RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Edible14 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:26 am

Worst case scenario for this year with Haley (except for injuries) is that he ends up being viewed as a Connor Graham-type reliever by year's end. He'll stay in the rotation with the hope being that his accuracy and mechanics will be worked out, but he'll be fated for the 'pen.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jamooky » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Did LC just hit 7 homers in a 7 inning game?!?!?!?!

I'm guessing the wind was blowing out today?
Jamooky
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I have to agree he is the real "wild thing", but he's still only 20... Throwing 1 or 2 innings at 100+ mph would probably suit him better. Sad but he just doesn't seem to get it. Five yrs from now his pitching Indy ball somewhere or blowing away major league hitters... IF he gets it it will come fast. Maybe they need to slow him down a bit and work off of 2 or 3 pitches and try to add in his 3 or 4 pitch.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby toledobuck » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 pm

What is the ETA on LeVon Washington playing at LC?
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Strong outing for Goodnight.

Started the game BB, 2B, HR to fall behind 3-0 before retiring a hitter but then just allowed a single and a BB the rest of the way to probably finish with 6IP, 3H, 3R/ER, 2BB, 5K.

Captains lead 4-3 as Lavisky has hit his 3rd HR and Aguilar his 6th already (5th in his last 4 games!!).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby webba2000 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:02 am

Bartolone has 14 (!!!) errors so far. And he is batting .182 with an OBP .276...
:s_dunno
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby stayhumble » Tue May 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Gallas hit his 3rd also
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm

stayhumble wrote:Gallas hit his 3rd also

He has played well, as a college senior you would expect him to kill low A ball, nice to see a player taking advanatge of a chance in the one area are system is a bit barren
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:42 pm

jellis wrote:

He has played well, as a college senior you would expect him to kill low A ball, nice to see a player taking advanatge of a chance in the one area are system is a bit barren

For me he is quite a surprise, I figured he would be an extra body, but has really played himself into actual prospectdom(?). He will need to keep piling up the XBH's though and hope for a speedy exit to Kinston. Perhaps when Washington shows up he will be bumped up (based on his age/play) but if he is unlucky he might just get washed over.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm

How about Goodnight's start today?!

6IP, 1H, 1R/ER, 2BB, 10K!!

2.27ERA with a 9:29 BB:K ratio in 31.2IP this year.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby stayhumble » Wed May 04, 2011 8:25 am

Gallas rarely fails and is one of several players who were overlooked after their junior year of college. This should be his 3rd season in MILB. Obviously, the area scouts in NEOhio never thought much of him?

Athletic, nice size, OK for LF, runs OK, good hitter with power. Hope he keep progressing.
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby bmonnig » Wed May 04, 2011 9:22 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:How about Goodnight's start today?!

6IP, 1H, 1R/ER, 2BB, 10K!!

2.27ERA with a 9:29 BB:K ratio in 31.2IP this year.

How about Mike Rayl tonight?

7IP, 1H, 0R, 0BB, 11K, 6:0 GO/FO
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby criznit2009 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:52 pm

Right now I think head to head Lake County beats Kinston most games...Wow, they have a great team there - lots of prospects even without Washington and possibly Wolters there. The pitching looks great for the most part, it was nice to see Francisco Jimenez get a call up, as a "non-prospect" he has put up some awesome numbers. And the hitting, well ridiculously good. A couple guys are struggling but as a whole the line-up is very very strong from an offensive stand point. Wonder what will happen in a couple months when guys will NEED to be called up. How many will go, looks to me quite a few could move up this year.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jamooky » Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 pm

stayhumble wrote:Gallas rarely fails and is one of several players who were overlooked after their junior year of college. This should be his 3rd season in MILB. Obviously, the area scouts in NEOhio never thought much of him?

Athletic, nice size, OK for LF, runs OK, good hitter with power. Hope he keep progressing.

I was stunned he didn't get drafted. He had an outstanding college career. Kent State gets a lot of attention from MLB scouts, I have no idea why teams ignored him.
Jamooky
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Wed May 04, 2011 10:55 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
jellis wrote:

For me he is quite a surprise, I figured he would be an extra body, but has really played himself into actual prospectdom(?). He will need to keep piling up the XBH's though and hope for a speedy exit to Kinston. Perhaps when Washington shows up he will be bumped up (based on his age/play) but if he is unlucky he might just get washed over.

I agree. He may be a college senior and all, but you still have to go out and perform. Very few do that, so it is a bit simplistic to say you expect him to kill Low-A. I think there is a grain of salt to take from it as High-A will probably be his first real test, and a place he may get a shot to play at later this year. He may be a gem a la Brian Barton they unearthed at the end of the draft. I was very impressed with him this spring, and whenever the hell I get out back to the fields he is one of the first guys I plan to talk to as I am intrigued about him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed May 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow, Rayl with an outstanding outing tonight (and Goodnight last night). Rayl is really coming on, and is a guy the org likes. Not a powerful guy, but knows how to pitch. I said it earlier in the year, he could be your Matt Packer kind of guy this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Who pitches on thursday 5/5?? I'm thinking of driving out & taking in a game.

Gas prices are convincing me to cancel my considered trip to cbus for their game at 11:35 am.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed May 04, 2011 11:21 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Who pitches on thursday 5/5?? I'm thinking of driving out & taking in a game.

Gas prices are convincing me to cancel my considered trip to cbus for their game at 11:35 am.

Kyle Blair is scheduled.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stayhumble » Thu May 05, 2011 8:45 am

A Gallas interview would be interesting from a perspective of a college player who put up numbers as good as anyone drafted in the first 5 rounds, going undrafted as a junior, and senior, and becomes a NDFA.

The player before him, Greg Rohan(Cubs/Peoria) went undrafted as a junior, but did get a senior sign in round 21, and is currently smacking the ball around.

The next in line of Kent State hitters is Ben Klafczynski. He went undrafted as a junior but a few scouts said he turned down offers in the teen rounds to return as a senior. In the Draft thread, I posted some college hitting info and he was included in the group. The difference with him is a 6'3 205lb frame(room to grow like Springer), and advanced bat from the left side, and a plus ML arm from RF.

Here are a couple web quotes I saw about him:

http://www.5tooltalk.com/2011-notes-3-5-11.html

"If you’re like me, you have probably referred to Klafczynski (pronounced Klaf-CHIN-ski) as Ben K. He’s an aggressive and well built left-handed hitter that physically resembles Larry Walker and Jay Bruce. He’s not afraid to swing early in the count if he sees a pitch he likes, and can put a charge in the ball. He has done a better job during his college career improving his plate discipline, but may be looking to dispel questions about his overall power potential by taking such aggressive hacks.
He moves alright in the outfield, with average speed for a corner outfielder and a good throwing arm. He gunned down a runner in this game at home, the potential tying run, in the bottom of the eighth. He then proceeded to hit a solo shot the opposite way down the left field line in the top of the ninth, showing his power to all fields. The ball really jumped off of his bat in that at-bat, and he had a few others in which he made strong contact."

"OF, Ben Klafczynski, Kent U, 6’2 1/2 200, L/R, plus ML arm strength, ave runner straight away, above ave raw power, ave to plus hitting skills. Can play either OF corner. Senior with no bargainability, enough tools to make climb up the ladder quickly with the right organization."

http://xmlbscout.angelfire.com
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Thu May 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Haven't looked in at Ben K, this year, but the big issue for him is bouncing back. His power numbers took a drop then rebounded a bit, I know from what I read there was concern about a perceived lack of growth. I have not see how he is doing this year, but as a former suburban leaguer myself I wish him well.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Blair with a no-hitter after 5... Aguilar his 7th homer (now with 24 RBI's)... one earned run on 3 walks and a HBP to go with 6 k's for Blair...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Any plans to fill the 25th roster spot? I haven't seen a move yet.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Wheels fall of in 9-8 loss, Blair gives up 3 hits and 4 earned runs... pen blows the lead... Lavisky 0-4 with 4 K's!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:20 pm

I was at the game tonight. Walked up and got 1st row, end of row behind the plate. Here are my observations.

Matchup of both organizations #11 prospects per Baseball America. All 4 homers (by LC and by BG) were bombs.
Alex Lavisky's 4ks were 2 swinging and 2 called. He looked so lost at the plate I was having flashbacks to LaPorta on a bad day.

Jesus Aguilar (still shy of his 21st bday) reminds me of Andre Thorton at the plate size wise. Fielding wise it is clear he still needs work - but that is what the minors is for.

Umps blew a call against both teams and the one against the Captains hurt - they called a DP against LC in the 6th when the runner was safe at 2nd. Tyler Cannon then grounded out 5-3 to end the inning. Giovanny started the 7th with the bomb to left - was a solo and should have been a 2 run blast.

Unlike Enny Romero (the BG starter), at times I could see why Kyle Blair is highly thought of. But it appeared he was fighting himself most of the night. Until the 6th Kyle was lucky most balls were hit at his fielders.

Jason Smit came out before his PA to start the 5th. Not sure the reason but it was clear later - his bat would have been more desireable behind Jesus instead of Brian Heere.

No Alex Monsalve but Dwight Childs played well behind the plate throwing out an attempted steal of 3rd after JD Reichenbach entered the game in the 6th with a runner on 2nd.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat May 07, 2011 12:09 am

Solid debut for LeVon Washington going 1-for-4 with a BB and SB. Excited to see what he can do and what he shows this season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stayhumble » Sat May 07, 2011 8:12 am

jellis wrote:Haven't looked in at Ben K, this year, but the big issue for him is bouncing back. His power numbers took a drop then rebounded a bit, I know from what I read there was concern about a perceived lack of growth. I have not see how he is doing this year, but as a former suburban leaguer myself I wish him well.

Heard that "drop" in 2009 was a combination of playing through injuries(sprained elbow and wrist) plus swing changes.

Since then, .359/.457/.632 with 37 doubles, 5 triples, 18 HR's plus a 88% contact rate.

Some team will get a bargain.
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby stayhumble » Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 am

Notes: Gallas leads the Midwest League with 14 doubles. A 2006 Strongsville High School graduate, Gallas slugged 49 home runs in four seasons at Kent State before signing with the Indians as an undrafted free agent last year. He is 35-for-102 with three homers....

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... rt_50.html
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Mon May 09, 2011 10:16 am

stayhumble wrote:Notes: Gallas leads the Midwest League with 14 doubles. A 2006 Strongsville High School graduate, Gallas slugged 49 home runs in four seasons at Kent State before signing with the Indians as an undrafted free agent last year. He is 35-for-102 with three homers....

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... rt_50.html

You family or a friend, just curious. I respect what he is doing, but as a college senior if he wasn't killing low A, full of much younger players it would be a concern
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby stayhumble » Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 am

No, just someone who follows minor league baseball and draft slots versus production, and have followed the Great Lakes region for over 10 years observing player development from high school, thru college, and pro ball.

I disagree on the comment "killing low A"

I also disagree on the "senior sign" concept, especially when the production doesn't correlate with the reasons why certain players get overlooked.

There are many 2010 drafted juniors who still remain "unassigned". Chances are, many will be filtered BACK into rookie league or short A. Who is currently ahead of the game, the undrafted senior in A or the drafted junior in short A/Rookie? The age difference is ONE YEAR regarding these players.

There are also many drafted 2010 juniors NOT "killing low A"

I feel each player stands alone versus being categorized. Every now and then, decision makers get it wrong. In this case, so far, the Tribe is ahead with a solid player in the fold for the cost of airfare.
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Mon May 09, 2011 3:05 pm

stayhumble wrote:No, just someone who follows minor league baseball and draft slots versus production, and have followed the Great Lakes region for over 10 years observing player development from high school, thru college, and pro ball.

I disagree on the comment "killing low A"

I also disagree on the "senior sign" concept, especially when the production doesn't correlate with the reasons why certain players get overlooked.

There are many 2010 drafted juniors who still remain "unassigned". Chances are, many will be filtered BACK into rookie league or short A. Who is currently ahead of the game, the undrafted senior in A or the drafted junior in short A/Rookie? The age difference is ONE YEAR regarding these players.

There are also many drafted 2010 juniors NOT "killing low A"

I feel each player stands alone versus being categorized. Every now and then, decision makers get it wrong. In this case, so far, the Tribe is ahead with a solid player in the fold for the cost of airfare.

He is doing what you want him to do, I think he has made a mark on people. I hope he keeps it up, but until he gets to a higher level and I hope he does get a shot this year, the general book view on him right or wrong will be on the level he is facing. I hope he proves them wrong. A lot of solid players go unnoticed, and you cant argue his production. To a degree I was doing devils advocate, but I am also a person in general who is not impressed by many college guys in the lower levels. I am sure many people remember me trying to temper Kipnis enthusiasm after his first year. He proved me wrong which I love, but just from my point of view I tend to see guys in respect to age and level. If you look at a spec like Pomeranz or White who were juniors they got the jump to high A, hopefully he gets there and still kills.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon May 09, 2011 4:21 pm

I think the domino effect from the Gomez send down to C-Bus (with no consequent call up - Carrasco will be coming off the DL) will fill the 25th roster spot in LC.

http://blog.dispatch.com/clippers/2011/ ... pers.shtml
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Mon May 09, 2011 5:12 pm

With the arrival of Washington, outfield with Moncrief and Gallas is definitely an exciting one to watch in the Tribe system. Add to that the corner infielders of Aguilar and Urshela, quite a fun group to watch and see how they develop with Wolters to come. Lots of really interesting prospects to watch in LC.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 09, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm really impressed by what Gallas is doing. I will disagree with Jeff a little on this. I think Gallas has a LONG way to go before he gets more recognition from scouts/teams and people start believing, but you absolutely cannot argue with the wide range of tools he is showing. Kind of reminds me of Brian Barton who back in 2005 jumped onto the scene in Lake County/Kinston as a UDFA.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Mon May 09, 2011 6:02 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I'm really impressed by what Gallas is doing. I will disagree with Jeff a little on this. I think Gallas has a LONG way to go before he gets more recognition from scouts/teams and people start believing, but you absolutely cannot argue with the wide range of tools he is showing. Kind of reminds me of Brian Barton who back in 2005 jumped onto the scene in Lake County/Kinston as a UDFA.

I might have phrased it wrong, I think he has to prove a lot too. I just am not sure if he will be able to truely open eyes at low A
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby stayhumble » Mon May 09, 2011 10:17 pm

The point I was making is that this player had the production and ability to be drafted as a junior, and wasn't.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... _gall.html
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Ebby Calvin » Wed May 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Sorry guys but I have to disagree. Sure, Haley hasn't done much to justify where he was drafted, but the kid isn't even 21 years old yet. He could still be in college right now. We all like to think that early round draft picks should be contributing at the big league level, but it doesn't always work that way. Give the kid some time, and we'll see what happens.

Now I'm not saying that I think the kid is a lock to be a big leaguer, but I'm not about to write him off as a bust either. Let's just wait and see how this young player develops before we throw him under the bus.
I think I need a nickname.
Ebby Calvin
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Wed May 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Ebby Calvin wrote:Sorry guys but I have to disagree. Sure, Haley hasn't done much to justify where he was drafted, but the kid isn't even 21 years old yet. He could still be in college right now. We all like to think that early round draft picks should be contributing at the big league level, but it doesn't always work that way. Give the kid some time, and we'll see what happens.

Now I'm not saying that I think the kid is a lock to be a big leaguer, but I'm not about to write him off as a bust either. Let's just wait and see how this young player develops before we throw him under the bus.

Agree on Haley. He's shut down right now because he is a mess mechanically/mentally....and I think very soon he is going to be moved to the bullpen for good. I'm speculating on that part as no one has told me or hinted so. A bully move may do him some good, and no doubt he has the talent to be dominating in short stints. Could be what kicks things into gear for him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Hope youre right about moving him to the bullpen that would make a lot of sense
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby criznit2009 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Hmm is it time to send Gallas to Kinston? That team could use some offense. How is his defense? Is it possible he could play some 1B too?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu May 12, 2011 2:10 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Ebby Calvin wrote:Sorry guys but I have to disagree. Sure, Haley hasn't done much to justify where he was drafted, but the kid isn't even 21 years old yet. He could still be in college right now. We all like to think that early round draft picks should be contributing at the big league level, but it doesn't always work that way. Give the kid some time, and we'll see what happens.

Agree on Haley. He's shut down right now because he is a mess mechanically/mentally....and I think very soon he is going to be moved to the bullpen for good. I'm speculating on that part as no one has told me or hinted so. A bully move may do him some good, and no doubt he has the talent to be dominating in short stints. Could be what kicks things into gear for him.

My latest guess on the roster shortage. They are keeping a roster spot open for Haley when he's done with his transition to the bullpen in "Mahoning Valley :biggrin: :s_wink :pleasantry: "
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu May 12, 2011 5:43 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Hmm is it time to send Gallas to Kinston? That team could use some offense. How is his defense? Is it possible he could play some 1B too?

It's possible....but nowhere to play him with Abreu, Greenwell, and Holt all there and higher priority prospects. Also Smit there as a 4th outfielder. I think if anyone moves up it will be Moncrief and then Gallas, but you never know. Unfortunately Gallas has to cut through a lot of red tap as a UDFA and low priority prospect....but he has certainly done a lot of cutting. He keeps this up then I could see once the first half is done in mid-June him being pushed to Kinston.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stayhumble » Thu May 12, 2011 8:22 pm

The investment, or lack thereof does dictate who advances first. But that doesn't mean it is correct.

In these days of internet instant info and hype, once the electronic media starts gyrating and churning, and the
copy and paste guys catch on, the world of real prospects turns into a media blitz and skews results.

Northern players get totally lost in the blitz, and creates an uphill battle for area scouts who "adopt" their players.

In other words, the field of play entering the draft should dictate talent, not Baseball America, Perfect Game, and all the other experts out there.

Listen, you want to fall in love with Rendon, go right ahead, but do some research before you do. I find it hard to believe someone wants to dole out 5-6M for a player that has no wood bat history, a pedestrian BBCOR history, and OK for the other tools, average athleticism, not a great body type, and, amidst a shoulder issue, claimed a preference for BMW over MB?

Those of you who have scout friends, ask them truly about the power difference with BBCOR versus BESR, mainly the sweetspot size.

By the way, Gallas just homered??????
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 pm

stayhumble wrote:The investment, or lack thereof does dictate who advances first. But that doesn't mean it is correct.

In these days of internet instant info and hype, once the electronic media starts gyrating and churning, and the
copy and paste guys catch on, the world of real prospects turns into a media blitz and skews results.

Northern players get totally lost in the blitz, and creates an uphill battle for area scouts who "adopt" their players.

In other words, the field of play entering the draft should dictate talent, not Baseball America, Perfect Game, and all the other experts out there.

Listen, you want to fall in love with Rendon, go right ahead, but do some research before you do. I find it hard to believe someone wants to dole out 5-6M for a player that has no wood bat history, a pedestrian BBCOR history, and OK for the other tools, average athleticism, not a great body type, and, amidst a shoulder issue, claimed a preference for BMW over MB?

Those of you who have scout friends, ask them truly about the power difference with BBCOR versus BESR, mainly the sweetspot size.

By the way, Gallas just homered??????

You make solid points, but guys they have invested in will always get first chance and the bad situation for Gallas is he is buried, not a chance for a move up unless another player moves. He hits all year he turns himself into a prospect and its the best thing he can do
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Gallas.... Can he possibly play 1st base?? Same thing with Cannon - one of these guys needs to get to Kinston as soon as possible. They are playing extremely well and look at that infield in Kinston, it is pretty weak. Cannon should be there. Gallas is blocked by OF prospects, needs to wait for Greenwell or Abreu. Great hitting (so far) in the lower levels is something the tribe lacks overall and a big part of that is, there weren't that many hitting prospects to begin with. That in mind, considering age/projection/whatever of guys like Cannon and Gallas they are not valued prospects to be blunt. But thats the exact reason to ride them hard! They should be pushed when they are excelling, find that ceiling, find that floor. Especially this year when there are not many (any?) high priority guys in the Kinston infield. Basically, because of their assumed value when aquired they are rogues, bonuses, filler and expected to bottom out. This is usually pretty accurate, but considering the current state of the Kinston infield Cannon should move right in any where. By the end of the month a few moves will get made or should get made, I assume Wolters opens in Lake County now and pick one of Wright, Rayl, Goodnight, Blair for Poms spot. Also, Cannon and/or Gallas are playing everyday in some spot in Kinston.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Fri May 13, 2011 4:05 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Gallas.... Can he possibly play 1st base?? Same thing with Cannon - one of these guys needs to get to Kinston as soon as possible. They are playing extremely well and look at that infield in Kinston, it is pretty weak. Cannon should be there. Gallas is blocked by OF prospects, needs to wait for Greenwell or Abreu. Great hitting (so far) in the lower levels is something the tribe lacks overall and a big part of that is, there weren't that many hitting prospects to begin with. That in mind, considering age/projection/whatever of guys like Cannon and Gallas they are not valued prospects to be blunt. But thats the exact reason to ride them hard! They should be pushed when they are excelling, find that ceiling, find that floor. Especially this year when there are not many (any?) high priority guys in the Kinston infield. Basically, because of their assumed value when aquired they are rogues, bonuses, filler and expected to bottom out. This is usually pretty accurate, but considering the current state of the Kinston infield Cannon should move right in any where. By the end of the month a few moves will get made or should get made, I assume Wolters opens in Lake County now and pick one of Wright, Rayl, Goodnight, Blair for Poms spot. Also, Cannon and/or Gallas are playing everyday in some spot in Kinston.

Cannon and Gallas are very similar as they were seniors, who have been viewed as organizational filler. They are doing what they need to do, they should and are killing AAA. Since Cannon is more versatile and was a draft pick I would expect him to get the first call, just the nature of the system
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:56 pm

jellis wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Gallas.... Can he possibly play 1st base?? Same thing with Cannon - one of these guys needs to get to Kinston as soon as possible. They are playing extremely well and look at that infield in Kinston, it is pretty weak. Cannon should be there. Gallas is blocked by OF prospects, needs to wait for Greenwell or Abreu. Great hitting (so far) in the lower levels is something the tribe lacks overall and a big part of that is, there weren't that many hitting prospects to begin with. That in mind, considering age/projection/whatever of guys like Cannon and Gallas they are not valued prospects to be blunt. But thats the exact reason to ride them hard! They should be pushed when they are excelling, find that ceiling, find that floor. Especially this year when there are not many (any?) high priority guys in the Kinston infield. Basically, because of their assumed value when aquired they are rogues, bonuses, filler and expected to bottom out. This is usually pretty accurate, but considering the current state of the Kinston infield Cannon should move right in any where. By the end of the month a few moves will get made or should get made, I assume Wolters opens in Lake County now and pick one of Wright, Rayl, Goodnight, Blair for Poms spot. Also, Cannon and/or Gallas are playing everyday in some spot in Kinston.

Cannon and Gallas are very similar as they were seniors, who have been viewed as organizational filler. They are doing what they need to do, they should and are killing AAA. Since Cannon is more versatile and was a draft pick I would expect him to get the first call, just the nature of the system

Looks like I got part of my wish - Cannon assigned to Kinston today!!!!!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Trey Haley worked out of the pen tonight..... a perfect 8th inning with a K.... I guess the move has been made!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat May 14, 2011 7:47 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Trey Haley worked out of the pen tonight..... a perfect 8th inning with a K.... I guess the move has been made!

:angel:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 pm

As a guy whose favorite player was Phil Niekro, I would love to see Wright pitch to get a look at his knuckler. How long does he stay in LC?
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu May 19, 2011 3:42 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:As a guy whose favorite player was Phil Niekro, I would love to see Wright pitch to get a look at his knuckler. How long does he stay in LC?

I give him one more start....maybe two before he goes to Kinston (and Pomeranz goes to Akron).

Indians have a backlogue of starters everywhere. Have to get Talbot and Knapp back into the mix too, so will be interesting how they get all these guys in.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk