RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

What (if anything) is Carlton Smith doing differently?

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

What (if anything) is Carlton Smith doing differently?

Postby PanRains » Sat May 07, 2011 1:25 am

It's a very small sample size, but he's striking out 12 guys per 9 innings, and he's never really done that. His rookie year he K'ed 7.9 per 9, but in the last 5 years the best he's done for a year is 6.3 per 9, and the best K:BB ratio has been 2.45 to 1. Is this simple variance, or is he throwing a new pitch, or has he gained a few MPH, or something else?

I assume it's just "anything can happen in 12 innings" but was wondering if there's something more.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
PanRains
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: What (if anything) is Carlton Smith doing differently?

Postby ClevelandBlues » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 am

I would say the sample size is still relatively small, but you never know. He seemed quite average when I saw him pitch at Akron. Sometimes a few minor mechanical adjustments can turn a pitcher from average to unhittable. To be honest, I was a little suprised he made it through the spring training without being cut as there was a lot of competition in the upper levels for bullpen jobs. Maybe he showed something this spring to impress the coaching staff. He has been impressive so far, but he also has a lot of other pitchers who are ahead of him on the depth chart.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Return to Indians Prospect Talk