids that are soon to be coming off the lists are the two Oklahoma pitchers, Mr Everything in Kansas, and then, perhaps, to the toolsy guy, Lindor, who is no Derek Jeter. :wink:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:04 am

The Washington Nationals are on the clock. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 pm

My apologies for the delay, as well as no ATF last night. Been brutally sick the past two days. I will try to get my pick in for the Nats by tonight!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri May 27, 2011 10:22 pm

The Nationals select . . .

Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech
Bradley is a guy who can get to the majors rather quick and be a work horse in the rotation. Some teams might be slightly scared away because of bonus demands, but I don't see too much of a concern, personally. He projects as a #2/#3 starter with the Nats.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 pm

A.Zajac wrote:The Nationals select . . .

Bradley is a guy who can get to the majors rather quick and be a work horse in the rotation. Some teams might be slightly scared away because of bonus demands, but I don't see too much of a concern, personally. He projects as a #2/#3 starter with the Nats.

first pick I find interesting, he has been really bad of late and seems to be dive bombing in terms of his stock
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Cue Commish Selig:

"With the uh, seventh pick, of the 2011 Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft, the Arizona Diamondbacks select:

Dylan Bundy, righthanded pitcher, Owasso High School in Oklahoma."

"The Cleveland Indians are on the clock."

And with that, thanks to jellis & me, the Dbacks get the best position player prospect & the best pitching prospect in the entire draft. I expect the Dbacks FO to be contacting us with job offers tomorrow. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 12:27 am

Cant see Bundy going 7 myself. That pks unprotected, Bundy would really have leverage on them then. It is possible and Bundy is one of about 4 arms who I consider to have true ACE potential (ABradley, Fernandez, Cole). Thats a great pk though if it happens.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 am

And now the Indians are on the clock.. Looking at the players available, it's a "hands down, no contest" decision. With the eighth pick in the IPI Mock Draft, the Indians select:

Bubba Starling, OF, Gardner Edgerton HS (KS): While concerns exist over his signability, he is arguably the best player and top position player in this entire draft, and that includes young & newly converted 2B Anthony Rendon. There is nothing he can't do on the baseball field. His combination of speed, power, arm strength, bat to ball skills cannot be overlooked. His commitment to play football at Nebraska will drive his price tag up, but, who cares, he's the goods and will look great with Chief Wahoo on his sleeve.

This is a deep draft with respect to pitching, so adding addition upside arms in the later rounds shouldn't be a problem. Having an opportunity to add a stud like Starling is a rare and beautiful thing. The Indians have a young man who may patrol the lush green environs at the corner of Ontario & Carnegie for years to come..

FWIW: Only Hultzen (1), Cole (2), Bundy(3), Rendon(4) & Bauer(5), in that order, were higher on my list than Starling(6). Archie Bradley(7) was next followed by Jungman(8), Gray(9) and Purke(10) to round out my top ten.

The Chicago Cubs (Jellis) are on the clock..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 7:31 am

Great pk up :dirol: by the Tribe he is a high high upside guy, not with star potential but superstar potential. This draft is absolutely loaded with studs, most of which are from the high school ranks. Dylan Bundy, Archie Bradley, Derek Bubba Starling, Jose Fernandez, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, Blake Swihart, Josh Bell and Taylor Guerriri to name a few then theres a second level of studs like Robert Stephenson, Tyler Beede, Nick Delmonico, Henry Owens, Travis Harrison.

With the depth that this org has, it can both maintain and gamble on a player like Derek Starling. Bubba is an allstar in waiting and while would cost a high price this system is loaded 31 of the top 50 in Tony's book are pitchers. So don't be shocked to see a position player(s) taken. The Tribe can utilize the bats and this could be the premier farm system in the minors IF the Tribe goes after high upside bats.

It's refreshing to see such depth in the minor league system that there are log jams galore for the Tribe just a few yrs back it wasn't so, the depth and farm system overall has been rebuilt rather quickly yet the pieces of the future are lacking in org. positional players. This is not the case with the pitching staff. The great aspect is pitching always sells high, like GOLD pitching has value.

Starling is a stud. He will likely cost 5 million plus, and in a draft this deep really that equates to 2 top tier quality players or does it? With such depth in this org. only signing 16-20 players could be idea. As long as these guys are some prime players and several UDFA wouldnt hurt to line the system. Starling is a great talent and will likely progress rather quickly through any org.

Great pick up in round 1. Curious who Brad Grant (GERONIMO SON) would consider rd 2. ??? If the tribe were to go high schooler this would be the yr. There is depth of first round talents well into round 2-3 even. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some gambles high by some teams and then go a bit safer later. The tribe stragedy in reverse order.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Sat May 28, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat May 28, 2011 10:44 am

jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:The Nationals select . . .

first pick I find interesting, he has been really bad of late and seems to be dive bombing in terms of his stock

The other potential player there was Matt Barnes.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 am

Cubs selected Fransisco Lindor

He is a try SS, and that is a value position. Unlike many other SS he won't have to move off the position. The cubs need to add long term value and at this point they get the top SS and the top position player still in this draft.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 12:36 pm

With the 10th pk in the 2011 IPI mock draft the San Diego Padres select George Springer- OF UConn.
Springer is a true 5 tool guy has struggled but also recovered and adapted. Springer should move qkly and be a nice add to the outfield in 2-3 yrs. He's a good upside, good return type pk. He should move qkly through the system with his tools and good polish.
I consider Matt Barnes, Andrew Susac but felt Springer was too good to pass, was once a candidate for a top 3 pk that's how talented this guy is. I really liked Barnes here but the draft is deep in pitching and lacks hitters like Springer. Springer is a good toolsy OF who could be an AllStar at some point. Taylor Jungmann and possibly a guy like John Stilson could slip into this pk. This is a comp pk. But the padres should be able to sign Springer so that's not the concern.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 pm

The Astros select . . .

Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Texas
Jungmann is a workhorse and has arguably been one of the best collegiate pitchers all season. The Astros really could go either way for a pitcher, whether it be a collegiate pitcher or high school pitcher. However, a Texas kid who could rise through the ranks quickly might just be too hard to pass up. Jungmann possesses good to great velocity on his fastball and also has two secondary pitches which he's polished this season. The other possibilities with this pick could be Matt Barnes or Taylor Guerrieri.
Last edited by A.Zajac on Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 pm

A.Zajac wrote:The Astros select . . .

Jungmann is a workhorse and has arguably been one of the best collegiate pitchers all season. The Cubs dealt one of their best prospects in the off-season (Chris Archer), so I would expect the Cubs to go for a near sure thing in the draft. Jungmann possesses good to great velocity on his fastball and also has two secondary pitches which he's polished this season. The other possibility with this pick could be Matt Barnes.

\
confused, its the stros pick but you keep mentioning the cubs
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat May 28, 2011 1:08 pm

jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:The Astros select . . .

Jungmann is a workhorse and has arguably been one of the best collegiate pitchers all season. The Cubs dealt one of their best prospects in the off-season (Chris Archer), so I would expect the Cubs to go for a near sure thing in the draft. Jungmann possesses good to great velocity on his fastball and also has two secondary pitches which he's polished this season. The other possibility with this pick could be Matt Barnes.

\
confused, its the stros pick but you keep mentioning the cubs

Ah crap, confused myself there. Knew I had the 'Stros, but when writing it, thought I was picking for the Cubbies.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 1:47 pm

With the 12 th pk the Milwaukee Brewers are excited to announce...
Archie Bradley- RHP Hs Okla. Bradley is a big time prep arm who could really have ace type stuff in the very near future. Bradley is one of 3-4 prep arms I consider with ACE potential and in a draft not as deep as this he would likely have gone top 5. This kid is that good he really brings the heat(95) has the making of 4 pitches. His size 6'4 225 doesn't hurt either. Look for this kid to really come on for the Brew Crew... Zack Grienke... Who?
Bradley is a stud and in 3-4 yrs should be pitching at the major league level at a high level. Truly one I wouldn't mind seeing the tribe pk. But here the Brewers are the lucky ones.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 28, 2011 2:34 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Great pk up :dirol: by the Tribe he is a high high upside guy, not with star potential but superstar potential. This draft is absolutely loaded with studs, most of which are from the high school ranks. Dylan Bundy, Archie Bradley, Derek Bubba Starling, Jose Fernandez, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, Blake Swihart, Josh Bell to name a few then theres a second level of studs like Robert Stephenson, Tyler Beede, Nick Delmonico, Henry Owens, Travis Harrison.

With the depth that this org has, it can both maintain and gamble on a player like Derek Starling. Bubba is an allstar in waiting and while would cost a high price this system is loaded 31 of the top 50 in Tony's book are pitchers. So don't be shocked to see a position player(s) taken. The Tribe can utilize the bats and this could be the premier farm system in the minors IF the Tribe goes after high upside bats.

It's refreshing to see such depth in the minor league system that there are log jams galore for the Tribe just a few yrs back it wasn't so, the depth and farm system overall has been rebuilt rather quickly yet the pieces of the future are lacking in org. positional players. This is not the case with the pitching staff. The great aspect is pitching always sells high, like GOLD pitching has value.

Starling is a stud. He will likely cost 5 million plus, and in a draft this deep really that equates to 2 top tier quality players or does it? With such depth in this org. only signing 16-20 players could be idea. As long as these guys are some prime players and several UDFA wouldnt hurt to line the system. Starling is a great talent and will likely progress rather quickly through any org.

Great pick up in round 1. Curious who Brad Grant (GERONIMO SON) would consider rd 2. ??? If the tribe were to go high schooler this would be the yr. There is depth of first round talents well into round 2-3 even. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some gambles high by some teams and then go a bit safer later. The tribe stragedy in reverse order.
There are a couple of guys that would be "steals when the indians select again after the sammich picks.. Preston Tucker, 1B Florida, is a special kid (leadership/intangibles) with a bat to match..Brandon Nimmo is an explosive outfielder significant upside and Jose Fernandez would be a steal in the early second round. The biggest steal could be Mathew Purke, if he's there, he's the guy.. I D K if any of these guy will be there.. but it's a sampling..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:10 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:There are a couple of guys that would be "steals when the indians select again after the sammich picks.. Preston Tucker, 1B Florida, is a special kid (leadership/intangibles) with a bat to match..Brandon Nimmo is an explosive outfielder significant upside and Jose Fernandez would be a steal in the early second round. The biggest steal could be Mathew Purke, if he's there, he's the guy.. I D K if any of these guy will be there.. but it's a sampling..

I like Tucker too...but BA has him rated around a 4th or 5th round pick, rated only the 167th prospect. Defintiely wouldn't call him a "steal" in the 2nd round. Not enough upside. Agree he seems like a great kid though. liked him every time I saw him play.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 pm

The Mets select . . .

Taylor Guerrieri, RHP, Spring Valley HS
The Mets love big name pitchers and Guerrieri is one of the best high school arms available. He has the possibility of being a top ten pick, so the Mets would leap for joy if he fell this far. He has an above average fastball that has been clocked as high as 97 mph and a plus curve, but really lacks a third go to pitch. Some scouts have seen him mix in a changeup and cutter, but hasn't had the need to use them much. George Springer, Brandon Nimmo, and Sonny Gray are also potential picks here.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 3:37 pm

QUICK RE-HASH OF THE ACTION SO FAR...

1 Pirates... Gerrit Cole RHP UCLA
2 Mariners... Trevor Bauer RHP UCLA
3 Dbax... Anthony Rendon 3b Rice
4 Os... Danny Hultzen LHP Va
5 Royals... Alex Meyer RHP UK
6 Nationals... Jed Bradley LHP Ga Tech
7 Dbax... Dylan Bundy RHP hs Okla.
8 INDIANS... Derek 'BUBBA' Starling OF hs KS.
9 Cubs... Francisco Lindor SS hs FLA.
10 Padres... George Springer OF UConn
11 Astros... Taylor Jungmann RHP Tx
12 Brewers... Archie Bradley RHP hs Okla
13 Mets... Taylor Guerrieri RHP hs SC
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 28, 2011 4:06 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:QUICK RE-HASH OF THE ACTION SO FAR...

1 Pirates... Gerrit Cole RHP UCLA
2 Mariners... Trevor Bauer RHP UCLA
3 Dbax... Anthony Rendon 3b Rice
4 Os... Danny Hultzen LHP Va
5 Royals... Alex Meyer RHP UK
6 Nationals... Jed Bradley LHP Ga Tech
7 Dbax... Dylan Bundy RHP hs Okla.
8 INDIANS... Derek 'BUBBA' Starling OF hs KS.
9 Cubs... Francisco Lindor SS hs FLA.
10 Padres... George Springer OF UConn
11 Astros... Taylor Jungmann RHP Tx
12 Brewers... Archie Bradley RHP hs Okla
13 Mets... Taylor Guerrieri RHP hs SC

Next up: Rocky with the Marlins pic at #14..

Here's the rest of the draft order..
14. Florida Marlins (Rocky)
15. Milwaukee Brewers (Jellis)
16. Los Angeles Dodgers (Home)
17. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Home)
18. Oakland A's (Geromino)
19. Boston Red Sox (Rocky)
20. Colorado Rockies (Jellis)
21. Toronto Blue Jays (Andrew)
22. St. Louis Cardinals (Geronimo)
23. Washington Nationals (Rocky)
24. Tampa Bay Rays (Andrew)
25. San Diego Padres (Geromino)
26. Boston Red Sox (Rocky)
27. Cincinnati Reds (Jellis)
28. Atlanta Braves (Geronimo)
29. San Francisco Giants (Rocky)
30. Minnesota Twins (Jellis)
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 28, 2011 4:08 pm

After the 8th pick.. It's possible that none of the players selected will exceed the performance and career of Bubba..If there is one play who might..it would be Archie Bradley..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:38 pm

With the 14th pick, in a surprise to no one, the Florida Marlins select: Mikie Mahtook, OF, LSU.

Archie Bradley would have been the obvious pick here but he's gone. The Marlins go BPA.

As a side note, not that it has any bearing on this exercise, Josh Bell reportedly told scouts that he wasn't signing & would go to school. We'll see.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Josh Bell ... If that's the case we will probably see the rays "waste" a pk on him... Chance of signing him but not over the top offer... Btw they aren't going to sign all those pks too much money on 10 first rd pks.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat May 28, 2011 8:42 pm

15th pick The Brewers take Matt Barnes Sp UCON

He will be a top ten pick, so this was easy. He is peaking at the right time, and a bonus for any cold weather team is to draft a cold weather arm. He has performed well on the bigger stages pitching for Team USA. Lots of potential still left in his arm.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 9:54 pm

With the 16th pk the Los Angeles Dodgers select...
John Stilson-RHP Tx A&M. This is a pk that's likely not going above slot. Picking Stilson here does that, he'd probably sign for slot. Stilson can reach 99 with his fb has served as a reliever in the past and could be in the Dodgers pen rather qkly or developed as a starter will continue to be a work in progress.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 pm

With the 17th pk in the 2011IPI mock draft the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim from Orange County in California aka the golden state select....
Jose Fernandez-RHP Alonso hs Miami, Fla. Originally from Cuba this kid can bring it. Really think he could be FOR type ACE potential power arm at 19 he's hitting 98 has moxy solid mix of pitches and confidence. He believes he can pitch in the majors and so do I but he needs time to develop. Has great character and in his third boat trip and nearly drowning has brought his arm and confidence with him... He will need it. I believe 3-4 yrs tops and he will one day stand on a major league mound. He's a great story and better potential. With some good coaching and a good mentor the sky is the limit with Fernandez. Expect to see him mowing batters down qkly.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 28, 2011 10:24 pm

With the 18th pick in the IPI Mock draft, the oakland A's select:

Sonny Gray, RHP, Vanderbilt Sonny Gray's was originally considered for the top ten in the draft. With the advent of the Freak, Tim Lincecum, smallish RHP pitchers are no longer viewed negatively. Gray is one of the top college arms. In his years at Vandy, he has truly improved his domination of his opponents. In the current season, he's been nearly un-hittable. A .181 batting average against and a fastball that sits in the 92-94 range while hitting at or above the mid-90s fastball along with a devastating curves make him a perfect fit for the A's in this draft.

The Red Sox are now on the clock...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sat May 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Just realized I only put down 30 picks for first round when there are 33. So the extra three picks at 31, 32, 33 will need to be added. To do this, simply just go in order from 1-3 used at the start of the mock.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Sun May 29, 2011 12:29 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:With the 16th pk the Los Angeles Dodgers select...
John Stilson-RHP Tx A&M. This is a pk that's likely not going above slot. Picking Stilson here does that, he'd probably sign for slot. Stilson can reach 99 with his fb has served as a reliever in the past and could be in the Dodgers pen rather qkly or developed as a starter will continue to be a work in progress.

might want a repick, Stilson has a torn labrum and with his previous medical issues he might not be drafted at all this year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 am

With the 18th pick, the RSux select Blake Swihart, catcher, Cleveland HS, New Mexico. He's going to be expensive to pry away from U of Texas, but the Sux can afford it. Incredible bat, premium position, tons of upside.

Colorado is on the clock.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 29, 2011 8:10 am

@ jellis saw that too, about an hr after I made that choice, that's the way the draft goes...
(ra dickey)--think the rangers kicked themselves when they found out he had a ligament missing in his elbow?
Barrett Loux?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 29, 2011 8:15 am

Stilson is a guy that a team will take a flier on like the tribe did Aviles. A guy that can throw 99 is worth it IMO. Obviously Stilson falls now maybe a middle rd pk. Knapp has also had a torn labrum, came back throwing just as hard. Stilson would at least get a look as a closer. Injuries are the nature of the game. Aviles went in the 7th rd last yr with the need for TJ after injuring his elbow days before the draft. He was potentially a first rd pk until than.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Stilson is a guy that a team will take a flier on like the tribe did Aviles. A guy that can throw 99 is worth it IMO. Obviously Stilson falls now maybe a middle rd pk. Knapp has also had a torn labrum, came back throwing just as hard. Stilson would at least get a look as a closer. Injuries are the nature of the game. Aviles went in the 7th rd last yr with the need for TJ after injuring his elbow days before the draft. He was potentially a first rd pk until than.

Maybe someone will take him. I just stay away from a guy with shoulder injuries unless he is really cheap. Aviles was TJ surgery where pitchers come back from. Shoulders are a different story though especially the labrum.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk