RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

John Drennan suspended

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

John Drennan suspended

Postby A.Zajac » Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 pm

50 games for positive PED test. Tested positive for Clomiphene, a female fertility drug.

*insert Manny joke here*
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Rocky55 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Don't think they should suspend a guy for trying to have a baby. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby jellis » Tue May 17, 2011 5:53 pm

A guy willing to try anything to make the majors?
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 pm

A.Zajac wrote:50 games for positive PED test. Tested positive for Clomiphene, a female fertility drug.

*insert Manny joke here*


Or Volquez or many others joke...


Anyone else think the ML and minor league drug testing policy is still one giant joke itself? They keep claiming victories over positive "PED" tests like this. again, Clomiphene is not a PED...doesn't enhance any baseball related performance. They only catch guys using something that they may (or may not) have used AFTER supposedly using a PED. Again, don't doubt that these guys are actually using...but pretty pathetic that this is the only thing they can catch guys for IMO.


As far as Drennan....man that hurts. I agree with jellis here.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm

jellis wrote:A guy willing to try anything to make the majors?

Well, yeah. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but... if you think about who are logically the most likely professional players to start using PEDs... once hyped hitter, who has stalled out half way up the ladder, and doesn't have enough power to get noticed at his position... you could put John Drennen's picture beside that.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
jellis wrote:A guy willing to try anything to make the majors?

Well, yeah. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but... if you think about who are logically the most likely professional players to start using PEDs... once hyped hitter, who has stalled out half way up the ladder, and doesn't have enough power to get noticed at his position... you could put John Drennen's picture beside that.


Got to agree with PCP. This catch doesn't surprise me. Nor would a few others in this organization.

Catch Drew Pomeranez or Lonnie Chisenhall this season or next ...... :shok:
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby criznit2009 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:50 games for positive PED test. Tested positive for Clomiphene, a female fertility drug.

*insert Manny joke here*


Or Volquez or many others joke...


Anyone else think the ML and minor league drug testing policy is still one giant joke itself? They keep claiming victories over positive "PED" tests like this. again, Clomiphene is not a PED...doesn't enhance any baseball related performance. They only catch guys using something that they may (or may not) have used AFTER supposedly using a PED. Again, don't doubt that these guys are actually using...but pretty pathetic that this is the only thing they can catch guys for IMO.

As far as Drennan....man that hurts. I agree with jellis here.


Hermie - we all know Clomiphene itself isnt a PED, but then why take it???? OH thats right to "heal"/ mask/eliminate the markers related to the use of an "actual" PED... Seems to me catching them on the drug they use to recover from/clean their system/mask/whatever the "PED" in question is good enough.

The only Indian I am willing to look the other way while they get juiced up is - Adam Miller.
Last edited by criznit2009 on Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Hermie - we all know Clomiphene itself isnt a PED, but then why take it???? OH thats right to "heal"/ mask/eliminate the markers related to the use of an "actual" PED... Seems to me catching them on the drug they use to recover from/clean their system/mask/whatever the "PED" in question is good enough.

The only Indian I am willing to look the other way while they get juiced up is - Adam Miller.


Problem is this is America. You need to prove someone actually did something, not that he did something else that may mean he did wrong. Again, I agree these guys most likely did use. Though PED use is not the only use for any of these drugs.

I also doubt that "all" knew that Clomiphene wasn't a PED itself.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Edible14 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Hermie - we all know Clomiphene itself isnt a PED, but then why take it???? OH thats right to "heal"/ mask/eliminate the markers related to the use of an "actual" PED... Seems to me catching them on the drug they use to recover from/clean their system/mask/whatever the "PED" in question is good enough.

The only Indian I am willing to look the other way while they get juiced up is - Adam Miller.


Problem is this is America. You need to prove someone actually did something, not that he did something else that may mean he did wrong. Again, I agree these guys most likely did use. Though PED use is not the only use for any of these drugs.

I also doubt that "all" knew that Clomiphene wasn't a PED itself.


The MLBPA sends out a lot of literature about what is and isn't cool to be taking. Furthermore, IIRC there is a number that they are provided to call a representative to check. Female fertility drugs are on that list. If he didn't read the material or use the resources provided, is that somehow the league's fault? Ignorance of the rules isn't a valid excuse.

They can't prove he did PED's. However, the test DOES prove that he broke a rule about what you can and cannot put into your system. That's what's being punished here. Female fertility drugs are banned for a reason, and there really is no legitimate reason that he would be taking them.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Edible14 wrote:The MLBPA sends out a lot of literature about what is and isn't cool to be taking. Furthermore, IIRC there is a number that they are provided to call a representative to check. Female fertility drugs are on that list. If he didn't read the material or use the resources provided, is that somehow the league's fault? Ignorance of the rules isn't a valid excuse.

They can't prove he did PED's. However, the test DOES prove that he broke a rule about what you can and cannot put into your system. That's what's being punished here. Female fertility drugs are banned for a reason, and there really is no legitimate reason that he would be taking them.


I agree 100%; he should be suspended.

Just hate when people say guys like this tested positive for PEDs. Call me nitpicky, but that's just how I feel.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby A.Zajac » Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Hermie - we all know Clomiphene itself isnt a PED, but then why take it???? OH thats right to "heal"/ mask/eliminate the markers related to the use of an "actual" PED... Seems to me catching them on the drug they use to recover from/clean their system/mask/whatever the "PED" in question is good enough.

The only Indian I am willing to look the other way while they get juiced up is - Adam Miller.


Problem is this is America. You need to prove someone actually did something, not that he did something else that may mean he did wrong. Again, I agree these guys most likely did use. Though PED use is not the only use for any of these drugs.

I also doubt that "all" knew that Clomiphene wasn't a PED itself.


The MLBPA sends out a lot of literature about what is and isn't cool to be taking. Furthermore, IIRC there is a number that they are provided to call a representative to check. Female fertility drugs are on that list. If he didn't read the material or use the resources provided, is that somehow the league's fault? Ignorance of the rules isn't a valid excuse.

They can't prove he did PED's. However, the test DOES prove that he broke a rule about what you can and cannot put into your system. That's what's being punished here. Female fertility drugs are banned for a reason, and there really is no legitimate reason that he would be taking them.


+1. Couldn't have said it better myself. There's no excuse to plead ignorance. Second of all... why are you taking female fertility drugs in the first place?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby jellis » Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Edible14 wrote:The MLBPA sends out a lot of literature about what is and isn't cool to be taking. Furthermore, IIRC there is a number that they are provided to call a representative to check. Female fertility drugs are on that list. If he didn't read the material or use the resources provided, is that somehow the league's fault? Ignorance of the rules isn't a valid excuse.

They can't prove he did PED's. However, the test DOES prove that he broke a rule about what you can and cannot put into your system. That's what's being punished here. Female fertility drugs are banned for a reason, and there really is no legitimate reason that he would be taking them.


I agree 100%; he should be suspended.

Just hate when people say guys like this tested positive for PEDs. Call me nitpicky, but that's just how I feel.


Here is the issue no one can get caught for PED's because they use shit like this to mask it, that has no real use. Using this means your doing something you should not end of story
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby danh8 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:07 am

In explaining the whole Manny Ramirez situation, the reasoning for using the female fertility drug is that when finishing up a cycle on anabolic steroids, your body, due to getting the steroids (testostrone) in this manner, your body stops natually producing testostrone. The fertility drugs help to kickstart the body back into naturally producing teststrone once again...
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 pm

jellis wrote:Here is the issue no one can get caught for PED's because they use shit like this to mask it, that has no real use. Using this means your doing something you should not end of story


Again, using this "likely" and in nearly all certainity means you're using PEDs...but again, it's not it's "only" use. Baseball just likes to act like it is.


Also, drugs like this (HCG, etc) are not masking agents. They are testosterone replacement drugs to prevent the testes from shrinking. If you're taking them while on PEDs, you'd still test positive (ergo, not a masking agent). A couple of people in the media like calling it a masking agent, but it's not classified as such in sport anti-drug policies.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Personally I think all these positive tests prove is that players are being smarter about when they use PEDs. Is it me, or doesn't it seem like all these testesterone replacement drug violations happen in the first 6-8 weeks of the season?

One reason no one is testing positive for actual PEDs likely is they are smart and now waiting to start til after the season is over....go home, take the illegal stuff and work out, then stop before the season starts. Some still get caught with their replacement drugs (ie, Manny, Volquez, and now Drennan).....others, well I'm guessing lots are still getting thru....
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby allhailshapiro » Sat May 21, 2011 11:24 am

The only reason why a healthy young man like Drennan would take clomiphene is to jumpstart his body's testosterone production after a cycle. That is it. There is no other reason for the drug to be in his system without a prescription, and if he had a script, he would not only have presented it to MiLB before his suspension but also would have had a good explanation for it, b/c the unlabeled use for clomiphene in a guy is gynomastia (hey, guess what causes that in males past puberty!). This is why guys get suspended for having it in their system, or even possessing it (illegally) like Manny did.

John Drennan was recovering after a cycle and either mistimed it or was just ignorant. That is why he tested positive for PED- he was on one, which is why he took clomiphene. If he has a good explanation, I would love to hear it. As it stands, yes, he was on a PED and got caught, and he is paying the price for it.

And you hit the nail on the head, Hermie, in regards to timing- in each sport, they time their drug use for when testing lapses. Hell, I can't remember the specific day, but there is a 'last day' of the year when NBA players get tested and this is a virtual holiday for the potheads of the NBA. These guys know. That is why I wonder if Drennen didn't get snagged by a random offseason test or by his first one back from the offseason. If it was a routine test, he really screwed up.
allhailshapiro
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: John Drennan suspended

Postby criznit2009 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 pm

A little off subject - but man the hammer looks to be coming down on Lance Armstrong...Really sad as I think he is a total liar - it was an era of sports where the ENTIRE sports commiunity had(still has) a PED issue. It would be nice for Drennan to say something about it, but almost every single athlete lies about PEDs it seems.

Also as far as passing drug tests (Lance's "proof" he did not cheat), anyone will tell you there are tons of ways to invalidate/falsify the sample. Some people even use someone elses whiz for their sample and when you have medical experts helping you out....Should pass all the time or nearly almost every time. I think the guys who get caught are ther ones who get sloppy. I was blown away at the "industry" that exist to cheat drug test, go ahead and google it What works and whats fake I dont know - but I also dont have the resources of a professional baseball player when it comes to this arena.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR


Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests