RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Breakout Candidates

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Breakout Candidates

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:16 am

Who's going to breakout this yr and sky rocket through the system?

I won't be too surprised to see several of the 2010 draft players breakout this yr but any surprises?

Drew Pomeranz will probably move along qkly and end the season in AA.
Alex Lavisky has shown some good pop in spring and should carry it over.
Ronny Rodriguez looks to have a blow up yr as a prospect.

Who's this yrs Matt Packer?

Mike Rayl

How will Tony Wolters and Levon Washington perform in their first seasons.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Re: Breakout Candidates

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Personally, I hope, and believe there is a reasonable chance, for three pitchers from the 2008 draft to make breakouts this year. In spite of Tony's ranking, House still has to show that he is a top talent. Potential but hasn't shown much IMO. Haley looked in a better frame of mind and I am hoping this is the year he will harness the arm and throw strikes. Clayton Cook has been steady but needs to show that his physical improvement can reflect in his numbers. I would not be surprised to see him hit mid 90s by the middle of the year.

On the offensive side, I was pleasantly surprised to see contact improvement from Smit and Abreu in ST. We will see if that lasts when the pitchers start throwing breaking balls and offspeed pitches for real. From the rookies, I was pleasantly surprised at how well Bartolone defended and his crisp hitting. No power whatsoever but could move quickly with Wolters injury. Romero showed me something and he has a chance to give us a solid prospect. And, lastly, I won't be shocked if tis is the year Moncrief shows is why he was drafted.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 pm

breakout: Lavisky
Comeback: B.Mills, De La Cruz, A. Abreau, Alexander Perez

Players taking big step forward: Haley, L.Washington, Bellows

It is easy to pick Lavisky for a breakout season but being a mid-early round pick. I think he plays well above his draft level.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:25 pm

It's funny bc the Tribe actually has alot of talent it's hard to remember some of the guys even some of the upper end guys like TJ House who could really come into his own or a guy like Bo Greenwell who has matured physically over the offseason and yet has room for growth. Felix Sterling should get to show his wares in lc. Even a guy like Deivi Cid could prove to be a top 10 prospect by yrs end.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 pm

It seems the Tribe lacks in LHSP but there are at least seven pitchers who could make their way to the bigs this yr or next, although a few would have to really begin to develop.
Kelvin DeLaCruz
Scott Barnes
Matt Packer
TJ House
TJ McFarland
Giovonni Soto
Mike Rayl
That's without mentioning David Huff, Drew Pomeranz and Nick Hagadone.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:43 am

Scott Barnes originally acq. From SF for Ryan Garko what seems a decade ago is one of my choices for a breakout candidate. Barnes throws a 90-92 mph fb that tops out at 95, he recently added a slider and already has a very good change too. Barnes mentality is an aggressive attacking style lefty, who stands 6'4 185 so there is some room for more maturation. Barnes could develop IMO into a #3 starter at best, but tends to look more a #4 or#5. If his slider does not develop as desired Barnes could easily slide into the pen with the possibility of becoming a long man or middle relief lefty. With his attacking style Barnes gets a good amount of K's and could be best suited as a lefty reliever on the big league level. It would not be shocking to see Barnes avg. Another tick or two as he matures and if he is moved to the pen down the road.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 am

Kyle Bellows is another breakout candidate. Bellows is already big league qlty in terms of his defensive skills. His bat needs some work but is coming around, and he has began swinging with more pop in his bat. Bellows may not develop into a high avg. Hitter but has improved his approach and power could play on the major league level if he continues on his current developmental path. Bellows brings major league ready defensive skills to the table but could be potentially blocked by the Tribes number one prospect Lonnie Chisenhall. Bellows overall won't win any batting titles but has some nice pop, improved approach at the plate and a major league ready defensive skill set. Bellows could become an everyday 3b, but is at least a bench possibility down the road.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:52 am

As far as pitchers go ... Drew Pomeranz, Matt Packer, Nick Hagadone,and Scott Barnes

postion players, Greenwell, Lavisky, Ronny Rodriguez, and Nick Bartloleone
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 am

Lavisky has been impressive this spring. I thought the possibilities of him going to Lake County were rushing him, I must admit I was wrong as he could possibly end the last few wks of the yr in Kinston, unless LC is in the hunt and the Tribe brass wants Lavisky to experience the case.

Drew Pomeranz is an easy guess to me. He has pleasantly surprised IMO, showing better stuff than anticipated. I'm really on the Pomeranz band wagon now. I felt when drafted he could be a good 2 or 3, but now with his strikeout stuff he could push to be a 1. I'm not saying an ACE but a 1 starter. True ACEs are few and far between, but Pomeranz has put on a impressive display. If he continues to dominate throughout the season he could push all the way to a very late season AAA callup.

Ronnie Rodriguez appears to have the ability to sky rocket through the system. How did the Tribe get this guy? (MAYBE TONY CAN TELL THE STORY BEHIND HIS SIGNING) What I'm saying is he should have been signed at least a yr or 2 ago. He's 18, has good size and has great offensive potential and is solid defensively too.

Hagadone was impressive the other day striking out 7 with no walks!!! If he continues to do that he will see the mound in Cleveland sometime this yr.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

Just to throw another name in there, Al C. watched C.C. Lee pitch the other day and said his stuff is absolutely filthy. Then yesterday he struck out the side in a AAA minor league game. So I went to the Bible (Tony's prospect book) and it says that some people think he's the #1 relief prospect in the system. His main challenge is to get stronger and finish off his third pitch. So I think this guy is a legitimate breakout candidate to add to the list.

Hagadone is another year removed from TJ surgery so if his control improves he's a legit candidate. And Abreu has the tools and is looking good, so this may be his year. I'm also hoping de la Cruz can get back on track. Giovanni Soto is another guy I'm watching because he's so young and just needs more physical growth and experience.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 am

There could be quite a few break out candidates for this talented & deep Indians farm system. In the next few weeks/months, the following may be the "movers" in the system:

TJ House.. Should be just about ready to explode into the bright lights of Canal Park Stadium. His sinking fastball and waaaaaaaay better change up make him a real threat to opposing batters. His slider needs a bit more "bite" later in the pitch for it to become a truely wipeout pitch. He'll need to tighten up his delivery mechanics a bit to reach the next level(s). He has the attitude to do it..

Trey Haley... Tremendous upside arm with the physical tools to be as good as he wants to be. He's entering his third year in the Indians system and has always been the "kid" where ever he's been at. It's his time to show the maturity and mental toughness needed to become a rising star/breakout prospect.

Bo Greenwell... BG is a physically gifted athlete with a deep pedigree in baseball. After a couple of "IDK WTF" is happening kind of 2007 & 2008, he began his path to the ML's in earnest with the 2009 season. Since then, he's been moved to CF, his most natural position, and has matured both physically and mentally. His .300 BA in combined 2009 & 2010 to go with more than 50 XBH's shows he can drive the ball to "...where they aint..". The 2011 season could be HUGE for him..

There are no doubt other candidates, but here are three that could move fast in the 2011 season...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 am

Not sure I would say that a rookie can actually have a "breakout" season, but I do expect Lavisky and Pomeranz to justify their lofty prospect status almost immediately. I would have picked Trey Haley, but man, he is looking no different this spring than he has his last 2 seasons. He simply has 0 command.

So I'll go with:

Jeremy Tice. When they drafted this kid I thought he'd be a pretty solid prospect because of his power but he never seemed to be anything but so-so, but last year he did seem to look like he was starting to get it, so I think he might just bust out this year. If not, it's pretty much over for his career.

Jesus Aquilar. I think this kid has a chance to be a special player.

De La Cruz. Yeah, I know he's pretty much already had his breakout year, but had a bit of a backslide last year, so I think he proves once and for all he's for real.

Bo Greenwell. This guy simply has all the tools to be a solid major league player. Last season he made some huge strides, this season, I think he shows some power and I think he'll be in Akron by mid-season - maybe Columbus by late season.

Kyle Bellows. Never was high on this guy but he just keeps showing that he's more than organizational fodder and his power is starting to show. I think he pushes himself into a serious prospect this season.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:10 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:Not sure I would say that a rookie can actually have a "breakout" season, but I do expect Lavisky and Pomeranz to justify their lofty prospect status almost immediately. I would have picked Trey Haley, but man, he is looking no different this spring than he has his last 2 seasons. He simply has 0 command.

So I'll go with:

Jeremy Tice. When they drafted this kid I thought he'd be a pretty solid prospect because of his power but he never seemed to be anything but so-so, but last year he did seem to look like he was starting to get it, so I think he might just bust out this year. If not, it's pretty much over for his career.

Jesus Aquilar. I think this kid has a chance to be a special player.

De La Cruz. Yeah, I know he's pretty much already had his breakout year, but had a bit of a backslide last year, so I think he proves once and for all he's for real.

Bo Greenwell. This guy simply has all the tools to be a solid major league player. Last season he made some huge strides, this season, I think he shows some power and I think he'll be in Akron by mid-season - maybe Columbus by late season.

Kyle Bellows. Never was high on this guy but he just keeps showing that he's more than organizational fodder and his power is starting to show. I think he pushes himself into a serious prospect this season.

I picked Lavisky because with him being an 8th rounder, he can have lots of helium this year with a standout year. There is lots of hype and if he lives up to 80% of that hype, I will call that a breakout year. Breakout=YES.

Pomeranz, Washington and Wolters were high draft picks which means they can be expected to have solid years. Not my definition of a breakout if they have solid years (but that is my definition of a breakout).

De La Cruz - year 2 after TJ surgery usually is very telling on a prospect's status. I also expect him to re-establish his prospect rating. Breakout=YES.

Greenwell - I think he had his breakout last year. Now can he keep progressing? My guess with the added strength then YES.

Bellows - His breakout will have to be with the bat as his glove is already there. Right now if he keeps progressing he may be a Hannahan or David Bell type player at the Major League level. If his bat finds the ball with authority consistently, then that would be the ultimate definition of a breakout. My prediction is that he will get to above average this year but have a breakout next year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Kyle Bellows lone draw back is his hitting I believe this yr that changes as his power develops so to does his hitting... I expect a solid approach at the dish (.265 ba) and better hr power 12-14 this yr. At the AA level with 20+ doubles as well.
Jeremie Tice is interesting, he did improve last yr and could be on the verge of breaking through, I won't be shocked if he hits 20+ hrs, the power is there but can he stay on the field. I was glad to see him when the tribe signed him. But he has struggled to stay healthy.
Another name to watch could be Felix Sterling at Lake County, I think this might be rushing him a bit, I expect to see him struggle early on with his power stuff and size he could really flash some talent. I don't really expect him to blow up but he could really flash his ability.
Deivi Cid dropped switch hitting so his avg should look alot better, he has good speed to swipe 50 bags again and begin to show, he could be an option for the big league club sooner rather than later.
Kelvin DeLaCruz suffered a ucl sprain and rested through the remainder of 09. He struggled at AA last yr in his return from injury, but has the potential to arrive as a prospect. He was fairly solid this spring w/ the Tribe and should show he is near ready. He's not really a breakout player but maybe a breakthrough player.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Bit House fan (both the player and the show, ha)...but he's been touched on a lot (definitely one of my breakout candidates too).

Another lefty I think will have a big breakout year is Scott Barnes. I know some are saying he could end up in the pen, and they're definitely right....but I love how he finished last year. Then went to the AFL and put up 28 Ks in less than 25 innings, while keeping his walks in check for the most part. He was a top 10 spec in the Giants system when we got him, so not a scrub. Would love to see a lefty in the rotation at some point this year, and I think Barnes has as good a shot as any. Gives you a type of pitcher too that we don't truely have. Too many pitch to contact guys.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm

@ hermie13 agreed Scott Barnes could easily be a reliever but has a possible ceiling of a 3 starter. He should end up as a very solid 4 starter or potentially shutdown lefty from the pen. I won't be shocked to see him post 9/10 k per 9 innings. He's one of the arms that gets little hype, but produces solid results.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 pm

As others have noted, the Tribe farm system is chock full of exactly the sort of players who could break out. Plenty of guys with considerable talent who have yet to put it together. It is all but certain a handful of players will pull a Chun Chen and blow us away this year.

The two pitchers I have my eye on are Zach McAllister and Austin Adams. McAllister had a terrible season last year, but had been tremendous every other season in his career. He is still quite young for a player in his second AAA year, all of 23. He has had a good spring.

Adams has good stuff and only started pitching a couple of years ago, Although he is 24, he still has room to grow.

Like many others I have a sense that Kyle Bellows will make a move this year into legitimate prospectdom.

Super longshot: Carlos Moncrief.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Zach McAllister definitely could breakout this yr. I love the fact that his stuff all seems to run hard down, he gets a good heavy downward plane on all of his pitches which makes it harder to lift a pitch and drive it. I wouldn't be too surprised if he was called up before White. He was a top 5 prospect with the Yanks bc of his projectability as a big league pitcher, he's probably only going to be a mid to back of the order guy, but will likely see a big league mound too. It's not a certainty but his stuff should get him a chance. At 23 in his second season at AAA should say how well he has progressed this far.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chip Davis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 pm

I look for Matt McBride to start opening some eyes. He has real good offensive potential and is versitile defensively. If LaPorta fails, McBride is someone who could sneak in and claim 1b and has the right handed power that is needed.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 pm

I won't reveal my major league breakouts, I'll leave that for the round table.

On the minor league side of things, I look for LeVon Washington, Kyle Bellows, Drew Pomeranz, and Chun Chen to have huge years.. (aside from Chiz, Kip, White...)
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby silverbackAXP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Chip Davis wrote:I look for Matt McBride to start opening some eyes. He has real good offensive potential and is versitile defensively. If LaPorta fails, McBride is someone who could sneak in and claim 1b and has the right handed power that is needed.

no, he won't.
silverbackAXP
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby artgold » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 am

Last season I went with Greenwell, and I think he will continue to make major improvements this season too. I think he breaks into the top 20 for next season, adding some power to a good batting average and OBP.

Pitching wise I think Barnes will be a major consideration for the future rotation by year's end. In addition, if Paolo Espino is healthy this season (I haven't seen any injury reports on him) I believe he may surprise many folks, especially inside the organization, and make the major league roster at some time this season.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 am

artgold wrote:In addition, if Paolo Espino is healthy this season (I haven't seen any injury reports on him) I believe he may surprise many folks, especially inside the organization, and make the major league roster at some time this season.

Man, I dunno Art. Espino may not even make it out of camp. Unless there are some last minute injuries, I don't see where he even opens with Columbus. Too many guys ahead of him too on the pecking order for him to be of any roster consideration this year in Cleveland. But who knows.....I like your boldness.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 pm

I realize Espino is a real longshot, but I was high on Tomlin when he rarely made the rotation discussions a couple of years ago too.

Some guys just don't have the stuff to get attention, and being a short righty certainly is a major strike against him in how he is viewed as a prospect. But, I think it is somewhat of an odd prejudice based on the history of small right handed starters such as Mike Boddicker, Pedro Martinez and Roy Oswalt. I don't expect the prejudice to change, and it certainly is baseball wide. But, I think that injuries and poor performances may give Espino a chance, and I like trying to discover longshots.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 pm

silverbackAXP wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I look for Matt McBride to start opening some eyes. He has real good offensive potential and is versitile defensively. If LaPorta fails, McBride is someone who could sneak in and claim 1b and has the right handed power that is needed.

no, he won't.

Why don't you make a prediction on a breakout player and keep your snide, post lurking comments to yourself. Thanks in advance and I still think McBride will force his way onto a major league team soon.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Chip Davis wrote:
silverbackAXP wrote:

no, he won't.

Why don't you make a prediction on a breakout player and keep your snide, post lurking comments to yourself. Thanks in advance and I still think McBride will force his way onto a major league team soon.

McBride is well loved on this site, and I wish him the best, but I don't see how a guy who has such a bad OBP can be thought to be such a sure fire player. I feel like he is the next Jordan Brown type of player that is over valued a bit by the fans
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 pm

I like McBride, it seems like every time I see him (8 or 9 games) he absolutely pounds the ball. He's almost 26, and doesn't really have a position. Seems like he may never get much of a chance.
My breakout guys are Abreu, Cid and CC Lee. Real longshot is Jason Smit...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 pm

McBride is well loved on this site, and I wish him the best, but I don't see how a guy who has such a bad OBP can be thought to be such a sure fire player. I feel like he is the next Jordan Brown type of player that is over valued a bit by the fans[/quote]

You could be absolutely correct Jellis. I am pretty sure though that he has significant power that Brown doesn't posess. He is a better athlete than LaPorta IMO and therefore could probably be a better defender, again IMO. I am definately not saying he is a sure fire player. I just think he has the potential to surprise. Thanks for the reply.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Chip Davis wrote:McBride is well loved on this site, and I wish him the best, but I don't see how a guy who has such a bad OBP can be thought to be such a sure fire player. I feel like he is the next Jordan Brown type of player that is over valued a bit by the fans

You could be absolutely correct Jellis. I am pretty sure though that he has significant power that Brown doesn't posess. He is a better athlete than LaPorta IMO and therefore could probably be a better defender, again IMO. I am definately not saying he is a sure fire player. I just think he has the potential to surprise. Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

I hope you are right, and I do like the EB potential which he has shown. The fact that everyone who sees him does fall in love with him as a player, is another huge positive. I hope I am wrong.

As for my own breakout candidate, I am going to save it for the sites round table which I think will come out in 2 weeks or so
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 am

Clayton Cook another RHP that could break out this season. He's good at throwing strikes and usually sets lower 90's but his command helps him get outs. He's not a big K guy but doesn't BB a lot either. As he continues maturing he could add that extra 1-2 mph.
Michael Goodnight throws mid 90's but does walk a few too. We tribe fans didn't get to see a lot from him but he should get his share of starts this season.
Tony Dischler another RHP who could break onto the scene this season, and another pk from 2010 draft.

It seems the Tribe has a surplus of arms. About 30 of the top 50 prospects according to Tony's top 100 plus prospects.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:47 pm

After the tribe list JRod and Carlos Rivero, I was concerned about the apparent lack of depth in the middle infield. The tribe on the other hand must of trusted in their talent. It looks like several guys are lining up to push to be the future at SS. Anyone of Juan Diaz, Nick Bartolone, Tony Wolters, and Ronny Rodriguez could emerge as that guy this yr.
I' ll pick Nick Bartolone as a break out player, he's a light weight with the bat but is pretty solid on D. He was a surprise pk in the 6 th rd last tr but did not dissappoint. Bartolone may never be a great hitter but should be able to utilize his good speed and solid d. He is a talented player who may continue to surprise.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 am

Is it too late to say Giovanny Urshela seeing as he's already batting .455? He's got a smooth smooth glove at 3rd and his bat is starting to catch up. Did I mention that he's only 19?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:51 am

The season just started I don't think it's too late to add any one Urshela is a guy I rated in the 20 prospects this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see him really take off this yr. As he matures he will only get better, at 19 he still has a lot of room to grow physically and with his game.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:10 am

entertheshoe wrote:Is it too late to say Giovanny Urshela seeing as he's already batting .455? He's got a smooth smooth glove at 3rd and his bat is starting to catch up. Did I mention that he's only 19?

The season has already started and you can only pick short season guys to get the Ippy (IPI) Award in the breakout player category :biggrin: - just kiddin' Lot's to like about Giovanny though. WIth a good year, he can shoot right up the rankins Top 15 or even Top 10 next year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:05 pm

So the biggest break-out may be Adams ... see he went 6 innings and 6ks. The innings for me is the biggest key this early as I thought he would be more of a reliever. Heck, with 6 innings, he is doing better than Rondon a few years back when he had to push through 6 innings at times. Hope they keep him a starter and make us all look a little foolish for dropping him in the prospect rankings due to thinking he was more of a reliever and had good numbers due to being a bit old for the younger levels last year.

Also like what Giovanny is doing at only 19 years old. Yes, Smit is tearing it up too ... but at 21 and 2nd time through the league, he should be up in Kinston if he was a serious prospect.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm high on Adams too, I tried to stay away from some of the upper prospects, but I expect him to force his way up the prospect list this season. I wont be surprised to see him as the number 2 RHSP prospect by seasons end, (unless the tribe drafts an upper echelon arm.)
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ClevelandBlues » Sun May 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Well it is about a month into the season now, so i thought this would be a good thread to use to discuss which players are living up to their prospect status and which players are getting on the radar.

Columbus- Phelps has been off to a good start so far and he is drawing an impressive amount of walks. Kipnis and Chisenhall have not really heated up yet, but dont look overmatched so far at AAA. Barnes is off to a decent start this year, and he could be a left handed starting option for us at some point this season. Putnam has put up a good statline out of the bullpen, and Carlton Smith is pitching well after a horrible season last year at AAA.

Akron- The offense has been pretty terrible so far, but there has been some good pitching. Hagadone looks like he could be a dominant setup man or closer in the future. De La Cruz has been hard to hit, but he has also been walking a lot of batters. Burns is looking like the real deal so far out of the bullpen.

Kinston- A lot like Akron, not very good offensively, but good pitching. Pomeranz has been living up to his first round status. I could see him in Akron by the all star break. Soto is worth keeping an eye on. I wish they would put Popham in the rotation. He is 6'6", 235 and seems to have great control. Guilmet might be a bullpen option someday.

Lake County- Jesus Aguilar may have the most raw power in the organization. I think he will continue to hit his way onto the radar. Urshella is holding his own but has yet to really breakout. Smit, Moncrief, Gallas and Cannon have been pretty impressive so far. Im not sure all of them will continue to hit this well, but I won't complain if they do. I think Smit and Moncrief have some power potential. Monsalve has been hitting pretty well considering he just turned 19. Rayl, Goodnight and Blair have put up decent statlines so far, but it would be nice to see some more strikeouts.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Good break down at each level. Barnes has been a pleasant surprise, in that he's hitting 96 now.
Phelps is not surprising he's just hitting as usual.
DeLaCruz has been pretty good expect the control to come around somewhat... Not sure it will ever be a strong suit but he can still turn into a nice starting prospect.
Cory Burns continues success, looks like a real arm.
Smit and Cannon have surprised while Toru Murata has been impressive good.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby allhailshapiro » Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 am

Wasn't sure where to put this question, but since he was one of my breakout candidates I guess this is the best place to ask this:

Where is Rob Bryson? I assume he is hurt, but what is the exact issue?
allhailshapiro
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 07, 2011 11:07 am

Bryson broke his foot or ankle in spring. I believe it wasn't baseball related. He should be returning to a mound soon. If I recall correctly late May or June was the expected return date.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Bryson broke his foot or ankle in spring. I believe it wasn't baseball related. He should be returning to a mound soon. If I recall correctly late May or June was the expected return date.

You are correct. Here is my writeup from spring training:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... k-320.html

Bryson has broken foot: Right-handed pitcher Rob Bryson was back at camp on Saturday with a cast on his right foot. In talking to him he suffered the injury the day before he was set to come to spring training while he was training and running poles at his high school facility when he stepped in a hole. He is expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks, and then go on a throwing program. Provided he has no setbacks, be will probably be out until sometime around the All Star break. What an unfortunate injury as he looked to be in great shape and got much stronger in his upper half over the offseason.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk